Time for Jenefer to Finally Figure this Out!

I wonder if it might work to your advantage a bit always having it be a bit of a struggle to lose. Like you know what you are up against and how to do it, and you know you've had success with it in the past...You sound very determined and it's so great that you sound very capable with your workouts.
Do you count calories?
Also do you take measurements besides weighing in? I find it encouraging to do measurements because sometimes there will be no change with my weight but my body fat is improving.

Your dogs are so lovely and sweet!!
Noooo I don't think there is any advantage to knowing what I am up against, it actually makes me feel like it is so daunting that I can't wrap my head around it. And I really don't know how I did it, I really do not. That sounds silly when I read it though.

1. One time I fell in love and the weight dropped off. First real boyfriend kind of thing. (1991)

2. Another time (2001) I quit a job where I was working easily 60 hours a week to start what I thought was a more reasonable job. I gained a significant amount of weight during the 1 year I worked that 60 hour a week job. I worked my literal a$$ off, took diet pills ( a big no no no now) and went to the gym every day. That one was hard! I will say that once I got to 150 pounds everything kind of sped up from there. Getting out of the 160's was AWFUL. I landed at about 125. Stayed between 125-145 for many years. I think typically about 135, 145 was the upper end of things.

3. The third time (2007), I was not significantly over weight at all and the weight just fell OFF until I was really SKINNY! The gym where I worked out closed, it was hard to get there any way I didn't like leaving my dogs, so I started running.

I don't do measurements, I think it would just be too time consuming for me. And fitting things in really does stress me and when I get stressed I am a 'stress grazer.' My tastes have changed, it used to be sweets now it is chips/salty things. If I could recluse myself from the rest of the world (just me and the fur babies for about 4 months) no work, no expectations I feel very certain the weight would literally fall off. This has actually helped me a lot to write this Liza! Because now I remember a 4th time I know I lost some weight, just not exactly how much!

4. I stopped working for 10 months after the sociopathic boss (I worked for that company for 17 years and the first 12 were good until she arrived and then every single person who worked for her quit!) and put zero pressure on my self to find a job for the entire time. I gained some weight during the last year with her (2017). It got bad, like I had an attorney bad. So I was very stressed. It helped very much when I heard she had some kind of a melt-down 4 months later and quit! Also that I was very proud of myself for the things I said to her during our last interaction. I can be churning on the inside, but look very calm, cool and collected on the outside. William really marvels at that.

Anyway, I took my time learning some new computer skills, worked out daily (but not like hard crazy work outs) and ate eggs, turkey bacon and fruit for breakfast. A very light lunch and then whatever for dinner. There was zero stress grazing and I went from a size 14 to a size 8 or 10. A lot of my work clothes were too big. Fast forward 5 years later and I am back where I was. No sociopath boss or anything, just a lot to learn and once I got the job I wanted to 'earn a place' like the one I had in my previous job. It became important to me that she didn't take anything from me, that in the end I was better off than I was before. I am better off, but I see now that came at a price.

Until this moment I have never analyzed/ documented a chronology of my weight ups and downs over the past 32 years. Probably because I really do not like thinking about it. Also there are so many years in between things that the pattern was not easy to see. But this has been very helpful with zeroing in on my issue.

So I get very stressed about apparently performing well? Like in school I was in rather academically challenging classes and wanted to do well. Maybe I also get very focused and everything else falls away. When the organization I work for switched to a new computer system, all hell broke lodse and I was working some SERIOUS hours. Anytime I end up in a situation where so much time is needed for work to go well, I seem to always let that take over my life. There is a lot more to say about that, but I think I will leave it for now. Maybe one day I will explore this more here.

I really never quite put all of this together, so again Liza, thank you for your visit and question! I had to think why I didn't know the answer and why I felt sort of queasy at the thought of thinking that I really do not know how I did it before. That doesn't mean I totally know how to do it again. I mean I know what needs to be done, but setting boundaries and not taking charge of work projects is hard for me.

I do intend to weigh myself more, I haven't been doing that either, and I think facing the fact of the scale is unfortunately needed. I know that is very different for everyone, for some folks it would not be a good thing. I have learned I have a tendency to think "oh let me get this under control and then when I lose a bit, I will see the 'reasonable' damage and be able to address it" Wellll apparently unless I am in a situation like when I took the 10 months off and had zero stress, that I am never able to get things under control without facing the facts of what is happening.

