Featherweight club !

Actually, my maintenance intake is about 1700 cals per day. If I eat 2000 cals, I gain weight. If I want to lose 1 lb per week, whick is healthy, I need to cut down 500 cals per day, which is an intake of 1200 cals per day, as I'm not working out.

If someone that need to lose 50-100 lbs eat 1200 cals a day in the begining, they will never reach their goal, as their body will adapt.. Obese people start out with 2000 cals a day and lose weight.

You look like you know nothing about weight loss.

Last edited:
If someone that need to lose 50-100 lbs eat 1200 cals a day in the begining, they will never reach their goal, as their body will adapt.. Obese people start out with 2000 cals a day and lose weight.

You look like you know nothing about weight loss.

actually..incorrect. You can't just throw a blanket statement out there like that. Does the body adapt? yes but that can be overcome.

I'm 26, 5'7.5 & my goal weight is 120lbs (CW: 136lbs). At 120lbs, my ribs aren't showing but my stomach is completely toned & I feel comfortable in my clothes.

When I was 22, I dropped to 110lbs. I didn't have a car & I had to walk about an hour everyday over really hilly terrain. I was also depressed about a relationship so I wasn't eating enough. I didn't realize how much weight I had lost until I saw the look in my family's eyes when they picked me up from the airport. 110lbs was scary for me - you could see my back-bone when I took my shirt off. And my energy level was really low too.

I understand standard BMI doesn't work for everyone - 136lbs should be perfect for a 5'7.5 woman but my frame is so small that I have 15lbs of fat pads all over me right now (it's gross). But the healthy range of someone in my height is between 118-151lbs & the 118lbs takes into account people who are very small-boned like me.

But at 100lbs, your BMI would be 17.7 - even taking small frame into account, 17.7 BMI is probably too low when the healthy minimum is 18.5.

At 104lbs & 5'3, you sound perfect for a small-boned girl because you're right at the absolute healthy minimum. The healthy BMI range for your height is between 104lbs - 140lbs.

I wouldn't say anything if you were eating like your friend. But you said you are obsessed with your weight & checking scales all the time - you are here on a dieting website when you're already small. These are all bad signs & point towards eating disorders.

I don't know if you will find someone here who is willing to support you in doing this.

It's funny that you decided to lend credibility to your weight goal, by indicating how you "look" with respect to your BMI. Looks are a subjective measurement, and although you are in the "healthy" range of BMI, you are saying that you need to lose weight because you want to "look" better.

That is the same for everyone. You seem to be obsessed with vanity, not just a "healthy" BMI. See the failure in your logic, by arguing?

My wife is 92 pounds, and has a great body. That being said, she has some fat right under her tush, that she wants to get rid of. Now, she is "underweight" according to BMI, and her ribs are not even close to showing. She is 5-0". Now, according to your rationalle above, it's okay for my wife to continue losing weight, because her ribs aren't showing... see the failure in logic now?

If you cant be supportive for someone trying to lose weight, stay off the thread. The fact that people feel the need to come on here and BASH her goal, is disgusting to me.

Here is why your logic failed. (this is an excerpt from an article on BMI I like):

The CDC says on its Web site that "the BMI is a reliable indicator of body fatness for people." This is a fundamental error of logic. For example, if I tell you my birthday present is a bicycle, you can conclude that my present has wheels. That's correct logic. But it does not work the other way round. If I tell you my birthday present has wheels, you cannot conclude I got a bicycle. I could have received a car. Because of how Quetelet (200 year old mathematician that created BMI) came up with it, if a person is fat or obese, he or she will have a high BMI. But as with my birthday present, it doesn't work the other way round. A high BMI does not mean an individual is even overweight, let alone obese. It could mean the person is fit and healthy, with very little fat.

this works the other way around. You can't say she has a BMI of 17, and conclude she is underweight... basically, FAIL

Everyone is different.
The numbers given should be taken as guides and used to help estimate your health status and where to go from there.

Here is why your logic failed. (this is an excerpt from an article on BMI I like):

The CDC says on its Web site that "the BMI is a reliable indicator of body fatness for people." This is a fundamental error of logic. For example, if I tell you my birthday present is a bicycle, you can conclude that my present has wheels. That's correct logic. But it does not work the other way round. If I tell you my birthday present has wheels, you cannot conclude I got a bicycle. I could have received a car. Because of how Quetelet (200 year old mathematician that created BMI) came up with it, if a person is fat or obese, he or she will have a high BMI. But as with my birthday present, it doesn't work the other way round. A high BMI does not mean an individual is even overweight, let alone obese. It could mean the person is fit and healthy, with very little fat.

this works the other way around. You can't say she has a BMI of 17, and conclude she is underweight... basically, FAIL

I don't think you read my post very carefully. If your wife is taking her minimum caloric intake required I have nothing to say about her BMI. I explained my problem with Magalo's attitude in my first post:

"I wouldn't say anything if you were eating like your friend. But you said you are obsessed with your weight & checking scales all the time - you are here on a dieting website when you're already small. These are all bad signs & point towards eating disorders."

