What is the most Alpha thing you have ever done?

We've all seen Rudy...:D

The ' goon ' caught up with me in the 3rd period and we dropped them again - this time the fight went for almost 2 minutes non-stop ( which is an eternity ! ) but I never went down. Even though he outweighed me by 20+ lbs, I hung tough till I finally got him down to the ice. Ended up with a cut above my eye for 10 stitches or so, got my nose broken and got one of fingers broken.

Nice job on the rematch, especially when you must have already been tired! 2 minutes! Geez. That IS long. :beerchug:

If I had to think about it, I can't think of any truly "alpha" moments in hockey, because things like playing hurt (oh! you mean my shoulder was separated. No wonder I could barely move my arm) or generic scrums don't seem to meet the definition to me. No epic fights for me.

I think my most "alpha" moments came when I used to play basketball in public playground/courts when I was a teenager. I was the one who would get everyone to shoot to make teams, decide which rules to use for that(e.g., from 3pt line, no match, etc.), set up basic rules (e.g, how long games were based on how crowded the court was, how long one team could keep a court by winning) & then later keep track of who really had "next" on the court. What made it very cool (and alpha) is that I was typically younger, smaller, and less, you know, male, than everyone else. But I was serious in my game (all hustle, running the court, hours daily) & I could out-argue or out-talk anyone (hehe), so I commanded the court and the guys listened to me. Having been in plenty of positions of authority in my life since then (in work, coaching, and so forth), I recognize the difference between leading because people are being nice and polite and "letting" you versus leading in a true alpha sense where people just instinctively FOLLOW.

It still amazes me in hindsight that I had achieved the latter, because if the me of today was around the "old" me, I think I would put that punk-ass kid in place! Ha-ha!

Nice job on the rematch, especially when you must have already been tired! 2 minutes! Geez. That IS long. :beerchug:

Tell me about it !:eek:

Since you play hockey you know what I'm talking about...2 minutes in a hockey fight is freakin' eternity !!!

I can still remember looking over at the refs during the end of the fight and thinking " you guys can jump in any time now ......this guy's going to kill me ! " I think the refs thought this goon deserved a fair chance to make up for what happened to him in the first period, so they just let it go. I was completely gassed after 30 seconds and by the last 30 seconds I had absolutely nothing left. I have never been so wasted after a hockey game since.

Tell me about it !:eek:

Since you play hockey you know what I'm talking about...2 minutes in a hockey fight is freakin' eternity !!!

I can still remember looking over at the refs during the end of the fight and thinking " you guys can jump in any time now ......this guy's going to kill me ! " I think the refs thought this goon deserved a fair chance to make up for what happened to him in the first period, so they just let it go. I was completely gassed after 30 seconds and by the last 30 seconds I had absolutely nothing left. I have never been so wasted after a hockey game since.

Just found it! It's the long missing dialogue between the refs (or linesmen or whatever you had) in your game...

"Damnit, this game is takin' a long time to finish, eh?"
"I'll say! Where we goin' to eat after?"
"I dunno. What are you feeling like? Spaghetti maybe?"
"Nah, that was my lunch. I could go for a burger & a beer. Ya know who makes the best burgers 'round here?"

<insert 2 minute discussion about local diner food and beer>

"Oh, f--k, think that guy is still alive???" :yelrotflmao:

As for hockey tired (as opposed to fighting tired), you know those men's adult/rec league games when you have only 5 or 6 skaters (maybe you even had to start with only 4 to avoid forfeit and someone else came late) & you start the game. After a period and a half, you're thinking, "Hey, we can hang with these guys! This isn't so bad!" You might have a lead or more likely are tied/down by 1. Then somewhere in the early third period, you realize the clock isn't moving between face-offs. 12:43. Skate your ass off. Whistle. 12:18. Especially fun when the clock/scoreboard operator is slow. 12:18. Face-off. Quick whistle as puck leaves the rink. 12:18.

Those nights are especially fun when you have a double-header. Heh.

Just curious.....(cause I don't even ice-skate, let alone play hockey)...do you guys actually practice, discuss and develop your fighting techniques? Inevitably it's part of the game and it would be in your advantage to know how to handle yourself out there, no?

I'm not your typical "tough guy" by any means but whenever i'm out with my friends i always look out for them and I'm first there if trouble starts. To be fair though, we kind of look out for each other...I let a guy hit me once, if that counts for anything (long story!)

I once moved the entire contents of a 3 bedroom flat on my own, including fridge-freezer, washing machine etc...

I also open all the jars in the house :D

Just found it! It's the long missing dialogue between the refs (or linesmen or whatever you had) in your game...

"Damnit, this game is takin' a long time to finish, eh?"
"I'll say! Where we goin' to eat after?"
"I dunno. What are you feeling like? Spaghetti maybe?"
"Nah, that was my lunch. I could go for a burger & a beer. Ya know who makes the best burgers 'round here?"

<insert 2 minute discussion about local diner food and beer>

"Oh, f--k, think that guy is still alive???" :yelrotflmao:

You're right.

Most of the ' better ' refs don't take any of the crap that goes on in a game too seriously. Some of the conversations between some of the more ' laid back ' refs are just hilarious - and of course , nothing of what they're talking about has anything to do with hockey. :)

It's the ' control freak ' refs - who don't let players just ' play ' - that really ruin games IMO.