I am determined, but losing this much weight is indeed feeling quite daunting!

Tonight we are going out to dinner and I am pleased with my outfit. Jeans I bought that were too big 2 years ago, but seem to fit just fine now, lol! And a really pretty summer tank top that is flowy in the right places and fitted in the right places. William saw me and said I looked 'youthful and stylish' so I think I will take that compliment. Did the full make-up too. I am realizing that for me, making a bit of an effort feels good. I used to do that 5 days a week when I went to the office. It is a mental thing, like making a bit of an effort is needed to lose 40-50 pounds!

Oh and before I go, I did weigh myself and I am down 4 pounds, 173. And I have no idea why exactly. Must have been the grapes I ate. I did that and thought of you Cate! I thought about how being healthy and giving my body good nutrients was the right thing to do and I hoped that you were doing the same thing! I know that is a big part of your journey in the next 6 months and I do realize it is an important part of mine too.

Thank you all for being here, I am finding it immeasurably helpful! xo

Lola and Casper are both adorable!!

This really made me chuckle.
Thank you Em! Casper reminds me of a big puffy cloud, he really is so cute. I can't wait to see him and Lola together.

The idea of retirement sure does make me smile. There better be some bloody benefit to getting older! 😊

I can't open the Casper pic for some reason. The forum is really playing up at the moment.
I might start adding some step work I think.
Yay for a 4 day weekend. You will love retirement. I know I do!

I can't open the Casper pic for some reason. The forum is really playing up at the moment.
I might start adding some step work I think.
Yay for a 4 day weekend. You will love retirement. I know I do!
Something went wrong with the picture Cate, it was there, but then now it is not. So I put a new one up 😊 I love step aerobics Cate, it is so fun! I like a woman who has videos on YouTube. CDorner Fitness. All kinds of videos to choose from, step and other ones too. I had not done it in years, but started again every now and then about a year ago.

I have no doubt I will love it, glad you are loving it now!

Noooo I don't think there is any advantage to knowing what I am up against, it actually makes me feel like it is so daunting that I can't wrap my head around it. And I really don't know how I did it, I really do not. That sounds silly when I read it though.

1. One time I fell in love and the weight dropped off. First real boyfriend kind of thing. (1991)

2. Another time (2001) I quit a job where I was working easily 60 hours a week to start what I thought was a more reasonable job. I gained a significant amount of weight during the 1 year I worked that 60 hour a week job. I worked my literal a$$ off, took diet pills ( a big no no no now) and went to the gym every day. That one was hard! I will say that once I got to 150 pounds everything kind of sped up from there. Getting out of the 160's was AWFUL. I landed at about 125. Stayed between 125-145 for many years. I think typically about 135, 145 was the upper end of things.

3. The third time (2007), I was not significantly over weight at all and the weight just fell OFF until I was really SKINNY! The gym where I worked out closed, it was hard to get there any way I didn't like leaving my dogs, so I started running.

I don't do measurements, I think it would just be too time consuming for me. And fitting things in really does stress me and when I get stressed I am a 'stress grazer.' My tastes have changed, it used to be sweets now it is chips/salty things. If I could recluse myself from the rest of the world (just me and the fur babies for about 4 months) no work, no expectations I feel very certain the weight would literally fall off. This has actually helped me a lot to write this Liza! Because now I remember a 4th time I know I lost some weight, just not exactly how much!

4. I stopped working for 10 months after the sociopathic boss (I worked for that company for 17 years and the first 12 were good until she arrived and then every single person who worked for her quit!) and put zero pressure on my self to find a job for the entire time. I gained some weight during the last year with her (2017). It got bad, like I had an attorney bad. So I was very stressed. It helped very much when I heard she had some kind of a melt-down 4 months later and quit! Also that I was very proud of myself for the things I said to her during our last interaction. I can be churning on the inside, but look very calm, cool and collected on the outside. William really marvels at that.

Anyway, I took my time learning some new computer skills, worked out daily (but not like hard crazy work outs) and ate eggs, turkey bacon and fruit for breakfast. A very light lunch and then whatever for dinner. There was zero stress grazing and I went from a size 14 to a size 8 or 10. A lot of my work clothes were too big. Fast forward 5 years later and I am back where I was. No sociopath boss or anything, just a lot to learn and once I got the job I wanted to 'earn a place' like the one I had in my previous job. It became important to me that she didn't take anything from me, that in the end I was better off than I was before. I am better off, but I see now that came at a price.

