Alligatorob's Diary

Well done on 5 days! Getting back to yoga sounds like a win as well. I'm glad you're not competitive with it because a lot of physical damage can happen in yoga when you are.

I bet the young, fit women admire you for doing yoga, Rob.
Five days in a row! Ate well, exercised and I feel fine tonight.
Good for you!

Today is proving hard, I sure would like to binge... However so far I have resisted and am optimistic. Hopefully I will get to bed time with my streak intact. It's only 2:30 in the afternoon, the worst part of the day is yet to come...

The important thing to remember is that you CAN resist. There is no alien control device implanted in your brain stem that forces you to open the cookie jar. It's just your own brain playing tricks on you like a door-to-door salesman trying to convince you to buy an encyclopedia you don't need. Don't negotiate, don't even entertain the polite conversation he's using to try and make you feel obligated to buy the bloody thing out of politeness. Just say no and close the door. It'll feel mighty uncomfortable but later you'll be glad you did.

I did make it through yesterday without a binge. Did not eat the best of foods in the evening, but no binge and still on track for the kickstart, 6 days now. Exercise was some gym things on my own and a cycling class. In cycling I was able to keep up, doing all of the sprints and standing with the rest of the class. First time I have ever been able to do that! Not as fast, or probably with as much resistance as most, but I did it. Pre-surgery my knees wouldn't let me but now they have healed to the point I can, felt good.
The important thing to remember is that you CAN resist. There is no alien control device implanted in your brain stem that forces you to open the cookie jar. It's just your own brain playing tricks on you like a door-to-door salesman trying to convince you to buy an encyclopedia you don't need. Don't negotiate, don't even entertain the polite conversation he's using to try and make you feel obligated to buy the bloody thing out of politeness. Just say no and close the door. It'll feel mighty uncomfortable but later you'll be glad you did.
Thanks Llama, those are words of wisdom, for sure! But you have me thinking about that "alien control device implanted in your brain stem that forces you to open the cookie jar" maybe I'll get x-rayed just to be sure...
I bet the young, fit women admire you for doing yoga
Not sure admire is the right word, but they are friendly, and sometimes kindly say I'm doing great... not that I believe it. The gym is a very friendly non judgmental and non competitive place, a good thing. I have to say it is the only place I know of where I can be in the company of so many, unrelated, pretty young ladies who smile at me and call me by name. Helps me want to go back, LOL!
Getting back to yoga sounds like a win as well. I'm glad you're not competitive with it because a lot of physical damage can happen in yoga when you are.
Not even close to competitive, and the instructor encourages that, often as part of her instructions tells us of things that are easier. She frequently suggests alternatives that are easier on my knees or otherwise accommodate my lack of flexibility. She always thanks me for coming, a nice lady. And one of those fit young women, daughter of the trainer I sometimes use.

One of my most memorable encounters with one of the fit young ladies was not in the gym, but whilst shopping. She recognized me first and said, loudly, "didn't recognize you with your clothes on", once I got over the initial shock we both laughed.
Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal.jpg

maybe I'll get x-rayed just to be sure...
Better have an mri. Surely aliens as advanced as that won't use clubky old earth materials.
In cycling I was able to keep up, doing all of the sprints and standing with the rest of the class. First time I have ever been able to do that!
Awesome! I know the past couple of months have been rough at times but it sounds like it's really starting to pay off.
they are friendly, and sometimes kindly say I'm doing great... not that I believe it.
Maybe not if you compare yourself to young Olympians but you're blowing most of your peers out of the water.
She recognized me first and said, loudly, "didn't recognize you with your clothes on", once I got over the initial shock we both laughed.
:rotflmao: I hope her husband wasn't there.

The gym is a very friendly non judgmental and non competitive place, a good thing.
That's a very good thing & no wonder you return to it. I am sure that they admire you being amongst them & really working on your fitness.
One of my most memorable encounters with one of the fit young ladies was not in the gym, but whilst shopping. She recognized me first and said, loudly, "didn't recognize you with your clothes on", once I got over the initial shock we both laughed.
That is hilarious! I love it :D

Well, I'm back again... did not do well when away too many binges to think about. Its funny every morning I wake early have a good breakfast, go to the gym and feel good about the world. Sure I will do well the rest of the day... never seemed to happen. Today was an ok day, too much biscotti and chocolate, but no real binges. If I can drop the sweets I would be alright. We'll see what tomorrow brings, I am going to try.Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal_Page_1.jpg
Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal_Page_2.jpg

Trying is all we can do and it's a lot better than not trying. Glad to see you here again my friend: the forum isn't the same without you :grouphug:

Today was a better day, I ate well, exercised and feel pretty good tonight. Managed to stay away from chocolates and cookies, a good thing.

