Gastric Balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
It has now been 18 hours since I've had my balloon in. I have not been able to keep anything in. I tried drinking sips of water (around 10 or so far) and am pretty sure I've vomited all the water. I also had like quater a cup of tomato soup and threw that up as well. The heart burns come and go but overall not that bad. I did notice my urince was blue the first time I urinated but when I called the doctor he said it was normal as they might of spilled some while filling the balloon. I do still feel full though and have vomited a few times after that so I guess the balloon is still there. As far as how it feels in my stomach it just feels as though I am very full all the time its been 3 days since I've last eaten and I still don't feel hungry. I haven't weiged my self yet because I've decided to once a week only.
Wish me luck!

Hey all,
I don't know if anyone reads this thread anymore but it gives me some comfort to be able to share my experience here. Ok so today marks day two with my balloon in and 3 since I last ate. I throw up once every three hours or so and nothing has stayed in. The throwing up isnt as bad as the cramps and heart burn that I've been getting 24/7. My diet so far has been,
Day 1: water 5 sips , Tomato soup, 1 spoon of yoghurt ( nothing stayed)
Day 2: 10 sips of water, clear chicken broth (half a cup), green tea, half a tea spoon of minced beef and one green been.
I haven't slept much but sleeping on my left side does help. I haven't been feeling hungry at all just weak. I'll keep you posted.
Wish me luck!

1 week with the balloon

I don't know how to post to this thread without replying to someone else's post. Tomorrow will be 1 week since having the balloon in.:willy_nilly::willy_nilly: I have been on nothing but liquids since 2wks prior to my procedure. Its been hard to keep fluids down and I cant sleep on my back at all. I am weak and very tired... but I am sure that has to do with not being able to keep much down. How is everyone else doing?

Hi all,
Today marks the end of my 4th day! Yay! I feel very bloated all the time and am not sure if I've lost any weight or not. My weigh in is on Saturday. I haven't been sick in 24hrs and I don't want to jinx myself but I've also been able to keep some meat in. Today marks the first day of soft food. For breakfast I had 1/2 a cup of skimmed milk. I then had two tea spoons of yoghurt. For lunch I had 2 tbl spoons of chicken and 2 tbl spoons of boiled veggies and half a table spoon of rice. After lunch a had a cup of orange juice. For dinner I had some lean meat and a tea spoon of rice. My cramps and heart burn got a lot better after I started taking anti gas tablets my old acid pills (MYLANTA) did nothing for me. I still get cramps and heart burn but not as bad as yesterday. I will start going to the gym tomorrow. I have been craving savory food which is wierd since I've always been a sweet food kinda girl. I read that green tea helps with bloating, so I'm going to try it.
Wish me luck!

How much have you lost now?

I had mine done 11/11/15 and I am down 13 pounds. I get to start excising... finally... I cant wait to see my process!!! 13lbs might not seem like a lot, but its huge for me. I am FINALLY unfer 230 pounds. I haven't been able to day that in over 4 years. :hurray::hurray::angel::rotflmao::rotflmao::santa::santa:

Getting my balloon - any advice?

Hello All,

I am getting my balloon on January 4th, 2016.
Any news what I can do in advance to feel better after the insertion?

Thanks a lot.

mz0120

Moving balloon?

no football feeling for me Drul - unless the balloon drops down in my stomach. Then I feel gross. When I move it up I am fine again.

I was wondering how you are moving the balloon?
I am getting mine 2 days from now.
TIA

mz

Best of luck today!!! I had a terrible cough after the procedure but was given medicine that helped a lot. My best advice is take your med's as prescribed. I had mine done Nov 11th and the fist month and a half was hard. I stayed nauseous and had some pretty bad cramps. But now I don't even notice it. :hurray::hurray::hurray:

Thanks a lot. I had it on Monday afternoon. Today is Friday morning. I had a terrible cough, too - probably due to the intubation, since it was done in general anesthesia. I also had a little nose bleeding that stopped after ~1-2 hours - probably due to nasotracheal intubation (they inserted the tube through my nose, rather than my mouth).

