Whisper's Diary

NSV - Fat Jeans to Skinny Jeans

Well not real skinny jeans, but that's what I call them. I got up this morning and went to the drawer to pull out my last pair of jeans (I had planned on doing laundry today) and realized they wasn't my normal size of 40 x 30. They were 38 x 30. Last time I tried them on, I could barely get them snapped and had to wiggle them up. This time, I had no choice. I only have a few pairs of pants and none left except for this one, so I tried them on and no wiggle and just had to suck my gut in a tad to fasten them. So they had the slightly "tight" fit you get after washing them and putting them on for the first time, but nothing else. Now after wearing them for about an hour, they feel really good. I'm amazed!

Sorry if I am not posting much on my diary, I am just trying to concentrate on losing this excess baggage and feeling better.

Oh btw, I found the other compression sock yesterday! Woohoo.

Now onward to the next experiment!

More choice in comfy and fitting jeans is the best reward. Go you!

That is an excellent NSV :)
Good news on finding the other compression sock too. Don't apologise for not posting often. It's always nice when people check in. It sounds like you are doing really well.

Week 14 Update:

Start Weight: 268.8

Last Week - 246.3
This Week - 246.7

Lost this week: +0.4 lbs
Total Lost: -22.1 lbs

Achievements This Week:

Exercise:
Additional - yardwork and walking Felt better this week. Quite a bit of yardwork and lots of walking.

Not bad at all. I will take it. I lost 8+ pounds the last two weeks so I figured there would be some backlash. My diet has been good, but I've drank a ton of water every day (for me anyway). It has been super hot with heat indexes near 110. So just walking outside, I break out into a sweat.

My goals for last week. How did I do?

Goals last week:

1) maintain weight or have very little difference. Even with water weight, that's 8+ pounds in two weeks. I don't want a rebound effect. I want to continue to move forward. 230's here I come! I briefly hit 238 back in 2017 for a week or two, but haven't been below that in years upon years.
2) Find that other blasted sock and laptop tray!!!! I did search and I did go to the store and look for another pair but they were out of my size.
3) Survive the week as usual.

#1 - maintain weight or have very little difference. .04 is very little difference. I'll take it. Goal accomplished!
#2 - Find other sock and laptop tray. Well I found the sock so that's partial credit.
#3 - Survive the week. I'm still here so I guess that counts.

With both compression socks now. I still get some swelling, but not nearly as much. By using them, I lost anywhere from 1/2 inch to 1 inch in each of the calves. I'm not sure what that correlates into actual weight loss, but it's nice to not have them swell so much.

Cool things that happened this week:

1) Found the other sock of course. 2) My sister can see how much weight I've lost now. She sees me everyday. She couldn't tell before. 3) My size smaller jeans fit really good! 4) I am squarely in my 240s now. 5) I feel better.

Goals of the week:

1) Yardwork. Yardwork. Good news is that it will be much, much cooler after today so it will be easier. I have to put limbs out so I can easily go out and work each day so exercise shouldn't be much of a problem.
2) I'd like to see a loss this next week. I'm averaging 1.5 pounds a week, but it is very sporadic how I am losing it.
3) Survive.

Til then. Have a good one!

Awesome job this week! The best part is feeling better, but I'm sure the other parts contribute to feeling better.

Week 19 Update:

Start Weight: 268.8

Last Week - 244.4
This Week - 244.1

Lost this week: -0.3 lbs
Total Lost: -24.7 lbs

Achievements This Week:

Exercise:
Additional - yard work and walking

I'm done. I quit. I'm not losing enough weight to even say that I am on a diet. I put in a lot of effort. I try and post. I talk to my sister about it. I stay around 1700 calories. I exercise. I limit or cut out sweets, cokes, etc. I watch fat, sodium, etc. I keep up a spreadsheet. I track what I eat. I do projections. I make goals. I read about diets. I watch videos about diets. I read other's testimonies. I look to see what they eat. Etc. It's a lot of effort for little results. These results are more like whether I eat a carrot before I weigh in or not or whether I am wearing my light underwear or did I dry my hair after a shower or not. Hey I need a haircut, is that 3 or 4 ounces, maybe I could squeeze 5 out of it. Like my uncle used to say, I didn't catch a fish because I wasn't holding my mouth right. It's not worth starving and being miserable. My current projection of hitting goal weight based on current loss is 2025, like 3 YEARS away. It'd be different if I was within 20 lbs of goal weight. I"m OBESE and some websites list it as SEVERELY OBESE. I mean come on. This makes no sense. It's all my fault though. Somewhere along the line, I ate a crouton on a salad once and that stops the weight loss for life.

