Big T & MMW: To Keep Lean & Stay Mean ;)

Was f**ked yesterday, forearms were still sore from the MMA.

Upper

Flat BB Bench
3x5 (231lbs)
1x3 (231lbs)
1x3 (220lbs)

My upper arms were hurting from benching for some reason, i mean really f**king hurting. They've done it before, so that's why i dropped off so rapidly after the 3rd set.

Pullups
3x8 (4,3,3)

Seated DB OH Press
1x12 (110lbs)
1x10, 1x8, 1x6 (121lbs)

DB BOR's
1x12 (71.5lbs)
1x10 (77lbs)
1x8 (82.5lbs)
1x6 (88lbs)

Tomorrow isn't actually a boxing class for me, it's called 'dad & lads' which is father and their kid(s) Lol. So will probably lift and do some work on the bags when that class finishes.

the f word - LOL

Only if work let me watch youtube!

Todays session was just a random sesh. Decided to go for a few maxes! Very happy :)

Deadlifts
1x12 (132lbs)
2x6 (220lbs)
1x5 (308lbs)
1x3 (352lbs)
1x0 (396lbs)
1x1 (396lbs)

The only problem was grip! First attempt on the 180kg i got half a rep then had to quickely lower because my right hand was giving way. I then got some sponges off my mate and tried again and managed it :D Need to work on grip strength if i'm going to go any heavier though.

Flat Bench
1x6 (132lbs)
1x5 (176lbs)
1x3 (220lbs)
1x1 (242lbs)
2x1 (264lbs) PR

Finally maxed at 120kg, very happy with this :D Did it twice ;)

Finished off with some curling and ab work.

Weighed in at 225lbs.

The only problem was grip! First attempt on the 180kg i got half a rep then had to quickely lower because my right hand was giving way. I then got some sponges off my mate and tried again and managed it :D Need to work on grip strength if i'm going to go any heavier though.

Wow, we did a similar thing on the same weight, have you read the advice Karky and FF gave me in my journal

Great work with the lifts though, still progressing then, that'll set you up nicely for the future ;)

Cheers BigJ! Appreciate it!

Yea Rich i thought about that, did a similar thing! I've had a quick look yea i will have a proper look when have more time and will work on grip strength! I wanna be pulling 500lbs+ :D

And yea, progression is still coming, i actually thought i hit a plateau ;)

Got an injury last night, got it from the last set of OH Pressing. F**king right shoulder blade area, and all around my neck, hurts when i move in certain ways!

BB OH Press
1x8 (88lbs)
1x5 (132lbs)
5x5 (176lbs)

Happy i got 5x5 with 80kg, but i think form went out of the window on the last set which is probably why i've f**ked myself up.

Chinups
3x8 (5,3,3)

Incline DB Press
1x12 (143lbs)
Tried for second set and was in too much pain, did a couple of really light, controlled sets.

Machine Rows
Did 3 sets.

Gonna attempt lower tonight, see how my shoulder/back/neck plays up lol. It's time for a routine change as well, hopefully get it done tonight.

Congratulations on the 5x5, that weight has me all wrapped up, I have yet to get it done. Sorry to hear about the injury.

Like you, I need a revamp a few things in my workout.

that's sound like a strained upper CENTRAL trap. When you are doing overheads it's ok to let your wrists go, but you need to maintain your shoulder stabilility. If those two should blades get too close together, thus squishing that trap upon itself, AND- then then you bounce a lil to get that last few reps- you damage the connecting tissue.

sorry fo the lack of tech terms, but those are for the brain people.

If what I have said "rings" in your head, then leave that trap alone for awhile. It is alot like a rotator cuff, makes you want to stretch and stretch and work thru it, when ONLY just keep aggrivating it.

that's sucks!

BUT-- that muscle is critical dude. your posture and everything depend on the multiple traps.

Stretch your lats and it will relive some of the pressure. You lats actually pull your shoulders forward, thus keeping tension on your upper trap.

FF

that's sound like a strained upper CENTRAL trap. When you are doing overheads it's ok to let your wrists go, but you need to maintain your shoulder stabilility. If those two should blades get too close together, thus squishing that trap upon itself, AND- then then you bounce a lil to get that last few reps- you damage the connecting tissue.

sorry fo the lack of tech terms, but those are for the brain people.

If what I have said "rings" in your head, then leave that trap alone for awhile. It is alot like a rotator cuff, makes you want to stretch and stretch and work thru it, when ONLY just keep aggrivating it.

that's sucks!

BUT-- that muscle is critical dude. your posture and everything depend on the multiple traps.

Stretch your lats and it will relive some of the pressure. You lats actually pull your shoulders forward, thus keeping tension on your upper trap.

FF

Thanks a lot for that FF, i think it's exactly what you've just explained. I did bounce and let the weight come down too fast on my shoulders. And yea it does make me want to stretch it often, i'll keep the lat stretches going then.

:D

Cheers J, you still keeping the 5x5 style?

Yeah, on the compounds I think. But I'll work light on form with squats and deads (3x10s). Also iso moves for legs just to see where they are at. I think I'm overcompensating for a bad knee on the compounds and going to F-up my good knee or lower back at this rate.

Tuesday's Session ****ed me!

Lower

Squats
5x5 (253lbs)

Most of the squats were atg, it's so rare you see people in my gym squat to even paralell since they still have the old myth that 'squatting too deep is bad for your knees' idea. There are a few, such as the MMA trainers who know how to lift properly, but the BB's have no idea sometimes.

BB Static Lunges
1x30 (88lbs)
1x20 (99lbs)
1x16 (110lbs)

I was ****ed after this!

Finished off with some Seated Calf Raises & Ab Machine work.

-Missed MMA yesterday, hopefully going to do it Friday (tomorrow) instead!

Upper tonight :D

Upper

Flat DB Press
1x3 (193.6lbs)
4x5 (176lbs)

I haven't done flat db's for a good while. I so underestimated them! It was a push to do 4x5 with the 88lbs DB's! I couldn't even do a full set with the 96.8lb DB's! They are so much harder than the BB and i can lift a lot less weight. Going to work on these.

Pullups
3x8 (4,3,2)

Felt so weak.

Seated DB OH Press
1x12 (110lbs)
1x10 (110lbs)
1x8 (121lbs)
1x6 (121lbs)

BB BOR's
1x15 (110lbs)
1x10 (154lbs)
1x8 (176lbs)
1x6 (187lbs)

First time of doing these in ages, so just went steady.

Yesterday i was fairly weak, it was due to such low calories throughout the day. I reckon every meal i had, had no more than 400 cals in it.

My weights are all way down, Big T. I have been in triathlon-prep mode and it is hard for me to have it all - triathlon skills and lifting heavy weights.

Back