the benefits of HIIT

spockafina said:
omg he's the laziest bum ever. I don't think I'll ever see him run or lift a weight in his lifetime. The main reason he enjoys hiking/mountain biking and such is because we're in the middle of the woods and can take a break to smoke some ganja w/o anyone around.

That sounds like my wife. Except for the whole ganja smoking thing. Hell she's tried quitting smoking cigarettes 9 times since we've been married (little over 3 years now). She has no willpower :(

ok call me stupid, but what is "HIIT" I havent been on for a few weeks and now i'm seeing alot of this in the posts. can someone explain please???? sounds interesting

HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training
Short name: intervals

Basically consists of alternating intervals of rest and high intensity activity. The idea behind it is to activiate particular energy-utilizing systems in the body. Ideally, this system of training allows you to burn as much fat (if that's your goal) in 1/3rd the time per workout of other systems.

can anyone here do 45-60 minutes HIIT? If so, what's your intensity to rest ratio like? I am asking because I want to start doing HIIT, instead of doing the moderate cardio for 45 minutes routine. I wasn't burnin as much fat as I thought I would. Also, HIIT I heard is beneficial if you're a weight lifter, correct? as in gaining muscle because it raises T levels? Many thanks

I would seriously doubt anyone can truly pump out 45-60 minutes of a true HIIT session for cardio. Generally if you want to burn some fat, hit up 3 HIIT sessions a week at 15-25 minutes.

Start with 15 sec sprinting and 60 sec jogging and go for 15 minutes. If you find that your endurance allows for more, up it another 5 minutes, up your sprinting by 5 sec, and cut your jog time to 45 sec.

HIIT, like weight lifting is an anaerobic activity and will benefit your T levels.

FIL,
thanks for explaining that. it really looks interesting and i think i'll give it a try. of course at the 15 minute mark. when i first began running i would kind of do that type of thing. i'd walk a few minutes, run one. and increase it over a few weeks time and by then i was running maybe 20 minutes and covered 2 miles so i was pretty psyched.
needless to say, this is gonna be fun for me. i havent really been running or even jogging :( but this is a great way to start improving in a few areas with me.
thanks again. i'm loving this site.... ;)

beanie

aevans410 - when you do your HIIT session for the day do you do anything else?

Back