Liza

Probably the combination, as you said. Just too much with not enough rest.

I tell myself that slightly slower digested carbs are a better choice for my body even if the calorie amount is the same.
Yes I tell myself the same thing--i feel like the added protein with the peanut butter is also a good touch, easing myself away from the sweets.

My back hurt again yesterday :( So yeah definitely overdid it the other day. It went better as the day went on but it is still stiff this morning. Hopefully lesson learned in continuing to take things slow. I do have a bike ride planned for this morning, but I would do it like I did last week with lots of breaks.

Official weigh in today-140

Besides the back pain yesterday, the day was good. Ate well, and picked up some yogurt and berries yesterday when i stopped by the grocery store. That is always a nice healthy alternative for when I'm craving sugar. I had some last night and it felt like such a treat.

I'm also back to trying to make my evenings more intentional about how I'm spending that time. Last night went well. No tv. Instead I played piano, did the dishes, wrote emails, listened to a buddhist talk...

essentrics-20
walk-45
didn't record calories.
back pain continued.

Ate well, and picked up some yogurt and berries yesterday when i stopped by the grocery store. That is always a nice healthy alternative for when I'm craving sugar. I had some last night and it felt like such a treat.
That's how I feel about watermelon. So glad that's back in season in my grocery store!
Your evening sounds lovely.

Sorry about the back pain but I guess the lesson is not to overdo it! I'm sure it will settle down again soon.

Nice work on having such a lovely evening and doing the things that you feel bring the most benefit to your life.

I'm always inclined to overdo things & have to learn the hard way. I hope that pain goes away with you being careful. It sounds like a lovely, peaceful but intentional evening, Liza :)

That's how I feel about watermelon. So glad that's back in season in my grocery store!
Your evening sounds lovely.
oh yes watermelon is delicious!
Sorry about the back pain but I guess the lesson is not to overdo it! I'm sure it will settle down again soon.

Nice work on having such a lovely evening and doing the things that you feel bring the most benefit to your life.
Thanks! Yes happily the back pain settled down though it still feels stiff this morning. It's definitely a good reminder to keep the flexibility exercises up.

I'm always inclined to overdo things & have to learn the hard way. I hope that pain goes away with you being careful. It sounds like a lovely, peaceful but intentional evening, Liza :)
I guess we have to overdo it sometimes to learn what overdoing is for us currently...that sounds muddled but yeah--that is how we learn I guess!

Yesterday was so nice. I did a nice relaxed session of the essentrics. I think I am going to get back to doing that more regularly again. She just seems to target all the areas that need a lot of attention for me.

Took my bike out on a similar route to last week--up the hills to the lovely country roads. It went really well--I could already see that I had gained a lot of biking strength just between last week's ride and this one. So hopefully that will keep on building. I was very glad to see that the hills didn't seen to strain my back at all. So that is interesting to me that it does seem to be more the running that can trigger that.
I did order some new running shoes the other day which are really long overdue--my current ones have been worn out for ages.

I cycled out to those lovely public gardens--that's kind of a perfect ride for me right now. A bit of challenge with the hills, followed by some nice flat stretches, nice break at the gardens and then the return trip being much easier as it has more downhill then.

I spent about an hour and a half at the gardens. It is at such a beautiful stage right now. The smells were incredible as were the sounds. It is such a naturally meditative space.

Got back and made a very hearty and filling meal, had a short nap and then connected with the family online. Then got laundry and dishes done. No piano as I was really ready for an early night. I didn't record calories, but I really stayed focussed on high protein, and only ate a minimal amount of chocolate.

Essentrics-30
bike-1 hour
walk-1 hour (?)
back pain much better.

I guess we have to overdo it sometimes to learn what overdoing is for us currently...that sounds muddled but yeah--that is how we learn I guess!
Not muddled at all: you need enough load/stress to promote positive change - or at least maintain what you have - without overdoing it. Especially if you have injuries the line between the two can be narrow and hard to keep your balance on. Then when you're improving your physical condition the line may move up but not grow wider. Knowing your body well makes the line more visible, which helps, but sometimes outside forces still push you off-balance.
Ok: that may have only made things more muddled :D

The garden joy and biking strength sound great and I may need to look up essentrics!

