Vegetarians/Vegans:Unite!

white_dolphin

:):):)
I was wondering, how many vegs are regularly visiting the boards? Maybe we can like, hang out together on a special thread or something..would be nice!:D

Let us know why you became a vegetarian or vegan, and maybe we can talk others into becoming veg too!:p

I went vegetarian when I found out what happened to the meat on my plate when it was still part of a living and breathing animal (I found the PETA website some years ago). Now I never eat any meat or fish, and I have cut down drastically on diary too (I use soy products). When I have a place of my own, I want to become a vegan.
For daily protein, I love eating all kinds of mushrooms, veggies, tofu (baked with soy sauce or some other marinade, or just raw with marinade), veg burgers, mock meat/fish, broccoli,...I just eat whatever I feel like eating.
My family members still eat meat, and sometimes when my brother eats a steak, all bloody and gore its kinda disgusting to be at the same table with them:( ...

What are your favourite meat substitutes/favourite foods? Is every member of your family vegetarian?

Last edited:
I am a strict vegetarian, no meat, and I avoid eggs and dairy whenever possible. I became veg for health reasons first and animals second. Factory farming is a terrible thing and I refuse to support it. I also just don't like eating critters.

Glad to find another veg here. I was wondering if I would be the only one.

Oh, just something I had to comment on.......
white_dolphin said:
Now I never eat any meat or fish, and I have cut down drastically on diary too (I use soy products).

I have read this a few other places on this site too. Fish is meat. They aren't two seperate things. A vegetarian does not eat any type of meat including fish and chicken. :D

I'm a vegeterian. To be honest..I think the reason I became one was because my older sister did, (I've been a vegeterian since I was 10.) I'm not sure, I can't remember actually deciding that I wasn't going to eat meat, I just know that by 10 years old I wouldn 't. I'm 20 now and just don't see myself ever breaking the habit and eating meat, the whole concept is so foreign now.

I do have morals about the idea of eating animals etc but over the years I have become SOOOO sick of people asking me about my reasons for being a vegeterian that I just say, 'I copied my sister.' Have no desire for people to try and lead me into a debate about it

I eat a mostly vegetarian diet. Strict vegetarian at home, no meat, dairy or eggs. I also try to maintain strict vegetarianism outside my home, but I occasionally eat fish, eggs and hidden dairy when I am at a restaurant or my parent's home. Please don't be offended if I refer to myself as a lazy vegan. I realize that I am not actually vegetarian or vegan, but it is much easier to explain my eating habits to people if I have a label. None of my friends or family (including my husband) are vegetarian or vegan and I live in a very non-vegetarian-friendly area. I found it entirely too stressful to maintain veganism when eating out, especially when traveling.

Anyway, I began eschewing meat and dairy to reduced animal suffering after I found out about factoring farming and other cruelties within the "food" industry. I guess I feel that even if I am not perfect in my attempt, any animal products I don't use is just that much less pain and suffering.

For protein, I am all about the legumes. Chickpeas, white beans, black beans, brown lentils, red lentils, black lentils. All yummy. I also eat nuts just about every day and a fair amount of soymilk, soy yogurt and edemame. I'm not big on tofu (although I enjoy scrambled tofu on occasion) and I don't eat a lot of analogues. Tofurky is pretty good, though, especially the smoked deli slices. Oh, and I also like the various veggie jerkies.

Last edited:
Good for you for striving to be vegetarian. It can be a hard transition. Some people do it overnight and for others it takes much longer. With all of the products available, some of them were mentioned in your post, it makes it a lot easier.

You're right about dairy too. A lot of people don't know how much suffering dairy farming does. One of the main problems is that because of dairy farming we have veal and veal is one of the most cruel of all factory farming practices. Veal is made from male calves that will not produce the milk the farmers want. Since they cannot give them what they want they do the following to them:

Cows produce milk for the same reason that humans and other mammals do, to nourish their young. But the millions of cows who live on U.S. dairy farms are forced into a vicious cycle of continuous pregnancy so that they will produce milk for human consumption. Their female calves are slaughtered immediately or used to replace their mothers in the dairy herd, and many male calves suffer a fate that is completely different but no less cruel—one of confinement, darkness, malnutrition, and slaughter.

