Aringga's Diary : to 85 and below

A.Waringga

-- How much weight do you want to lose?
My target is that i lose 35kg or 77lbs, as of now i weight 120kg or 254,5lbs

-- What is the timeframe for reaching your target weight?
About two months before physical class in college

-- How do you want to accomplish your goal (what methods do you want to use)?
For now, i cut down my calories and sugar intake and do jogging or walk for minimum time of 45 minutes, i also do fasting

-- Who or what can support you in reaching your goal?
A couple of my friends that see me grow "bigger" support me to be fit again, when i checked my body index it's about 39.3 which my weight status is obese, seeing the risk of chronic diseases and others like LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, and high blood pressure (correct me if im wrong) motivate me to lose my weight and be healthy, it'll be embarassing for me for such a young age (18).

-- How realistic is your goal?
before i got into college, i was in boarding school for senior high school, at that time i was about 110kg or 242,5lbs and i did everything i could like jogging, sit-up, plank this include not having dinner, breakfast with only tea and oatmeal, and for lunch is normal (mostly calories due to heavy activities during the day), in just two month my weight is about 87kg, so i suppose it's possible and realistic for me as long i'm highly motivated and dedicated to lose my weight (note that at that time i still do a medium amount of snacking and having sweet drinks)

-- When will you start?
I actually already started two days ago by pushing my limit by increasing my jog span to two minutes (usually walk (ten minutes)-jog (one minute)-walk (ten minutes)-jog (one minute) until i feel exhausted)

1. What is your current height and weight? 120kg and 175cm/264.5lbs and 5'7.
  2. If you were at an ideal weight now, what would that weight be? At very least 90kg or 198.4lbs.
  3. At what weight would you like to be at four months from now? 75kg or 165lbs.
  4. Why do you want to lose weight? Normal activities seems hard, even as simple as waking up from bed.
  5. Do you want to lose weight for a specific life event such as wedding or reunion? If so, when is that event? nope, just healthy weight.
  6. What obstacles could get between you and your weight loss goals? Lazyness and basically able to buy snacks or fast foods.
  7. Why do you think that you now have a weight problem? My BMI is 39.2 which according to BMI calculator i am obese.
  8. What lifestyle changes do you think would help you lose weight? Eating habit.
  9. Have you lost weight in the past? If so, what has worked in the past to help you lose weight? A little funny but jealousy haha.
  10. What, if anything, has not worked for you in the past in helping you to lose weight? Why do you think it did not work? Lack of consistency.
  11. Would you try writing down all food and drink consumed for a given period of time? Actually, no, i might do that though.
  12. Do you cook at home often? If so, what do you cook? For basic and daily consumption i eat rice, side dish sometimes chicken or beef.
  13. How often do you go out to eat? Where do you go? Not going out but i order food online due to lockdown, mostly fast food chain like mcdonalds or burger king, not too often, just if when im lazy to cook or busy with assignments.
  14. What are your three favorite restaurants? Mcdonalds, burger king and pizza hut (the locations are close too).
  15. Do you eat when you are not hungry? Yes, snacks.
  16. Do you binge eat (large amounts at a time)? Not really, i only do it if i'm invited to some kind of a party .
  17. Do you hide your food or eat in secret? no, infact, i often share my food to my friends if it's possible.
  18. Do you eat when you are sad, nervous, or depressed? Not eat but drink coffee.
  19. Do you eat as a reward? Yes, after fasting but in normal day i dont see it as a reward.
  20. Do you eat while watching TV or using the computer? Yes, youtube.
  21. What do you normally eat for a meal? Anything with rice is good.
  22. What type of snacks do you eat? Anything sweet or sour.
  23. In terms of exercise, what, if anything, are you currently doing? At the moment, just walking and jogging.
  24. Where do you go for exercise? A local public gym? School/work gym? Home? Home and around the neighborhood.
  25. What, if anything, are your three favorite types of exercise? Back then i my favorites are push-ups, planks and sit-ups.
  26. What is your daily/weekly/monthly/yearly motivation to move towards your goals? My dissapointment in my weight.
  27. Do you have rewards for certain goals? Yes!, i actually have a "goal savings" which is basically if i accomplish any of my goals, i can take it and spend it on something i really want, for weight lost, i will reward myself with a new Tablet.
These are the additionals questions i can answer, thanks for reading!

