Dog Walkers Club

Hey, I am new here. Also have a lovely dog Lucky, the most hyperactive dog ever. Can you imagine me keeping up with her? It is a really tough job. She can run around for three hours and she would be going on even longer if I was up for it :) Once I took her with me on a two and a half hour bicycle ride with quite a tempo. I was convinced she will be tired when we got home, but instead of taking a rest she brought me her toys to play with her immediately :)

^ My dog does that same thing! Even when I took her on the longest walks, the first thing she did when we got home was bring me a toy to play with her! I've finally outpaced her though and am in better shape than she is (or at least willing to push myself harder!). After a 2 mile run, little Kali is out for the rest of the morning!

Anyway, welcome aboard! We all keep track of our mileage and add on to the running total whenever we can. I try to do it everyday and others log in once a week. Just today we met a mini-goal and are on our way to our final goal of this challenge which is 162 miles more. Help us get there by Sept 1st!

Hey, welcome jannybee and your canine companion.
What kind of dog is Lucky, a border collie? Sounds like he is a pretty entertaining pooch.

Would love to have you particpate and add your walked/biked miles with the pup in our totals. As madness mentioned, we are on our final stretch to Boston, Mass. Just be sure when you post your miles (daily or weekly), list the previous total, and then your total for a new total.

Would love to see a picture of Lucky!

Half a mile last night and 3 miles this morning. It was supposed to be my run day, but I'm feeling a bit off (sore throat and headache) and figured that a full blown run would probably leave me in bed half the weekend and I don't want that!

So that's another 3.5 miles for a new total of 222.6 miles!

This weather is still brutal. The one morning I attempted to walk my poor dogs and due to the heat and direct sun we could only manage a mile. My mother had wanted to walk before work but it was just too cruel to subject our babies to that. And one day I didn't walk with them because I opted to visit a friend in the evening. I'm allowed to have a social life!

222.6 miles + 11 miles = 233.6 miles

Ran 2 miles yesterday morning, walked 2 miles last night and another 2 miles this morning.

So 6 miles for a new total of 239.6 miles!

I've been rather selfish this week, and not taken the dog out for his much needed/deserved walks.

Hope to get one in this evening!

I took last week "off" for recording purposes since I felt like I was more interested in the numbers than how I was feeling. So I'm back this week and will be writing down the miles again! It was nice to not analyze every last detail for awhile, but I did find myself slacking because of it.

Took Finnegan for a walk last night. He did really well for not having been walked in a while . . . till just before we got home and he saw some rabbits. UGGG! bark bark bark, pull pull pull etc.

Add 1.5miles to 239.6 miles = New Total of 241.1

I'm finally getting good about going out for that extra 0.5 mile at night. I haven't added the third walk that I promised and I'm not sure I will since my work schedule has changed. This morning I managed to get a few blocks down the street before my fiance called me...he forgot the tapes for a shoot he was doing in downtown! Doh! So I had to race home and drive down there and then I had to get to work. So only 0.5 mile this morning!

Another mile for a new total of 242.6 miles!

so yeah... then i have to join you guys :) because i'm a dog walker too, and i think this is what keeps me on my 147 pounds. i'm pretty sure that i would gain more weight, if i wouldn't have a dog and wouldn't go for walks three or four times a day !!!

i have a whippet/pointer cross girl, which is approx. 4 years old. she loves to run, and i always have her walking without leash. so i just walk like normal.

unfortunately she is a boring dog. i tryed to ride bicycle with her, but she hated it. she always wants to stop for sniffing on the ground and gras and everywhere. you could see in her face that she really hated it...

then i tryed to go jogging with her, but it's the same problem like with bicycle riding... she hated it, because she want to sniff here, and sniff there and if i don't allow it, because i want to run, then she is looking at me like... I HAT THAT ...

so yeah... she don't like to play with balls, she don't like to play with frisbee, she even don't like to play with wood sticks... :smash:

everything what she loves when we are outside is, to play with other dogs, to sniff everywhere, to run and run and run for wild tracks ... :svengo:

so... but i still looooove to walk my dog and i really love her, how she is... :Angel_anim:

i walk her in the morning approx. 45 minutes, in the noon minimum 10 min. (if it is to hot out) and maximum 30 minutes (if it is not to hot out), then in the afternoon we go for approx. 15 - 30 minutes and in the evening we go maximum 15 minutes.

at the weekends we go, of course, much longer ...

