What do you believe in?

• evolution

Votes: 43 61.4%
  • creation

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • not sure

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
Ok its a rainy day and i thought this could make things a little more interesting.

What are your thoughts and reasons. I already know some on here such as evolution (no pun intended ;) ) and chillen beleive in creation.

The main point is to explain your position and hopefully some good arguments can follow.

To begin, obviously i believe in evo. Theres as much doubt about this as deciding whether the earth revolves around the sun.

Ok its a rainy day and i thought this could make things a little more interesting.

What are your thoughts and reasons. I already know some on here such as evolution (no pun intended ;) ) and chillen beleive in creation.

The main point is to explain your position and hopefully some good arguments can follow.

To begin, obviously i believe in evo. Theres as much doubt about this as deciding whether the earth revolves around the sun.

Really, please post a link where I stated I believe specifically in creation? Assisting one in ones belief isnt the same as believing in something "entirely" as a whole yourself. And, I say this without giving my opinion on whether I believe in creation or not. I have tried to keep my personal opinions on this subject matter to myself and rarely partake in the debate threads on this subject. In addition, I did give PB some support on his beliefs because this was important to him, and as such important to me. And, again, I say this without disclosing my religious preference.

;)

Chillen

Last edited:
Why this again?

A lot of people can't seperate their religion from any of these topics.

Starting with an abstract question is a much better way of getting to what people believe in. This is me taking a nod towards the "1000 monkeys typing on 1000 computers" thread.

i wouldnt be able to find the quote but i swear you said it, but i guess you would know if you did or not.

Although you could have just posted your answer just then.

*scratches head and wonders why he isnt revealing it :)

This is either going to fizzle as a result of people being unable and uncaring enough to articulate what they feel are complex explanations of what they believe, due to the polarizing question...

Or it's going to erupt in all these people posting whatever they believe with no regards to discussion.

Remember the last thread?

This is either going to fizzle as a result of people being unable and uncaring enough to articulate what they feel are complex explanations of what they believe, due to your the polarizing question...

Or it's going to erupt in all these people posting whatever they believe with no regards to discussion.

Remember the last thread?

Hopefully not. I was hoping people would state their belief, and the evidence supporting their stance. Which would lead to a proper discussion and maybe people changing their minds. But i suspect some people will shy away, probably because they know they have nothing to back it up with and dont want to show the fallacy of what they believe in. Shielding their own thoughts from clear thinking rational responses. ;)

Yeah...probably too simple.

The thread I mentioned was not a money thread. The question was "Will 1000 monkeys typing on 1000 computers until the end of time create a copy of Hamlet?"

It has much more to do with evolution and intelligent design than you think.

Hopefully not. I was hoping people would state their belief, and the evidence supporting their stance. Which would lead to a proper discussion and maybe people changing their minds. But i suspect some people will shy away, probably because they know they have nothing to back it up with and dont want to show the fallacy of what they believe in. Shielding their own thoughts from clear thinking rational responses. ;)

You hope, or you expect? The two are very different things. The first one is not going to happen the way you set up this thread. Come on Matt, you credit yourself as intelligent. Stop repeating the same actions looking for a different result.

i wouldnt be able to find the quote but i swear you said it, but i guess you would know if you did or not.

Although you could have just posted your answer just then.

*scratches head and wonders why he isnt revealing it :)

I mean well with the last post, please dont misunderstand. I just try to separate my own views on ths subject matter from the posts I make---as much as I possibly can, because this topic can get rather touchy and sensative for some, and spark a rather "healthy" debate. So, in short, I generally just read and avoid posting. This is not to say, I will not attempt to support some one else; though staying neutral is difficult, when in fact I do have feelings of my own.

This is why I was suprised with your comment, lol. Its all good! :)

Still noooooooot..........tellllen......hehehe

:)

Chillen

Einstein :D

Do we have to get into the religious argument every time? If someone believes something, let them.. they can't back it up with proof, that's why it's called believing.

Actually its called faith karky, and doesnt have to be religiously comprimised. I know many christian people who believe in creation, while others evolution.

