Cate's Diary

Thanks, Em :grouphug:
I really did need a scare apparently as my brain has clicked into gear with it all. I think I’ll stay off the scales for a few days as I don’t want to see any fluctuations back up! At least I know I’m on the right path.

Thanks, Marsia, LaMa & Floater. I needed that start to help me feel firmly committed. It has just reinforced it. Even 3 kg makes you feel a bit different. I did feel like a fat wombat.
I have had a lovely day today. I didn't have a good night's sleep once again but woke feeling OK at about 6.30. I went with G to the Christmas golf day at the club where G will soon no longer be a member & it went really well. I most probably won't be back at that club again. They have treated one of our friends appallingly. He & G will be joining our local club in the new year. On the drive back from the day G got a call from the president of our local club, quite excited as he heard the news today.
When we left this morning I texted my SIL & invited her to join Arch & me for lunch, to which she replied that would be lovely. After G had teed off I invited a woman I have met a few times if she wanted to go with me for a drive as I could see she was stuck there for the day as her husband had driven there in a big bus with a trailer. She really enjoyed herself & I think she thanked me 4 times. I quite enjoyed her company. She loves totally different things to me, but that's ok. So many things she picked up & said "isn't this lovely?" I said "no" & I bought one thing that she hated & vice versa.
I chatted to the owner of the second hand/antique store & got good vibes from him about his honesty. When I mentioned that I had a lot of stuff I would be selling he was politely keen. He asked me specifics about whisky memorabilia & we have quite a few things he was very interested in. He said he would give me a good price. G & I will take him some stuff & see what happens. He knows I have a fair idea of what it's worth. I showed his card to G's sister & I think she'll get in touch with him too.
We had a delicious lunch. I had what I think was the healthiest thing on the menu- a warm prawn salad. It was brilliantly presented & had half an avocado in the middle with a soft poached egg on top. Oh, yum!
I'm struggling to see the keys in the evening light so won't type in the diaries now. I'm glad I'm booked in for an eye test next Friday ( & a haircut!!)
Calories just under 1200, steps 4,444 right now, with my Fitbit about to run out. I wore Archie out today with all the excitement, including an offlead dog park up the Tamar river. He'll be at the Vet all day tomorrow having dental work :eek:

I wore Archie out today with all the excitement, including an offlead dog park up the Tamar river. He'll be at the Vet all day tomorrow having dental work :eek:
God bless little Archie! It's rough to go under and wake up with a funny feeling mouth (and a sore butt, if the vet also drains the anal glands.) I'm glad he got a chance to run and play free today so he's all relaxed before tomorrow's big challenge!

The prawn salad sounds incredible. I also like the "fat wombat" analogy, if there's an animal that I look like, it's a wombat. Small but dense. I don't poop cubes though :biggrinjester:

I most probably won't be back at that club again. They have treated one of our friends appallingly.
Is that a common thing with golf clubs? The ones in your area sound awful!
He said he would give me a good price.
:D Don´t they all say that?
He knows I have a fair idea of what it's worth.
That helps a lot. I hope he does give you a fair price: it would be so much less of a hassle to be able so sell him a bigger batch of stuff rather than having to deal with a lot of single buyers.
I had what I think was the healthiest thing on the menu- a warm prawn salad. It was brilliantly presented & had half an avocado in the middle with a soft poached egg on top. Oh, yum!
That sounds delicious. I´d be jealous if I wouldn´t be having the most delicious chicken salad myself.

Hi Cate, it sounds like a nice day out with so much good exercise. The salad sounds divine! Is G going back to the original golf club where you both volunteered too much? I hope he doesn't get sucked into volunteering this time if he does go back!

Here antique stores are having a hard time. People don't want antiques anymore, so we gave a lot of ours away. It's great you can sell yours if you like! My eyes should be checked soon, too. When I get tired I don't see so great. Hug little Archie for me!

Wow congrats on that 3 kg lost so quickly! That must feel great and very motivating to keep at it!
That Tai Chi class sounds lovely with that teacher. I think with both yoga and Tai Chi it's very important to find the right form and teacher that fits for an individual.
Sounds like you are having some lovely days out and good times connecting with people--lovely to hear!

God bless little Archie! It's rough to go under and wake up with a funny feeling mouth (and a sore butt, if the vet also drains the anal glands.) I'm glad he got a chance to run and play free today so he's all relaxed before tomorrow's big challenge!
Thanks, Floater. Archie knew something was amiss :( He sat looking at where his bowl would be & when I drove him in he didn't lie down in his usual position.

Hi, LaMa. I have a feeling most clubs are like that. G has promised he won't take on any positions, but I did just have words with him about not volunteering to be out volunteering when there's always so much that needs doing here. We won't lose anything by letting this guy look at stuff & seeing what he offers. It's not like we need to sell it, so there's no pressure & I remember what most of it cost me & have a fair idea of what it's worth now. We eat delicious salads at home too, so usually, I will eat something different out, which may not be anywhere near as healthy. It was good to have that choice & then to make that choice. It was so pretty as well.