I was vomiting for about 48 hours, about 6 times (not that bad), and everything came out. I got infusion 2 x 500 ml on two different days while in the hospital (I was released on Tuesday at around 8:30 AM), then I got cab to the train station, and took the train (1 hour) and walked home (30 min). I was very week. Both infusions contained 10 mg Controloc and 10 mg Cerucal (in spite of this I vomited).

On Wednesday I had to travel to another country (by bus, then by train, then by car) totaling 10 hours. I had two luggages and when I saw the 42-step staircase at the railway station (upward, of course), I almost cried. Thankfully, a very nice railway worker carried up my luggage.

I did not dare to eat or drink anything on Wednesday while in the car (had 3 more people, and did not want to share my story). Enough to say it was rough. When I arrived on Wednesday evening to the hotel, I drank apple juice, and tried to sleep. My balloon (and my stomach) is moving up and down (or at least feels like).

I took my 10 mg Cerucal pill yesterday and today. I am nauseous, have cramping, and feeling very week. But I think I am so far better than most of the ballooners on this site, so I am thankful.

Yesterday I went out to buy some fluid in the local grocery (had ~400 ml pomegranate juice yesterday), and was amazed the selection of fine milk chocolate (I am in Germany right now). I saw two excellent Chinese restaurants, lost of great German bakery goods, so I am mentally suffering. Stayed in the hotel whole day, was on Skype, Viber and Facebook, emailed with colleagues back in the US, and talked on the phone with family and friend. And watched the terrible news from Cologne :-(

Anyway, today is Friday, and I have a job interview, which I know (as it turned out yesterday) that it will not go anywhere... so I wasted money ($600) to come here, rent a hotel room, transportation, etc., but at least my good old friend whom I did not see since college (almost 20 years) is coming to visit me tomorrow (he is unaware of the balloon).

Btw, I am starting a blog, where I give everything (prices broken down, too), but at this point I would not like to share which country I had my balloon inserted. If you are interested, I will try to give keywords, how to find it.

I talked to a friend, who is a pathologist, and she also gave me good advices (she does research on gastrointestinal illnesses).

I have so far a few things to say, which probably has been told before on this site:

1. Try to take off two weeks after the insertion and stay at home, get adjusted.

2. I focus on two things: 1. blood sugar, and 2. blood pressure. For the first, I take grape sugar pills that can be purchased in local groceries. It melts in your mouth, pretty much homogenous, and keeps the soul in my body :))) (I am originally from Eastern Europe, but not from the Czech Republic, so my balloon was not inserted there, but you can buy these sugar pills in every grocery - I am also NOT diabetic). For the second, I try to drink. They told me every hour. Yeah, right. I use straw, and it helps a lot.

3. Control the vomiting! My pathologist friend warned me about esophagus perforation (Boerhaave syndrome) that may be caused by numerous and/or vomiting. I have not found it grounded yet, after going through carefully on English-written scientific articles on PubMed.

4. About burping: I have not had it yet. But! I am trying to follow the gastric bypass diet (someone wrote about it on this site), so try to do only fluid for the first 1-2 weeks. Let's see if I can do it. From week 3-4, I will be on yogurt and fluid. And from week 5, I will introduce solid food into my diet. Do NOT depend on my words. Please Google the gastric bypass or gastric band diet and you will find a much better described. I am trying to simplify for myself, so it is easier to remember.

And finally, I get no support whatsoever from the practice where they inserted the balloon. They prescribed the medications I have requested, and I told them I will e-mail when I will have any problem. The gastroenterologist told me that his wife got a balloon, too. Unfortunately, there were other patients in the room, and I did not dare to ask how much she lost. I asked for travel certificate for my balloon (which I wrote for myself, since they don't speak English), and this is when he told me that they went for vacation to Dubai and the airport machine did not show the balloon. Which might not be the case in the US.........

Back to the sore throat: I had three procedures in the US that required intubation, because it was done during general anesthesia. None of them had sore throat at all. Back at home (an Eastern European country), this was my very first procedure under intubation where I was left with sore throat (I would say for about a day). So, I know that if it is done well, there is no sore throat...