As for hockey tired (as opposed to fighting tired), you know those men's adult/rec league games when you have only 5 or 6 skaters (maybe you even had to start with only 4 to avoid forfeit and someone else came late) & you start the game.

You bet ......been playing in them for years now.

After a period and a half, you're thinking, "Hey, we can hang with these guys! This isn't so bad!" You might have a lead or more likely are tied/down by 1. Then somewhere in the early third period, you realize the clock isn't moving between face-offs. 12:43. Skate your ass off. Whistle. 12:18. Especially fun when the clock/scoreboard operator is slow. 12:18. Face-off. Quick whistle as puck leaves the rink. 12:18.

That's why at this ' old ' age at which I'm playing, I bring my own persosnal oxygen tank to the bench - have to ready for that dreaded ' third period " ! ;)

Just curious.....(cause I don't even ice-skate, let alone play hockey)...do you guys actually practice, discuss and develop your fighting techniques?

Inevitably it's part of the game and it would be in your advantage to know how to handle yourself out there, no?

Keep in mind, some guys have played 15+ years of competitive hockey and never had a fight. Some guys might fight only once or twice a season, whereas some other guys - the so-called ' fighters ' / ' enforcers ' on a team - may fight every second game or so.

Now, some guys who think of themselves as ' fighters ' / ' enforcers ' sometimes will have those speed bags or heavy bags ( i.e the ones you see in boxing gyms ) set up in their (or their parent's ) basement just to keep up their ' arm conditioning '. This helps when throwing punches 10 - 20 quick punches in rapid succession at the very start of a fight. Some of these guys may have also taken a few very basic boxing lessons just to be more efficient at throwing punches, having balance and defending themselves etc.

Beyond that, you develop skills at fighting during games themselves over the years...so it's sort of ' on the job training ' . Sometimes guys at practice may horse around trying different sweater ( uniform ) tugging techniques, but it's nothing you actually do seriously...it's mostly just for fun.

That said, if you've ever seen how lame an ' alleged fight ' among players on team sports like baseball, soccer ( football ) or basketball is - they fight like girls ( no disrespect intended ladies ) - you can really appreciate how tough and truly violent a hockey fight is IMO.

That's one of the reasons why we love our hockey up here in Canada..........eh !;) :canadaf:

Last edited:
Im thinking of starting cage fighting in about 2 years time. The owner of my gym is opening another building next door to the gym in a couple of years, where he is planning to do cage fighting etc.

Im no Motherf*cking pussy!

That's why at this ' old ' age at which I'm playing, I bring my own persosnal oxygen tank to the bench - have to ready for that dreaded ' third period " ! ;)

Just remember - it's not cherry-picking if you never make it back across the blue line before the other team turns the puck over and you're taking off the opposite way. Ha-ha!

BSL: As for practicing fighting, I have never trained or practiced hockey fighting. I've done some kickboxing and more recently mixed martial arts - so I do know how to throw a punch. But it has nothing to do with hockey and the most useful part of it (that would translate to the ice) is some of the skills from grappling.

For hockey, I am squarely in the "not a fighter" category. I've goofed around with friends on the ice, just working on jersey holds and whatnot, but not actually fighting. My "role" is that I'm a grinder; I do plenty of mucking to create scoring situations & goals. My own goals are almost always within 8 feet of the net (rebound, one-timer or tip), and I draw plenty of 'reactions' from opponents, because I treat the crease as "shared" space & I play until I hear a whistle.

In the past, I didn't really have that many opportunities to fight. On the few teams I've played with where things would get heated enough to cause a few fights (and the league didn't toss fighting players from the league entirely), I would be the person standing in front of the net who got cross-checked in the back, "inspiring" a teammate or two of mine to fight. To me, the biggest reason I don't fight is that I wear full facial protection. I get elbowed and hit in the head all the time (I'm too short), and it's just not worth it to go without or even just a visor. It sucks, but that's the reality. Of course, if you ask the guys I've played with, the reason I don't fight is cause it is someone else's job to "protect" me. And if you ask the guys I've played against and they were honest, the reason I don't fight is that no one actually wants to fight me! They'd view it as a no win situation. Some of them have to "get over it" in the first place to even play hard against me!

After being a teacher's pet in elementary school, a cello player in junior high, and a shy math team geek in high school, pretty much everything I've done since seems to be pretty alpha male in comparison. When you set the bar that low early in life, you tend to have delusions of manliness for doing just about anything.

After being a teacher's pet in elementary school, a cello player in junior high, and a shy math team geek in high school, pretty much everything I've done since seems to be pretty alpha male in comparison. When you set the bar that low early in life, you tend to have delusions of manliness for doing just about anything.

I would take this thread with a grain of salt...a lot of it is just false bravado IMO ( at least my posts are :) )

Don't be so hard on yourself. Being a man - i.e ' manliness ' - doesn't really ' have to have ' anything to do with sexuality, violence, athletics, etc....that's just a stereotype.

As for setting the bar high, and if they could only aspire to one path, I'd much rather see my sons / daughters as intellectual successes than athletic successes.

It's been my experience the kind of people who compare "alpha" stories aren't exactly alpha males.

Der came in here looking for some real males, she couldn't find what she was looking for so she made a sarcastic comment instead :D

Back