20lbs or less club

bglittert1979

Hey guys! I am currently 5'6 and 131lbs and want to weigh 120. I gained the 11 lbs in the last year and a half. It is very upsetting for me and I am trying to get back on the wagon. My plan starts tomorrow. I would like some support and would like to help someone else with their goals too!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/3;10704;96;0;1/c/131/t/120/s/131/k/8ccc/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Hey bglittert1979!

I love this idea! I only have about 8.4 pounds to lose (started at 10!) and sometimes i feel so stupid being on this website because everyone has ALOT more to lose then me!

I am 5'1, and weigh 118.6 right now, i want to get down to 110!

What are you planning on doing food wise? Are you going to try to exercise daily?

Liv

Great idea! I couldn't have joined y'all when I started, but now I'm in the range! I find it a little hard to stay motivated just because it seems you lose slower when you are closer, which is sooooo annoying!

Thanks

Hey Guys! Thanks for joining me! I used to be 172lbs about 8 years ago, that was my peak. So I get really terrified when I gain weight. I exercize 1-3 times a week and I am going to go back to working out 3-5 days a week. My food plan is basically eat 1500 or less but I am thinking more around 1200 cal. Breakfast will be something filling b/c, I get mid morning munchies and lunch light like soup, and dinner should be heavy b/c I get evening munchies too! Fridays can be weigh in days too ( I saw that in another post). I am a boredom eater and emotional eater and right now I'm not working so I have to learn to be going for walks or going to the gym when I get bored rather then eating. What have you guys been doing?

Sounds like you have a wonderful plan! :D My is exercise is 3-6 times a week, unless i am busy with school then its 1-3 times. I do cardio and weights. Cardio is walking, which i try to do everyday, and weights i try to do every other day.

My goal for calories is under 1500, but i am having a hard time figuring out if i am getting under it. I am fine till dinner; we make most of our meals and it is such a pain to figure it all out!

But i think i am, up till dinner i usually have eaten about 800 calories, dinner i THINK is around 500 calories so that’s 1300.

Liv

PS - your not alone on the boredom eating and emotional eating! I usally eat when i am doing homework or when i have had a REALLY bad day at school!

Hey Guys! Thanks for joining me! I used to be 172lbs about 8 years ago, that was my peak. So I get really terrified when I gain weight. I exercize 1-3 times a week and I am going to go back to working out 3-5 days a week. My food plan is basically eat 1500 or less but I am thinking more around 1200 cal. Breakfast will be something filling b/c, I get mid morning munchies and lunch light like soup, and dinner should be heavy b/c I get evening munchies too! Fridays can be weigh in days too ( I saw that in another post). I am a boredom eater and emotional eater and right now I'm not working so I have to learn to be going for walks or going to the gym when I get bored rather then eating. What have you guys been doing?

I started out eating 1200 or so calories, but eventually knocked them up to 1500-1600; changed to whole healthy foods almost completely, and started a substantial weight training program. I also try to do HIIT cardio on the arc trainers at the gym 3-4 times a week. I drink water like there's no tomorrow (which I had never done before!), I gave up soda and cigarettes.

I also eat when I'm bored! Not so much for emotional reasons - actually, the few times in my life I've been seriously depressed, I've actually lost an alarming amount of weight. But bored, definitely, or absent-mindedly when I'm studying (which explains all the gain during the first year of law school!!)

i'm back and help is needed

well, i'm back....and i agree, once i hit the level i am at, i felt 'funny' being on this site complaining about 10 lbs when people are losing 100s! They are inspiring but to find more people like yall is helpful. i am actually gonna pop in here w/ some immediate questions. i hope yall dont mind but seeming you are probably similar in some way maybe, someone has an idea of how to help me get movin' again!

So, I've hit yet another plateau and I'm looking for some guidance. I am an exercise junky (i love it, but that does cause me to get stuck in a routine b/c i'm not bored w/ it, i dont change it and then it stops doing all the positives it was at the beginning..

anyways, i have plateau-ed at 143 lbs for 3 months now. I've had longer. Yeah, not fun. Anyways, i obviously need to CHANGE something but that is where my question lies...

small background is that i lost 15 lbs, eating about 1200 cals/day and exercising 4x long cardio, 2 x weight training (full body), 2 x pilates, 1 rest day and occasionally yoga...then i stalled (again) and it was apparently that i wasnt eating enough calories w/the amount of exercise expenditure....upped to 1500 cals, lost a few pounds and am stuck again...a nutritionist said to up again to 1700-1800 cals/day which i am at now (as i did it slowly and it has been 3 weeks at this nutrition intake).