And Leiyun - Considering i typed in hope, it is hope not expectation that i forview. Although one call still expect and hope at the same time.

hmmmmm

If one believes in Creation, i doubt they believe that creation is not evolving.
Would you say that God's creation does not evolve. Or that evolution only exists in the absence of a Creator. Are you certain these two ideas are opposing ideas....

maybe what you really mean is Creation or Big Bang?

just an observation. Maybe it is semantics. But, it is obvious that all things are evolving. Evolution does not explain the beginning.

symantics maybe, but ruining a wonderful word like 'evolution' is not necessary.

hmmmmm

If one believes in Creation, i doubt they believe that creation is not evolving.
Would you say that God's creation does not evolve. Or that evolution only exists in the absence of a Creator. Are you certain these two ideas are opposing ideas....

maybe what you really mean is Creation or Big Bang?

just an observation. Maybe it is semantics. But, it is obvious that all things are evolving. Evolution does not explain the beginning.

symantics maybe, but ruining a wonderful word like 'evolution' is not necessary.

Yeah, it depends on what you mean by "creation". If you mean do I believe the biblical version is factually correct? No, I don't.

I believe in a creator in some capacity and I believe in evolution. Actually, the existence of evolution is a fact, so it would be more correct to say I am aware of evolution.

Were talking about a global scale, so the big bang is not necessary.

Its not explaining the begining but, the complex biological systems we see today.

Creation is essentially what the name implies, complex things like us being created or intelligently designed by some supreme being. Which you are really just shooting yourself in the foot.

Or evolution to explain how complex entities are a result from gradual accumulation of simple begininngs.

Out of all the replies no one has showed any preference. Lack of knowledge or lack of interest :S

Yeah, it depends on what you mean by "creation". If you mean do I believe the biblical version is factually correct? No, I don't.

I believe in a creator in some capacity and I believe in evolution. Actually, the existence of evolution is a fact, so it would be more correct to say I am aware of evolution.

So what your trying to say is that you believe in a god that started the big bang, and the evolution that follows is a result of this?

Were talking about a global scale, so the big bang is not necessary.

Its not explaining the begining but, the complex biological systems we see today.

Creation is essentially what the name implies, complex things like us being created or intelligently designed by some supreme being. Which you are really just shooting yourself in the foot.

Or evolution to explain how complex entities are a result from gradual accumulation of simple begininngs.

Out of all the replies no one has showed any preference. Lack of knowledge or lack of interest :S

Okay, Okay! :)

Poll results:

I believe in Creation: I believe I can create one great by losing weight

I believe in Evolution: I believe I will evolve by staying consistantly involved with diet and fitness.

Not sure: I am friggen positive.

I know, I know.........Back in my corner......:(

Chillen

Ah, the monkeys thread. That was fun. That wasn't the real Tanizaki, though. The General would have done a much better job of baiting me. I had a pretty good row with him back in the day.

Also, I seem to recall a certain young Jackie Chan looking gentleman who once started a somewhat similar thread. The difference, though, is that he built up to it, whereas you, matt, you've just thrown it out there. It's sort of like the difference between adequate foreplay and surprise sex, for me.

Back on topic, I think Francis Bacon said it best:

The subtlety of nature is greater many times over than the subtlety of the senses and understanding. I had rather believe all the fables in the Legend, and the Talmud, and the Alcoran, than that this universal frame is without a mind...it is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

Really, though, as long as a person abides by Esse quam videri, they're alright with me. I mean, I mighg end up having to kill them or whatever based on our conflicting values, but I wouldn't think less of them for it the way I might if they displayed, say, hypocrisy, ignorance, or arrogance. All three together is particularly bad. And extremely common. :newangel:

Ok maybe it was "thrown in", like suprise sex as you had it :p

I was mainly interested to see who beleived in creationism, and why they share that particular view. Considering no one has voted for it then maybe i should move onto something else...at least i tried :s

Although "not sure" has been voted. Anyone who voted that want to explain :p

Last edited:
Back