Your bike ride sounds lovely, Liza. I'm really glad that is working out for you! It sounds like you had an excellent weekend :)

Not muddled at all: you need enough load/stress to promote positive change - or at least maintain what you have - without overdoing it. Especially if you have injuries the line between the two can be narrow and hard to keep your balance on. Then when you're improving your physical condition the line may move up but not grow wider. Knowing your body well makes the line more visible, which helps, but sometimes outside forces still push you off-balance.
haha yes that's what I was trying to say!

Your bike ride sounds lovely, Liza. I'm really glad that is working out for you! It sounds like you had an excellent weekend :)
I'm still keeping my eye open for new-to-me bikes that might be an even better fit...and considering a brand new one if I can't find one used. But yes, so happy that this bike continues to work well for me in the meantime and that it really doesn't seem to be the issue for my back--a relief!

Yesterday was ok. Didn't track calories but very sure I would have been well over maintenance. Too many sweets and too much of regular food as well. My anxiety was up in the evening which had me eating extra food to cope. Not beating myself up over it though.

Besides that, the day was pretty good. Got a bit of gardening done and my back continues to improve.

stretch and strength-1 hour
garden-1 hour
walk-45 min

I'm still keeping my eye open for new-to-me bikes that might be an even better fit...and considering a brand new one if I can't find one used.
I would ask the guy at the bike shop to keep an eye out for you. I'm sure people would get the newest, latest bike when their "old" one is almost perfect.
But yes, so happy that this bike continues to work well for me in the meantime and that it really doesn't seem to be the issue for my back--a relief!
It's wonderful to read this :)

Your garden sounds so fun to work in and plan for! I had a similar problem in CA with my garden being next to the barn with my barn cats. I had to put sticks between plants in newly dug areas so the cats wouldn't dig in it because they always found a way around the garden fence. I know what you and Llama are saying about injury really throwing off how much you can do and changing things in unpredicable ways. I've been feeling similar frustrations with my shoulder. But it's lovely that your bike riding doesn't hurt your back if you are careful. I'm glad the chocolate ran out and that you could switch to berries. They are my go-to also. I hope the anxiety has passed and that you are having a good day.

Sorry to hear anxiety was rough today :grouphug:
Thanks llama--it really is never any fun.
I would ask the guy at the bike shop to keep an eye out for you. I'm sure people would get the newest, latest bike when their "old" one is almost perfect.

It's wonderful to read this :)
I'll talk to the bike shop, but really I don't see too many people around here seeming to just get the latest bike. There are a few people selling off their old ones when they switch to an e-bike, but not really too much on the second hand market...the other problem is, I have just realized when looking at the second hand ones, is that I seem to be much shorter than most people. (i never really realized that before haha) I very rarely see a bike that would be my proper fit! So I may need to go for a new one. I've picked out a couple that I like the look of and hope to go down to the shop one day and discuss options with them.

Your garden sounds so fun to work in and plan for! I had a similar problem in CA with my garden being next to the barn with my barn cats. I had to put sticks between plants in newly dug areas so the cats wouldn't dig in it because they always found a way around the garden fence.
Thanks Marsia--the garden really is such a joy. There is always some sort of battle in a garden isn't there? Whether it be slugs, or deer, or cats...but yeah I just really do feel lucky I have this garden space. It's a dream come true!
This is the way.
yes no point in beating ourselves up is there?

OK so yesterday was pretty good, though I already can't remember much of it--oh yeah I went to my knitting group! It's funny I can't be bothered to pick up my crocheting at all in between and i couldn't even remember what I had been working on as it had been a couple of weeks since I was last there. Pretty sure it was a mouse though...i really just go to the group to socialize, but it is nice motivation to crochet as well. They are a lovely bunch.