I can't be supportive of a 17 year old girl who is still growing limiting her calories to 1200-1500 calories a day when she is perfectly healthy. If she was like her friend 5'3 & 95lbs & eating properly - I would accept that BMI would not apply to her.

She says she needs 1700 cal a day - I don't know if I agree with this # for a highschool girl but I'll accept it because she might be absolutely 100% the laziest person who does nothing. But she is eating 500 calories less than what she needs every single day - given that she has had to diet herself down to 104lbs (healthy) from 120lbs (also healthy), it is ridiculous to try to get her body down past the healthy BMI.

I am a medical student & I've seen people like Magalo who do this - it starts with severe calorie limiting like what she is doing & then it gets worse. This girl is fixated on a certain number (100lbs) - that scares me even more.

There is a certain mindset that people who are in danger of slipping into eating disorder - obsessing over the scale, fixating on a certain weight, calorie limiting when she is already dieted herself down to the minimum healthy weight. Magalo has said she has done all of this - her BMI being 18.4 & the minimum for an average body type is just one part of the equation.

I don't think Magalo has anorexia right now because she's still eating a "reasonable" amount (although not enough for her body) & she is not exercising herself to death. But severe dieting like this can often become an ED.

I doubt she's actually going to listen to this - I can't support her goals & I think it's the community responsibility to atleast try to explain our point if we see something that doesn't make sense. If she chooses to ignore me, that's up to her. If you choose to say that I 'FAIL' for pointing out the obvious, that's up to you.

I think it would be a lot more reasonable if she picked up her calories to 2000 & then burnt off 500 calories by biking for 1.5hrs. She would still lose weight but she would be much healthier & trimmer.

If you can find one doctor who will condone what she is wants to do at her weight, I won't say anything else.

As for my personal weight loss goals - I don't like fat all the extra fat hanging off my body; 2 years ago, I could hike 10hr days in canyon country without getting winded. Now, I can't walk 1.5hrs without breaking into a serious sweat. My energy level is a lot lower than it was & my clothes don't fit right. If you think it's vanity for me to want to feel healthier & more comfortable in my own body - I really don't know what to say... I thought we were all here for that reason.

I don't know where you invented the ''Magalo is obsessing over her weight" thing. Actually, I'm not. 100 lbs was my personnal goal when I was 120 lbs. And I still want to reach it even though I feel great right now, because I think you just CAN'T stop 3-4 lbs before your goal. I'm actually pretty healthy: no ribs showing, no scrawny legs, etc.

BMI was invented 100 years ago, it's an ESTIMATE. 20 lbs below healthy BMI is alarming. 3 lbs below ? Not.

For your info, I stopped growing 2-3 years ago. And I'm not in highschool anymore.

Anyway even if I WANTED to eat 2000 calories, I'm just not able. I don't have a big appetite, and it's actually pretty easy for me to eat 1000-1200 cals, I almost don't need to restrict myself: my normal amount is between 1500-1700 if I'm not counting. 2000 calories would be STUFFING MY FACE all day long, feeling bloated and heavy, which is NOT normal and healthy.

And no, I'm not exercising for the simple fact that I don't have any time to do it during school. I don't exercise in winter because it's too cold outside, I live in Canada and the temperature is below 0 farhenheit each day. And as a modest student, I can't afford the 500$/year needed for a gym. I exercise in summer, and by consequent, I add to my calorie intake.

Since you don't know me, I don't think you are in position to bash me like this, exagerating everything I said to make your arguments stronger.

Magalo, as long as you are in contact with your doctor and he says you are fine, then don't worry about it. You are right about BMI, it wasn't even designed to estimate ideal weight. We had this whole debate earlier about this forum thread. You aren't pushing eating disorders so you are fine.

I know and I'd love if people stop harassing me.

You have to understand where they are coming from also Magalo.
Sure some may have jumped to conclusions about you. But other people are just concerned and want to make sure you are trying to stay healthy, just like I was when I first posted.
Some of us just wanted to check on you and make sure your thinking was in the right place regarding weight loss.

This site gets so many different types of people that join every day and a lot of them are completely lost. Others have the wrong idea about how to go about losing weight. And these new people can possibly need a little guidance to ease them into the right frame of mind.

Remember my first post? This is what I was warning you about
. Don't get too bothered by it. Just know that we are here to help you. We're on your side.

If you're going about everything the safe and healthy way don't worry about it.

As far as BMI goes:
Everyone is different.
The numbers given should be taken as guides and used to help estimate your health status and where to go from there.

I'm not trying to bash you Magalo - I'm just going by the information you've provided to point out the obvious risk you're putting yourself at.

I also did not exaggerate what you said. I said you are "obsessing over the scale, fixating on a certain weight, calorie limiting when she is already dieted herself down to the minimum healthy weight." You talk about this in your very first post.

My stats are 31-24.5-34 ! (bust-waist-hips) And my thighs are 19 inches. It's definetly my biggest obsession. I weight myself almost every day too.

Your measurements don't leave a lot of room for maneuvering - you're healthy but very small & you've gotten this way from calorie-limiting.

