Cate's Diary

I feel it's time to start a new plan when we get back from our trip. I have been looking into 5:2 again as it worked for me before, but I had better check with a doctor beforehand. I need to find myself a new doctor.
I just made an ap't to see a doctor that one of the golfing women goes to & likes. She says he's very thorough & actually communicates clearly with you, rather than staring at the screen. Ap't 3rd April ✔️
I need to change the physio ap't that I have for this Wednesday at 3 pm. I really dislike afternoon appointments. I'll ring them tomorrow morning.
I am hoping that all of the extra golf will be increasing my metabolism. I feel I have been on hold for ages now & I need to get those scales moving downwards again.

Iirc your main problem with fasting was not having anything to eat with your morning meds, right? With 5/2 you could maybe have a normal breakfast and skip lunch and dinner instead. I hope the new doctor is a good one and has helpful insights and suggestions!

My main problem with doing IF, i.e. 16:8 was the long stretches without eating anything, but 5:2 is 5 days of "normal" eating & 2 days of only 800 cals, which can be spread out over the day. It used to be only 500 cals. I managed quite well on that. I'm just thinking about it at this stage. The willpower gets lesser & lesser as I get older. I haven't given up on losing weight though.

I had an anxious morning this morning & I think I need to get organised for our trip away. I know it's only to the mainland & not an overseas trip, but it's still a trip away. I got a lot done today & feel a bit better about it.

Since you live on an island even national travel is overseas 🤷‍♀️ Travel always makes me anxious and prepping well helps a bit.

I remember now: I think I myself was the person who decided 5/2 was easiest if the 500 calories were one meal with full fasting for the others I just can't deal with only eating a little bit when I'm genuinely hungry. To each their own though!
I do agree that doing these things gets harder over time but I think it's less about age and more about the accumulated baggage. The memories of hard work and the perception of repeated failure. (It's not failure if we would have been a heavier now without have done it, even if our current weight isn't what we want it to be. But it feels like it anyway.) Change is hard and scary and changing something so integral to our biology AND psychology is super hard. But we can do it.

I am hoping that all of the extra golf will be increasing my metabolism. I feel I have been on hold for ages now & I need to get those scales moving downwards again.
i know that feeling of being on hold...
i do think that whatever happens with the scales it sounds like you've done your health--body and mind--a world of good lately with the golfing...we can get a bit stuck on scale numbers, but really it's only one marker of how we are doing (and often not the best marker at all!)
I had an anxious morning this morning & I think I need to get organised for our trip away. I know it's only to the mainland & not an overseas trip, but it's still a trip away. I got a lot done today & feel a bit better about it.
i haven't been on a trip in ages but yes, can relate to that anxiety of the preparation and anticipation!

Thanks, Llama & Liza. I couldn't/shouldn't do 5:2 having only one meal & then fasting for the rest of the day. I think I did it when G was still working & it was easier when he wasn't at home. I made my own vegetable soups mostly. I'm only thinking about it at this stage.
Golf is doing my mental health a lot of good & most probably my physical health too.
I felt a lot better, Liza after doing all of the ironing & packing lots of stuff. I'm going to try things on today to work out what I'm taking. I haven't got that all worked out yet.

I’m so glad the golf is doing you so much good Cate. I hope you work out a good eating plan to help get back to a weight you’re happier with.

I felt a lot better, Liza after doing all of the ironing & packing lots of stuff. I'm going to try things on today to work out what I'm taking. I haven't got that all worked out yet.
i'm glad you're feeling better having started the prep for the trip. Always feels good to get things organized.
I can't remember--how long do you go for?

Such a moreish source of empty calories, especially when a bit of salt and fat are involved...
I struggle to come up with breakfast choices that don't involve toast. G loves potatoes & rice as well. We eat so well with lots of veggies & lean meat & fish, but it's breakfast that I find the hardest.
At least you will be doing lots of exercise on your trip.
I certainly will, Em. 4 full games of golf! I usually walk a lot when we're away too.

I had another awful night's sleep last night. I kept falling asleep, briefly, yesterday & then was wide awake last night. I am going to make myself stay awake today & this evening. I have shocking hayfever.

I feel pretty good considering how little sleep I had. I have watered most of the plants, except for the indoor ones which I'll do tomorrow. I took Arch for a long walk & have since bathed him & given him a bit of a clip. It's 3 pm on Wed here & we only have tomorrow, with nothing planned (maybe the final pack). We have both scrubbed our golf clubs & repacked our golf bags. I have all the clothes washed & ironed that we're taking. Friday lunchtime we are taking our rubbish to the tip & taking Arch to the kennels (120 km return trip), returning home again, having a relax, having dinner at home & going down to catch the ship at about 7 pm. It's really good to be taking our car.
I must, must must stay awake until bedtime, which is why I'm on here for a while.

You sound nice and prepared for your time away. I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight. I hate sleepless nights...

Sounds like excitement about the trip may be starting to overtake the anxiety - or maybe that's just my wishful thinking. What's currently in bloom to cause your hayfever? Here the season started with a bang some weeks ago but it's been cold the past couple of days so things have improved.

You sound nice and prepared for your time away. I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight. I hate sleepless nights...
I think we are, Liza. It's much more reassuring when you're not flying anywhere. It doesn't hurt to take extra. I'm even taking some food, especially breakfast things. There is a supermarket close to where we're staying, but I don't want to buy a heap of stuff & then cart it home, so am taking small containers of garlic, sambal oelek, olive oil, PB, Vegemite, honey, herbal tea etc. Then we can just buy the fresh stuff when we get there.
Sounds like excitement about the trip may be starting to overtake the anxiety - or maybe that's just my wishful thinking.
I think so, Llama :)
What's currently in bloom to cause your hayfever? Here the season started with a bang some weeks ago but it's been cold the past couple of days so things have improved.
There's lots of long, dry grass everywhere. I almost always have bad hayfever in Autumn as well as Spring. Oh, well!

I think we only get ragweed in late summer, well for bad allergies anyway.
Could you get used to having a veggie omelet for breakfast without toast? Or some soup?

There are so many weeds everywhere here, not just on our block, but everywhere you go. It is a very good season for them :D
I love omelettes, Llama & could eat one every day if I could. I'm going to have oats more often for breakfast when I get home, with berries & a dollop of kefir. I'll also have hard-boiled eggs handy at all times. I won't eat unhealthily while I'm away but I'll be ready for fewer carbs I know.

Back