I think I mostly ate well and the day overall was positive, but I was exhausted by the evening and was so glad when it was a decent enough hour to go to bed.

Slept well and then today was good. I didn't get time to write here this morning with trying to fit in my strength and stretch session in as well as a run, and yes the garden asked me in to play for just a little while...so I thought maybe it will make more sense to write here in the evenings anyway since the mornings and afternoons are often busy and my evenings I am usually happy to just sit around on the couch which is what I am doing now :)

I felt really good about my run this morning. I have switched to a different running schedule that slowly builds up to 10km. Still a walk-run
schedule, but I just like the layout better. I went over the amount I was supposed to do as I got caught up in the joy of it and ended up doing a loop through Old Friends Trail and didn't feel like walking the whole way back home after that so just continued with the walk-run.
Very glad to report that there was no back pain.

stretch and strength-1 hour
walk-run :1-3 x12 no back pain
extra walk time-45 min
protein-81%
carbs-111%
calorie deficit--so far about 400 but pretty sure i'll be eating more tonight.

Another lovely day. Great to hear your back didn't hurt after the extra running: sometimes it seems random why things cause pain one day but not the next.

It's wonderful you are able to do so much with no back pain again. It's so lovely to hear that you get swept up in the joy of running. Are you thinking of upgrading to another bike so you can get up the hills better?

Another lovely day. Great to hear your back didn't hurt after the extra running: sometimes it seems random why things cause pain one day but not the next.
Yes it does seem random at times...though I do know that often if I am stressed it will definitely make the pain more likely--so I know that other day when I did about the same amount, I felt stressed as I wasn't sure I really had time for everything. This time was better as I did things in a much more relaxed way. But yes, the experiment goes on!
What a wonderful day!
Thanks Cate. It was!
It's wonderful you are able to do so much with no back pain again. It's so lovely to hear that you get swept up in the joy of running. Are you thinking of upgrading to another bike so you can get up the hills better?
With the upgrade for the bike, it's mostly because I still think that technically this bike frame is too big for me and I am still concerned about my reach on it and whether it is aggravating the back issue. But the other thing is, is at some point this bike could use work, and a new saddle. So if I invested what I would need to into fixing this bike up it would cost me at least a couple of hundred. And then the frame still wouldn't be quite right for me. It's a great bike for now and was great for giving me a cheap go at cycling, but now that I see that I do really love it and want to continue with it, I would like to get a bike that fits properly. I don't really think a different bike will make it easier for me on the hills though. I see lots of people struggling up them, so they are just tough hills. Who knows though, maybe it will help...

Not much to add from yesterday...didn't have too much extra too eat in the evening--just some yogurt and berries so the deficit stayed decent at 300 for the day.

No big plans for this morning, so maybe will get my crocheting out for a bit, before doing my essentrics video and then maybe a bit of gardening...or maybe a good morning to head to the bike shop...or the garden shop...i'll figure something out...

I do know that often if I am stressed it will definitely make the pain more likely
That makes total sense: stress tends to increase our general muscle tone and decrease coordination.
It's a great bike for now and was great for giving me a cheap go at cycling, but now that I see that I do really love it and want to continue with it, I would like to get a bike that fits properly.
If you can afford it that's absolutely the way to go. If you keep tinkering with the original without ever starting fresh you end up with something like the human body: always good enough to get by but full of holdovers from the past that mean you can't fix a lot of issues without causing new ones.

300 is a good deficit, Liza. What is your calorie goal for the day before exercise? I have mine set at 1370 at the moment.
I hope you do get a new bike. I love that you love riding & that you are running again too. Your mood has been lifted. I love Spring. Your plan for the day sounds relaxing.

I think I am doing something similar with trying to hurry through the day and stressing myself out. I'm glad you realized what it was that got you tense. Sorry, I forgot about the bike frame being too big. That makes total sense. Hope you had a good morning out and about or in your garden!

Back