BA ...Bingers Anonymous

Welcome, Summergurl.

AussieGirl. Congrats on being sober for so long! If you can do that, you can do anything. It's all about addiction. Food is hard because you have to eat. I don't really see what purging is doing for you except punishing yourself. Why don't you go see a therapist who specializes in the disorder? You need to be all about healing yourself, not punishing yourself. Try to figure out why you don't like yourself. You can lose all the weight you want, but you won't feel good about yourself until your head is fixed. You can do it. Take charge of your life. Do it now!

I'M BACK (but only for a minute)

Hi, guys. it has been a really long time since i have posted anything on this thread, but i figured that sometime is better than no time...anyway...i have come to the realization that one of the major components in losing weight is to have someone, or people, around you that subscribe to the same eating habits that you do...

here is my reason for coming to this conclusion: since the last time that i have posted (which was june 23) i had gained about five-seven pounds living in virginia and trying to implement a healthy eating style by myself, while living with a roommate that didnt need to partake in any form of a diet. Needless to say, my attempts to get healthy and lose weight were fruitless, actually my weight got worse and i thought that i was just going to have get used to being fat (although i know that i could and used to be smaller).

however, at the beginning of july i moved from va to new jersey for a career change, which ultimately became a lifestyle change as well. when i moved to jersey i moved in with my brother and his roommate who only eat healthy food (now dont get me wrong, they are not health nuts, its just that they really pay attention to the things they put into their mouth and how their meals are prepared). since i have been here, today is the beginning of my fourth week, i have lost about 10-15 pounds. now, there were some other factors that played into my losing weight, like not wanting to seem like pig and wanting to fit in and be able to do the physically demanding things that they do, but however you slice it, it works. i cannot tell you guys when the last time was that i binge ate, truthfully, i dont think that i can at this point and time. i have found it hard to even eat a normal sized bowl of cereal (when in va i could eat two really big bowls in the morning and be looking for something else to eat about 3 hours later).

i guess what i am trying to say is that the key to combat negative eating habits and the temptations of enjoying food that is hurtful is to have a wonderful support group or people who are dedicated to the same goals that you are. Also, for those of you that have kids, i find that they actually, although unconsciously, act as a precipitator in weight loss. my brother's kids, 1 neice and two nephews, have kept me pretty active with swimming, basketball, tennis, and walking.

p.s. i took a trip to nyc yesterday and oh my gosh was it hot. i sweated more yesterday than i have in a really long time, but my thoughts as i was shopping, sweating, and walking was..."oh, man, i am losing some good weight today."

p.s.s my new favorite motto is one that i saw posted on this forum, but from Oprah Winfrey "nothing taste as good as skinny feels" and since i know what it is like to be small (relatively, not thin, but at MY ideal weight of 150-165, i definitely think of that when i eat.

later, buddies

I litterally ate myself sick.

I only wish i could throw up to get rid of this stomach ache.

:(

Hey Famouschic. You are so right. I wish that my husband felt the need to be healthy, I think I would find it so much easier if we were in it together. But he doesn't put weight on so he has no physical signs to prompt him to make the changes :rolleyes:

Hey Avi, ditto. Often, because of my IBS, that is my first thought after binging .... what is my tummy gonna be like tomorrow. I wish I could get rid of the food so that it wouldn't have to go through my digestive system. But my body HATES throwing up and (luckily to be honest) I cannot persuade it to get rid of unwanted food that way. Even when I had a terrible hangover a few months back and felt really sick, I couldn't.

