Liza

That sounds like a good day, Liza, especially the 2-hour walk with your friend. We still have some Christmas treats, but I tucked most of them away into a bucket in the pantry, where they lose their voice. I have been concentrating on drinking more water too, but my logging petered out yesterday. I'll start in earnest on the 1st of January.

Water is life! Glad to hear you made it outside and feel better for it. Moderation with sweets really should be the goal but ugh it can be so hard!
yes moderation is tough especially since it seems to take so little with sweets to put me over calorie goals. Like it doesn't look like much to me at all but when I log it in, it always really adds up! But I am happy that I have been able to not just gobble all of it down at once. Yesterday I had pie while I was out and I was hoping to skip having any sweets at home which would have kept me in a deficit, but I caved again and had some right before bed time...oh well, will keep trying!
That sounds like a good day, Liza, especially the 2-hour walk with your friend
Yes I always like being able to get some good walking time in with friends. I mostly go on my own and i do enjoy that too but nice to connect with people amongst the trees :)

Well yesterday's run went much better than Monday's run. Still challenging but I glimpsed the joy of it a few times and my gut was certainly much better as was my foot...my muscles still felt like they were working extra hard, but it was easier...Saturday or Sunday should be my long run day so that will be interesting to see how that goes...

I did go grocery shopping yesterday too and stocked up on some good healthy options and some changes from what I usually eat. Got nice mixed greens and ingredients for wraps...I'm getting bored of my usual meals so I need to definitely do more planning around that. The wraps were a really nice change. Maybe I will try to think of one new meal each week to add in to add some variety.

Did my calorie counting and was about 100 calories over maintenance...hopefully can slowly get back to healthier eating and more activity and get back to some deficits! I mentioned in Cate's diary that I am up a couple of pounds over the holidays so would like to see that come off sooner rather than later!

If you have a stash of cookbooks or a favorite cooking channel finding one new recipe every week can be good fun! My nephew gave me a collection of high-protein (mostly) vegetarian recipes and I'm looking forward to testing my way through the book.

I'm glad you glimpsed the joy of running again, Liza. You'll get that back when it becomes easier. Wraps are a good way of getting lots of healthy ingredients into a small amount of bread.

If you have a stash of cookbooks or a favorite cooking channel finding one new recipe every week can be good fun! My nephew gave me a collection of high-protein (mostly) vegetarian recipes and I'm looking forward to testing my way through the book.
Good idea!--I know I have one vegan cookbook around here that I like so that's a good idea to just pick a recipe each week from there. I like the idea of making cooking fun and interesting at least once a week--putting on some good music, maybe getting a fancy drink to drink while I'm cooking...maybe it'll improve my relationship with cooking overall instead of it just being a chore....
Wraps are a good way of getting lots of healthy ingredients into a small amount of bread.
Yes they really are a nice idea...tasty, easy and healthy!

Was over my maintenance amount again yesterday by around 200 calories..I'm not beating myself up about it though. Once the treats are gone from my place it will be easier to get back to deficits and for now if I can just stick to calorie counting and awareness around including lots of healthy food choices and some good exercise, I am happy with that. Would rather see some deficits and see myself able to resist the sweets when I choose, but so far that's a no go.

Yesterday was pretty good--did my stretch and strength session and got some walking in. Not a whole lot as I spent a bunch of time doing some post-christmas de-cluttering! Time well spent I think!

200 calories over maintenance when you're eating sweets is not a lot. Looks like you'll be starting the new year very well.

Would rather see some deficits and see myself able to resist the sweets when I choose, but so far that's a no go.
Yeah, in an ideal world, I would love to be able to buy a packet of biscuits, have one or two and just forget about them, but it never happens really. I just keep going. And the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result so I no longer buy biscuits or anything over 100 g of chocolate/sweets in general. :)

200 calories over maintenance when you're eating sweets is not a lot. Looks like you'll be starting the new year very well.
Thanks Llama! yeah it doesn't take many sweets to put me over my maintenance amount! Seems if I stick to the ones when I'm out I can often make it, but if I have them at home as well, it's just too many.
Yeah, in an ideal world, I would love to be able to buy a packet of biscuits, have one or two and just forget about them, but it never happens really. I just keep going. And the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result so I no longer buy biscuits or anything over 100 g of chocolate/sweets in general. :)
Yeah I don't buy sweets either...well actually i usually buy some dark chocolate for home that I can go easy on. These cookies were a gift so that's why I have them here, but I have been doing well to just have a couple at a time...but it still puts me over maintenance amount...oh well they'll be gone soon enough!
It sounds like a productive day, Liza. De-cluttering any time is a really good idea.
Yes I'm going to try and make the de-cluttering a weekly thing. It always feels so good!

OK still Dec 31 for me, but Happy New Years all the same...Today is official weigh in day for me too so it will be good to have all my stats in to see how I'm starting the year...