Hi Cate, it sounds like a nice day out with so much good exercise. The salad sounds divine! Is G going back to the original golf club where you both volunteered too much? I hope he doesn't get sucked into volunteering this time if he does go back!
It was a lovely day, but I'm a bit tired today. I sure tired out little Archie. G is going back to the original club. He had better not get suckered back into volunteering too much!
Here antique stores are having a hard time. People don't want antiques anymore, so we gave a lot of ours away. It's great you can sell yours if you like! My eyes should be checked soon, too. When I get tired I don't see so great. Hug little Archie for me!
It's more a collectables place, which he says people still buy, rather than buying antique furniture.
When I get tired my eyes really struggle. I gave Archie a few extra cuddles :beating:
Wow congrats on that 3 kg lost so quickly! That must feel great and very motivating to keep at it!
That Tai Chi class sounds lovely with that teacher. I think with both yoga and Tai Chi it's very important to find the right form and teacher that fits for an individual.
Sounds like you are having some lovely days out and good times connecting with people--lovely to hear!
Thanks, Liza. It is very motivating. It was o quick I'm too scared to get back on the scales!
I keep forgetting to do anything about Tai Chi. G & I are going back into town this afternoon so I will call in before picking Archie up. Please keep reminding me, just in case. I also must make an ap't with my cardio as we have a friend who is always asking me if I have had my aneurysm checked. It's sweet of him, so I must.
I am having some lovely days out & connecting with people. I need to balance it out with time at home & not get overwhelmed, but it has been good.

Catching up with my SIL yesterday was nice. She's struggling. Her 2 sons won't say if they're spending Christmas day with her & she feels very sad about that. I told her that we were coming to her place this year because it's her first Christmas without M & I would be very disappointed if they didn't feel the same. She said she was grateful that we are close. I think there might be a great uncle/aunt intervention soon. It will be peaceful & loving. She needs to have support & I know she finds it difficult to ask.

I haven't had or craved avocado for a while: maybe I should get some. How strange that SIL's sons won't say if they'll be there when Christmas is less than 4 weeks away.

I haven't had or craved avocado for a while: maybe I should get some.
I can’t imagine not having them really. They are so versatile & filling & I just love them. They’re only $1.30 each at the moment & are at their peak.
How strange that SIL's sons won't say if they'll be there when Christmas is less than 4 weeks away.
I agree. They don’t do well with emotion & they want to go away with their families, but this Christmas will be a biggie for L & she needs them there. It’s one day.
poor Arch was at the vets from 8.15-4.15 & was very pooey. I had to bath him the moment we got home. Then they rang to say they forgot to give us his medicine. One of us has to go in tomorrow just to get it. Very annoying!
Good news- R’s ram has been dealt with.

They don’t do well with emotion & they want to go away with their families, but this Christmas will be a biggie for L & she needs them there.
But even if they don´t want to go: they can bloody well tell her so she can find people to celebrate who WILL support her. Cowards.

That's awful about your SIL's kids. I'm so glad you can go and support her. I try to just step on the scales when I remember and I regard it as just feedback that can be a little random at times - it kinda feels likes steering a not very maneuver-able boat in generally the right direction. Glad your little dog is home and feeling safe and clean now. And glad you are loving all the fresh veggies!

Last edited:
But even if they don´t want to go: they can bloody well tell her so she can find people to celebrate who WILL support her. Cowards.
I agree, totally!
That's awful about your SIL's kids. I'm so glad you can go and support her.
I think I'll message both nephews today.
I try to just step on the scales when I remember and I regard it as just feedback that can be a little random at times - it kinda feels likes steering a not very maneuver-able boat in generally the right direction. Glad your little dog is home and feeling safe and clean now. And glad you are loving all the fresh veggies!
I'll try to not take it to heart when it fluctuates. I wanted to wait a couple of days & did. It was just up half a kilo, which was fine. Phew. I knew that the big loss the other day had to be a lot of water & this morning I hadn't had a BM. I can confidently say I have lost 2.5kg in my first week. YAY!!!

Little Arch is back to his usual self & is on my extended legs on a cushion, with my laptop on my lap on another cushion. I'll take him with me when I go to the vets & if it's a tablet I'll ask them to give it to him again & show me how & I also want a look at his teeth & ask how I can keep them clean.

I really love vegetables. We always eat a lot of veggies. It's the little extras that add up with me, like wine, ice cream, Speculaas biscuits.....I never have a lot of any of it, but they are what put me over my calories. Plus not having any bread seems to make such a difference. A whole loaf only has 1436 cals & that is what I had per week, but then I put butter on it, or peanut butter or jam. Now I'm skipping bread altogether & having Ryvitas instead with some meals I never put butter on them. It all adds up. G is being really good about it all as he prepares all of our food. He is a nurturer. He knows how I felt last week when I needed him to lift me out of bed. I was so demoralised.