Veal calves are forced to spend their short lives in individual crates that are no more than 30 inches wide and 72 inches long.(6) These crates are designed to prohibit exercise and normal muscle growth in order to produce tender “gourmet” veal. The calves are fed a milk substitute that is purposely low in iron so that they will become anemic and their flesh will stay pale.(7)

Because of these extremely unhealthy living conditions, calves raised for veal are susceptible to a long list of diseases, including chronic pneumonia and diarrhea. A study published in the Journal of Animal Science found that calves who were kept in “smaller housing units” had difficulty keeping themselves clean and had trouble “extending their front legs and changing from a lying to a standing position,” which resulted in joint swelling. It was also determined that stereotypical stress behaviors such as tongue rolling and “sham-chewing” (the act of chewing without food in the mouth) increase when smaller pens were used and as calves got older.(8)

After enduring 12 to 23 weeks in these conditions, these young animals, many of whom can barely walk because of muscle atrophy or sickness, are crowded into metal trucks for transport to the slaughterhouse.(9) On these trucks, they are trampled and suffer from temperature extremes and lack of food, water, and veterinary care.

Veal crates are prohibited in Britain, and the European Union has instructed its members to phase them out by the end of 2007.(10) In the meantime, Dutch farmers are required to keep calves in group pens.(11)

Taken from

Last edited:
I'm vegan, partially just because I didn't ever really like the taste of animal products. I've been feeling a LOT better since I made the switch, physically and emotionally. I'd suggest it to anyone who's willing to make the transition.

arkdm, I feel the same way. I'm not totally vegan yet (strict vegetarian here) but I'm about 95% of the way there. I feel so much better and I find it is easier to eat healthier because I'm not tempted by milk, cheese and meat anymore. I've gotten a lot of vegan cookbooks from the library and bookstore. They're so awesome and so good for you!!

Although I have to say you can eat badly on any diet including a veg diet. I wouldn't want anyone to read my post and think that just because you eat vegan it means its healthy.

another vegetarian here!

but not to confuse... if you eat eggs you aren't vegetarian and if you don't consume diary then you're vegan. It doesn't all exactly fit under the one roof.

Actually a vegetarian just does not eat meat. They can still eat cheese, milk and eggs and other animal by-products and be considered vegetarian.

On the other hand vegans eat no cheese, milk or dairy of any kind, no eggs and no animal byproducts or honey.

And a definition from the Vegetarian Society:
A vegetarian is someone who does not eat meat, fish, poultry or any slaughterhouse by-product such as gelatine. Vegetarians live on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruit, with or without free-range eggs, milk and milk products. Vegetarians not eating anything containing dairy products or eggs are called vegans.

Here is a definition from the American Vegan Society:
Vegans exclude flesh, fish, fowl, dairy products (animal milk, butter, cheese, yogurt, etc.), eggs, honey, animal gelatin, and all other foods of animal origin.

I have been a vegan for 5 years now, and a vegetarian for 8 :p
I guess i inherited it from my parents, who are vegetarian ex-hippies lol.
But i find it disgusting to eat the flesh of another creature. To me it just seems so unnatural and weird. I just don't view animal products as food.
And i also believe strongly that it is morally and ethically unjust to keep animals for food. I can't bear to think of what hapens in a slaughterhouse. There is already so much suffering in the world and i don't want anything to do with it. :( :( :(

It's good to see there are other veggies here! I've never met another vegan before so it's easy to feel like the only one! god bless the internet :D

Ive been a vegetarian since I was 4 years old, its awesome to see some others on the board! :D
The most difficult thing is getting enough protein into my diet, any good suggestions?

Ive been a vegetarian since I was 4 years old, its awesome to see some others on the board! :D
The most difficult thing is getting enough protein into my diet, any good suggestions?

There are plenty of protein options out there! Here is a quote from the Vegetarian Society website:
Protein:
Obtaining adequate protein on a vegan diet is not a problem. Nuts & seeds, pulses, wholegrain and grain products and soya products all supply protein. Previously, it has been thought that plant proteins are of a lower quality than animal proteins in terms of their essential amino acid content. However, this is no longer regarded as a problem and eating a balanced diet of plant foods will provide all the essential amino acids in adequate amounts.