Went to the doctor for my 4 1/2 month knee check. He said all looks fine. I still have pain, hurts to do things like go down stairs and stand up from a chair but he said that's all normal. I also still have some swelling, which he says is normal and will probably take another couple of months to go away. He said most of the pain is now what he calls "biomechanical" that's my body adjusting to the new knee and the way it works. This is getting old, but I know it is slowly getting better.
Trying is all we can do and it's a lot better than not trying.
Yeah, I suppose that's right, I just struggle with doing it every day...Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal_Page_1.jpgFree Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal_Page_2.jpg

I'm glad you're back again, Rob. We miss you when you're not here. Staying away from cookies & chocolate sounds like a good plan. Sometimes it's just better not to tempt yourself by having "just the one". I don't think I would cope well with having homemade biscotti in the house, assuming you do mean those delicious little Italian almond biscuits.

Today was a good day, ate pretty well and got in some diverse exercise. Feel good tonight to. My exercise was 1 hour in the gym, followed by an hour of snow shoveling, then a little less than an hour of Physical Therapy, and finally an aqua aerobics class this evening. The PT is for my shoulder, not my knees. It isn't bad, but has slowly started hurting a bit more all the time, thought maybe I could head it off with the PT. My doctor agreed and wrote the prescription so insurance will pay.
I'm glad you're back again, Rob.
Thanks Cate, I am glad to be back. When my food is not going well I have a hard time posting, I know I should but I usually don't. Much easier to report success...
I don't think I would cope well with having homemade biscotti in the house, assuming you do mean those delicious little Italian almond biscuits.
Yes, that is what I'm talking about, my wife made them. Had a couple today, but not to excess. I probably need to ask her not to make any more for me...
Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal_Page_1.jpgFree Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal_Page_2.jpg

That looks like a good day, Rob. I have an appointment to see a physio this week to help me with exercises/stretches to help me with my golf. I'm really looking forward to it.

Good thinking nipping those shoulder issues in the bud. Much easier to treat when you still have good active range of motion.
You know we're happy to have you here even when you aren't doing great on the food front, right?

Today was a good day, ate well exercised and I feel fine tonight. Had to do more snow moving today, but more plowing than shoveling.
I have an appointment to see a physio this week to help me with exercises/stretches to help me with my golf. I'm really looking forward to it.
I have become pretty sold on using physical therapy. When my left shoulder was hurting (much worse than my right is now) the doctor said I probably needed surgery but should try PT first. It took a while 6+ months but the PT stretches and exercises worked very well, I now have full range of motion, strength - without surgery. I still do some of the exercises and my left shoulder is fine. And with my knees PT was a huge help. Now its my right shoulder, but hopefully starting early will make it a simpler process. I am pretty sure they can help you with your golf. Best of luck with it.
You know we're happy to have you here even when you aren't doing great on the food front, right?
Thank you for saying that, it makes me feel a bit better. However I did know that, no one here has ever been anything but supportive, no matter what I have said or done. It's me not y'all that keeps me away. I have to fight that.
Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal_Page_1.jpgFree Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal_Page_2.jpg

It's me not y'all that keeps me away. I have to fight that.
:D Yes please! I know the feeling though: whenever I mess up more than once in a short period of time I don't want to hear the encouragement from the lovely people here because I'm convinced I'm a fraud who doesn't deserve it and it just makes me feel worse.

After a binge break today was a good day, ate well, exercised and feel good tonight. I sure wish I could better manage the binge demon...
! I know the feeling though: whenever I mess up more than once in a short period of time I don't want to hear the encouragement from the lovely people here because I'm convinced I'm a fraud who doesn't deserve it and it just makes me feel worse.
Yep...Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal_Page_2.jpgFree Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal_Page_1.jpg

It's almost 1 pm, and I have eaten pretty well so far. Just had a mostly lettuce salad with some chicken on it. It was a lot of lettuce and should be filling but some how its not. I'm not actually still hungry, but sure am craving more. There are some cookies in the kitchen that I can't seem to ignore...

I'll do my best, and probably get past this today but I am really tired of having to fight these urges. I know giving in will just make things worse, but I also know how often I have given in... 5 minutes of bingeing can change a whole day...
Would you two like me to get nasty?
Who knows, maybe we should give it a try... LOL. Cate I doubt it's in you.
Please don't: I promise I'll be good!
There you go, LOL!

Back