Tomorrow is another day, and if we remember the tummy ache, maybe we will not make the same mistake again (or not for a while anyway :rolleyes: )

Ok, so I have to say that I'm feeling REAL good right now!! Last night I wanted another bag of cookies, and as I was driving home could have stopped in at Safeway, but I drove the other way, so that I wouldn't even drive by the store!! Also, all week I've been eating all this crap right, and then wondering why I felt so crappy. Well I got my ass to the gym Friday, and boy what I difference in my feelings!! If I eat crap, I feel like crap. If I eat well I feel well. What a concept!!;) Pineola I wanted to thank you for what you wrote, I guess you're right, I've never REALLY admitted that I don't like myself but the way I treat myself, and what I say about me does prove that. I guess though, I'm not one of those people that would go for councilling because I like to be the one that helps others, not the other way around. Kinda weird I guess. But it does make me more aware of what I need to do, so thanks so much.:)

Way to go Aussiegirl!!! They say that you don't give up a habit, you just introduce a new one, and a major part of that is introducing conflicting behaviour. Like you said, if you don't drive past Safeway, you can't go in ;) Keep up the fab work :)

Hey Mrs B!
Thanks for that! I've decided, and set my alarm for 5:30 tomorrow morning. I'm going to the gym first thing, so that I don't have to worry about it after work. Plus I'll be going out for dinner with my Dad after work, so I guess I'd actually have to go after that...let's be honest it's either 5:30 or never tomorrow...there's no choice!! I'm doing it. I use to go twice a day, but that was MANY years ago. I'd LOVE to be back into that routine and have that DESIRE!!!! Have a good tomorrow everyone!!!

Hey everyone, I'm BAAAAA-AAAAAAAACK!!

Holiday went well; because of the Cypriat heat, there wasn't much need to feed. However, there was always and I mean *always* a bag of open crisps on the table. Normally, I'd be chugging away all day, and probably end up eating the equivilent of a whole bag to myself a day. Although I had a couple of handfuls, that was it. All but two days I didn't touch them. Eating out, I didn't have chips (except for that terrible night at Burger King after going round Ayia Napa... Burger King at 3 AM... Not cool...) and generally, did really well. The next test is whether I can combat eating whilst in Belgium. Every time we go there, any plans of healthy eating and diets fizzle the moment we get on the ferry.

Aussie Girl, well done for getting past Safeways! Go you, that's a big step in the right direction.

Avi, like Mrs B said, the tummy ache will be a reminder. Like in the Rescuers, tomorrow is another day. It needn't be plagued with what went wrong the day before, but with a new energy and force.

Mrs B... *waves*

OK, now I'm off again. Have a great week, everyone! Sees you when I return.

Bronsk

Hey everyone!!
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!!!! I REALLY appreciate it!!! I think I've come to a conclussion about my most recent binge...I'm not sure if it's because I've just gone with it, and let myself go, or what but here it is. I've bought a cake, brownies, and a giant danish all this in the past 2 or 3 days. Well after eating a couple bites I've ended up throwing it all in the rubbish, not feeling good about any of it. I now feel like eating a nice salad, and soup. Anyway, I'm very happy about this "progress" even though it cost me 3 lbs!!! I'm also feeling a lot more active...I'm excited to go to the gym during the day tomorrow, and I took the dog for a jog in a big beautiful park today. It was fun!! Hopeing everyone is doing well right now...it's tough but we can do it!!!:D

That is great Aussiegirl. The more we eat healthy foods, the more our bodies and minds want them. You are definitely on the road to success ;)

Thanks so much for the encouragement Mrs B!!! You know I felt like I was doing ok for a while, but would you believe I ended up going to the gym on Friday, then taking the dog for a walk (actually she took me) it was out to the provincial park...lots of fun. But then on Saturday I did something...not really sure what...to my back. All I could do is lay and sit ALL weekend. It was very disappointing. I had these big awsome plans of going out with the dog to the park all weekend cause I was staying 5 minutes from it. Anyway, so that's my final situation...my back is starting to get back, but it's still really sore after only a few minutes of standing. I REALLY don't see how I could go to the gym like this. Oh, but I should share something great... I've NEVER liked or really used the treadmill very much/well. And on Friday I went 20 minutes running almost all the way...it was great!!! Even if I'm not lossing weight right now, I know I'm improving my fitness level.:D As far as binging goes, I haven't really done too much damage lately. I still feel less interested in my normal craving foods than I have been, so that's good. However I should admit to eating 2 chocolate bars the other day, but here's the excuse. When I was living in Australia my favorite candy bar was "Midnight Mars", which is DARK chocolate, then I saw them at a shop and bought 2 of them!!! But man where they yummy!!! Well good luck everyone, I hope you're all doing well, staying away from your trigger foods!!!