What makes me mad the most? I could eat a donut and gain 10 lbs overnight. Of course, it would take me 3 months to lose those same 10 lbs, if then. Then I get hit with all of these ads. Come lose weight with us. Guaranteed! For the low, low price of a billion dollars a pound. Of course, if you don't lose under their guarantee it's all your fault in the first place. Right? But I usually don't go for scams in the first place.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy. Everyone on here has been so nice and kind. There's a lot more to it than just weight loss. I can't take it anymore. I'm tired of fighting.

There's a lot more effort to kill you, then to keep you alive.

Date
Weight - Target of 1.5 lbsActual - Target of 1.5 lbsActual - Weekly AvgCurrent WeightWeekly Weight LossBody Percent LossCurrent BMIBMI Weekly LossBMI Marker
08/01/21247.8246.7246.7246.7+0.4+0.1637.51+0.06Obese 2
08/08/21246.3245.2245.4246.1-0.6-0.2437.42-0.09Obese 2
08/15/21244.8243.7244.1245.1-.1.0-0.4137.26-0.15Obese 2
08/22/21243.3242.2242.8244.7-0.4-0.1637.20-0.06Obese 2
08/29/21241.8240.7241.5244.4-0.3-0.1237.16-0.05Obese 2
09/05/21240.3239.2240.2244.1-0.3-0.1237.11-0.05Obese 2

There's a lot more effort to kill you, then to keep you alive.
True, sadly. Gaining is a LOT easier than losing (for people like us anyway). I don't even know how often I've given up along the way. When I was losing the bulk of my weight it was at the break-neck speed of a kilo a month. But lose it I did and I felt better for it. Still do, really, even though I've regained some and am on the way back down. It's ok to despair sometimes.

I feel pretty much the same as you, Tom. I regain weight very easily- I mean super easily & I struggle to lose anything. It is bloody frustrating. I just can't give up on myself though. I can't change the fact that I lost weight too fast, back in 2007 (36 kg in 6 months) & I think I will always struggle. I understand why you are feeling like you do. If you have a break I do hope you'll come back. I want to cheer you into the 230s (almost there!) & the 220s & into onederland :grouphug:
PS Have you read this article? https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

Cate, at the rate I am going, you could have a really long wait to see me in my 230s. Something like 2 to 3 months. If it was 1 to 2 pounds a week like everyone says I should be losing, then it'd be a couple of weeks. But alas, that's not happening.

I couldn't read the article. It wanted me to sign up and I don't have money.

I was so frustrated this morning, that I was going to have a wild binge today. I'm sitting at 1375 calories lol. In my defense, I did drink some pepsi today though and a strawberry limeade lol. So much for my rebellion. I'm pathetic at that too lol. I'm not even hungry.

... I'm averaging 1.5 pounds a week, but it is very sporadic how I am losing it.
when i was losing weight i kept a daily spreadsheet of weigh-ins... often 3x a day. my average was a little over 2lbs/ week (until the last 10-15), but it was far from linear. i'd notice a certain weight showing up maybe 2 out of every three weigh-ins for 5-6 days then it seemed to jump ahead 2-3 lbs and start over again with that new figure.

something to keep in mind ... it could up to 5-6 days to cancel out a single "cheat" or "binge" day. even more critical as you approach your goal weight. weight gain has a hysteresis factor. the effects of a bad day won't be noticed tomorrow.

