Alligatorob's Diary

Just weighed in at 303 lbs, that is down 3 lbs this week, but only 2 lbs in the last 2 weeks, I was up a pound then. This is a 17 lb loss in my first month of dieting, which makes me very happy! I know losing weight at the rate of 17 lbs a month is not sustainable, and that's not what I am trying to do. I just want to find a good diet that will be sustainable in the long run, and losing weight is a metric to help me see that I am doing it. We will see what next month brings.

Thanks to all the folks here who have been giving me advice and support, it really helps!

Hi Rob, I've been scanning your comments in your diary and it seems like you have such a great and open attitude. When I get pretty low on calories especially several days in a row, I start getting cranky and my outlook can turn negative. This current drop in weight has actually been a lot better for me than in times past though. You have been rather consistent it seems to me. Great for you and for us following along. Good job on your progress so far and I hope it continues to go well for you!

I think you are doing wonderfully. I have all kinds of ups and downs in weight loss, but it's really the big picture consistency toward more healthy that is helping me the most. When I get into a rhythm where healthy feels better than unhealthy I do the best at losing weight, so I think you have a great attitude! I've lost 45 pounds, 20 or so to go. It's taking me a while, but I don't care because I am after a permanent lifestyle change like you are talking about!

.... I don't bite, not people anyway.
this is more of an FYI for those who may not know, but one time i had to go the the ER to get an infected cat bite taken care of, and the attending physician told me that if i ever again got bitten by either a cat or a human, i should go to the hospital asap as there is very close to a zero chance it will not become infected. if you had your choice of an animal, get bitten by a dog.

Gator meat is good diet food, very lean and low calorie. But since we moved to Utah I have no access to it. I was getting a bit tired of hunting gators anyway, to be honest the meat doesn't taste that good, my wife won't eat it, and I have all the gator hides anyone could every use.

Yesterday was a good day, got back on track and ate well.

Wednesday - back to "normal"

Breakfast
grits 200
raisins 150

Lunch
turkey sandwich, lean turkey, no cheese, and no mayo 340
grapes 40

Supper salmon 305
rice 108
butter on the rice 60
green peas 59

snack
grapes 45

Nightcap
Whiskey 200

Total 1,507 calories

:) Ok, now I´m curious what you do with alligator hides.
The hides are the tanned skin, gators make very nice leather. I've had wallets, purses, and briefcases made from my hides, but I don't really need more of that stuff. I might have another one made into wallets, they are nice gifts. Right now the ones I have left just sit in a box in my closet.

:D Thank you, I´m not sure I´m relieved or disappointed by how logical and mundane that is. I adore reptiles and their skin. It just feels so nice.

It was a good day, ate well and I feel good.

Thursday

Breakfast
yogurt 80
cereal 150
blackberries 30

Lunch salmon and rice 400

snack
fritos 160

Supper bacon, cheese, and lettuce sandwich 500

snack 7 oz of strawberries 100

Total 1,420 calories

You keep track of things so well! (I should learn from you.)
My wife looked at my calorie count and thinks I underestimated the calories in her bacon cheese sandwich, it should be 600, so my total for the day should be 1,520. So I'm not perfect!

Its really not hard, I do it on a spreadsheet and look the calories up and estimate as best I can. As long as I don't wait too long to catch up its easy. It really does help me to know where I am and to stay on track.

Today was a good day, it is finally warming up here, about a month late........ I did get some bad news tonight, i measured the whiskey I had been thinking was 2 1/2 ounces and found it was really about 4. However I also looked up the calories in Jim Beam, my current poison of choice and found it to be a little less per ounce than I had been assuming. So I have probably been drinking a few more calories in my nightcaps than I claimed, but not a lot. Tonight's was measured and right. I know whiskey does no one any good, but I do like it, and it has few calories per ounce of actual alcohol than most drinks (I think).

Friday

Breakfast yogurt 80
cereal 150
strawberries 30

Lunch rice 324
cheese 230
lettuce and tomatoes, no dressing 20

Supper
lean hamburger patty 184
blackberries 84
yogurt 80

snack hummus 94