Working it out with the wife

Sometimes she wants to quit, sometimes she doesn't. I would like to see her quit and will support her when she tries. I don't know what it's like 'cuz I've never smoked. I am hoping that her new fitness quest may lead her to quit. She mentioned today that a lady she works with and she are going to start taking walking breaks instead of smoking breaks. She also mentioned today she would like a treadmill (since i have my workout machine, stationary bike, road bike and mountain bike, hehehe).

Anyway, she rode the bike for 10 minutes this morning. I jumped on my road bike and road for 50 minutes, 13.4 miles at 15.9 MPH pace. I threw in one moderate sloped, 1/2 mile hill for good measure.

Diet is going well for both of us. A little closer to our goals each day!

Wife and I walked the dogs tonight, about 1 1/2 miles. My shins really got to hurting, strange, shin splints from walking? We jogged a little and they actually felt better while jogging. It would have been a nice change of pace except the shin pain ruined that. Back on the road bike tomorrow provided the winds are not 30 mph.

Could the pain in my shins have been partially a result of my last 2 days of bike riding after a month or so of inactivity? You know, mild overuse or something like that? Shins feel fine now a few hours after walking.

Congratz on getting the wife involved.

Hopefulyl with a lot of hard work and practice from you both you can get that cardio session up from 15 seconds to a good 30 :rofl:

Thanks Snewsome. Ya know, you gotta have goals and that's a hefty one but I'm all up for it.

Thanks g8r, I wasn't sure. Guess it must be from the walking. Take care, Greg

Update on the job situation. I had 2 interviews at the VA medical center last week. One for each of the 2 dietitian positions they have open.

The 1st one was really weird, it was what they call a "performance based interview". Basically they ask you predetermined questions and you answer them. It was STRANGE!!! I felt uncomfortable 1st because it was a phone interview and second because I had never had an interview like that before. Thinking back on it, I answered the questions pretty well and feel I did OK overall.

The 2nd interview was in person and was the same type of interview. I was much more comfortable in this situation. Like I said, it was an in-person interview and I had already had a similar interview experience earlier in the week. It went really smoothly and I felt really good when I left.

Finally, I had a co-worker call me Thursday and say someone from the VA called him about a reference. So, sounds good to me. I don't think they would start checking references if they weren't at least a little interested. I'll update as more info. comes my way.

Update on the job situation. I had 2 interviews at the VA medical center last week. One for each of the 2 dietitian positions they have open.

Finally, I had a co-worker call me Thursday and say someone from the VA called him about a reference. So, sounds good to me. I don't think they would start checking references if they weren't at least a little interested. I'll update as more info. comes my way.

Congrats on getting your wife to start working out with you and the job prospects! I workout with my husband, and it took a bit before we got it to work....lol

I can be a real hard head....ehem, but so can he, so we butted head numerous times till we finally found common ground. Now it is enjoyable :D

cheers,
Diane

JOB UPDATE: I called the VA in Muskogee today. Provided the background check and physical go well I will be offered the job. So, it looks like it's just a waiting game now. I'm very excited as the atmosphere at my current job is getting ridiculous. Anyway, this news has really put me in a good mood.

My wife is gone all week to a conference in Atlanta. I took her to the airport at 11am today and will pick her up Friday afternoon. Since she is gone I should be more able/willing to make time to workout. I am planning on riding the bike for about 1/2 hour this evening and progressing throughout the week. Hopefully I can get in the swing of things while she is away and continue once she is home. The weather is finally getting warm so I can ride outside more often.

That's it for now. I will post after I ride tonight. Take care, Greg

No ride last night. I rode for 30 minutes this morning on the recumbent bike. The weather is supposed to be really nice today. I am planning on jumping on the road bike for about 10 miles tonight. Will post later.

My wife is gone all week to a conference in Atlanta. I took her to the airport at 11am today and will pick her up Friday afternoon. Since she is gone I should be more able/willing to make time to workout.

yeah I always seem to be able to be more focused and centered on workouts and diet when my hubby is out of town. Course I don't have his backstop with the kids to be able to workout outside, so its all GYM work :( blah

Congrats on the job and thats really great about your wife's progress!

Thanks g8r and Sparrow.

I ate really clean yesterday. I haven't made it on the road bike yet. Too many things to do with the wife out of town. However, I did get up again this morning and ride the recumbent bike for another 30 minutes. One step at a time!