Haha, Tom I can stand by & be your cheer squad for as long as it takes! 📣👏
You can Google that article & find it elsewhere. I didn’t have to pay anything to the NYT.
I’m glad your binge failed 🤣

Failing at binging sounds like a superpower I could use... I'm with Cate: we have all the time in the world for cheering.

when i was losing weight i kept a daily spreadsheet of weigh-ins... often 3x a day. my average was a little over 2lbs/ week (until the last 10-15), but it was far from linear. i'd notice a certain weight showing up maybe 2 out of every three weigh-ins for 5-6 days then it seemed to jump ahead 2-3 lbs and start over again with that new figure.

something to keep in mind ... it could up to 5-6 days to cancel out a single "cheat" or "binge" day. even more critical as you approach your goal weight. weight gain has a hysteresis factor. the effects of a bad day won't be noticed tomorrow.

I would love to average 1.5 to 2 lbs a week. Right now, it's like .4 or .5 a week. So it takes a month to lose 2 lbs. But I can fluctuate that much. As far as cheat or binge days, I may be over 100 to 400 calories. Those days are few. I know sodium kills me so I don't cheat on pizza or any high sodium any more. Typically, I just eat more regular food.

Today I was up 1.5 lbs. I said I was going to cheat/binge yesterday our of frustration, but didn't get up to my usually calories. I'm shooting for 1700 calories a day. I had about 1600 yesterday.

I've never really lost weight fast before except for one time. I was tested for food allergies and put on a diet. I lost 40 lbs in 2 months (way to fast. I was sent to the hospital for testing. everything was fine).

I'm 56. It just seems way harder to lose weight this time around. I should be in my 230's by now, yet I'm still flip flopping around 245.

I'm only averaging 1.5 pounds because of the initial weight loss. If you take out the first month, I'm only averaging .64 a week.

With exercise and watching calories, I'm supposed to be losing around 1.5 a week. So they say anyway. Maybe that part is wrong.

Failing at binging sounds like a superpower I could use... I'm with Cate: we have all the time in the world for cheering.

Thanks. I appreciate that. I'm going to see what I can do. I'm just at wits end at the moment and not enough will power to care much.

I appreciate that. I'm going to see what I can do. I'm just at wits end at the moment and not enough will power to care much.
That's understandable. Your health issues and life circumstances absolutely do make things harder. I wish I could change that but some people really do have to fight harder than others. The article Cate linked (the Biggest Loser thing) talks about how the contestants they followed not only regained most/all/even more than the weight they'd lost on the show but kept burning a lower amount of calories than they did before losing weight even after getting back to their old weight. Maybe they had less muscle mass at that point (muscle is more metabolically active than fat) or maybe fast weightloss really does make your body more conservative long-term.

That's understandable. Your health issues and life circumstances absolutely do make things harder. I wish I could change that but some people really do have to fight harder than others. The article Cate linked (the Biggest Loser thing) talks about how the contestants they followed not only regained most/all/even more than the weight they'd lost on the show but kept burning a lower amount of calories than they did before losing weight even after getting back to their old weight. Maybe they had less muscle mass at that point (muscle is more metabolically active than fat) or maybe fast weightloss really does make your body more conservative long-term.

I was going to wait until my 220s or so before I started trying to build more muscle, but what's the point now? I'm going to start a light exercise band routine. Hopefully, it will help in the long term.

There's never a reason to put off strength training (unless you have injuries that need time to heal). The more weight you have on your body the easier it is to build muscle while losing fat.

Actually, this conversation has me thinking that I really must start some strength training. My metabolism is shot so I might try building some muscle. It's worth a try, Tom 💪 :)

Actually, this conversation has me thinking that I really must start some strength training. My metabolism is shot so I might try building some muscle. It's worth a try, Tom 💪 :)

Well strength training is supposed to tone you up so I'll give it a go. I do yardwork all the time but I consider that all cardio - mowing, raking leaves, edging, weed eating etc. This week I'm going to keep tabs of just how many minutes I am doing along side of average calories per day. Today, I had 80 minutes of yard work plus I walked a mile.

Back