Mentally I feel so much better as well as physically. I rang another of my golfing buddies yesterday & she thought I had heard about a health scare she had last week. It was lovely talking to her. She's quite a bit older than me & is the straight shooter I get on very well with. I told her about G coming back to the club & she was thrilled. She has known him since he was little & she used to play golf with his Mum. She was very sad & angry about how he was treated & very glad that the main culprit is no longer holding any positions at the club. I told her that's not the reason G is returning & that we didn't find that out until he had already applied to rejoin. My husband keeps things close but when I relayed the conversation to him he replied "Well, it wasn't the only reason". Apparently, he did know & it did influence him. Apparently, he had said to one of the committee members, who had been trying to get him to return, that he wouldn't even consider going back while DH was captain. After 50 years he still surprises me.

I had better stop as this is looking like a saga! I'm feeling very good :)

I love, love, LOVE how much more positive you sound. Yay for supportive partners and golf buddies, yay for arsepimples not holding club positions, and yay for Archie being back to his charming little self.

Big congratulations on such a wonderful first week! It's so good to hear you are feeling much better, too! My back goes out so I need to crawl out of bed sometimes and crawl around the house, and it's an awful feeling, even though I know it's temporary, so I get how alarming needing to be lifted out of bed might be. I'm so happy your knees are doing better, too!

It's funny how you can be married to someone so long and still be getting to know them in some ways. J and I are very different, so I am often surprised by how he does things in clever ways I never would have thought of.

I know what you mean about just that little extra snack each day tipping you over the edge so it's way harder to lose weight. I don't eat much junk food, but I tend eat too many little snacks that add up quickly. I think we can overcome this this time because we're putting our long-term health front and center. Each little snack does stand in the way of what we want, and it's not worth it!

I'd love to hear what the vet says about keeping Archie's teeth clean. I just noticed that my cat's teeth are very yellow and I'll probably need to take her in for a cleaning.

Happy Very Successful First Week!

I love, love, LOVE how much more positive you sound. Yay for supportive partners and golf buddies, yay for arsepimples not holding club positions, and yay for Archie being back to his charming little self.
& I really loved this post, LaMa :beating:
Arsepimples made me laugh out loud. I had never heard it before but will be using it in the future 🤣
Big congratulations on such a wonderful first week! It's so good to hear you are feeling much better, too! My back goes out so I need to crawl out of bed sometimes and crawl around the house, and it's an awful feeling, even though I know it's temporary, so I get how alarming needing to be lifted out of bed might be. I'm so happy your knees are doing better, too!
Thanks, M. It's amazing how much better I feel. Is it the 2.5 kg lost, the clean eating, no wine......? Whatever it is, I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Unfortunately, I twisted my right knee yesterday just a little while moving some furniture & it hurt like hell. G was vacuuming & he usually doesn't move anything so I try to do each room before he vacuums & then I go back & put everything back in place. I often sweep around the edges- skirting boards etc. I don't do this every time. It's such a big house.
I had already taken Arch into town with me & because I had so much energy I took him for a walk around the river (the half walk only). My legs felt really tired before we started the house cleaning.
My right knee has had a burning sensation for a while now, but doctors don't want to hear anything about that & only want to look at one leg. I'll insist next week when I see my GP. Today it feels worse than my left. My whole body is out of whack.
I'll have an easy day today.
It's funny how you can be married to someone so long and still be getting to know them in some ways. J and I are very different, so I am often surprised by how he does things in clever ways I never would have thought of.
It's good that they can still surprise us, especially if it's not in a bad way.
I know what you mean about just that little extra snack each day tipping you over the edge so it's way harder to lose weight. I don't eat much junk food, but I tend eat too many little snacks that add up quickly. I think we can overcome this this time because we're putting our long-term health front and center. Each little snack does stand in the way of what we want, and it's not worth it!
I don't like junk food luckily. Those little snacks ( & my wine) are (were) my downfall. Our long-term health is way more important than any of that.
I'd love to hear what the vet says about keeping Archie's teeth clean. I just noticed that my cat's teeth are very yellow and I'll probably need to take her in for a cleaning.
I'm so glad I took Arch in. The vet I saw last week came up to reception while I was there & I asked her if she could do me a small favour & show me again how she gives small animals their pills. She was really sweet about it.
I had already talked about the best diet for him with the vets assistant who said kibble is best & to avoid soft pet food as it builds up a film on their teeth. I said he loves some cooked chicken & that I just put a little of it on top of his kibble to make it more appealing. A little cooked meat is good. I asked about raw chicken wings, which I don't give him (K9 said not to) & she said she is in two minds about them as, while they are good for cleaning their teeth, there are the dangers of choking, so she doesn't recommend them.
I came away from the vets with firm ideas about what he will have from now on. I have some expensive canned food, which I may give to someone as I feel I'm starting over. No more bits of Speculaas biscuits, no dog loaf or canned stuff. He can have a little boiled egg on top of his kibble sometimes & we make his dog biscuits, which he loves. He has 2 small ones while we eat our fruit platter after dinner. They only have coconut oil, coconut flour, brown rice flour, 1 egg & some water. At bedtime, while I'm cleaning my teeth he has a Greenie (doggie dental chew).
Happy Very Successful First Week!
Thank, you xoxo

Back