Hi, Aringga & a great big welcome to the forum. I love your introduction. Thank you for the detail. I think you have a very positive outlook & know what to do. It also sounds like you are motivated to do it. I look forward to seeing you reach your goals. Being healthy is the best motivation I think. I hope you like it here & get lots of support :)

So it's been almost a year that i have been disappeared from this website and honestly, i made little to no progress with my weight loss, not because I'm lazy, but because i don't really have much time to exercise, not even a 45 minutes walk or jog (which also made me lose my motivation little by little).

fyi why I don't have much time to exercise, I'm currently on my way to get my Bachelor degree and it's my second year or fourth semester, lots of assignments, lots of field practice, I also need to make money for my savings goal and pretty much next semester preparation (which currently on hold because the place I went to part-time job is closed), overall stress got into me and eating/snacking is my go-to to reduce stress, apart from sleeping (embarrassing, i know, haha).

Technically speaking, I'm able to do some exercise in Friday and Saturday since it's my dayoff but again, my brain is too "fried" to exercise, hence, I choose to sleep instead (yea, it's hard to defeat my own lazyness D: much hard)

So yea, that's so far my journey to a "successful" weight loss.

Hi, aringga & welcome back. What you eat is much more important than your exercise when it comes to losing weight. Cutting down on junk food will make a difference. Can you try eating some fruit instead of unhealthy snacks? Water instead of sugary drinks? Just try cutting down for a day at a time & see how you go. Exercise helps with a general feeling of well-being, but if you don't have the time try just walking whenever you can. Take some stairs instead of the lift etc.

I understand not having as much time to exercise (although really you need it even more when you're stressed and your brain is fried). But as Cate says weightloss is mostly about calories in. Do you happen to have gym access? I used to do a lot of reading and memorization on my mom's old stationary bike: for me movement helps with retention.

Hey @A.Waringga and welcome back.

Cate and Llama are right, while exercise is good for you and can help with weight loss a little it is much less important than what you eat. I lost most of my weight before I started exercising. Losing the weight first made exercise easier.

Do you track your food or calories against some goal? For weight loss that has most helped me.

Don't want to discourage exercise, it is great for you and you should do what you can. However, its only a relatively small part of losing weight.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!, thanks for all the replies!

some of you guys might know that this month is fasting month for me and I pretty much don't eat anything from dusk 'till dawn, while I do can sustain my energy for the rest of the day without food or water, the biggest temptation for me is when it's time to break my fast, it's always something sweet and contain lots of carbs, it's almost impossible for me to control my desire to eat those dishes :p.

though, i will start to do a little 30 minutes walk every morning, then 45 minutes and so on, it'll sacrifice my stamina for the day of course but i suppose it doesn't affect much of my activities during the day.

and for food, I don't really track my carbs or set any goal since I don't really know how or what is my goal, I only stop eating when I feel like I'm full and start eating when I feel hungry, I do understand that thirsty can be deceiving, disguised as hungry, so I usually just take the hungry option and start snacking to delay the "hunger".

i do need to admit, usually after a long day of class or work, once i hit the bed, it turned to something that I don't want to leave forever (you know the feeling haha), hence, all plans to workout at evening got cancelled.

and for gym access question, i used to have a gym membership last year, I often go there every weekend but the place is closed a few months ago due to the pandemic, so the only workouts i can do now are : Morning and Evening walk, some Home Workout (those apps you can find in app/play store) and a little of home gymnastics i watch from youtube

Maybe that's all for now on my progress to lost my weight or at least to keep my weight not to exceed 120kg or 264.5lbs for those who use imperial unit.

