What is meditation?

Meditation is a practice of concentrated focus upon a sound, object, visualization, the breath, movement, or attention itself in order to increase awareness of the present moment, reduce stress, promote relaxation, and enhance personal and spiritual growth.

Meditation is not a technique but a way of life. Meditation means 'a cessation of the thought process' . It describes a state of consciousness, when the mind is free of scattered thoughts and various patterns . The observer (one who is doing meditation) realizes that all the activity of the mind is reduced to one.
Good way to get relax and how to manipulate certain situation to good outlook in life even if it is bad.

Meditation is the art of stopping thought, when thoughts stop you release a tremendous amount of energy that is waiting dormant in the coccyx(tailbone). This energy then rises up the spine and sets into greater activity the chakras or energy centers that are located in the energy body, but have a corresponding location in the physical body. There are seven main energy centers and the activity of each corresponds to different levels of consciousness. Finally the energy reaches the top of the head and awakens areas of mind that have been dormant. The result of all this is your evolution into a higher state of being.

I too am not too sure how meditation works so I appreciate all of the advice and tips posts; however, I am still unsure of how meditation benefits a work out routine. Maybe I am just one of those people who just can get it right.

hi murphy
Meditation is a practice in which an individual trains the mind and/or induces a mode of consciousness to realize some benefit.[1]

The term meditation refers to a broad variety of practices (like sports), which range from techniques designed to promote relaxation, contacting spiritual guides, building internal energy (chi, ki, prana, etc), receiving psychic visions, getting closer to god, seeing past lives, taking astral journeys, and so forth, to more technical exercises targeted at developing compassion, love, patience, generosity, forgiveness and more far-reaching goals such as effortless sustained single-pointed concentration,[2] single-pointed analysis,[3] and an indestructible sense of well-being while engaging in any and all of life's activities. Thus, it is essential to be specific about the type of meditation practice under investigation.

The amount of concentration in meditation can be increased by having certain items such as Tibetan Chakras and Tibetan Wealth Vases

Meditation is used to make your mind free from the stress and strain. There are many people should taking the help of meditation for keeping their mind stress free and got relaxation.

The practice of meditation brings you to a natural state in which you feel connected to the world around you. There are many types of meditation practices - basically sitting or moving.

While people think that meditation involves the cessation of thinking, it is more than that. We tend to think in terms of words. We take the original creative thought and give it a verbal label. The label contains only a small fraction of the original thought. Creative people have less of a need to turn everything into words and can turn thoughts into creative works.

So meditation is not really shutting off thought but is about shutting off the addiction to turning thoughts into words. When you can do this then the animating energy behind the thinking process can fill every part of the body so the body itself becomes conscious.

You can feel that animating energy and how to strengthen it so the body becomes vibrant and doesn't deteriorate.

This is the idea behind some of the types of moving meditation such as Tai-chi and Zookinesis Age Reversal Exercises. Meditation results in more aliveness yet reduces stress and tension. It should be done as part of every exercise program.

If you go to your Doctor for stress related problems, she or he will likely tell you that perhaps the best treatment for stress is Meditation. They will suggest that you start meditating and this leads you to two problems. The first is where to get appropriate direction in how to meditate. By finding Meditation Station, you've already solved that problem. The other is understanding exactly what Meditation i

Meditation is the mental concentration on something,other consider that we meditate when we imagine something that give us peace or satisfaction.

I have tried meditation a few times and rarely ever got close.
There are a number who regard this as lack of thought or an empty mind, how this works I don't know. There is nothing I or most I have known find more impossible than clearing our minds, thoughts race in as soon as we try.
What I found worked well was focussed centre meditation in Aikedo. Rather than expecting the mind to clear this gave a point of focus that shut out everything else.
Not being adept at meditation at all I have only been able to do this guided in and out. It's quite a high when you come back to the world and I have no idea why.

People I have known who can genuinely meditate alone have told me they need something to block out surroundings initially, music etc. and most of them seem to come out of the state when they are done naturally, confusing the heck out of people like me.

Closest I get alone is psyching for a set. This is me focussing on nothing but what is coming up and I do it very well. So well that on one occasion I fell of a bench as I had lost focus on everything including sitting upright while preparing myself. The most dramatic perfect lifts I have ever done have usually been where my mind seemed slightly absent and body went through the motions in a virtual haze. As soon as I have finished and the mind re-opens I find the physical effects of the recent effort rushing in but am too elated to care. This feels like I have heard some describing meditation, mind clear and disconnected somehow, wish I could do it on demand.

The main goal of Meditation is to control self mind and concentrate a particular area. A lots of benefits for meditation-

INCREASED IMMUNITY
EMOTIONAL BALANCE
INCREASED FERTILITY
RELIEVES IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME
LOWERS BLOOD PRESSURE
ANTI-INFLAMATORY
CALMNESS

Last edited by a moderator:
As much I know about meditation, it is realizing ourselves,.. a means to know what we are, what we desire,..which in return is distressing, enlightening

Back