Welcome Peggy! My aunt has a "non-dog" that doesn't play with any toys or even other dogs. He just likes to sit on the couch and he lumbers along next to you when you walk him. The only time he acts like a dog is when he sees a cat to chase!

That's cool that you can walk your dog off leash. We have been trying that with Kali, but she is so used to being able to run wild when she is off leash that it isn't working in our neighborhood. I'm working on giving her a command that means she has to walk next to me. She does...for a while. Then she's off again. But we just started this week, so I'm sure she'll get better!

We did 0.5 miles last night (part of which is off leash on a little dead end street...she took off like a rabbit :rolleyes:) and then a mile this morning.

So 1.5 miles more for a new total of 244.1 miles!

Hey, where did everybody go!??! I've been out of town for a loooong time and am just getting back into the swing of things. I walked Kali to work this morning - only a mile, but you gotta start somewhere!

Another mile for a new total of 245.1 miles!

I've been feeling SOO guilty lately for not taking Finnegan for walks.

I have been so focused on myself and my morning exercise routine, and things have just gotten really wacky with the schedule. Now that school is about to go back as well as alot of other extra activities, I hope to include a structured time to walk Finnegan a few times a week.

I did take him outside and brush him out. He has a thick undercoat and when I was done, I filled 1/2 of a plastic grocery bag full of fur!

Hi everyone!

I am fairly new to this forum and to my weight loss dedication, but I too am an animal lover. My husband and I have a wonderful jack russle mix named Ace. We also have two other fur balls, but they are pretty much useless when it comes to exercise... (two cats named Slippers & Nala.)

I have decided to run a 5K, and the date I have set is November 2nd. The race is called the Doggie Dash & Dawdle and it benefits the Animal Humane Society, so I get to take Ace running with me. I am so excited!!!

Hope you all have a great evening.

Welcome minus86! Is that Ace in your avatar? what a cutie! Looks like he can find trouble pretty easily tho , hee hee. A 5k?! Awesome! I'd love to run with my dog but he is so distracted by other dogs- I really need to train him to react better. He dosnt want to hurt them, but barks like mad till he can get up close to meet/sniff em and then wants to play & tussle.

My guilt got the best of me and I took Finnegan and both my girls for a walk after dinner. Got out regular 1.5 miles done.

SO our new total is 246.6 miles!

Welcome minus86! Is that Ace in your avatar? what a cutie! Looks like he can find trouble pretty easily tho , hee hee. A 5k?! Awesome! I'd love to run with my dog but he is so distracted by other dogs- I really need to train him to react better. He dosnt want to hurt them, but barks like mad till he can get up close to meet/sniff em and then wants to play & tussle.

My guilt got the best of me and I took Finnegan and both my girls for a walk after dinner. Got out regular 1.5 miles done.

SO our new total is 246.6 miles!

Yep, that is Ace... and trouble, well, that's his middle name! Actually he is such a good dog. He just turned 2, but let me tell you, those beginning puppy months were very trying and he almost found himself a new home on more than one occasion. Hee hee!!!

Good job on all of the miles that you have been walking. That is awesome!!! :hurray:

Ok peeps! School is now in session, and we should all have an idea of our new schedules and WHEN we can work in our walks with our dogs.

Even though I have been working out almost every morning at home, that is not an excuse not to get in additional exercise, but more importantly get get Finnegan his exercise time too. He is such a good boy and he deserves it. I WILL be walking tonight!
Challenge started 11/7/07
58 miles reaches Philadelphia,PA- MET 6/7/08
155 miles reaches NY City, NY- MET 7/3/08
219 miles reaches Hardford, CT - MET 7/24/08
381 miles reaches BOSTON, MA

That's the last totals post from August, lets get moving folks!
ONly 135 more miles to Goal in BOSTON!

:smash:

Last edited:
Finnegan is a happy boy! Last night I took him for a walk, and about a block from home there was a house in which there was a playful young dog hoping for fun. The owners were on their porch and said it was fine if Finnegan wanted to play. (Their yard had invisible fencing for the pup). Wow did he have a good time. Her name is Daphne and she is about 6 months old. The owners said the shelter thought she was part great dane and part hound. The also told us they are usually out in the yard about that time of day so if Finnegan wanted to come again, he was more than welcome. He was so tired after his play time, he barely had the energy to walk the rest of the way home.

Anyway, we got in about 1.5 miles to add to the running total, so the
new total is 246.6miles!

Back