Cate's Diary

@toodamtall - I don't even have to cook, so I don't know why I get anxious about these lunches. Crazy really. My husband, G is an excellent cook & he loves it.
@Skurgeon - what a lovely treat that would have been for them!
@Marsia - not many people in here would know. M is G's sister's husband. He has had so many cancers over the last 5 years & had so many things removed. He has probably spent more time in hospital than out in the last couple of years. He decided against any further treatment. His poor body has had enough. He's quite philosophical about it & we all cracked some sick jokes yesterday about it. I think you have to try to laugh at adversity if you can. My sister taught me that.
@LaMaria -it is sad, but once accepted as inevitable he may as well make the most of it & he is. As he was leaving yesterday we had a big hug (we always do) & I told him that I love him & he said that he really loves me too. That was nice. I tell G's sisters that I love them too occasionally these days. I never tire of hearing it from the ones I love & I never say it when I don't mean it. I never have.

Aw, that's lovely, Cate. I understand his decision to just make the most of the time he has left. Still, it's very brave of him to accept his fate. I guess it's something we will all have to deal with, but hopefully not for a long time yet!

Thanks, Em. I hope I can cope as well when that day comes & as you say, hopefully not for a long time!

So wonderful that you all are able to spend really good quality time together and to be able to connect with loving hugs and loving words. We are all so fragile and vulnerable in this world--wonderful to have a community of support and love around us.
(i can relate to the anxious side of hosting...but I also get anxious going to other people's places too, so for me it's all just anxiety all round! haha)

LaMa- I don't think I could ever have too much love. So many words get wasted & are meaningless, but I try to express my feelings more these days.
You're right, Liza. We are all so fragile & vulnerable in this world & it is wonderful to have a community of support and love around us. This includes our community here.
Our family lunches are good in lots of ways. We get to talk about our adult children & any concerns we might have & sometimes it helps to share those worries. Mostly we have a lot of laughs. They all live close to one another, while we live 60 km away so it helps us to stay in touch.
Our older son, D just called in to wish his Dad a Happy Fathers Day & have a coffee with us. That was nice.
We're having another stay at home day today. The sun is shining but it's only about 7oC at the moment. I'll walk Arch a couple of times, do some housework, read a book & not have any wine this afternoon.
I feel quite content this morning.

Thanks, Liza. It was a lovely day. It started with a visit from D, our older son as well so that was also nice.
I also asked R to call in at his local market as the Tassie Nannas were going to be there & I wanted him to spend some of my money to support their efforts to relocate refugees in offshore detention to Canada. They have raised $40,000 so far & have supported 2 refugees. They suggested a few beanies, but he said "No, Mum likes the same things I do, so I'll choose one that I would wear." Sweet. I love what they do! https://www.facebook.com/TassieNannas/

They suggested a few beanies, but he said "No, Mum likes the same things I do, so I'll choose one that I would wear."
:beating: Also: I love the Tassie Nanna initiative! My gran would knit for her local knitwear sale as well but they just used the money keep their club afloat.

Yay to the tassie nannas :) We have a couple of similar groups here. So much knitting and baking fundraisers for really great causes. Wonderful these people put their skills to such generous and worthy causes!

Hi Cate! Glad the family lunch went well and that everyone is so supportive and loving!! Sounds like a wonderful family. Sad your brother in law is facing death, but it sounds like he is doing so in such a healthy way. I hope I am brave like that when the time comes. Glad the AF days are going so well!! I love the idea of doing crafts for helping refugees relocate. I wish we could do more for the people coming from Afghanistan here. Hopefully we'll find a good charity to donate to once our house sells and we have money for things like that again. Sounds like things are going really well for you!!

Hi, Liza & Marsia. Tassie Nannas rock!
I hope I am as brave as my BIL too when my time comes. I have a feeling, mainly from my sister's experience, that losing G would be way worse than facing my own death. You don't know really do you?
I would like to do more for refugees. We do donate each month to MSF & have done since my sister & BIL died as it was their preferred charity. I like how they go anywhere to treat people, irrespective of politics.

I had a lovely day yesterday. We dropped Arch off for a Spring haircut & while he was there we went to the golf course & I hit about 40 balls on the practice fairway. I hit them really well! It felt so good. I'm going to go out tomorrow (unless it's raining) & play just a few holes & then have a drink with the women. I'll build it up very slowly & have decided I am going to play differently. I know that I try too hard & try to hit the ball a long way. From now on I'm going to just try to hit the ball down the centre, without trying for distance. It will be easier on my body. I wore my knee brace & will do that whenever I have a swing.
For the last week or so my left knee has been much worse & I have had lots of inflammation. Last night & this morning it's back to normal. Normal is still arthritic, but at least I can walk without much pain & am more flexible. Inflammation is always weird. You just don't know what caused it.
I might have a 3rd AF day today. G & I shared an AF sparkling rose the other day & it was actually really nice. I'll keep buying AF wine, especially for Summer.

Hi Cate, so nice about hitting so well and great you have a strategy for protecting your knees. Having helped my mom through a knee replacement surgery, I am really cognizant of knees now and keeping them happy and healthy! Have you tried eating extra of any the foods that are supposed to be anti-inflammatory? I tried that with my mom, but it turned out she was also eating many things that are supposed to cause inflammation - she could not remember not to eat simple carbs. So my experiment to see if the foods helped didn't work. That's also such good news you like the AF wine! Is it a lot less fattening?

Hi, Marsia. The AF wine is a lot less fattening. I must look into which foods are anti-inflammatory. I might ask for a referral to a Rheumatologist. I take fish oil & Rose Hip capsules & tea. I just signed up for Arthritis info from the organisation. I must start eating more berries!

I'll build it up very slowly & have decided I am going to play differently. I know that I try too hard & try to hit the ball a long way. From now on I'm going to just try to hit the ball down the centre, without trying for distance. It will be easier on my body. I wore my knee brace & will do that whenever I have a swing.
Haha, Cate - this is so weird. I am the exact same in tennis. I want to lash the ball at every shot, which inevitably means I'm blasting it out of the court. I have to try to rein it in too. (I know it's a different sport, but I feel the mentality is similar. ;))

Hope your drink with the ladies is fun.

Oh, Em 🤭The mentality is the same. I have always been like that with sport! I’m really going to try to play more like the older women. They are so much more accurate! I have a strong feeling that I will end up a better player. I’m quite excited about working towards playing again, but am being sensible about it.

Working toward it slowly would be great! And stealing tricks from older women is rarely a good idea :D

Back