Alligatorob's Diary

I think the level you're at is ok for a short time. Like two or three weeks, but definitely not over the long term. Teaching yourself true moderation is important: not too much and not too little.

Today was a good day, I ate well, came in a little above target, but not enough to matter. To be honest I know most of my reported calories are estimates with some error. So maybe today was closer to 1,200, but maybe some other days were a little over. Any honest estimate of calories is probably good enough.

Day 7

Breakfast
Oatmeal 150
Raisins 100

Snack
Ideal Shake 200

Lunch
Grits 200

Snack
Crackers 120

Dinner
Salmon 305
Salad with a little blue cheese dressing 200
Asparagus 50

Total 1,325 Calories

Hey Rob, Glad you started a journal! There are so many things to think about when it comes to making healthy changes and (hopefully) becoming physically active, so don't worry about doing things perfectly... there is no perfect way to do it. You've really made one of the biggest steps already by seeking out support. You'll find that as you go, you will figure things out and you'll discover what works best for you.

Looking forward to reading about your progress! And feel free to post questions. A lot of the forum sections have "sticky" threads that stay at the top of the list of threads. These often contain useful information, but let us know if there are broken links... there have been a lot of forum changes over the years, so we're working on updating those!

Just weighed in at 309, down 11 lbs in my first week.

I know a lot of this is water and the clearing of digesting food out of my system, but some of it is fat, and it feels good. Feels better knowing that for the last week I have been eating a planned diet and have a good plan for today.

Congratulations on a huge drop! As long as you're aware it can't continue this way there's nothing wrong with being proud of what you've accomplished.

Reactions: PLB
Today and yesterday I have been hungry a lot and feeling a bit slow. I am going to see how it goes the rest of the day, but I may consider upping my calories a little, maybe 1,600.

Reactions: PLB
The day ended well, I had a banana and got past feeling hungry and tired.

Day 8

Breakfast
Oatmeal 150
Raisins 100

Snack
Ideal Shake 200

Lunch
Grits 200

Snack
banana 105

Dinner
chicken 200
broccoli 93

Snack
Popcorn 110

Total 1,158 Calories

As long as you're aware it can't continue this way there's nothing wrong with being proud of what you've accomplished.
Right, no way to sustain an 11 lb a week weight loss and stay alive! It would not surprise me if I did not lose any weight next week, my weight tends to bounce around I probably just hit the scales this morning on a low.

Sounds like you´re being sensible about all this and prepared to adapt when reality demands it. That´s a great start for successful long-term weightloss.

It was a good day, the hunger and tired feeling I had early in the week seems to have past. Grandkids unexpectedly descended on us after dinner bringing pizza. I managed to resist it, but did take on big bite.

Day 9

Breakfast
Oatmeal 150
Raisins 100

Lunch
Grits 200

Snack
banana 105

Dinner
Pork 330
broccoli 60

Snack

Grapes 80
big bite of pizza 100

Total 1,125 Calories

Good work Rob!

You seem to be a very structure orientated person so keeping a strict diet may work for you. I could never stick to a routine like that.

Keep it up.

Hi, Rob. I have been away since you started your diary so I just read back to the start. A belated welcome from me. It's great to get off to a good start with an 11 lb drop. You said that you have lost over 100 lbs before & regained it. I lost 36 kg in 6 months back in 2007. It was way too fast & I have really struggled to keep it off. I wish now that I had taken longer & learned more about nutrition & metabolism. If you get a chance see a nutritionist. How tall are you, btw? A belated welcome from me :)

Hi, Rob. I have been away since you started your diary so I just read back to the start. A belated welcome from me. It's great to get off to a good start with an 11 lb drop. You said that you have lost over 100 lbs before & regained it. I lost 36 kg in 6 months back in 2007. It was way too fast & I have really struggled to keep it off. I wish now that I had taken longer & learned more about nutrition & metabolism. If you get a chance see a nutritionist. How tall are you, btw? A belated welcome from me :)
Hey Cate, thanks for the welcome. I am short, 5' 7" on a good day. My plan is to transition to a more sustainable diet after the 2 weeks, only 4 days left.

Thanks for the advice, it is consistent with what a lot of other folks have been telling me, and I am sure it is right. The more people who tell me the same, the more convinced I am.

Last edited:
It was a good day, ate a few calories more than most days, but not much. My wife made me this really good cheese sandwich for lunch, but it had more calories than my usual lunch of instant grits. Tasted better too.

Day 10

Breakfast
Oatmeal 150
Raisins 100

Lunch
Cheese sandwich 550
Crackers 120

Dinner
Pork 400
broccoli 60

Total 1380 Calories

it had more calories than my usual lunch of instant grits. Tasted better too.
:D Why am I not surprised? The one great benefit of eating a very restricted diet for two weeks is that afterwards everything´s likely to taste better. That sometimes makes it hard to stick to your calories but I think you can do it.

would it be too much trouble to add the times you have B-L-D? i find the times people eat more significant than what they eat. for your own records, you should consider splitting calories into the three sources... carbohydrate, protein and fat. you might have an easier time finding a balance that works best for you. .just a thought or two. cheers.

Back