Although if you are a vegetarian you are eating eggs and cheese too probably which has protein in it as well.

Hope that helps! :D

Ive been vegetarian for a very long time, when i was 3 my mom joined the Hare krishna's and we stopped eating meat. ( except for the occasional chicken nugget happy meal or grandma's birthday diner , i gave that ALL up when i was old enough to understand what the meat was) My dad almost had a heart attack when he got out of prison and found out his daughter had never had a pork chop. both of my sisters are vegan, even thought my other one is pregnant she does eat cheese when she craves it too bad. my mom is vegetarian and im partially vegan.( trying to go vegan) but ive been sick ( really really bad medical problems, The hospital staff almost all know my name ), and I needed certain things in my diet, it was either eat more dairy or meat, I choose dairy

Last edited:
I've been vegetarian on and off the past 5 years or so (there were a few times i was forced to eat meat because of random crap) i honestly just don't like the taste of meat. I did like fish, but because I own saltwater fish, i thought it was cruel to eat fish when i had some as pets. I actually hate PETA, not because of their purpose, but because it gets so over played, and a lot of the stuff they say isn't intirely true. I do eat a few meat subsitutes, but not very often, and usually they are far between.

Recipe Ideas for Vegs

Hello, I am not a Vegetarian, nor do I plan on becoming one, BUT I do however mostly eat Vegies & Fruits, for a few years when I was younger my mom switched over to being a Vegetarian and I with her, since she was the cook! ;)

I enjoyed the dishes, I've had some other really good veg dishes too, although I cannot cook. :( So wondering what your favorite dishes are out there for tofu and other lovely dishes!!

If your going to give me cooking instructions, plz remember to dumb it down for me. I really want to give some a good go.

I am not allergic to anything, and I am pretty open to eating most anything,

I LOVE, Artichokes, Squash, Zucchini, Cucumber, Tomatoes, Onion, Garlic, Olives, Peas, Broccoli, Spinach, Beets, Carrots, Celery, Hummus, Beans, Radishes, Cabbage Peppers, I can no longer find Fiddle Heads in the store (what is up with that!?!?), Corn, Turnip, Cauliflower, Lettuce, Potatoes, Pepper, Mushrooms, Eggplant, Scallions, Brussel Sprouts, Lettuce, Asparagus, Water Chesnuts, Shallots, Leeks, Avocado, Parsnips, Fennel, Yam, and Prob a whole more that I've never even heard of!!! *Licks Lips*

The only spices I have are salt, pepper, & curry powder, oh and cinnamon...haha

P.S. I don't eat alot of meat, and I rarely cook it because I cannot stand the way it smells when cooking it. So I have had problems with having a "healthy balance" of protein and what not..if I ever had to drink Soy Milk straight, it just wouldn't happen, I am wondering what your thoughts on rice, almond, and coconut milk is like for you? Any other types of milks for cooking lemme know, I am curious.

Thanks

Last edited:
It's great to find a section for fellow veggies, as out of all my friends and family I am the only one! I've been vegetarian since I was about 7 years old :)

Hey guys! I'm a new vegan (only converted a few weeks ago). Personally I've never really liked meat as much as everyone seemed to. I grew up with a vegetarian mum and I've always had a love for healthy food. I was planning on turning vegetarian, then I ended up reading a few books on factory farming and the meat industry. It really disturbed me in all honesty and I started substituting all my dairy with soy products and other vegan stuff. Lately I'm finding it pretty hard because I live with my family who are basically all meat-eaters. My mum thinks being a vegan is unhealthy and I feel like everyone thinks I'm stupid for doing it. It gets frustrating at times :( I'm also finding it hard to eat in general, when my parents are cooking food with meat and diary stuff.. hmm, anyone else have this problem?

So I'm just going to put a "hi" in here since.. I am.. in the process of becoming one since... Peter Singer owns my ass intelectually and I have yet to come up with a single good argument against his .... horribly superior intellect.. and I am utilitarian so what am I to do.. no matter how much I love my meat.. I am changing.. well.. hi and such! tuttles

Back