Whisper's Diary

Hey Tom, I hope you are at the bottom and headed up from here. I know how you feel, I am not happy about my weight gains, just trying to focus on doing the right thing day by day now, like you. Easier said than done... I know.

It doesn't really, you can do it today! I am trying as well.

Yep, just not fair, but its life. Dealing with it one day at a time is all we can do.

Yep, remember that! You will be fine.

Hope your father feels better soon. What's ailing him?

He had issues again this morning - 3AM. My nephew woke me up again around 5am. I watch him all during the day and my nephew stays up and checks on him during the night. When he gets up he feels faint. His color looks good. He isn't running a temperature or anything like that. He says he feels okay other than his head feeling loopy. I ask him if he wants to go to the hospital and he declined. We're just trying to make sure he is eating and drinking regularly. He's been eating really good this past week, but I don't think he is drinking enough. My sister made him a glass of water last night and it hasn't been touched. I explained the importance of him drinking enough water. He doesn't look pale or flushed or anything, no pain or sick at his stomach. He's stubborn. I know my sister when she was dehydrated (because of period twice, sorry for info), she had hallucinations even and felt faint and stuff.

But at the same time, my sister and I are susceptible to weather change especially this time of year. We just had a shift from hot temps down to much cooler ones. I tend toward vertigo and have for the past 7 years and take meclizine as needed. My sister was acting funny the other day at work and a new manager asked if she was on drugs. LOL. She doesn't take anything. But this time of year is bad. Ragweed is bad. This was a headline on September 21, 2021

"Yes, Your Allergies Are Probably Acting Up As DFW Ranks At Top Of Worst Cities For Pollen"​

I have tinnitus and my ears are ringing super loud this morning and that's normally a sign when I get close to vertigo so it's so hard to tell. I don't know that my dad is effected this way or not. I never thought before, but then again I never had vertigo issues until 7 years ago so. My sister and I took after our mom. My mom had really bad allergy issues and so forth. My dad never seemed to have those same problems. He's been one of those people who rarely get sick.

My dad tends to be loosey goosey in his bathroom habits so he's learning toward hydration issues regardless.

Me, I'm nervous and panicking sitting here. I've had these issues my entire life. That's one of the reasons why I wanted to lose weight to help control the symptoms so I wouldn't worry so much. When I moved here, I had just lost 5 people that I was extremely close to in a 9 month period as well as losing my job of 34 years. I'm nearly 57, but I still don't feel ready for the future lol.

Winning the lottery would help.

I always say if I was lucky enough to win big in the lottery I'd be lucky enough to get the winning ticket gifted to me as well. If your dad doesn't drink well could you maybe give him more liquids through his food? Adding or thinning out soups and such can sometimes be helpful.

I always say if I was lucky enough to win big in the lottery I'd be lucky enough to get the winning ticket gifted to me as well. If your dad doesn't drink well could you maybe give him more liquids through his food? Adding or thinning out soups and such can sometimes be helpful.

Yup most definitely can try that. He's drank one bottle of water so far. I'm trying to get him to at least drink 2 more. that'd put him up around the 50 oz mark.

That's one of the reasons why I wanted to lose weight to help control the symptoms so I wouldn't worry so much.
I have found that losing weight helps with some things, but not everything. I have had tinnitus most all my life, losing weight made no difference. The biggest improvements I find with weight loss are mobility and reduction in aches and pains, though my bottom is not so comfortable to sit on now. A cushion helps.
I'm nearly 57, but I still don't feel ready for the future lol.
I'm older than you and no more ready!
Winning the lottery would help.
Me too, but it would have to be that special lottery for those who never buy a ticket...

Keep at it Tom, you have made progress with your weight and can continue to. It won't solve all problems, but it will make your life better. And as you know from my diary I struggle with this also. I think most of us do. Just keep on trying and things, some of them anyway, will get better!

I have found that losing weight helps with some things, but not everything. I have had tinnitus most all my life, losing weight made no difference. The biggest improvements I find with weight loss are mobility and reduction in aches and pains, though my bottom is not so comfortable to sit on now. A cushion helps.

I'm older than you and no more ready!

Me too, but it would have to be that special lottery for those who never buy a ticket...

Keep at it Tom, you have made progress with your weight and can continue to. It won't solve all problems, but it will make your life better. And as you know from my diary I struggle with this also. I think most of us do. Just keep on trying and things, some of them anyway, will get better!

I have had tinnitus most of my life too as far as I can remember. It never goes away and I don't think about it much. Some days are worse than others. In the past month or two, my dad and my sister started getting it. My sister's comes and goes and my dad has had it the last week. So it's unusual for them, but not for me. I've tried "exercises" and stuff like that before. If it goes away, it goes, but if doesn't, it doesn't. I really don't care either way. I'm used to it.