About my weight: I don't have a scale unfortunately (and one that can be trustworthy), but I estimate that it was about 270 lbs (or abut 122 kg). I am 168 cm (which is about 5'7"). No medical conditions (no diabetes, no hypertension), but I have a herniated disc that prevents me bending a lot. I also had two mastectomies (on one side), where they removed a part of my major pectoral muscle, so even if I am bending, it cramps. Btw, it was not breast cancer, but something else that required surgery. I decided to have it done, because I learned in the US that if you are not perfect on the outside, no one care about you and degrees, because look is what counts (unless you are truly a genius). I also had this procedure done, because my hip joints were painful lately, so I need to lose weight for sure. I am single, so I will not have support when I go back to the US in mid-January, and this is why I am going to blog. In my blog, I am trying to give a somewhat scientific approach (I am a PhD candidate and my work was related to clinical research), so it might be somewhat boring for you. At one point I also would like to remarry (uhm, then I am divorced, not single :))) and have at least a kid (whereas the probability is steeply decreasing by my age being soon 45).

Anyway, feel free to ask, I am here to answer.
Again, as I wrote before, I decline to say which country and where it was done (and anyway, they don't speak a single English word), plus I need to obtain the gastroenterologist's permission to do that (I am sure that he would be happy if I send there some patients...).

And finally for those who will say that an educated woman why is not asking for a dietitian's advice instead of getting a balloon (because I always get it):

When I was younger, and needed to lose 5-10 kilos (11-22 lbs), I ran or 4-8 weeks, 3-4 times a week for 30-60 minutes (I love to run), and with no diet restrictions, the weight came off.

Now that I am older, it is not that easy. I would not have liked surgery, plus I am not qualified, and anyway, in the US it is very difficult to get bariatric surgery sponsored by the insurance. I might be 270 lbs, but I am well-proportioned with no medical conditions. Well, my family practitioner tells me that if your waist is more than 33 inches (I think it is 33), then you have metabolic syndrome. OK, so I have metabolic syndrome. But my fasting blood sugar and cholesterol are in the very normal range, so is my blood pressure. HDL is less than normal, and no matter how much I exercise or how many fish oil capsules I eat, it will not change, LDL is OK, triglicerides, too. I don't have H. pylori (was confirmed by breath test and stomach biopsy). I eat lots of chili and curry. Unfortunately, I eat chili with pizza :))))) So, I have some gastritis...

My balloon will be left in for 7 months, it is filled between 450 and 500 ml (so not overfilled, as some of you talked about 6-700, but my doctor told me it depends on the size of the stomach, too), and I am planning to post weekly updates, or whenever something new comes up. I expect about 1-1.5 kg/week weight loss, so for 28 weeks it is 28 to 42 kilos, and I will work harder on it, than ever (remember, I paid cash for this balloon :)))).

Good luck to all ballooners. I will be back to check on new posts.

WEAK - not week. Lots - not lost. Friends - not friend. About - not abut. Sorry about that and other typos/grammatical/etc. mistakes/errors I might have made. There are a lot more to say, but I wanted to write a fast update.

I will be back with a more detailed follow-up on my Wordpress blog.

See you soon.

Hi mz,

I'm amazed you have been able to do what you've done this week! I will have my Spatz balloon inserted this coming Thursday and have been instructed to remain virtually immobile for the first 3 days. I also have to have 2 IV infusions on the 2 days following the insertion. It seems every clinic does things differently. Good luck - I hope to lose about 25 kilos at least - also while doing a clinical PhD - all that sitting isn't helpful though.
Cheers.

I am now on my 3rd day post-insertion: minimal retching (I couldn't call it vomiting as I brought nothing up but it did provide relief when I did). Cramps have been horrible. Only on clear fluids still - have been now for over 5 days. Had 2 x 1l infusions before discharge from hospital and then the same on the 2 days following the procedure. So have had over 6L of fluid pumped into my body so far. Am hoping this explains why I am now 2k heavier than I was the day of the procedure. This weight gain is very discouraging and I hope it disappears quickly. I have been instructed to stay on clear fluids for another 3 days, then free fluids for 5 days then soft diet for at least 5 days - no solid food until 2 weeks post-procedure.

I had the Spatz balloon inserted - 450ml fill - I feel as though I can fit nothing more in my stomach. Quite uncomfortable feeling this full all the time. Sleep was impossible for the first 2 nights following the procedure - due to the combination of pain and nausea but last night slept well - possibly due to some Stemetil being given with my 2nd infusion yesterday.

