Alligatorob's Diary

It was a good day, my first with the new, hopefully more sustainable 1,600 to 1,800 calories per day.

Day 15

Breakfast
Grits 200
Raisins 100

Snack
Shake 200

Lunch
grits 200
Raisins 100

Snack
crackers 130

Supper
veggie stir fry with rice 251
beef 200

Nightcap
Whiskey 200

Total 1,581 calories

Reactions: PLB
It was a good day, and adjusting to my new higher calorie intake feels good so far, I am hungry and tired a lot less of the time. I got a food scale yesterday and discovered that I have been overestimating the amount of some things I am eating. So some of my calorie counts may have been a bit high, I am getting better at the calorie tracking thing.

Day 16
Breakfast
oatmeal 225
Raisins 150

Lunch
Cheese sandwich 400

Supper
Cheese sandwich 400
salad with a little blue cheese dressing 100
small orange 30
beer 140

Nightcap
Whiskey 200

Total 1,645 calories

Having accurate measurements can be really helpful when you´re on low calories. You´re still eating very little protein though, or am I missing something?

It's really tough to accurately track caloric intake... like everything else, it takes practice! If you were overestimating your calories, it might explain why you were hungry and tired. Glad you are feeling good with your new intake level.

Its been another good day, stayed on track and am feeling good, I appreciate all the support. LM and PLB, yes tracking calories accurately can be a challenge, but I am trying and even if I am a bit off it still helps.

Day 16

Breakfast
grapenuts 200

Lunch
turkey sandwich 450

Supper
salmon 305
salad with a little blue cheese dressing 150
2 small oranges 60
rice 100

Nightcap
Whiskey 200

Total 1,465 calories

Its been another good day, stayed on track and am feeling good, I appreciate all the support. LM and PLB, yes tracking calories accurately can be a challenge, but I am trying and even if I am a bit off it still helps.

Glad to be of help. And yes, it's all a learning curve!

Another good day, I actually came in under on my calorie count. I left calories for a nightcap but did not feel like whiskey tonight. I also missed lunch, I had a late breakfast then went fishing, by the time I got home it was almost supper time.

Day 16 Breakfast, an omelet
eggs 156
cheese 175
ham 150

Lunch
2 small oranges 60

Supper tuna 120 salad with lots of blue cheese 420
asparagus 27
yogurt 120

Total 1,228 calories

Looks like more protein there, I like it. A couple of extra veggies would be good (maybe something crunchy to go with breakfast?) but I guess missing lunch made that hard.

Just noticed an oversight, I had a piece of dry toast with breakfast yesterday, 110 calories. So my correct total was 1,338 calories, no big difference but I wanted to be correct.

It was a good day, I ate well and feel good. Still a little light on calories, but not bad.

I'm losing count of days, my first diet day was Wednesday May 15, so I am coming up on 3 weeks.

Breakfast
eggs 156
1 piece dry toast 110

Snack
yogurt 120

Lunch
beef jerky 140

Supper
hamburger patty 284
lettuce 10
cheese slice 113
apple 95

Snack yogurt 120

Nightcap
Whiskey 200

Total 1,348 calories

:) I see a lot of room left for veggies in that menu... Or a couple of nuts.
Good point, I will try on the veggies, not that I don't like them they are just more work to fix.

Today was a good day, ate well and felt good. I am in the process of trying to retire, but its a slow process. I am an independent consultant with probably 8 or 10 long term clients, they seem open to me retiring but prefer I stay on for a while longer. That's not all bad but so far I seem to be just as busy as I was before I told them I was looking to retire. I guess its a process.

Tuesday

Breakfast
Oatmeal 150
Raisins 100

Snack
yogurt 120

Lunch beef jerky 140

Snack pretzels 110

Supper a taco salad from a restaurant, had to make a wild guess at calories, I only at a couple of bites of the tortilla shell
taco salad 600

Nightcap a little wine 123

Total 1,343 calories

Well I waited a day to post it my weight just to be sure but I am at 306 lbs, up a pound. I know that I am losing weight, but as others have pointed out day in and day out weight bounces around, I guess I am on an up bounce. I am sure I have less fat than I did a week ago, so I am happy, a loss would have probably made me happier, but not a lot. I am still down 14 lbs in 3 weeks which is pretty good.

Yesterday was a good day, my calories were lower than planned I saved some for an evening snack and/or nightcap, but did not feel the need for either.

Wednesday

Breakfast
Oatmeal 150
Raisins 100

Lunch
beef jerky 180

Supper
hamburger patty 284
a big salad with lettuce, tomatoes, and peppers, no dressing 100
sunflower seeds 102
blue cheese 200
yogurt 120

Total 1,236 calories

You're doing really well!
Maybe next time you don't feel like having a nightcap have a piece of fruit or some nuts just to get your calories up. I know seeing your weight bounce around can feel threatening sometimes but you really do have better long-term prospects if you keep your calories a bit higher.

:iagree: with LaMa. You are doing very well. My weight bounces around all the time. A small bowl of nuts or some fruit is an excellent way of bumping up your calories at the end of the day & will most probably help you the next day as well.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. LaMa and Cate, I did add broccoli at dinner and a banana snack. It is hard to bring the calorie count up with veggies like broccoli, not unless you butter it or something, I don't.

I keep reminding myself that my real goal is to find a diet I can live with the rest of my life, not short term weight loss. I know weighing and weight loss are the best metric to be sure my chosen diet is working, over the longer term anyway. I think I would be perfectly happy eating 5,000+ calories a day if it did not cause weight gain, but it does so I have to learn to live with something other than what my instincts want.

Today was a good day, I am still a few calories below my target, but it feels ok. I am convinced my first 2 week "kickstart" was really less than 1,000 calories per day. Now that I am paying closer attention and weighing I realize that I was over estimating calories then. So I am eating noticecably more than in startup mode, even though the calorie counts don't look much higher. I am also getting better at picking low cal items, like a 140 calorie salmon steak rather than a 300 calorie one, same size just no skin and a lower fat variety (pink salmon).

Thursday
Breakfast
2 boiled eggs 156
2 small oranges 60

Lunch
beef jerky 180

Snack
more beef jerky 180

Supper
salmon 140 a big salad with lettuce, tomatoes, and peppers, no dressing 100
blue cheese 200
broccoli 31