Hi, Tom. I'm sorry you're struggling with your Dad. I'm glad you have some support from your nephew. LaMa's suggestion of adding extra water to food is good. Does your Dad like fruit? Watermelon would be good.
From https://www.sharp.com/health-news/eat-your-water.cfm
"Fruits and vegetables that are high in water content include:
  • Melons such as watermelon, honeydew or cantaloupe
  • Strawberries
  • Pineapple
  • Peaches
  • Oranges
  • Bell peppers
  • Broccoli
  • Celery
  • Cucumbers
  • Lettuce
  • Zucchini"

Well life is what life is. It's not always bad, but sometimes it sucks. Today is my birthday, but unless I say something to someone, I doubt I will get any Happy Birthday wishes from my family and friends. There is one outside chance that I may get a call from a lady I used to work with. She has always been good about birthdays. Is it bad that I just wish for some sort of acknowledgement lol. I remember other people's birthdays. I guess this is how a mom would feel, doing everything for everybody all day long everyday and then get forgotten and keep expected to carry on the same way everyday. It does get old.

This isn't an easy time anyway. The anniversary of my mom's death was on Jan 16th (yesterday), today is my birthday, tomorrow would have been my ex-wife's birthday who died. Maybe I should move my birthday to sometime in July lol.

I am sick right now. Naturally everyone would go to covid, but every year I get what I call the 3 month cough. Lots of sinus drainage and chest congestion. I'm not running any fever or anything like that. My sister is the same way. She is going to the doctor today for a work requirement, not that she is overly sick or anything. At anyrate, I am feeling better today. I felt better yesterday. It's been about 5 days since this started. The pollen has been in the medium to extremely high range for weeks now. And this is my worst time of year.

I am 57 years old and I had my first official hot toddy! We used actual whiskey. I learned alcohol isn't for me. It never has been. I didn't like the way it made me feel so I will go back to my fake hot toddies. Right now that is Arizona Green Tea with Ginseng, Honey, and Lemon Juice.

At any rate, I hope everyone doesn't mind this post and has a great day.

Dear Diary.....thanks again for listening.

Happy birthday, Tom, and my condolences for the sad days surrounding it. I had a friend who moved her birthday to her name day just cause it was more convenient for celebrations. Nothing wrong with that! Just be careful you don't end up with double birthdays or you might age painfully quickly :p

Happy Birthday, Tom. I know the feeling well, being a person who tries really hard to remember people's birthdays. I really appreciate someone making the effort to remember mine. It just isn't a priority for everyone, unfortunately. Our younger son forgot my birthday again this year. I made him a calendar for the year with most birthdays & major events on it. He still has to look at it. I have a system but occasionally that system fails. You are now on my calendar 🎂

Dear Diary......I am so very tired. I don't have any motivation to do anything at all personally. I take care of my dad and do everything related to that.

I started at 268.8. I dropped down to about 244.4. Now, I'm back up to 257.7. So like the song goes, "Here, I go again."

I'm going to try, but am so very depressed. What do you do to keep motivation up especially in the wonderful times we live in?

Cheers.

Hi, Tom. I'm glad you are back in your diary because that means that you have not given up on yourself. You have had a very rough few years & there would not be many people who would not be struggling to stay motivated. Looking after your health is probably the most important thing that you can try to do. Can you take your Dad out walking at all? I'm not sure if he is bedridden but if he can get out & about in a wheelchair it would benefit you both.
Depression sucks & I have to make sure I get outside & get as much fresh air & exercise as I can to lift my mood, especially coming into winter as we are here in Australia. How is the yard looking? I'm going to pull out our tomatoes today & plant some spinach when I turn the beds over. I love growing veggies. It's not expensive & very rewarding.

I'm going to try, but am so very depressed. What do you do to keep motivation up especially in the wonderful times we live in?
I honestly don't know on many days so I just distract myself. I don't watch the news unless there are things my small person can maybe have a tiny bit of influence on (like elections). Focus on things you CAN contribute to, like the care of your dad and your own health.

Hey Tom, good to see you!
What do you do to keep motivation up especially in the wonderful times we live in?
I've tried a lot of things, the one that has most consistently worked is posting here. Doesn't always give me the motivation I want or need, but it does always help.

Are you in the lawn mowing season yet? Not so here, I did mow a couple of weeks back, more out of hoping it was needed than a real need. We have fresh snow on the ground this morning.

