Vegetarian Diets

L

Lilyofthevalley

I'm currently not a vegetarian, but I am thinking of transitioning to a vegetarian lifestyle. What are the good points of the vegetarian diet? What are the bad points?

And if anyone has some healthy ideas for me, throw them my way!

:)

there are a lot o f really good resources on the web for a vegetarian lifestyle -- and helping to decide if it's right for you... Dont make the assumption that tis' a fast track to weight loss -because there are plenty of fat vegetarians.

Why do you want to be a vegetarian? What's your thought process behind it?

Are you going all-in with being a veggie head -and that's shunning leather goods as well?

There are levels of vegetarianism... some will eat fish, eggs, dairy - others are all veg all the time.

The downside to it - it can be tough to get in enough protein - there are a lot of veg sources of protein - like beans, tofu, nuts -but it takes osme planning....

Eating out - depending on how veg you decide to go - can be a challenge...

there are a lot o f really good resources on the web for a vegetarian lifestyle -- and helping to decide if it's right for you... Dont make the assumption that tis' a fast track to weight loss -because there are plenty of fat vegetarians.

Why do you want to be a vegetarian? What's your thought process behind it?

I know it's not a fast track to weight loss. I'd still be counting calories and such.
I've kind of had an issue with the cruelty aspect of meat for a while, but right now, I'd just like to introduce more veggies and plant-based protein to my diet.

Are you going all-in with being a veggie head -and that's shunning leather goods as well?

There are levels of vegetarianism... some will eat fish, eggs, dairy - others are all veg all the time.

The downside to it - it can be tough to get in enough protein - there are a lot of veg sources of protein - like beans, tofu, nuts -but it takes osme planning....

Eating out - depending on how veg you decide to go - can be a challenge...

I'm going to slowly transition by introducing more veggies to my diet, and see how far I can take it without being uncomfortable.

Thanks!!

Straight vegetables aren't much of a protein source... adding more vegetables is good no matter what you decide to do... but do make sure that you're getting enough protein - if not for your insides... appeal to vanity - your skin and hair will appreciate it :)

Thanks! Whattabout soy products like Boca or Morningstar? And tofu?

I've heard they provide a good amount of protein. The Veggie sausages I just bought have 13g Protein each!

:)

I myself fade in and out of pure vegetarian and pescetarian. Right now I'm on the pescetarian track (I do this when it is cold).

The boca Burgers and soy sausages taste good, but also be careful about eating too much of them, they are still processed foods. But they are tasty.

Tofu may be tough for someone just starting out. It is an acquired taste/texture. You really need to learn how to prepare it so it doesn't taste like a slimy sponge. Another good source of protine (Like mal said) is beans. They always taste good and can be put in many things.

Great sources mal.

My big pro is not eating animals. That's why I became vegetarian in the first place. An added pro to this is a few people eat less meat because of me. I didn't even have to do anything. They tried out what I was eating and realized it tastes good.

Another pro is it's easier protein without a lot of fat. I like Morning Star and Boca. I also like beans and lentils. I've never had a problem getting protein.

Not knowing where you live, you may have trouble eating out. When I first started (12 years ago) I had trouble and often ended up eating salad (which got tiring) or asking for a specially prepared meal. Some places, especially rib/steak houses, weren't very good at that. One place offered me a veggie platter that turned out to be a plate of semi-cooked greasy onions. That was gross. Now though, most restaurants, including rib/steak houses, offer vegetarian choices. Btw, I live in California.

Another con is the smell of meat may affect you. I find the smell of meat gross now. Sometimes it makes me nauseated, especially fish.

Huge garden - but what to grow?

Well all this is interesting for me as I'm planning in adopting a vegetarian lifestyle and in the midst of creating a big vegetable garden - and trying to have as many varieties of vegetables as I can (it's more of a bragging rights than anything). we have 6-7 different fruit trees (which is SOOOOO nice to have), and now on the vegetable band wagon.

In everything considered, i'm planning to grow 7-8 different varieties of vegetables in this garden (definitely tomato's/Broccoli and lettuce) but wanting to know from you guys what else would be needed to have a well rounded nutrient content...

Green vegetables are packed with minerals and vitamins. With fruits getting a lots of fibre.Vegetarian food is good for health.:iagree:

Vegetarian diets are more than good health, change the way you think about food,experiment and try new "meat free" food in your life.

Your health may also be dependent on various aspects like environment, inherited areas of expertise and the geographical area you live in. But all these aspects are just additional when compared to nutritional meals and exercise to look after yourself. So choose dieting plan which is low in fats articles, rich in natural vitamins and other nutrients. Make fruits and veggies a aspect of your routine meals and enjoy life!

Health and fitness has become a really crucial a part of your life during this fashionable age. currently folks have began to take the responsibility for one’s own health. One’s power rests on his ability to stay healthy. The health will have an effect on different relations additionally and may be an enormous issue within the lifestyle itself. therefore health and fitness ultimately influence every and each facet of the life.Vitamin D and C were added to Joint Juice, Supplement D aids the intake of other natural vitamins. Most people don’t received the adequate quantity of these two essential natural vitamins everyday.

