Made the decision...

I am going to run the Long Island Marathon this coming May.

I am going to need tips, tricks and a lot of support for this...

The race is 6 months away, should be plenty of time to get into decent marathon shape right?

Congratulations!!! That's awesome news!

I'm not an endurance athlete, therefore, since I cannot give you any tips, my support will have to suffice ;)

check your local running store for clinics that are starting... There are probably others that will be training together for the same marathon! You can get great support from joining one of these groups! otherwise there are a lot of marathon training plans available. Good luck.

yeah there are a lot of running clubs around...LIRRC, NYRRC, Runners Edge (the store I purchase running gear from)...I could go on. Hopefully I'll get some advice from our endurance people on here too (flyinfree, tsi, sparrow, ect) in regards to best training plan, how to eat, how to hydrate, and obviously how to stay healthy and avoid injuries. :)

I know he basic mantra...start low and build up mileage as you move closer. The toughest part will be competing with the weather and avoiding death by car...

The race is 6 months away, should be plenty of time to get into decent marathon shape right?

Sweet! My evil plan to turn this site into an endurance athlete forum is working. Bwwwaaahahahhhaaha!

Let us know what we can do.

Sweet! My evil plan to turn this site into an endurance athlete forum is working. Bwwwaaahahahhhaaha!

Haha, good plan. :)

I will certainly let you know if I need help.

I do have a question though...as I get into training and start doing my long runs, is Gu worth it for the price? If I was to use something like a childs fruit snack, would it be just as effective?

tsil, it was just a matter of time before you endurance athletes started taking over the forum :D

If the truth be known, I can't run far enough to catch any of you ... :cheeky:

I'll volunteer to run slow! You know, to make YOU feel better and you'll have someone to catch!

GT, that'd kill two birds with one stone ... or something like that :D

Back to the task at hand: all you marathon/endurance people need to step up to the plate and give firefreak solid advice to set him up for success :)

April isn't that far away ...

Haha, good plan. :)

I will certainly let you know if I need help.

I do have a question though...as I get into training and start doing my long runs, is Gu worth it for the price? If I was to use something like a childs fruit snack, would it be just as effective?

I don't use fancy stuff when I'm training. I just buy granola bars or various other bars at Trader Joe's and Costco. Costco sells big boxes of several kinds of granola bars that work well.

Oh c'mon, we can turn you into a runner. I hear there's a marathon in May...

I thought the marathon was in April ... :D

Can't do it in May ... far too many birthdays in the family during May :)

Unfortunately, I can't run anymore. My knee is too FUBAR. At best, I could do a triathlon, but I'd have to do it as a team :(

Last edited:

umm. me think he says May....

Post what you learned though, I want to get more into running as well but kinda scared.

the race is in may :) first weekend actually.

i'm gonna need some ways to strengthen my calves...they are my week point. I had to cut my run short today because my left calf hurt too much. ive had a history of injuries in the last few years with my calves...i can do plenty of calf extensions w/o pain and can jump rope w/o an issue but running seems to piss off my calves big time. its very dependent on my running form and how i land on my feet...

Yeah, I know the marathon is in May. Nobody seems to have a sense of humor around here :(

Awww... turn that frown upside down. :)

Back