Cate's Diary

Thanks, Tru, Llama, Marsia & Liza. I think different weekly challenges will be interesting & hopefully fun. It would be better than trying the same old thing over & over.
doing healthy things that I actually enjoy more and more and replacing things like being self critical with more supportive ways of motivating myself
I like this idea.
it actually is motivating becoming even better at what we are already naturally good at.
This is something I can work on too & it makes sense.
I decided last night to play golf with the women next week to see how I feel. They are playing a Stableford, which I prefer to play. It will give me a day at home after being away for the weekend as we won't get home until after lunch Monday.
G & I are off to town today. Our list is growing....
Edited at 9.05: I just said in a PM that I am ready for change & I am. I'm going to try to shift my focus on building on my strengths & not dwell on my weaknesses.

Last edited:
I really hope you find fun challenges! I feel like I need to change and experiment with what is healthy for me in a fun way. I don't change when I view changing as a chore - I just don't have that kind of discipline. It really sounds like you are getting in good shape with how much golf you are doing and then a lot of socializing in between. I just read another chapter to K on building strengths. When I get more time, I'll post about it in my diary!

I really hope you find fun challenges! I feel like I need to change and experiment with what is healthy for me in a fun way. I don't change when I view changing as a chore - I just don't have that kind of discipline. It really sounds like you are getting in good shape with how much golf you are doing and then a lot of socializing in between.
I hope they are fun too. I'm certainly going to try to find new ways of making weight-loss a fun, rather than a depressing, negative thing. I do feel quite strong & love the way I can hit a golf ball a very long way. It feels so good!
I just read another chapter to K on building strengths. When I get more time, I'll post about it in my diary!
Yes, please :)
I just went & logged my food & drink for today. I walked quite a bit & think I'll have a deficit of about 200, even with my glass of red wine. I picked up some AF wine & cider. I feel ready for AF April :)

I think that focusing on strengths and what brings joy made the biggest difference for me too--both physically and mentally.
I do feel quite strong & love the way I can hit a golf ball a very long way. It feels so good!
This is so great--yes I really think your love of golfing is the big way in for you. I really think remembering that health goals are more than just a number on a scale is so important too. One can be really thin but really unfit. So your strength and abilities are huge and it's a really important thing to give yourself A LOT of credit for that.

Feeling strong and focusing on those positive feelings sounds like a great start to me. Enjoy your day in town!
I think that focusing on strengths and what brings joy made the biggest difference for me too--both physically and mentally.
Thanks, Llama & Liza. Anything is easier if you feel positive about it & I do love being strong. We had a good day in town. We took Archie too & he had a great day with lots of walks & social encounters.
This is so great--yes I really think your love of golfing is the big way in for you. I really think remembering that health goals are more than just a number on a scale is so important too. One can be really thin but really unfit. So your strength and abilities are huge and it's a really important thing to give yourself A LOT of credit for that.
Thank you, Liza :grouphug:

On our way home from town yesterday I got a call from a friend to tell us that her husband had a heart attack the day before. I was driving, so rang her when I got home. He had been doing a little gardening & came inside feeling & looking ill. He lay down & couldn't move. S checked his heart rate on his FB & it was 140. She rang an ambulance & someone came on their own but quickly called for help. They rushed him to the hospital & before S had time to get there with her son they had already operated on him & put a stent in. The main artery to his heart was almost totally blocked. At 1.30 in the morning, they let her know that his heart had stopped but they got it going again. Poor S. She came so close to losing him! She let me know so that I didn't hear about it from someone else. They are both such good friends & lovely people, both are my age. He built our house.
This is another reminder to look after ourselves well.

Oh God, sorry to hear about your friend S and her husband going through all that! I hope he makes a swift recovery.

Yes, we must all mind ourselves as much as we can. I'm glad you're playing golf with the ladies again.

Thanks, Em. It was a hell of a shock! I just rang a mutual friend to let her know.
I’m going to play with the women when it suits me but will also play with the vets & as many Saturdays as I feel like. Golf is so good for me 😊

I really agree with everyone about how wonderful it is to acknowledge your strength and skills, and it's really inspiring and uplifting hearing all about your golfing when I read your diary. Really sorry to hear about your friend, but that's so great that he pulled through. :grouphug: It's so good how you make regular doctor's appointments and really keep up with your health. I have trouble doing that, but will take a cue from you!

That's terrible about your friend's heart attack. Really glad they could save him. So good S was there when it happened so she could get help so fast.

One more reason why married men tend to live longer. That would've been such a scare! Glad it turned out ok and glad you're feeling free to play golf when and with whom you want.

Glad you had a nice time Cate--hope you got some good rest in and wake feeling energized again.

Back