The thing I am finding hardest is having no energy due to lack of food - the most I've been able to tolerate was 1/4 cup clear apple juice and that left me feeling full to the gills. I'm a little worried about malnutrition and hope to be able to start sipping liquid multivitamins today.

As for the weight loss though - none - I lost 1.5k on the 2 days of the clear fluid diet prior to the insertion but have regained that plus another kilo - hopefully for the reasons above. My BMI is 35 and I hope to lose 28k to get back to a healthy BMI.

Hopefully my next post will see me a little lighter and more energetic.

invasive procedure
Etymology: L, in + vadere, to go, procedere, to proceed
a diagnostic or therapeutic technique that requires entry of a body cavity or interruption of normal body functions. Examples include the Pap test and colonoscopy.
Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009, Elsevier

The balloon is not a non-invasive procedure. It holds a moderate amount of risks. Complications involve the 'usual' cramping, nausea and vomiting, which for some people can get so bad that the balloon needs to be removed again. Then there's the chance of damage to the oesophagus or stomach during insertion, which can lead to bleeding and stomach ulcers, and possible permanent damage, and can, in extreme cases, be lethal. There's a chance of infections and leakage, both of which can be life threatening. There's also a chance of a rupture, which can obstruct the intestines, or it can perforate the abdomen, which can be life-threatening if not detected early.
Malnutrition and lack of important vitamins and minerals is common due to the restrictions of the balloon, and a multitude of foods that can't be eaten, possibly resulting in hair loss, low energy, fatigue and skin problems. And that's just in the short term. And last but not least, it is extremely easy to cheat while having a balloon - so somebody who didn't have the willpower and determination to stick with a lifestyle change and healthier eating, will easily find ways around the restrictions of the balloon.

And then there is of course the fact that a large number of people puts the weight back on after the balloon is removed, since it is simply a crutch, forcing them to eat less by punishing them with nausea and vomiting if they eat too much.

So, in summary, it is by no means a procedure with very little risk, or one that is a good aid for people struggling with weight loss. And I find it extreme to even suggest something like that to somebody at 94 kg, unless they are under 4 foot.

It is up to the individual what they want to do to their bodies, and how they deal with the consequences of whatever they decide. Sugar-coating a procedure like this, however, is completely wrong in my opinion.

What you say about the risks of the procedure are true but you don't balance this with an examination of the risks of being obese. In my case I have a strong family history of Type 2 Diabetes and heart disease - at 160cm and being 92k - I have a BMI of 35 which puts me in the very obese range and greatly increases my risk of developing both these conditions and others which are related to obesity - cancer etc. Everything is relative and to someone of my height, 92k is simply unhealthy.

I am now on my 3rd day post-insertion: minimal retching (I couldn't call it vomiting as I brought nothing up but it did provide relief when I did). Cramps have been horrible. Only on clear fluids still - have been now for over 5 days. Had 2 x 1l infusions before discharge from hospital and then the same on the 2 days following the procedure. So have had over 6L of fluid pumped into my body so far. Am hoping this explains why I am now 2k heavier than I was the day of the procedure. This weight gain is very discouraging and I hope it disappears quickly. I have been instructed to stay on clear fluids for another 3 days, then free fluids for 5 days then soft diet for at least 5 days - no solid food until 2 weeks post-procedure.

I had the Spatz balloon inserted - 450ml fill - I feel as though I can fit nothing more in my stomach. Quite uncomfortable feeling this full all the time. Sleep was impossible for the first 2 nights following the procedure - due to the combination of pain and nausea but last night slept well - possibly due to some Stemetil being given with my 2nd infusion yesterday.

The thing I am finding hardest is having no energy due to lack of food - the most I've been able to tolerate was 1/4 cup clear apple juice and that left me feeling full to the gills. I'm a little worried about malnutrition and hope to be able to start sipping liquid multivitamins today.

As for the weight loss though - none - I lost 1.5k on the 2 days of the clear fluid diet prior to the insertion but have regained that plus another kilo - hopefully for the reasons above. My BMI is 35 and I hope to lose 28k to get back to a healthy BMI.

Hopefully my next post will see me a little lighter and more energetic.

