Skurgeon’s Diary

had a great Christmas. Didn’t restrict myself at all. I was 212 pounds when I woke up Christmas Eve and this morning on Boxing Day I was 222.8.

So I gained 10.8 pounds in 2 days! My body is crazy! Lol.

Back to regular life. Let’s see how long it takes to get back to 212 whiteout doing anything drastic. Just back to my old routine.

I'm going to guess that ~8 pounds are water weight. It'll be interesting to see how quick you drop those again. How did your body react to the rich food and drink after your relative abstinence?

My body is capable of doing that too. It should go with a whoosh in the next week. Glad you had a great Christmas :)

I'm going to guess that ~8 pounds are water weight. It'll be interesting to see how quick you drop those again. How did your body react to the rich food and drink after your relative abstinence?

Didn’t have any out of character drinks. Nothing strange happened with the food other than not feeling satisfied even thou physically my stomach felt full. Pretty interesting how you just want to keep eating certain foods just for the pleasure of eating them. Where as other foods I still love and taste good but when I’m done my portion I feel content.

Had my first workout this afternoon after a couple of days off and all that extra food and added 10 pounds. I felt so strong. Well fed and well rested equals PR crushing lifts. Worked on my chest and triceps. My regular heaviest weights I would lift felt easy. It’s a pretty crazy feeling when your muscles respond so much to training that the winter coat I wore into the gym was now tight on my swollen arms leaving the gym.

So the next day after being back on my routine I woke up having gained exactly 3 more pounds. So I was 225.8 now on the 27th. These 3 pounds are baffling but I just thought “it doesn’t matter”

I continued doing my regular thing and this morning, which is 72 hours from that 225.8, I weighed 6 pounds less and I’m 219.8 now.

7.8 more till I’m back at 212. I won’t do anything out of the ordinary, I’m just so interested to see how long until those 2 days off plan are erased. Jan 2nd will be the 1 week mark and I assumed that all if not most would have been shed by that time. We shall see!

I'm glad you took it in your stride. When you know that it will go it's not quite so daunting. I didn't really eat much on Christmas day or the day before as I had only been back in a weight-loss mode for a month & I was too scared I would fall off the wagon again. You, on the other hand, are well & truly in the groove.

I'm glad you took it in your stride. When you know that it will go it's not quite so daunting. I didn't really eat much on Christmas day or the day before as I had only been back in a weight-loss mode for a month & I was too scared I would fall off the wagon again. You, on the other hand, are well & truly in the groove.

I also went with logic. 13.8 pounds of fat would require an excess of 48,000 calories! I definitely did not eat an extra 48,000 calories!

I think this pandemic is driving everyone crazy. One day we will look back on it. Meanwhile, we can just try to be as healthy & as sane as we can be, with the limitations we have. Things will get better, Skurgeon.

As a single guy living alone I don’t know what to do. Without that 90 minutes a day to blow off some physical steam where do I focus that energy? It’s probably worse for my mental health than my physical health.

Can you organise zoom exercises with some friends or family? I know LaMa does that. Is it too cold to walk outside? I need to walk every day for my sanity. I'm sure this pandemic is doing more harm to our mental health than anything I have encountered before. Are you engaging with your friends by phone? I think it's even more important to do that now than it ever was.

It’s minus 11 now and everything is frozen snow where you can’t really walk because it’s not flat unless you waddle like a penguin or you can walk in the street where it’s been plowed. I was already walking 10k plus steps per day on top of the gym. How do I replace something like doing 800 pounds on a leg press or 300 pounds on a hack squat? chest press? I can do push ups and squats but it’s not enough weight.

for example I’ll put a 90 pound dumbbell in each hand and do a chest press and then after that do 20 push-ups immediately afterwards. And that’s 1 set… but I’ll do that variation 12 times. So that’s 240 push-ups after each chest exercise.

I can do a lot of things at home but they’re not replacements for what I do in the gym. They’re okay for 2 or 3 days as a “This will have to do for now “ kind of thing but if the gym will be shut down for a month at least.

If it was summer I’d be on my bike doing cardio.

Being home all day during our first lockdown drove me up the wall. I did half an hour of Zoom exercise ~4x/day and paced my apartment or danced in between and still felt like I was sitting down too much. Being away from the gym for a month absolutely sucks but doing bodyweight exercises will still help to keep you sane even if they don't provide the same training stimulus for your muscles.

LaMa is right in that at least the bodyweight exercises will help the mental aspect. For a small investment, you can get some good sized bands that work well for some exercise replacements, I have a set of medium strength bands rated at 60 kg (132 lb) as part of my gym setup and a single one of these bands works ok for a light bench press or floor press. I would not expect most people to have the space I have for a full gym setup, but the bands do add a really good number of options.

It took till today to lose the almost 14 pounds I gained over Christmas Eve and Day. (12 days). Not bad at all.

Back