I completely understand wanting to eat everything in sight after a fast, especially if it's sweet or high in carbs... Do you have the option to start with soup or a salad to take the edge of your hunger? About not really knowing your goal: it might be helpful to just write down everything you eat and drink for two weeks (what it is and how much you had) to get an idea of where most of your calories are coming from and where you could make some easy changes that don't make you feel deprived. A free app like Cronometer or MyFitnessPal (both have paid programs but the free ones are fine) could help you figure out what you may not be getting enough of in your diet and what you're getting too much of.

the biggest temptation for me is when it's time to break my fast, it's always something sweet and contain lots of carbs, it's almost impossible for me to control my desire to eat those dishes :p.
If you want to lose weight I think this sounds like most of the problem. You have to want to make changes & be prepared to. You can change your habits.

26th April 2022

Steps
23 Minutes
1.51 km / 0.9 Mi

I've done my first ever "long" walk after probably seven months not doing it

Diary note :
started walking at 05:47am and done at 06:07am (Point A to Point A), it's not much but it's a start, tomorrow i'll search for a longer route for the walk, my hips and back a little hurt, i guess that's normal, body parts trying to adapt with the activity i believe, overall it's not that bad and hopefully i'll be consistent with this habit and extend the duration of the walk, maybe it'll turn from walk to jog very soon!

this afternoon, i'll try to do some home workout, maybe a few sets of a simple squat and some simple stretches, need to get that afternoon sweat for a start, i'll write the afternoon workout progress with the same format as the walk progress.

on the other side of this good news, I didn't have breakfast, only three glass of water (full big glass of 600ml or 21oz of water) so today might be a little challenging haha.

That's all for this morning.

Additional edit :
Well uh, apparently im on 123 kg or 271.1 lbs. i'm pretty sure it's because dinner last night, rice, sweet drinks and pretty much anything that is fried, my bad. im sure however, i'll lose a couple in a three days with consistent progress

Last edited:
If you want to lose weight I think this sounds like most of the problem. You have to want to make changes & be prepared to. You can change your habits.
yea haha, i already aware of this way long before, it's just i don't really have much motivation to fix myself but hopefully now i will able to do so.

I've done my first ever "long" walk after probably seven months not doing it

Diary note :
started walking at 05:47am and done at 06:07am (Point A to Point A), it's not much but it's a start, tomorrow i'll search for a longer route for the walk, my hips and back a little hurt, i guess that's normal, body parts trying to adapt with the activity i believe, overall it's not that bad and hopefully i'll be consistent with this habit and extend the duration of the walk, maybe it'll turn from walk to jog very soon!

this afternoon, i'll try to do some home workout, maybe a few sets of a simple squat and some simple stretches, need to get that afternoon sweat for a start, i'll write the afternoon workout progress with the same format as the walk progress.
Great start!! When I first started dieting I doubt I could have walked even as far as you did today. In fact I am sure I could not have. Now I can do 3 hours in the gym or walk or ride a bike for hours, no problem. But it took 2+ years to slowly get here. You are younger than I am, you can do better than I did!
some of you guys might know that this month is fasting month for me and I pretty much don't eat anything from dusk 'till dawn, while I do can sustain my energy for the rest of the day without food or water, the biggest temptation for me is when it's time to break my fast, it's always something sweet and contain lots of carbs, it's almost impossible for me to control my desire to eat those dishes
Maybe you can think of it as an intermittent fast diet. @overlandflyer is our expert here on IF.

I sure know that feeling of not being able to resist over eating after fasting. Maybe as Cate or Llama have suggested starting with something like fruit or a salad would help. I also find that exercise can reduce my hunger, you might try that just before ending the fasts. The exercise doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me.

You can do this!