So now on Day 4 and most of the physical symptoms of discomfort have gone. No nausea, minimal heartburn and minor cramps which I think were due to hunger more than a reaction to the balloon. I have just had 1/2 glass of a protein shake and it tasted marvelous! While my doctor encouraged me to hang out on clear fluids until at least Wednesday, this morning I was so weak and light-headed, I felt I had no option but to get some protein into my system. So far, so good - I need to be able to get moving! Have shed the extra kilos gained during the procedure so hopefully am on track. Once I can start exercising I think it will make a difference - and stop me feeling stir-crazy!

Hi Wombat,

You are doing quite well, and I am happy to read it!

Strange thing: I have never had heart burn, and fact, I don't even feel any stomach acidity.

I don't think that I am exceptional: 4 years ago a had two partial mastectomies (due to a breast tumor), where they removed some part of my muscular chest wall. It took two days to get back on my feet completely alone (I live alone in the last 15 years). The same was true for the gastric balloon, too.

So, where did I finish? I owe a lot, and have not worked on my blog either, but took notes:

I was on clear fluid for 4 days after the balloon insertion and was extremely weak. I met in Germany (where I had to travel) with a friend of mine (who works as a surgeon in Germany right now), and was able to walk for only an hour in the town. I decided I need to start eating. So, I got a half of cheesy bakery, and 0.5 liter peach tea. I was very afraid that I will vomit, but nothing happened (reminder: balloon insertion was on Jan-4, and this was on Jan-9). Next day on Sunday, on Jan-10, we decided to visit a Chinese-Thai buffet. And I ate like someone who did not see food for years :-( I had a very bad nausea, but no vomiting. I drank like 2 liter of fluid. Nowadays, I noticed on myself that I can become very thirsty (no, I am not diabetic). Frankly, I was very concerned... that I was able to eat that much. Definitely I can eat less yet feeling full and almost nauseated. I had altogether 4 cramps (not that bad) on Saturday, Jan-9, just 4 days after the insertion. Not after that. Not a single one!

Since then I am eating, less, so I am ok. I noticed that the weight I lost during the 5-day clear fluid period started to come back. This made me sad. I have to do more self-control what I am eating.

On Sunday, January 17, at 3 AM I got into a cab, then I took a 2-2.5 hour flight to my connection flight, then a 9.5 hour one to Houston, so I returned to the States (this was planned, I went home for X-mas for 5 weeks, and intended to return this day). The travel was OK, KLM was feeding us TOO WELL (pasta, pizza, sweet stuff), so now I am going on a "sin trip" to lose everything, and will plan visiting the gym. One thing that I noticed: I am generally and unfortunately, a fast eater... but the girl who sat next to me (and was half of my size) ate much faster than I did. I think balloon makes you control the speed, even it is somewhat subconscious... I was somewhat nauseated, but nothing bad happened. Arrived home, sent out some e-mails, made some phone calls that I arrived back to the States, and went to sleep for THIRTEEN good hours without any effort. I slept very well. I notice minimal balloon movement, no cramps whatsoever, no vomiting, sometimes nauseated, but I am good. Probably I took Cerucal (to prevent nausea/vomiting) for the first few days, but never ever. Just in case, I will

Sorry, my computer stopped, had to restart, and in the meantime a few things came up.

So, just in case, I will take the antacid every single morning.

My balloon removal is due in early August (will be left in 7 months). Also, I just ordered a scale from Amazon ($24.95).

I am hoping the best, but also I am concerned that I have a very good appetite... so I am going on WeightWatchers, or at least will try to have an 1500-1800 kcal/day diet or counting calories.

Looking forward to the news from you guys.

All the best.

End of Day 5 and feeling a little weak still (more due to lack of food than anything else) but just walked for 40 minutes quite comfortably. Today experienced no discomfort except when I drank too much and too quickly - I think the ideal amount I can consume within say a 30m time interval is about 250ml. Staying hydrated is the biggest challenge - it was 35 degrees here today - tomorrow threatens to be even hotter. Having frequent small drinks is definitely recommended. Today had a protein shake (hospital quality), strained orange juice, small glass of vegetable juice and a cup of cauliflower soup plus lots of water. Didn't weigh myself today but 2cm smaller around my waist. Feeling hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back