Thanks FF. I just hit a bump in the road. I'm really looking forward to my new job and I think the reduced stress will only lead to me being more successful in my fitness goals.

I rode the bike for 30 minutes this morning. Plan on doing the same tomorrow. Take care, Greg

blah, blah, blah...another 30 minutes this morning on the bike. Legs were a little shot when i turned up the resistance. A day off soon will make it all good. I'll take Friday off (maybe, hehehe) and plan a morning road bike ride Saturday.

Damn, has it really been over a week?

Not much going on. I've been biking a bit. My step sons friend tracked me down at the car wash Friday 'cuz he wanted someone to ride with. Now, that's pretty cool. He's 22 and in damn good shape. I'm 39 and not near in the shape I can or should be in. We rode mtn. bikes about 7 miles or so. Huge headwind on the last 1.5 mile stretch. It's pretty sad when you gotta rely on a 22 year old for motivation but i'll take it. It keeps me on my toes and makes me realize what a poor state of physical fitness my entire small, small town is in.

Has anyone here ever tried to arrange some type of "physical fitness" day for a small community? What I'm thinking is something to "draw out" all those that are interested in physical fitness. Maybe a way to make new aquaintances for physical fitness? People to contact to ride with, lift with, run with, walk with etc? Maybe schedule a community wide fitness activity once a week that we can all attend? A little weekly motivation where you'd be more motivated to workout during the offtime between "official activities". Thoughts,.....please, THOUGHTS!!!!

JEEZ, I GOT FIRED!!! Yep, that's right, they fired me, hehehe. I completed my application for the VA medical center, they sent out reference letters and sent one to my current employer (until this am). My boss calls me this morning to meet him and tells me it's done. So, basically it's over until I start my new job at the VA, hopefully on the 16th.

The weird thing is, I told they could contact my employer once a job offer had been made. I guess they thought they had already done this. I talked to the lady in HR at my current employer (was) and she said "Oh, i got a reference letter Friday and filled it out and returned it with good marks". Sounds kind of fishy doesn't it?

Oh well, I've got quite a bit to do until I start my new job. I will go ahead and file for unemployment since they didn't stand by what they said they were going to do. All it can do is help out.

Anyway, that's it for now. Plenty of time to train, ride bikes etc. Talk to ya later, Greg

As for your phisical fitness day - my small town started having exercise night at the community center. It is pretty much just a woman's group that gets together and everyone brings workout videos. They do 1 or 2 that night and swap videos between each other. There is a sign posted in the post office and gas station.

I know you are into more than just a workout video, but you could post some signs at your local watering hole for a bike night and draw up maps for beginners and experienced riders.

JEEZ, I GOT FIRED!!! Yep, that's right, they fired me, hehehe. I completed my application for the VA medical center, they sent out reference letters and sent one to my current employer (until this am). My boss calls me this morning to meet him and tells me it's done. So, basically it's over until I start my new job at the VA, hopefully on the 16th.

The weird thing is, I told they could contact my employer once a job offer had been made. I guess they thought they had already done this. I talked to the lady in HR at my current employer (was) and she said "Oh, i got a reference letter Friday and filled it out and returned it with good marks". Sounds kind of fishy doesn't it?

Oh well, I've got quite a bit to do until I start my new job. I will go ahead and file for unemployment since they didn't stand by what they said they were going to do. All it can do is help out.

Anyway, that's it for now. Plenty of time to train, ride bikes etc. Talk to ya later, Greg

Wow, that's unbelievably unreasonable to fire you because you applied for a new job. That's gonna backfire on those shumucks. Other employees are gonna see that if you apply for a new job you'll get fired and be much more secretive and want to get the heck out of Dodge.

I have been an employer and I never begrudged someone for moving on. After all, everyone that I hired came from somewhere else.

JOB UPDATE: I talked to the lady at the VA yesterday and told her what happened. She was appalled and said she had my folder sitting right there and would get everything finished up. Today it should get approved so I'm assuming I'll be to work by Monday or a week from Monday. Maybe they'll call me for my drug test before the end of the week.

I'm off to Tulsa for a few days to see my folks. I'm taking my mtn. bike with me. There are quite a few places for my son and I to ride. There are gyms everywhere etc. Another opportunity to get my fitness quest jumpstarted.

Talk to you all later, Greg

Back