Last edited:
Wow, it's been so busy here ;)

Well, I'm afraid that this holiday has been a total binge-fest. I've had (as stated in diary) chips and crisps and (what I forgot to mention) all-you-can-eat meals (3 of them.) Like I said, I put it down to fainting on the first day (diary for details) and the stress of my TOM being 4/5 days late. Not cool...

But I'm home now, I'm staying home, I'm going to go shopping in a bit and get some grub in. I've got myself into a fairly bad frame of mind; I'm frightened there's something wrong with me, I'm frightened that going to... *expire*... and that's led me to feel generally quite crappy. I don't feel right, I'm a bit tummy achy, a bit light headed and a tad wuzzy, but I'm sure that if I actually get up and *do* something, I'll feel OK. I'm just very frightened that I'm not going to see Top Cat again, or even see my best friend again, and she's coming over tomorrow, for pity's sake!

*sigh* Time to move!

Sees everyone around later!

Bronsk

Hey, I'm new. Hope I'm in the right place!

Right, heya all. I've been reading some of your entries and it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only binger in the world. Haha, that sounds weird but whatever.

I'm 15 and i've been struggling with my weight since about the age of twelve. The stupidest thing is that I've never been fat or overweight, and if I had never thought I had, I wouldn't be here now. I wouldn't be a binger.
But it happened, so here I am.
So yeah... I've always had this thing of being on a "diet" or trying to eat healthier. About a year ago I started not eating anything at all or just one meal a day [about 4pm]. that made me feel good because my stomach was flat [and empty of course] and I lost half a stone in the space of two weeks. But somehow I started eating more and more at that one meal because I was getting so hungry. The start of my binge eating...

I realised how stupid my eating habits were and decided to eat three meals a day again. But I was still overeating and becoming bloated out, making me look fatter than I really do. I am stuck eating far too much and i’ve put on weight over the past year. i’m 5ft5 and weighed 8 1/2 stone this time last year, but i’ve put on alot of weight/fat around my waist due to my poor diet/eating habits. It's depressing.

It makes me feel really miserable that i can’t eat normally. i feel if i even eat one slice of toast my stomach bloats out, and if that happens i either say “what the hell, i’ve done it now, might aswell carry on eating all day…” or starve myself till the next day, when my stomach becomes “normal” size.
The other problem i have with eating is dinner. i go to eat alot for my last meal, and now i eat my dinner about 4pm hoping that by morning my stomach is flat again [doesn’t always work but is deff smaller than the day before… if that makes sense].

I don’t know if anything i just wrote makes sense to anyone else, but i really need to talk about it with someone. My friends won’t listen—they just think i’m complaining about being fat and don’t understand my problem and say “You hardly eat anything, you’re thin, stop complaining!” but the problem isn’t that i’m fat, it’s my eating habits, which they don’t know about… I need help and I don't know what to do =[

^Ohhh im so glad im not the only young person here w/binging problems! ...I feel somewhat in the same situation as u right now, i'm not fat but my eating habits have become horrible >__<...my friends don't help at all either =__=..they ask me "why are you so depressed lately?!" n I'd say "...omg...I ate so much this past week...I feel so bad..." n then they're like "What? your hella skinny! You should be eating more!" -____-...same with my parents ...each time after i binge i try to "restart" to make up for it n when I binge after restarting again i'll be like "...ooo i gained weight.." n my mom will be like "Why are you on a diet?! your not the least bit fat!".... ( =__=)....i really hate it ... I may look healthy on the outside but on the inside there's so much damage being done im sure...well my story is that last summer before my junior year (im 16) I really wanted to get back in shape and lose 10 lbs, so over those two months I ate really good n worked out everyday n managed to get to my goal!

