What is meditation?

If i even wanted to meditate, i wouldnt be able to. Because i dont know what it is or how u do it. could sum1 xplain it to me? I've wanted to try it, but i dont know what to do.
thankx.
Murphy

Well, i've read alot on meditation, but have not mastered the practise yet. Basically, meditation is to to find self awareness. You first have to silent the mind, and then you can find awareness. Check out the following link. It will give you the basics, the rest is up to you. From personal experince, it is a very positive thing to add to your life. Good for stress, anxiety, anger and so on...

Last edited by a moderator:
The dictionary definition of meditate is: "to think deeply"; "to reflect"; "to empty the mind in order to concentrate on nothing or on one thing, especially as a religious excercise".

There are two general types of meditation, mystical and secular.

In practical terms, though, it's getting your mind and body into a relaxed state. This gives allows both mind and body to destress and refresh itself.

It can be as simple as sitting comfortably in quiet place and with eyes closed and turn your attention to your breathing, preferably through your nose.

Under mystical, some religions incorporate a form of meditation into their lives. Buddhists practice Lamrim meditation, Catholics pray on the Rosary and other Christians pray as a form of meditation, Transcendental Meditation (TM®) is a set of Hindu meditation techniques.

In the secular world, meditation is intended to help health, creativity, self esteem, success etc. The practioner ususally meditates twice a day for about twenty minutes each time.

(removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's when you turn off your mind from the outside world and focus in on your own. It's hard to explain with out being there, but the idea is that you keep 'digging' into your mind, your eyes are closed, and your mind go loose, you'll start looking into the darkness and see these colored dots, or images, pass by. As your freeing your mind you might hear 'static' in your ears, and then you may hear voices (they sound like they're there!). It's kinda of weird but cool. The important thing is you don't 'think' you just 'observe'.

Other forms exist, so you can call it a broad term. But it's just fun :)

Oh if you your interested in trying it out the best way to get into the metadating 'mood' is just before going to bed (you can do this in bed, under the covers, and you don't need to be in that fancy crossed leg position) - simply lie back clear your mind of thought (breath normal, and don't focus on it!), simply close your eyes and 'listen' and 'observe.' It will take time for your mind to relax (don't fall asleep, and don't focus on the time).

It's for that exact reason I don't recommend meditating in bed, under the covers :) It's important to keep warm since, when in a trance state, the body tends to slow down significantly and get cold -- so if you're going to bundle up, and do it in bed, sit upright with your legs crossed. That way it's a little tougher to nod off.

when i was in Kung Fu...they tought us that if a bad thought comes to mind...breathe out the bad through your nose..and breath in the good through your mouth!!

Zen Buddhist meditation is the process or the action of ceasing inflowing thoughts in attempts to overcome attachment and therefore achieve greater mindfullness and happiness.

There are many different ways to practice meditation. Some people chant mantras, some sleep, some run, some swim, some put a pillow under their ass and sit indian style, etc. Meditation, in this interpretation can therefore be defined as the simplification of thought or chanelling of desires through an activity (the act of meditation).

Dietor if that's the way you were taught then it's hardly meditation. When a "bad thought" is identified as a bad thought, you must "breathe it out" and therefore dwell on it. To dwell on bad thoughts or to identify them as bad is bad in itself, lol. The key is to identify that they are merely thoughts, good or bad play no role, as all thoughts ought to be dealt with in the same manner.

ive tried this before. wasnt called meditation, but i was trying to get into the "theta" stage:p they explained it very simular, i did find it very hard.
i was lying completley still, relaxing and just feeling myself floating deeper and deepr into myself, then i would focus on something and break it, its hard, because when you feel your close your like "omg now im there!" and then ur screwed:p

Meditation in absolute terms is the act of distinguishing one's mind and one's self. The goal of meditation is to free one's self from the control of the mind; to eventually realize that the mind is a tool for one's use and not the embodiment of one's self. Furthered, it is the realization that there is no mind and no self.

In practical terms meditation is reclining in a semi-relaxed sitting position with good posture on a level surface in a safe place with no distractions and attempting to clear the mind of all thoughts, conscious or subconscious. Once that is achieved (it takes years), it then progresses to clearing the mind of all thoughts and practicing focusing thought towards a particular subject desirous of enlightenment. It's a practice that takes many, many years to master, with varying levels of expertise, but one I wholeheartedly recommend as the single greatest exercise of the mind and, very possibly, the soul.

In day to day terms, it's a time of rest and rejuvenation, a moment of peace in an over-stimulating world.

If you're interested in learning more about it and have some money to spend on a guide, I strongly recommend "Turning The Mind Into An Ally" by the Sakyon Mipham. You can probably find it in most book retailers. It's a well-written, entertaining beginner's guide to meditation.

aliquisdeus said:
It's a practice that takes many, many years to master, with varying levels of expertise, but one I wholeheartedly recommend as the single greatest exercise of the mind and, very possibly, the soul.

Recently I've been enjoying putting my mind and thoughts through the rigors of critical thinking; that's a fun exercise as well.

hello,
My friend I am telling you about meditations. Meditation is a natural treatment of body dieases.Meditation increase the memory and constration in your mind and it always haveing done in morning time. You have to choose a particular place where present a cool enviroment after then you sit and close your feet's take a alert position or your hand keep on kness then close your eyes.And then you have to pronounce the word OM-OM. repeat this word arround 15 to 20 minutes.you feel good after perfrom all these activities.

Last edited:
Hi,

Meditation is one of the ways to keep your mind focused and its relieves you from the stress, anxiety and depression. It helps you to lead a focused and happy life. Do have a look at this site meditationsolution.com for more information

Thanks,

meditation

Meditation is a way to get in to your deeper self. It helps to relax and free your mind from any attachment. It is incorporated with Deep breathing techniques.. meditation is for anyone want to improve and boost his concentration and focus abilities.

See my sig for the free link..

Meditation is different for everyone people. I'm a HUGE music lover (12,000 songs on my laptop and I've heard them all) so on my lunch break and right before I hit the weights I'll put on something (Usually rock, as of late it's been Burst, Agents of Oblivion, A Wilhelm Scream, and Rise Against), lay down, and imagine what it would look like with a band playing it in my head.

I used to play in a band myself, so I sort of create these music videos in my head... it forces me to concentrate on everything going on in the song like the shape of the mouth with certain words, the way the drums are being played, etc. After about 2 songs of this I completely drift off into something that isn't quite sleep, because I'm completely aware of my surroundings. But I'm DEFINITELY off somewhere.

I get up slightly groggy but relaxed, refreshed, and ready to take on the rest of the day.

Back