Weight-Loss 10,000 Challenge!!!

Weight-Loss
check out - or one of the many other google map sites on the web.. they all have built in pedometers and if you use the hybrid view, generally if you walk off street - likein a park - park paths do show up

Hi

A reply that I posted to Bellaryna in my diary earlier today seems really appropriate to this conversation.

I have had 3 models of pedometers and the best one for me is the one that a friend got for me from Weight Watchers. She had one and recommended it and so I thought that I would give it a go.

I wear it on my waistband above the centre of my right knee. It seems to work best there.

I am quite fussy and am fairly comfortable that it works ok - although I walk such similar walks that I sort it out if a problem arises.

Generally I used the concepts of sanity, consistency and replication to confirm that it works ok.

Sanity

You measure a step length and key it in. It counts the steps and tells you how many miles you have done. You drive the same walk (e.g. 6.3 miles) and check the distance using the tripometer. It makes sense if it all agrees.

Consistency
So you have walked 6.3 miles on day 1. Make a note of start and end stepcount and distance.
Walk it again a few more times and compare the deduced walk stepcount and distance (i.e. end stepcount less start stepcount etc).
You cannot expect it to be identical - but it should be a reasonably similar number.

Replication

This demonstrates my eccentricity - but I admit to it anyway.
Dont feel that I am saying that you should do this.
Anyway I just happen to have a second WW pedometer.
I have been known to clip one above the centre of my left knee and compare deduced walk stepcounts. The last time that I did this there was only a difference of about 40 steps over 6.3 miles which I thought was pretty impressive when you pause to knock stones out of sandals and chat etc.

My husband had to get a pedometer that clips to a pocket. It seems to work ok - the only real flaw is that it is designed for exercise only so it doesnt count the first 4 seconds of any piece of walking activity. My husband doesnt like that aspect because he thinks that if you do the steps you should get the step credit for having done them.

The WW one is no good for him because he has a much bigger tummy than me (he is over 350 pounds). Basically if a roll of tummy (or boob for that matter) hangs over the pedometer it can suppress some of the steps so it gives you a low count. When I first got my pedometer I needed to start wearing a more supportive bra.

I get the step length by measuring a number of steps and dividing by the number to give an average.

I have noticed that my step length when out walking is different if I am wearing different shoes. I dont bother resetting it every time I change shoes but if one pair go out of favour - e.g. when I wore a huge hole in the sole of my favourite pair or at the change of season when different shoes became more appropriate then I reset it.

I am very definitely a creature of habit so most days at home have a fairly predictable approx stepcount.

Ill fitting pants are likely to be causing problems.

Pedometer reading:

Monday 03/12/2007 30,221 steps, 11.44 miles

===
Margaret

I hope that your foot is better Phoebe. You did so well getting to 10,000 steps consistently at the weekend.

Pedometer readings:

Tuesday 04/12/2007 29,051 steps, 11.00 miles

======

Margaret

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

woohooo i'm in

just started wearing a pedometer recently and haven't hit the 10000 mrk yet but i hope this will give me the motivation to do so.

take care

x

Tues 12/4, 8155

Oh, and I did a 3-mile walk this morning, which the pedometer measured at 3.25 miles. So it runs a bit over 8% long.

Hi Phoebe

It's a nuisance when they use a default steplength that differs from your stride like that. Still the main this is that it counts your steps and encourages you to get slightly nearer the magic number of 10,000.

Mine had a default length that I was able to over-ride by manually entering the data.

If you really want to know how many miles you have done - either use Mal's website recommendation or knock 8% off their suggested distance.

I know that I would not be nearly so step-conscious if I was not wearing a pedometer.

I hope if you are doing 3 mile walks that your foot is better. You had problems the other day.

I think that you have noticed how addictive walking with a pedometer is.

Take care
Love
Margaret

Hi Angel

Post your pedometer readings whether you hit 10,000 or not.
That way you will be aware of how it is going. You may find yourself hitting it more regularly than you expect. That seems to be the case with Phoebe.

It is certainly brilliant exercise.

Take care
Love
Margaret

I hope if you are doing 3 mile walks that your foot is better. You had problems the other day.

Oh, yes it is! Thank you for remembering. Having no client stuff today, I could wear good supportive shoes for my walk this morning.

Hi Phoebe

I am pleased to hear it.

I am a firm believer in good supportive shoes.

I think that when I was your age I went in more for dress shoes, but even then I seem to remember changing shoes as I got to work. There is much to be said for making your feet as comfortable as possible.

Take care
Love
Margaret

Phoebe - you have managed it again.
Angel - you are getting there.

Well done - both of you! :hurray:

Pedometer readings:

Wednesday 05/12/2007 27,742 steps, 10.50 miles

======

Margaret

Fri 12/7 - 3,711. Today will be good, tomorrow I'll be in the car from 5am to 7pm, so will be lucky to top 1,000. Monday will be good.

You are both doing great.

You become so much more aware of whether you do much walking when you wear a pedometer.

Pedometer reading:

Friday 07/12/2007 27,596 steps, 10.45 miles

======

Margaret

Day 10

DAY 10 - 8 dec 07

5340 steps

NOT bad but NOT good enuff eder!!!!

x

Back