Hi, Tom. I'm glad you are back in your diary because that means that you have not given up on yourself. You have had a very rough few years & there would not be many people who would not be struggling to stay motivated. Looking after your health is probably the most important thing that you can try to do. Can you take your Dad out walking at all? I'm not sure if he is bedridden but if he can get out & about in a wheelchair it would benefit you both.
Depression sucks & I have to make sure I get outside & get as much fresh air & exercise as I can to lift my mood, especially coming into winter as we are here in Australia. How is the yard looking? I'm going to pull out our tomatoes today & plant some spinach when I turn the beds over. I love growing veggies. It's not expensive & very rewarding.

Hiya.....my dad is pretty much bedridden. He only gets up a little bit, here and there. So walking for him is out of the question. however, I take the dog out (I'm allergic and hate dogs) and while I'm out, I go for a quick 10 minute walk (1/2 mile) a couple of times a day. During winter, not nearly as much.

It is spring here. The temperature is creeping up. It was 94 the other day. This week it will be in the low 80's. The front yard is looking pretty good. I've mowed several times already. It has a good edge to it now along the sidewalk. I still can't get all of the grass out of the sidewalk, but it looks way better than it ever has. It's just the grass in the cracks. This week is limb week. The city will pick up what I cut down, so starting last week I gathered up broken limbs and cut down as much as possible. I have a pretty good stack going.

So the front yard is good. There are limbs I can't reach, but other than that. the backyard is something else. It is basically an overgrown junkyard, that I had nothing to do with. Now because of what I've done with the front yard, I've been elected as the patron saint to clean up the back. ugh. My older brother tries to tell me what to do and how to do it (He had everything to do with how the back yard is, but somehow it isn't his responsibility. I guess my dad isn't either), while smoking two packs a day, complaining he can't breathe due to COPD. All I want to do is tell him to STFU. Sorry. It's frustrating. So there is plenty of exercise to be bad. Fresh air? Not really. I'm highly allergic to trees and stuff. On a scale from 0 to 12, the pollen index is 11+ every day. It's hard to breathe outside. I wear a mask. It doesn't help a lot. I've had a lot of fluid on my ears to the point I have an ear infection where the pain radiates into my teeth, what is left of them anyway. I get these infections about once every six months. So I'm pretty miserable, but trying to do what I can.

My sister bought some tomato seeds, but honestly we don't know anything about doing a garden. We had an idea of trying to do a raised bed garden once we get the backyard under control. We just don't know what to plant, when, or how yet. Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Hey Tom, good to see you!

I've tried a lot of things, the one that has most consistently worked is posting here. Doesn't always give me the motivation I want or need, but it does always help.

Are you in the lawn mowing season yet? Not so here, I did mow a couple of weeks back, more out of hoping it was needed than a real need. We have fresh snow on the ground this morning.

Hiya. Staying busy with the yard and playing games is the only thing that helps me, but it is just a way to stay distracted. it doesn't fix anything.

Yard work has definitely started for me. I've mowed about 3-4 times now and have been cutting limbs all last week in preparation for the city to pick them up this week. I've been going out there every day. Allergies are kicking my butt though, so for every day I go out, I feel like I have the flu that night. I wish allergies wasn't so much of a problem, because in a weird sense, I really like yard work now. It is "growing" on me lol.

Take care.

I honestly don't know on many days so I just distract myself. I don't watch the news unless there are things my small person can maybe have a tiny bit of influence on (like elections). Focus on things you CAN contribute to, like the care of your dad and your own health.

Yeah, there's not a lot I can influence. My car broke down, so I haven't left the house in about 2 1/2 months. Of course, taking care of my dad, is a 24 hour a day job now too. I thought of doing some writing the other day, but then again what's the point lol. Ugh. I just got to find a way to deal with the new "normal", whatever that is.

Don't give up on yourself, Tom: you're as worth caring for as your dad is. It must all be so frustrating! Writing sounds like a good outlet: even if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to it might release some frustration and remind you there's a world out there waiting for you to get back to it at some point.

My sister bought some tomato seeds, but honestly we don't know anything about doing a garden. We had an idea of trying to do a raised bed garden once we get the backyard under control. We just don't know what to plant, when, or how yet. Any suggestions would be most helpful.
I'm far from being an expert on gardening. There are lots of helpful sites. This is one- https://www.bhg.com/gardening/vegetable/vegetables/planning-your-first-vegetable-garden/ It's Australian so our gardens should be North facing to get the most sun & yours will be South. My problem is wildlife & our fenced off garden is on the Southside of our house. Most of our veggies that we grow are ones that don't mind shade, like lettuce (Cos especially) & spinach. I have lots of herbs. If you make veggie beds you'll have less mowing. If you have raised veggie beds they require filling. Maybe start off with things in large plastic pots, sitting on dirt (to let the worms get in) & see how you go.

Back