Questions
I want to lose another 10-15 lbs...and i want to SEE the muscles that I feel under this last layer of fat....however, i'm not sure what to do to get there (that is where yall come in). I've read so many conflicting things and I know if i change too much at once, it will end up being counterproductive b/c I wont know what started losing again whenever i do..

DO I?

1) continue w/ my exercise program, change it up in terms of duration, intensity, add more HIIT and intervals than before and continue with the same type full body strength training routine, aiming to lose fat, but not lose muscle? this will probably lead to some muscle loss and then i work to tone and rebuild AFTER the lbs are gone??

2) change up my whole program - do 4x circuit training, 2x pilates, 1x yoga but focus more on weights, with shorter cardio cycles and build muscle which supposedly will eventually 'burn the fat' away?

3) drop my calories back down lower again? I'm hesitant to do this as maintenance right now is at 2100 so eating 1700 causes 400 cal deficit w/o my exercising included..

4) any other ideas?????????????

thanks so much for your advice/thoughts and sharing!

Hey skyler!

Its good to see we are in the same boat! I don’t really care about the number, i just want to be able to see the muscles in my stomach and get rid of these love handles :p

Now, about you question I would personally go with #2. But if you DO go with number #2 the thing you have to remember is, working with weights is you might now always reach your ideal goal, in numbers. But the weight would be your muscle INSTEAD of your fat! And you would more or less have that muscle showing!

See what I think would happen with #1 (don’t quote me, its just my option) is yes you would lose weight, but your % of fat would still be high. And there would be no muscles showing.

See with me, my weight loss is slow; I drop .5-.8 pounds a week! But that’s ok with me because i know i am gaining muscle and dropping the fat!

Good luck to you! (And i hoped that made sense...I tend to ramble :p)

Liv

Hey Skylar! All 3 sound like good ideas! I would probaly do 1 and 3. Number 2 is a good idea too but me personally have an easier time just adjusting my workouts rather then changing it all together. My progress today has been pretty good. I am starting to get munchies though so I might go snack on an apple or something or go for a walk. I'll post again later! How is it going for ya'll?

Its good to see we are in the same boat! I don’t really care about the number, i just want to be able to see the muscles in my stomach and get rid of these love handles

Now, about you question I would personally go with #2. But if you DO go with number #2 the thing you have to remember is, working with weights is you might now always reach your ideal goal, in numbers. But the weight would be your muscle INSTEAD of your fat! And you would more or less have that muscle showing!

See what I think would happen with #1 (don’t quote me, its just my option) is yes you would lose weight, but your % of fat would still be high. And there would be no muscles showing.

See with me, my weight loss is slow; I drop .5-.8 pounds a week! But that’s ok with me because i know i am gaining muscle and dropping the fat!

TOTALLY IN THE SAME BOAT!! I was leaning towards #2 as well and for the VERY same reasons..i dont care what the number says , i just wantt o see my muscles under this last layer of fat (blugh)...i cant decide...i just joined a gym...i m getting conflicting answers but i KNOW i've dont unlimited cardio and havent lost much weight as my body gets 'used to it' so maybe i try more weight training and see what happens? can't hurt, right? i am so wishy-washy right now w/ what to try next....

thanks!

Skyler - No problem! The first 3 months i joined the gym, i only did walking. I probably lost 2 pounds but then gained then right back! It is such a pain when you only have a little left to lose; your Metabolism is slower so it is much harder!
Just a little tidbit…I read somewhere that 1 pound of muscle burns 30-60 calories a day!

bg - today hasn’t been the best for me... i woke up late because we had an electricity blackout during the night and my alarm turned off. :mad: so i got up at 11 and it kind of messed up my eating. I ate breakfast at 11, and then worked out at 1, then had lunch at 4. Oh well, everyday cant be perfect, right?