Until this moment I have never analyzed/ documented a chronology of my weight ups and downs over the past 32 years. Probably because I really do not like thinking about it. Also there are so many years in between things that the pattern was not easy to see. But this has been very helpful with zeroing in on my issue.

So I get very stressed about apparently performing well? Like in school I was in rather academically challenging classes and wanted to do well. Maybe I also get very focused and everything else falls away. When the organization I work for switched to a new computer system, all hell broke lodse and I was working some SERIOUS hours. Anytime I end up in a situation where so much time is needed for work to go well, I seem to always let that take over my life. There is a lot more to say about that, but I think I will leave it for now. Maybe one day I will explore this more here.

I really never quite put all of this together, so again Liza, thank you for your visit and question! I had to think why I didn't know the answer and why I felt sort of queasy at the thought of thinking that I really do not know how I did it before. That doesn't mean I totally know how to do it again. I mean I know what needs to be done, but setting boundaries and not taking charge of work projects is hard for me.

I do intend to weigh myself more, I haven't been doing that either, and I think facing the fact of the scale is unfortunately needed. I know that is very different for everyone, for some folks it would not be a good thing. I have learned I have a tendency to think "oh let me get this under control and then when I lose a bit, I will see the 'reasonable' damage and be able to address it" Wellll apparently unless I am in a situation like when I took the 10 months off and had zero stress, that I am never able to get things under control without facing the facts of what is happening.

I am determined, but losing this much weight is indeed feeling quite daunting!

Tonight we are going out to dinner and I am pleased with my outfit. Jeans I bought that were too big 2 years ago, but seem to fit just fine now, lol! And a really pretty summer tank top that is flowy in the right places and fitted in the right places. William saw me and said I looked 'youthful and stylish' so I think I will take that compliment. Did the full make-up too. I am realizing that for me, making a bit of an effort feels good. I used to do that 5 days a week when I went to the office. It is a mental thing, like making a bit of an effort is needed to lose 40-50 pounds!

Oh and before I go, I did weigh myself and I am down 4 pounds, 173. And I have no idea why exactly. Must have been the grapes I ate. I did that and thought of you Cate! I thought about how being healthy and giving my body good nutrients was the right thing to do and I hoped that you were doing the same thing! I know that is a big part of your journey in the next 6 months and I do realize it is an important part of mine too.

Thank you all for being here, I am finding it immeasurably helpful! xo

Thank you for taking the time to write all that out. It's really helpful for me to see other people's thought processes around these things.

Down 4 pounds! That's great!
And yes, thank you for sharing all your thought processes--very interesting read.

I did weigh myself and I am down 4 pounds, 173. And I have no idea why exactly.
Good for you! Short term it is often hard to understand a few pounds of weight gain or loss, but 4 pounds is significant. You are doing something right!

I read through your ups and downs story, thanks for that. I could write something similar, but my ups and downs have involved a lot more pounds than yours. I have heard people like us called polymorphs, always changing size and shape. Let's see if we can figure out have to stop (or limit) it!

Hello Everyone!
Thank you for taking the time to read "the history of Jen's weight loss and gain" :) Rob polymorphs is hilarious! I have 1 walk-in closet, 1 small bedroom that I turned into a closet and 2 of those kind of sliding door closets. I think I have finally gotten rid of the size 2 and 4 clothes. But I think I still have sizes 6-14. It is like a small store!

Dinner out was nice Em, thank you! We went for Mexican Food and I got the healthiest thing on the menu, chicken fajitas. No chips and salsa for me either!

I am pretty happy about the 4 pounds. I very much hope it continues! It would be nice to see the 160's. We are going on vacation soon. Not sure much weight loss will happen, but hopefully no weight gain!