(my original stats before losing weight in the summer n everything was 5'2" at 100 lbs..<--i kno it seems kind of low but I always had a small frame ever since i was little n im pretty sure i had more fat lbs than muscle lbs since i had a pretty obvious muffin top =X...so after the 2 months i was 90lbs n I looked healthier n fitter than ever! my jean size dropped from a size 4/5 to size 0/1)

..I wus so happy n I felt confident n good about myself but I still couldn't see my abs so i thought ok i'm going to lose another 5 lbs n tone up a little more! N my goal was to lose those extra 5 lbs by october...

but then when skool started it kind of all went downhill...in september I had my first binge ever i think while studying for a test...I didn't even know what a binge was...but it was ok because the next day I had the right mindset n I worked out hard for the rest of the month to maintain my weight n didn't binge again...but then...october came around...I binged a couple times at the beginning of the month and then after halloween I had a major binge on candy....T___T the next morning i felt so sick!...I stepped on the scale a couple days later n I was at 93 lbs ..So then I was like ok "time to start over again..." ..n the next week I went on a super strict diet plan...i wus eating only 1000-1200 calories a day n exercising like mad n on top of that I wus super tired bcuz of all the stress from skool n hw (i'm taking 3 ap classes)...by the end of the week I dropped to 87 lbs O__o..but then that night...I ended up binging again X___X...n since the 2nd week of november my binges have been off n on n it seems each time I try to break the cycle it gets harder n harder i dono y! ...2 days ago was the last time I looked at the scale...Im back up to 94 lbs...but last night I binged again...n now I dont even want to look at the scale anymore...i'm too scared of what i'll see...i really really really want to stop..i feel like a yo-yo cuz my binges keep startin n stoppin n startin n stoppin again...n my binges lately have become more n more frequent...i found out that i dun even binge on things that i'm craving for anymore..I just binge on random stuff now that doesnt even really taste all that good >_<...ever since all this started happening i've been feeling so angry n frustrated with myself ...i go to skool in a bad mood everyday n avoid my friends...i feel like i have no control of my eating n i dun kno even kno what's considered normal eating anymore...i always feel like im either eating too little or too much.....tomorrow is monday again which means i have to go to skool...this weekend i wus hoping to start fresh again but I didn't...i really dont know what to do anymore ..thnx to anyone that took the time to read all of that

Last edited:
I binge as well. I've only recently admitted to myself that if I don't have some way to monitor myself, I have no control over my eating. I love food, and I'd like to learn how to have a positive relationship with it one day, as I want to be a chef and dietician. I want to learn how to eat to live, and enjoy it in moderation, but have control over my intake. In the past I've binge-eaten in times of stress and boredom, but also just because I wanted to satisfy some inner craving for something...I can't explain. Either way, it has been hurting me since I was a child. I was not an overweight kid, but it started catching up with me in high school. I've lost a major amount of weight before, but never really kept it under control. Just last week I finally just admitted that my eating is disordered, and it's not normal. I admitted to myself that if I don't use some kind of crutch, that I will continue to binge eat. Therefore, I bought a small notebook to keep with me in my purse and take everywhere with me. After I eat anything, no matter when, where, or what, I write it down, along with the amount. I don't lie in this book, I divulge every little detail, that way I can hold myself accountable. It really helps me to keep my eating under control, I tell you! It's an amazing tool for me. It's discreet enough that I can jot things down in it and people never ask about it, so I haven't had to tell anyone about it. I do it for myself, so that I can get down to a comfortable and healthy weight, and so that I will continue to keep it off. When I get the urge to eat outside of my regimented meals and snacks that I allow myself, the book helps to remind me that I've had enough to eat, so that I can set about distracting myself from the desire to eat. It's been helpful and I recommend that anyone with compulsive overeating or bingeing issues try it out.

binger - big time

I am a serious binger. I too think about food from the minute I get up until the minute I go to bed. I am not hungry right now, and actually pretty full from the cheese and crackers I just downed and I am still wondering if there isn't something I am craving enough to go ahead and eat it. I am a salty snack/food lover. Chips are my enemy!!! And I love potatoes with lots of salt and butter. I am diabetes and a heart attack waiting to happen. And yet I cannot seem to find it within myself to do something about it. I have been looking at the Dr. Bernstein diet but it is so freakin expensive that I just don't think financially I can do it. I no there is no magic pill but I feel like I need to start with something that will show really promising results in order to continue and not fall off the wagon. Not to mention I am lazy. I can think of a million things to do rather than exercise. Especially now that it's winter and cold. I just feel like rock bottom is not something I will reach until something serious happens. Why oh why don't I care enough about myself to do something about this!!!?!?!?!?!? :banghead:

Why & When do you Binge

Hi Everyone,

Really haven't been a binge eater until probably a few years after kids. I know the reason, not in a happy marriage, not happy w/ my house --- Really not happy with me! I have allowed the lack of interest from my husband to effect me. Our sex life has gone down the crapper, for a while now. Maybe for about 10 yrs. I know that has really affected me. Sure u men don't usually hear this, but he was the one not interested. That's when I was pretty hot looking, about 140lbs, 5'7". U know at night, feet a little cold and you snuggle next to him and he jumps away as if u just put an ice cube down hiis back, yeh that's his reaction. So, yeh, I have internalized this to mean, must be me, what's wrong w/ me that he doesn't want to have sex w/ me. I guess as a woman,to me, that really feels like rejection and I have knocked the shit out of myself for it. My self esteem/self worth shouldn't be based on someone else, but it is and that's where my rut started and still is. Of course doesn't help that I opened a biz and went into about 300,000 dollars in debt and might never see any of this money back. So, besides my regular 40hr week job, also have this biz that depresses the crap out of me. So, since I am miserable, all I want to do at night, that's usually when I am home w/ hubby, is eat! Oh, I know it's not the trigger foods, it's the trigger situation that sets me off. Looking for comfort food. Doesn't matter if it's not in the house, because I will just keep trying different things until I get the comfort (which I usually don't) or just eat until I resign myself to bed.

Maybe I am not so much of a binger, but an emotional eater, meaning, "No, I wont eat a box of donuts or bag of cookies in one seating, but more like will just keep looking for something to eat to comfort me.

Really having a tough time w/ the eating and the emotions. Wish I could just have a week to me w/out anyone around to set me off. I know, why do I allow them to set me off? Has to do w/ me. I feel right now, I am really no better off than someone that uses drugs, drinks, whatever their viice to deal. Just wish my way of dealing was healthier. Funny, not that I keep these things in. I have talked to my hubby until I am blue in the face. Problem is there is no change from him and divorce to me is not an option.

Opening this biz, I thought would help financially. Looked at similiar businesses w/ the same demographics and my numbers aren't even close to the other businesses. maybe these people lied but all 3 said they were actually able to pay about $40,000 bucks back in loans the first year. Yeh, so, I am just paying the bills, no extra. so,nothing but a f'ing pain in the arse and more time away from my kids. Oh, yeh, this helped fiinancially. Now, w/ the money we invested, don't u think my hubby would care and want to strategize about this or even ask how it's going???? Nope. I mean, it's soooooo sad to me. If I didn't have kids, I'd just get in a car and drive and reinvent myself. Leave it allll behind. I know I wont be able to get my wt. under control until I deal w/ these situations and maybe except life the way it is. Can't even focus at work.

I am sooooo struggling here to get through each day w/ a smile for the rest, especially my kids.

Hi,
I have been a binge eater my whole life,did'nt know their was a name for it. I don't have to have a reason and I don't have to be hungry--most of the time I'm not hungry. Food is my friend,it's the one thing it's their for me. This thinking is what has cause me to eat my way up to 300 lbs. My top weight was 398 but I'm at 300 now, and looking for some way to get a hold on this demon. Any advice or help would be nice. Thanks for reading.:patriot:

Hey.

Former binge eater here. The weight piles on so quickly when you binge frequently.

I would eat everything that was in my fridge/cabinets in one sitting. Everything I could find. I've eaten cake-mix right out of the box if it was the last thing left, lol. I even ate expired food if there was nothing else to choose from at the time... (shame on me...) After that, I would go to the store and buy even more to eat. And, unfortunately, I would also buy fast food on the way home.

I feel your pain everyone.

Back