Hey! I did ok food wise, but did not make it to the gym. I am planning on doing some tae bo tonight though. We shall see! Aeris had the food diary above so I did it too b/c it looked like a good idea.

When the end of the day comes and I have been telling myself to go to the gym and I still haven't, it really bugs me. I have to get on the ball when it comes to working out.

Liv- It's ok to make mistakes!!! We all do, just remember to get back on track!

Hey guys!

Thanks for posting that link BG! I made an account,

its pretty cool!

But i am worried at my protein...its kinda low.

Last edited:
Awesome. I got bored tonight and went on a mini binge. This is what happens to me. I am bored and now I am frustrated with myself. I have a child and when no one is here I can't go for a walk to make the urge go away! Thanks for listening (reading :) )

Hey guys!

Thanks for posting that link BG! I made an account,

its pretty cool!

But i am worried at my protein...its kinda low.

Yeah, I think you definitely need to think about getting some more lean protein in, spaced throughout the day. Maybe eggwhites, or tuna or something (I'm vegetarian, so I don't know much about meat!)

Hi everyone! I was hoping that I could join you here. I just hit the "20 more pounds to lose" mark. The last 5 I lost were the hardest thus far. You guys are so full of support and help that I really wanted to jump in here.

I just wanted to start by saying Hello!!!

Awesome. I got bored tonight and went on a mini binge. This is what happens to me. I am bored and now I am frustrated with myself. I have a child and when no one is here I can't go for a walk to make the urge go away! Thanks for listening (reading :) )

No worries! Don't beat yourself up about it! I've given myself a short list of things to do when I hit those points: sudoku, knitting (alarmingly addictive), video games, and cleaning (useful too!!). I also try to drink water - sometimes just something going down is enough to satisfy that psychological urge when it's not actually time for a meal or snack!

BG - I know what that is like! :( I have a little sister and i end up watching her a lot now. One thing i read that might help you is, urges only stay for about 10 minuets, so try to occupy your self for about 10 minuets and (hopefully) they will go away!

Aeris - Thanks for the reply! I used to eat tuna ALL the time, but i haven’t had any for a while! Where do you get your protein from, since you are a vegetarian?

Steph -Welcome! Wow, you lost 42 pounds, Way to go!
Unfortunately, as you know, the last couple pounds are the hardest! :mad: What is your meal and exercise plan?

Aeris - Thanks for the reply! I used to eat tuna ALL the time, but i haven’t had any for a while! Where do you get your protein from, since you are a vegetarian?

I've actually never in my life had tuna - I was allergic to it as a kid, and then I went veggie. :D

I eat a ton of veggie protein things like Smart Menu lunches, or Smart Deli slices (Lightlife is an amazing brand). I also eat a lot of Seitan (wheat gluten) - it's sooooooooo good. All my meateater friends (including my Texan, steak eating dad, and latino pork chop adoring bf) think it's really good, and are suprise "weird veggie food tastes this good" !!! :D I almost never eat tofu, I don't really like the taste, have a slight allergy to it, and it's usually cooked poorly (plus it's not as high protein as other sources). I've also taken to eating eggwhite omelettes occasionally. And nonfat cottage cheese, yogurt, and slices (for sandwiches) ratchet up the daily intake.

I also make sure my bread/rice/pasta choices are whole grain, and they tend tend to have a higher protein level - also try to get in as much bean/legume action as I can, but that's harder for me.

Occasionally I'll have natural peanut butter, but I limit it because of the fat ratio. It's good fats mostly, but still, I can't eat it as my only protein source!!

I also 'cheat' a little - I use whey protein supplements to get my ratio closer to 40% daily.

Check out my fitday journal (link in signature) - you can see most everything I've been eating for a while now!

livlegacy629 - Thanks! My meal plan is: I eat from 5-6 times a day, between 1200 and 1700 calories depending on my exercise for the day (I usually calorie count). I drink between 3 and 4 liters of water per day. I do cardio at least 5 times a week from 45 minutes to 90 minutes at a time (I do the ellipcical, stair stepper and treadmill [if I do the treadmill I alternate inclines and speeds]) and do strength training 3 times a week (full body right now).

Back