Elder folks will improve their physical weaknesses through exercises. Diet and lifestyle additionally determines the health of an individual. There ought to be definite calories of food to be consumed for smart performance of human organs. Energy ought to be equipped during

a} very economical manner to every and each organ to perform individual tasks. therefore there are importances for vitamins, minerals, carbo hydrates, proteins etc in our food habits. Fat content within the food will result in accumulation of cholesterol and ruin your health.

All types of diets--vegetarian or non-vegetarian--have potential health risks as well as associated benefits. My patients frequently ask me questions about the most nutritious foods, and positive aspects and the dangers of different types of diets, particularly vegetarian and vegan.

Is a vegetarian or vegan diet the healthiest diet for my family?

What are the drawbacks of a vegetarian diet?

What are the drawbacks of an omnivorous diet?

Is a vegetarian or vegan diet safe for children?

Is an omnivorous diet safe for children?

It takes a little more creativity to go veggie style but there are many things you can do to replace meat. I'm not a big fan of the soy trend so I tend to stick to beans, grains (quinoa, brown rice) seeds like flax, sesame, hemp, etc. There are many great recipes you can make (I'll share more here as time goes on). The truth is that people have been brain washed into thinking they need WAY more protein than they really need (you only need about 8 to 10% of your total caloric intake daily to be protein). If you're hitting the weight training hard then about 15 to 20% max.

There are no real down sides to going veggie other than getting used to doing things differently. I've been a meat eater for years so it has been a challenge to transition. I still eat meat about 2 to 3 times per month so I have not gone total veg yet. Be sure to own a good food processor, vitamix blender, and a juicer.

Live and be well, going veg helps you have more energy and vitality.

Hey Tim, can you please provide a study or some evidence to back up your statement about protein requirements? I'm not trying to say that I think you're wrong, but I'm interested in learning about it. And I think it's important to back up these types of statements so that people don't change their diets simply because "someone on a forum said so."

Thanks!

It came from Yuri Elkaim's book Eating for Energy. He's a certified nutritionist, exercise kinesiologist and raw foodist. I'm sure there are others who have said this and I'll let you know what else I find. When the Atkins diet came out everyone got brainwashed by the high protein thing and it just stuck. The RIGHT sources of protein are the key. Beans, grains like quinoa, chick peas, (all non animal protein sources) are better for the body. Animal proteins build up in your digestive system and prevent the body from absorbing the nutrients it needs from food. This is just what I have read from this one source, so I'll try to find other sources that back up this claim. I just know it makes sense to me because I have SO much MORE energy since I started eating a raw food diet.

That's awesome that you have a lot more energy since starting your diet plan! These types of things are difficult because in general, our bodies have a harder time getting protein from plant sources, but yes, on the flip side, eating too many animal-based foods may have negative effects on the body.

Just like your example of the Atkins diet, just be careful to only get your information from one source. Also keep in mind that "nutritionist" is not a regulated profession, so being a certified nutritionist could really mean anything.

Looking forward to seeing those sources... I will look into it as well if I get a chance!

Thanks for the kind words! I'm happy to contribute here!

Here is a link from webmd, a pretty reputable source: They say 10 to 35% but they mention animal protein sources. Between 45 and 56 grams per day but it really depends on your weight and how active you are. I'll report anything else I find as it seems there is still more digging to do.

Here are some of the best sources of plant based protein that I know of...

Quinoa = 11g per cup

Lentils = 17.9g per cup

Tempeh (the non- fermented cousin of tofu) is 24g in 4 oz.

Beans (Black, Kidney, Mung, Pinto): 12-15g per Cup

Hemp seeds = 16g in 3 Tbsp

Live and be well,

Tim

Originally Posted by rawfoodtim

It came from Yuri Elkaim's book Eating for Energy. He's a certified nutritionist, exercise kinesiologist and raw foodist. I'm sure there are others who have said this and I'll let you know what else I find. When the Atkins diet came out everyone got brainwashed by the high protein thing and it just stuck. The RIGHT sources of protein are the key. Beans, grains like quinoa, chick peas, (all non animal protein sources) are better for the body. Animal proteins build up in your digestive system and prevent the body from absorbing the nutrients it needs from food. This is just what I have read from this one source, so I'll try to find other sources that back up this claim. I just know it makes sense to me because I have SO much MORE energy since I started eating a raw food diet.

I would also love to see more studies or information based on your claims.

There are many vegan diet benefits and the reasons why someone would become a vegan are as diverse as the people themselves. Some do it because they are concerned about the treatment of animals that are raised exclusively for food. Others do it because raising animals for food can actually create a very large and negative impact on our planet and still others do it for health reasons. No matter what your reasons are for becoming a vegan, there are many benefits you'll be happy to know about.

Even if you are converting to veganism more for the purpose of going green than a concern over health issues, there are still a lot of benefits you will be able to enjoy:

One of the most profound benefits is a decrease in blood sugar levels. With diabetes a skyrocketing disease in our country, this one change can make a lot of difference. If you are a diabetic, you must talk to your doctor first, before you make any diet changes. Make sure he thinks it's a good idea. If he gives you the go ahead, he should also be able to refer you to someone who can help you with the transition and help you prepare a meal plan....[Link Removed - Please see the forum rules about links].

Back