abears aug-sept training log

always thought about keeping an online training log so i decided to go for it. my goals over the next two months are to reduce the size of my waist, hang on to my existing muscle size and gain more strength.

i lost 1 inch off my waist over june and july, went from 36 to 35. my goal is to do at least another inch maybe more. i'm not that big (14" arms and calves) so i at least want to keep my size and i'm not that strong (245lbs max squat) so i want to get stronger.

i train 2x a day, 6 days a week incorporating speed rope, sled pulls, weight lifting, bodyweight exercises, HIIT, farmers walks and ab work.

this will wrap up my summer training which i do from june to september. october is an inbetwen month where i begin to get ready for winter training which i do from november to april with may another inbetween month.

week 1 - day 1

6:20am to 6:53 am

did the speed rope. warmed up with 2 sets of 15 jumps followed by 2 more sets of 30 jumps. then did 5 sets of 60 jumps each. messed up 5 times total and had to restart, i'm not very coordinated but i'm getting better. last summer i could never get past 20 jumps.

day 1

3:13pm to 3:57pm

did circuits of speed rope, sled pulls and farmers walks

after warming up, did 30 jumps then pulled sled forward with chain around waist with 105lbs for 50 feet, turned around and pulled it backward with chain around waist 50 feet then grabbed 38lb dumbells in each hand and walked 150 feet.

did that twice

then did 30 jumps followed by pulling the sled forward holding chains in hands for 50 feet, turned around and walked backward holding chains in hands for 50 feet followed by overhead farmers walks with 25lb dumbells in each hand for 150 feet.

did that twice

when finished was breathing as hard as if i just did a session of HIIT. picked everything up and brought it in the house and did a full body stretch.

gave it a 10 out of 10. was focused, worked hard and had a smile on my face when i finished. now just 55 days to go. :)

day 2

no training but getting plenty of exercise with mowing the grass and washing and waxing the car

wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off :p :p :p

day 3

4:25am - 4:57am

after warming up, did abs and HIIT

did planks holding position for 3 sets of 20 seconds, side planks for 3 sets of 20 seconds each side and ab wheel for 3 sets of 10 reps

then did HIIT on the stationary bike for 4 minutes with 30/30 intervals

gave it a 10 out of 10. pushed extra hard on the HIIT, got the bike up to 28mph

hit the weights this afternoon after work. :)

day 3

3:07pm - 4:00pm

after warmups did

squats 180x3 - 200x3 - 210x3
flat bench press 120x3 - 130x3 - 140x3
standing shoulder press 80x3 - 90x3 - 100x3
bent over rows 90x3 - 100x3 - 110x3

my last lifting session was july 22nd and i set personal records for all four lifts. about halfway through today i started feeling the effects of a poor nights sleep last night. will go for new personal records august 12th. i gave this workout 9 out of 10.

day 4

4:24am - 5:00am

speed rope, warm up 2 x 15 jumps then 2 x 30 jumps. did 5 sets of 60 reps. only messed up and had to restart 3 times compared to 5 saturaday morning. legs felt heavy from squatting yesterday, i like that. ;)

day 4

3:15pm - 3:57pm

repeat saturday afternoons workout with speed rope, sled and farmers walks

after warming up, did 30 jumps then pulled sled forward with chain around waist with 105lbs for 50 feet, turned around and pulled it backward with chain around waist 50 feet then grabbed 38lb dumbells in each hand and walked 150 feet.

did that twice, resting 60 seconds b/w

then did 30 jumps followed by pulling the sled forward holding chains in hands behind me for 50 feet, turned around and walked backward holding chains in hands for 50 feet followed by overhead farmers walks with 25lb dumbells in each hand for 150 feet.

wasnt breathing as hard as saturday. no surprise as that was my first workout after a week off but still, want to see improvement. thinks i'm gonna repeat this again come thursday and then make changes to this after that.

got done just as the weather was building up

day 5

4:29am - 5:02am

abs and cardio

did planks holding position for 3 sets for 25 seconds, side planks for 3 sets of 25 seconds each side and ab wheel for 3 sets of 10 reps

did HIIT on the bike for 4 minutes with 30/30 intervals. kept the bike at 27-28 mph during intense cycles

gonna keep adding more time to the ab work, will increase HIIT next week

day 5

3:09pm - 3:53pm

deadlifts - what i've been doing is placing plates on top of a 2x4 on the floor and deadlifting them up. just trying to do somthing different. so i did a 45lb plate for 6 reps. then added a 25lb plate for 70lbs and did 6 reps. then did two 45lb plates for 90lbs for 2 sets of 6 reps.

good mornings 50x8 - 70x8 - 100x6. 100lbs was too much for me. will reduce for next week

pullups 4 sets of 2 reps each
dips 4 sets of 6 reps each
pushups 4 sets of 8 reps each

basic and simple. and had a cheat meal at chilis last night. :D

day 6

4:23am - 4:54am

speed rope. warm up with 2 sets of 15 jumps then 2 sets of 30 jumps. then did 5 sets of 60 jumps each. only messed up and had to restart once so i'm improving. will change my workout scheme for next session which will probably be sunday. plan on taking saturday as my off day.

day 6

3:10pm - 3:51pm

a repeat of saturday and tuesdays workout

then did 30 jumps followed by pulling the sled forward holding chains in hands behind me for 50 feet, turned around and walked backward holding chains in hands for 50 feet followed by overhead farmers walks with 25lb dumbells in each hand for 150 feet.

as compared to saturday, today was dare i say "easy". i will change up for the next time i do this.

at about 2:10pm the rain started pouring. i was at work keeping an eye out the door and on the local radar. we had one of those dark red spots over us, the heavy steady stuff. so i'm thinking i couldnt train outside and was formulating plan B. about 2:30pm it began to let up. when i got home it had stopped, but the yard was soggy and flooded but i went for it. was wet and muddy when i finished but i got it done.

showered then we had a few friends over and we cooked up. great day!!! :)

day 7

4:22am - 4:56am

did speed rope. warmed up with 2 sets of 15 jumps then 2 sets of 30 jumps. then did 5 sets of 60 jumps. ONLY MESSED UP AND HAD TO RESTART ONE TIME!!! big improvement from my first session last saturday. will add to this for next workout.

day 7

3:11pm - 4:02pm

after warming up did

squats 210lbs 3X3
bench press 140lbs 3X3
shoulder press 100lbs 3X3
bent over row 110lbs 3X3

will add 5lbs on all lifts for next session. feel like i'm finding my groove, towards the end of this week was wanting to do more but i dont believe in rushing.

Week 2 of 8

day 8

off day today, no training. later on we're gonna get ready and spend the day on the road, here and there. we're going to our friends house for lunch, then heading out to lafayette and hit old navy, victorias secret, barnes and noble. may finish with a cheat meal at pizza hut. :D

day 9

6:17am - 6:47am

speed rope. warmed up with 2 sets of 15 jumps each, then 2 sets of 30 jumps each. then i did 6 sets of 60 jumps each, i added one more set from last week. not too happy with my performance as i screwed up and had to restart 6 times. but i didnt lose focus and kept at it.

i guess it was too much activity in the neighborhood that was distracting me. ppl were leaving with their boats to head to the point, someone was cutting grass (this early??) and i could smell a bbq pit starting up. but thats no excuse.

Back