Weight 141 (yay lost those extra couple of pounds I thought I'd gained--must have been water weight)
Fat percentage-27% (up by 1 percent--last time I checked that was dec 3rd and was at 26%)

I'm not into New Year's resolutions or anything but will set some intentions for the year:
  • keep up with the running at about current levels and goals
  • increase strength training and slowly work towards chinups
  • keep tracking calories/nutrition (and keep up with protein amounts especially)
  • more than a weight goal I would really like to see body fat percentage in the 21-24% range (apparently the fitness level)
  • feel the love and gratitude for my body and all it offers me
  • practice joy of cooking!
Will be heading out on a long run this morning...we'll see how it goes. My knee's been hurting a bit this week and those last runs were challenging so I won't push things too hard, but will try and take it easy and see how far I get.

Happy New Year everyone!

Hey Liza, looks like you are doing well.
Weight 141 (yay lost those extra couple of pounds I thought I'd gained--must have been water weight)
Down is good!
I'm not into New Year's resolutions or anything but will set some intentions for the year:
Good for you, I don't do New Year's resolutions, not a good track record on that...
Happy New Year everyone!
Same back to you!

Happy New Year, Liza. I love your intentions. Resolutions are almost doomed to failure before they start. I'm glad that Christmas gain was only water. Hope you have a wonderful run :)

Thanks @Llama , @Emilyrose , @Cate and @alligatorob !! :grouphug:

I feel happy that I'm not feeling the need to make any big changes to how I'm doing things. Coming back to this forum this year has really helped me getting back on a healthy track and I'm grateful for all the support you all have given me!

Yesterday's run was awesome. Back to the JOY!!!
I was really procrastinating on getting out for it. Those last runs were pretty discouraging and not something I was looking forward to repeating. I was so happy when after the first mile I could really feel the joy coming on. Someone on my route stopped me to say Happy New Year and told me he always sees me out there running. I love all the people that have become what I feel is my cheering squad!

I do really need to find a space where I can practice hanging to lead up to my hopeful eventual chin ups...I was looking around on my running route yesterday but couldn't see anywhere. I was hoping to find some monkey bars or a tree that with a branch that looks like it could hold my weight at the right height...I do know of somewhere that I could go on my non-running days so I might try and work that in even just once a week or something...I was just hoping to fit in some hanging at the end of my runs...we'll see..I'll keep looking. I would really love to set something up at my place...maybe I'll see what options there are for that.

I ate at about maintenance again yesterday. So looks like that's going to my bigger challenge--getting back into deficits...

Around here you can find any outdoor exercise equipment online, even if it isn't part of a larger set-up. How wonderful that you found the joy of running again!

Yesterday's run was awesome. Back to the JOY!!!
YAY!!!
Someone on my route stopped me to say Happy New Year and told me he always sees me out there running. I love all the people that have become what I feel is my cheering squad!
That's sweet!
I do really need to find a space where I can practice hanging to lead up to my hopeful eventual chin ups...
Maybe do a walk just with the intention of finding something suitable. I bet there's something close by.

Around here you can find any outdoor exercise equipment online, even if it isn't part of a larger set-up. How wonderful that you found the joy of running again!
Yes lots of stuff available online...not so cheap though and I'm just not sure that I want to pay out for something that might just be a short interest..so I guess I'll put that off for now and see if it develops into something that is worth investing in...
Maybe do a walk just with the intention of finding something suitable. I bet there's something close by.
I did do just that after I posted here Cate! :) There is a bar I can use at a park about a 10 minute walk away...it feels like a bit of a drag to have to go there instead of just doing all my strengthening stuff at home, but really adding in 20 mins of walking on my strength training days is probably a positive...and it's all free this way!

So yeah yesterday began my official start to working towards achieving a chin up! I hadn't looked up specific instructions of what to do/how best to hang from the bar to build up toward the chin up, but I just hung on it for a while, and then I sort of jumped myself into some chin ups...I think I will have fun playing with this. When I got home I looked up more specific instructions about how to hold your body as you hang to build up that specific type of strength, so I will implement those techniques next time.

I can feel my muscles got some excellent work done yesterday.

I also made some really nice food yesterday...not a new recipe, but one that I hadn't done in a while. So lots of healthy eating and good movement. Mood feeling really good and positive too. I think my energy was really going down over christmas with all the sitting around and eating junk...so feeling more back to a stronger, more energetic version of myself :)

And finally got a deficit yesterday--233! Good!

Yes lots of stuff available online...not so cheap though
I meant the freely accessible stuff but I see you found just that at the park anyway.
then I sort of jumped myself into some chin ups.
Careful with your back if you swing up instead of doing it in a more controlled fashion.

Yay for returning to delicious recipes and getting your energy back!

That sounds like a wonderful, energising day. Excellent! :)

Back