Walking Club

Hi I see there aren't any posts in here, but I am a keen walker. Love its low impact, its easy do-ability for me. I walk naturally in my day to day life 20-40 minutes a day. I live in a beautiful town with lovely streets, beautiful trees and nature all around so enjoy that no matter where I'm walking.
I am aiming to increase my walking to at least 1 hour per day starting yesterday. So trying to get a half hour walk in before i start my usual day, and incorporate some nice steep hill walking in that.

for tracking your walking, i commented on this feature of Google Maps in my diary, but this is the essential information. when you put in a walking path as directions, it will not only calculate the distance, but it will map out and calculate the elevation changes.

google-maps-elevation-profile-jpg.26719

That's a good idea--I might try that!
Beautiful walk this morning with the sun coming up. Good fresh air, beautiful trees, and views of mountains and waters.
I'm so glad to get motivated on this--can't believe I've been staying inside on these gorgeous mornings!

Yay, for walking, especially in beautiful and/or interesting places! I've been spurred to up my activity in the run-up to Christmas (thanks, Emily!) so I'll be doubling my day's walking - but today's is yet to happen! I'll look quickly round the diaries and then go out. :waving:

Yay, for walking, especially in beautiful and/or interesting places! I've been spurred to up my activity in the run-up to Christmas (thanks, Emily!) so I'll be doubling my day's walking - but today's is yet to happen! I'll look quickly round the diaries and then go out.

Did you get out on your walk aiminglow? I'm just having my breakfast now and will head out shortly for my morning walk. I managed 90 minutes walking in total yesterday. Walking is such a great activity for my mind. What kind of area do you have for walking? Trees? Concrete? I actually used to really enjoy my walks through bigger cities when i lived in them--walking wherever is always so nice!

Yesterday's walk was very short, just half an hour to visit a friend and deliver flowers and a birthday card. It's urban surrounds here, but there's always something interesting to see - and I really treasure the trees I pass on the way - roadside tree plantings, but also those in people's own gardens.

sterday's walk was very short, just half an hour to visit a friend and deliver flowers and a birthday card.
That's nice to incorporate some kindness and generosity into your walk :)

I was able to do 80 minutes today. I'm enjoying getting out first thing in the morning. Brightens my day!

Glad you started this thread!
I walk every day for about 50 min with my dog, but it is a fast walk, so It is my cardio training I can say.
During the weekends if it is good weather we walk into the forest and it is always 2 hours...

A couple years ago I was running every day about 13 kilometers, but now I can see that fast walk is better for me and my health :) I love walking

Got my hour's walk in yesterday and today.
During the weekends if it is good weather we walk into the forest and it is always 2 hours...
Oh that sounds nice! I love when i can get into a forest trail. Dogs are a good motivator!

I really need to join in here but I’m struggling time wise to get my walk in . I used to walk every day . I keep saying I will Just go do it and somedays I do and some I don’t . I live rural it’s great in spring summer not so much now . I do drive to a lit area sometimes.

I really need to join in here but I’m struggling time wise to get my walk in . I used to walk every day . I keep saying I will Just go do it and somedays I do and some I don’t . I live rural it’s great in spring summer not so much now . I do drive to a lit area sometimes.
Yes harder to get a walk in while its light these days. I'm lucky that I have a pretty flexible schedule so can usually find some daylight to walk in.
I'm hoping to head out to a forest trail today.

I was thinking it might be nice to add some inspirational quotes to our walking club--today's quote:

"All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking"--Nietzsche

...looking forward to my great thoughts! :confused:

Walking is great meditation I find. I'll join you here when I get my garden all ready for Summer. Meanwhile, I'll mulch & mulch.....

Walking is great meditation I find. I'll join you here when I get my garden all ready for Summer. Meanwhile, I'll mulch & mulch.....
That's one of my favourite things to do--mulching! Makes the garden look so ready for winter :)

Had a lovely walk on forest trails today...not sure if i had any great thoughts but sure made me happy!

It is winter in my country
I was walking and running a little... how amazing feeling after 45 minutes of being active! :)

It is winter in my country
I was walking and running a little... how amazing feeling after 45 minutes of being active! :)
I agree! It's sometimes hard to get motivated when it seems so cold out, but walking briskly through cool weather can feel so invigorating!...And it's motivation to pick up the pace! I had a really nice walk today as well :)

I like walking too. I have bad joints.. so it works better for me than running. Although.. sometimes I mix it up with jogging a bit and then walking a bit..

I also have hills around.. so I make sure to walk the hills and also maintain a fairly fast walking pace.

It also makes me feel good just being outside and looking at the trees and such..

Share your walking experiences and find others doing the same!

I really like all that I saw here, and would like to join in! I've always walked my dog but sporadically, I think it would be good for both of us to make it a habit. Starting off with every other day 45 mins to an hour of walking. Whatever pace she wants, and where we go will depend on her (as long as it's in reason lol). Last week was my official kick off to my weight loss journey, but I realized throughout my busy week of school and stress, I gotta have a plan and some kinda consistency. This will be where I start!

Back