I pretty much don't eat anything from dusk 'till dawn,
there are two problems i can see with your concept of fasting. 1) this time of year, even if you are generous and use Civil Twilight as your definition of dusk and dawn, in the U.S. that is only 8 to about 10 hours... a few hours short of obtaining any fasting benefit. 2) what do you mean by "pretty much"? any benefit from fasting cannot be realized unless all caloric intake is eliminated. some argue that <50 calories is ok... i try to keep it under 10 (mostly from lemon juice).

if you extend your breakfast until after your morning walk, that would be a huge difference than if you walk after breakfast. your body actually starts to use O2 more efficiently without the distraction of dealing with digestion. but overall, if you are trying to fast for other than religious reasons, make an attempt to close in on 14 to 16 hours. then make an effort to get to 18 hours. at that point you can call it fasting, nutritionally speaking.

regarding your breakfast itself. i know how tempting it is to overeat after breaking even an intermittent fast. there is no other way to handle this other than self-control. hunger isn't really physical. face it... if you were locked in a room with nothing but water, it would indeed be torture, but i can guarantee you wouldn't die. your body has too much stored fuel. hunger is mental. try to work out a breakfast that has at least 80% of calories from fat or protein. try to make it no more than a quarter of your daily calorie goal. i don't count calories, but it's not a impossible chore to get in the ballpark. try to switch from fruit juices (e.g. OJ) to whole fruits. eating the fiber along with the juice of the fruit makes a big difference in how your body handles the possibility of elevated blood sugar.

Last edited:
Yay for your first morning walk! Maybe don't extend it as long as this distance still hurts a bit though: wanting to go TOO quickly just leads to pain and injuries.

there are two problems i can see with your concept of fasting. 1) this time of year, even if you are generous and use Civil Twilight as your definition of dusk and dawn, in the U.S. that is only 8 to about 10 hours... a few hours short of obtaining any fasting benefit. 2) what do you mean by "pretty much"? any benefit from fasting cannot be realized unless all caloric intake is eliminated. some argue that <50 calories is ok... i try to keep it under 10 (mostly from lemon juice).

if you extend your breakfast until after your morning walk, that would be a huge difference than if you walk after breakfast. your body actually starts to use O2 more efficiently without the distraction of dealing with digestion. but overall, if you are trying to fast for other than religious reasons, make an attempt to close in on 14 to 16 hours. then make an effort to get to 18 hours. at that point you can call it fasting, nutritionally speaking.

regarding your breakfast itself. i know how tempting it is to overeat after breaking even an intermittent fast. there is no other way to handle this other than self-control. hunger isn't really physical. face it... if you were locked in a room with nothing but water, it would indeed be torture, but i can guarantee you wouldn't die. your body has too much stored fuel. hunger is mental. try to work out a breakfast that has at least 80% of calories from fat or protein. try to make it no more than a quarter of your daily calorie goal. i don't count calories, but it's not a impossible chore to get in the ballpark. try to switch from fruit juices (e.g. OJ) to whole fruits. eating the fiber along with fruit makes a big difference in how your body handles the possibility of elevated blood sugar.
oh right, i kinda forgot to mention, it's basically Ramadhan fasting and it's from 4:10am to 5:45pm here, i live in Indonesia, so it's about 13 hour-ish and i usually have breakfast at 3:30am for this month, either it's chicken and rice or some scrambled egg with chicken, i don't usually drink anything sugary sweet in the morning, either they are orange juice, milk or green tea. Breaking my fast is a different story, what is served on the table is what i eat to break my fast.

i dont have any permanent meal plan yet since i need to recalculate all my expenses for it (college student haha, tight on economy) but hopefully in a week or two i'll create my meal plan and also hopefully able to track on how many calories i take in a day.

Yay for your first morning walk! Maybe don't extend it as long as this distance still hurts a bit though: wanting to go TOO quickly just leads to pain and injuries.
thanks! and maybe you're right, too excited to make a progress isn't a good thing for a starter, start slow but steady.

This is a good start but do not try to push yourself to jog too early in the process, if you have joint pain from walking the increased impact from jogging is not a good idea.

I see your open to doing some squatting and stretching, a good idea is to include 10-15 minute sessions of basic bodyweight movements throughout your study day. Moderate exercise has been shown to reduce stress in students so if you can find even just a few minutes every 2-3 hours of study it should help.

i don't usually drink anything sugary sweet in the morning, either they are orange juice, milk or green tea.
Careful with orange juice: even the freshly squeezed, all natural stuff has almost as much sugar as Coca Cola.

Back