Did everyone do something nice for yourself today? I hope you did! xo

"Oh and before I go, I did weigh myself and I am down 4 pounds, 173. And I have no idea why exactly. Must have been the grapes I ate. I did that and thought of you Cate! I thought about how being healthy and giving my body good nutrients was the right thing to do and I hoped that you were doing the same thing! I know that is a big part of your journey in the next 6 months and I do realize it is an important part of mine too."
I somehow missed this post yesterday. I think I got side-tracked with dog talk :blush5:
I feel that if I concentrate on providing my body with healthy nutrition & exercise, especially outdoors, then I am doing the right thing by myself.
I wish I had kept a lot of my clothes! I'm a declutterer & polymorph. The only backup sizes I have are smaller ones :(
Casper is adorable :beating:

Sounds like a good idea keeping all the sizes around...no sense in having to re-buy stuff every time!

Hope it's not long till you get into the swingin' 60s! The dinner out sounded lovely, I do enjoy a chicken fajita.

It is easy to get side-tracked with dog talk Cate :) I have to say that everyone wants to pet Casper when we take him for a walk! Thankfully it seems a lot of my older clothes are still pretty stylish, so it is indeed nice to have all the options, but it does take a lot of space! I did lol when I pulled out the jeans to wear last weekend and thought "yep that is why when I received them from Amazon that I didn't return them!"

Thank you Em, the dinner was nice! Date nights are important ;)

I still feel very resolved to "get this done!" Ate well today and quite a good workout. Hour long fast paced walk with 2lb hand weights. 40 minute step video. 10 minute abs. Inner-thigh exercises and 100 wall push-ups. It really is easier to fit more in when I have the day off. I did work for a bit though, but mostly because I am going on vacation and spending a couple hours today will make things easier. BUT I did not go overboard and it really was because I could knock it out quickly with no interruptions. I WILL keep in mind how working a lot of extra hours has consistently led to weight gain and remember that I was able to maintain a reasonable weight much more easily when I had better balance!

And what did I do nice for myself today...eye lash extensions! She used a different lash. They still look very natural but have a bit of vavava voom! All in all a peaceful and productive day. I am always grateful for those, I desperately want more of them. They really are the key to my happiness. I have never been a great 'lover' of all the highs in life. I think for 1 there seems to be the inevitable low that comes from the high ending. I also think that there are not that many huge significant good things that happen in life. I remember once sitting around with a group of women before an exercise class was supposed to start. They were all talking about things they wanted. One of them was in the process of buying a huge house, her husband was so nervous about the cost he literally was having chest pains. Other people wanted different things. Vacations, new cars, jewelry etc. When they asked me without even missing a beat, I said I want peace. I want inner peace and a peaceful life.

So I will be grateful for this day and hope for more. Hope you all had a good one too! xo

That's a beautiful answer to that question, Jen. I definitely want inner peace too but I also want love and to get back to a normal weight. Hahaha.

I like what you wrote Llama, the depth is indeed what matters! I had never thought to phrase it that way! Em I think part of the path to inner peace is love and a normal weight!

Looong day today, feeling a bit tired! I did get my workout in, added another step video in, it was fun. Ate pretty okay as well.

Good night all or good morning, depending on where you live :) hope everyone is doing well! xo

I suppose if we had perfect inner peace we wouldn't worry about being at a less than perfect weight - but then my weight wouldn't fluctuate nearly as much if I had more inner peace in the first place :D

Well done on getting the step video in. What nice thing did you do for yourself today, Jen? Mine was that I ate my healthy packed lunch! :)

Llama what you wrote did make me laugh and I needed it. It was not only funny it was true! :)

Hey there Em! Good for you that you ate your healthy lunch! I thought of you today, I went to a goodbye luncheon for a co-worker. I was kind of nervous, social things aren't always in my comfort zone. So I thought...this is the kind of situation where Em would excel and write about it! You can do it Jen...manifest! I did know several people and then several others were nice to talk to! AND I did not eat any of the cookies that were there! So that was nice for myself in a way :) But I think what I really did that was nice for myself was take the time to get dressed-up. I wore a very pretty and flattering dress, got a compliment from one of the other women there when I walked in. I was in a hurry, but I said...no, stop for 45 minutes! Take the time to invest in looking nice, so I feel would feel nice.

But now I feel EXHAUSTED because a social butterfly, I am not! And there was so much work to do when the party was over!

Workout was rather short this morning, eating was not bad...so all in all not too bad a day.

I hope everyone had a good day too! xo

Investing the time and energy to make something uncomfortable-but-useful easier is an excellent thing. Socializing in groups, especially when a lot of the people are strangers, just kills me so kudos to you.

Back