You have said yourself you are fixated on getting to 100lbs - I doubt you talked to a doctor to come to that conclusion. If I were to take a guess, I'd think you compared yourself to your 95lb friend or maybe to celebrities to come to 100lbs or you might've even pulled it out of thin air.

And your last post just sent off even more warning signals because now you say you're limiting to 1000-1200 calories a day - that's beyond ridiculous.

5'3, 100lb, BMI-17.7, bust below 31', & limiting calories to 1000-1200 calories a day --> not a good sign from a doctor's POV.

You say I don't know you & I shouldn't assume things. But I know how the human body works & I know statistics - & all the data that you gave (including the fact that you used to be 120lbs with a 29' waist) suggests that you're not naturally built to have a BMI 17.7. Whether you choose to listen to reason or not is really up to you.

You don't have an ED right now - but you're putting yourself at risk for developing one.

By the way - even small universities usually have gyms free for their students. So I would check out that option to see if you can get a little more exercise.

Reactions: Tik
By the way - even small universities usually have gyms free for their students. So I would check out that option to see if you can get a little more exercise.

Great tip. Why didn't I think to mention that to her. lol ^_^ My school also has a huge gym that students are allowed to use for free. We also have a separate cafeteria from the main one for healthy eating. There are great options out there for students.

I'm not in a university, I'm in Cegep which you don't have in USA. There's a free gym, but I only go to school 3 days/week and its not open when I'm there. Its frustrating.

And my obsession is not about my weight but my thighs, I've always hated them. Like you can be obsessing over your stomach or arms.

I don't eat under 1200 cals a day!

sigh........

Anyway even if I WANTED to eat 2000 calories, I'm just not able. I don't have a big appetite, and it's actually pretty easy for me to eat 1000-1200 cals, I almost don't need to restrict myself: my normal amount is between 1500-1700 if I'm not counting.

& honestly - if you just dance in your room to an aerobic video (found all over youtube) 3 days/wk for 30 min - that's better than no exercise.

The facts are staring at you in the face - I really am curious if you think what you're doing is good for your health now or even your future BMR.

Last edited:
I've been reading this thread for a while and I'd like to say to flame_retardant that I really think you've made your point and there's no need to labour it.

Magalo is not hurting anyone else and, personally, I don't think it seems like she's hurting herself either. Furthermore, it seems to me that you're judging her based mostly on her size, which surely on a forum like this, whether someone is big or small, is unfair.

You've certainly made some valid points but I don't think they seem to be helping very much - I mean you must have noticed you're only making her increasingly defensive?

Additionally, you are not qualified to diagnose anyone with an eating disorder. And more so, if someone was showing signs of an eating disorder you're not helping them by giving them a lecture.

I really think you've got to appreciate that telling someone they're 'heading for an eating disorder' is a heavy and very personal statement to make. You should surely know, as a medical student, that throwing around a diagnosis (especially one that is simply based on some statements made on an internet forum!) is not a smart way to help people - particularly if said diagnosis carries stigma and significant meaning to many people.

Basically, I think you've made your point now and you'd be smart to leave the whole subject/Magalo alone.

But that's just my opinion and I apologise for stepping into thread that hadn't previously involved me/speaking on Magalo's behalf.

Also, I apologise for ranting slightly!

Last edited:
I agree with Holly--Whilst I agree that Magalo does not need to be dieting right now, you have made your point and I don't think it is anyones job to inform her that she is at risk of getting an ED. This thread may take a (more) nasty turn for the worse once friendly advice borders onto lecturing and giving advice where it has not been asked for.

Holly, you're right that I've made my point. You're also right that she's absolutely not in the mind-frame to listen so she becomes more defensive as this goes on.

I just have to correct one thing that you've said: I didn't say she's 'heading' for an eating disorder & I definitely didn't diagnose her as having ED - I said that she's at a higher risk for developing one given what she's posted.

Holly & Sunflower - I am sure whether it's friendly advice or lecturing, Magalo isn't going to listen to me. If you even go back to her very first reply in this thread, she's defensive about her dieting & starts screaming that she doesn't have an ED right from the get-go. That implies she's had this conversation before - obviously without any change in her thinking.

I've seen other slim girls who limit their caloric intake to this degree - but they don't have any delusions that what they're doing is healthy. Magalo is a strange one 'cus I think she really believes that what she's doing is healthy - she really seems to think she knows better than decades & decades of research. I am quite curious why.

I apologise for misquoting you, although my point remains. Also I didn't mean to imply you were diagnosing her, as in the verb, I simply meant you were often using a diagnosis, as in noun, to describe her. However these are insignificant points and I only mean to clarify here, not perpetuate this any longer.

I'm going to leave well alone now.

Last edited:
Hey dude just to say I'd like to join your page, and I'm also French, i weigh a lot less than most people on this forum but that's because i'm an ultra small build. It'd be nice to be able to tell people my weight and weight goals without people jumping to the conclusion automatically that i have an eating disorder. I have a very small amount of weight to lose in a sensible way and I'm totally realistic about what i want to achieve, it'd be great if i could share my targets with someone and get some support so I'm looking for someone who's in the same boat as me if there's anyone out there :p

Hello Amy-jane. ^_^

Back