Starvation, Calories, and Adaptations

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hometown is Kutztown in Berks County and I go to college in York. How come? Are you from PA?

I did live in Montgomery county. My old house was actually right on the lines of Chester, Berks and Montgomery.

A year ago though, I moved back into Chester County which is where I grew up. I don't live terribly far from Owen J. Roberts High School... not sure if you are familiar with that.

I don't live terribly far from Owen J. Roberts High School... not sure if you are familiar with that.

I can't say I do, sorry! I'm a little lost when it comes to south of Reading. I can tell you anything about Allentown or York though lol.

Thanks for taking your time to break it down for us. Honestly I didn't really understand how it worked and this really helped me!

You're welcome :)

And going forward, if you don't understand something or want clarification on something, just ask. There's generally someone on this forum who knows enough about a particular question to answer it well.

And going forward, if you don't understand something or want clarification on something, just ask. There's generally someone on this forum who knows enough about a particular question to answer it well.

Agreed! That's why this place is pretty great lol

Put it this way... my house is about 20 minutes east of Reading.

So out towards Pottstown and Boyertown? Geez I must have been at least in a 10 min radius from you in some point in my life. Isn't that bizarre?! lol

I have a Pottstown address, believe it or not. But I don't live "in town" thank goodness. I live out in the sticks off rt. 23.

And I'm slowly giving away my location in a sticky so all the crazies can come find me and kidnap me.

Brave is often confused for stupid.

But if you want to find my address, it's not like it's hard. Given my website and my presence on the web... it would be quite easy.

Brave is often confused for stupid.

But if you want to find my address, it's not like it's hard. Given my website and my presence on the web... it would be quite easy.

lol @Kara too. Seriously though!! I was thinking about deleting this account because my username has been used so much on the internet and it's like attached to my name since I've had it so long as an AIM account. I had an issue a couple of nights ago with how many hits I got on google with my real name and this one.. freaks me out. Any crazes could just snatch us all up! Spooky.. not that I'm paranoid or anything. :D Sorry for giving up your living area, Steve. You should be under some branch of the witness protection program now lol jk.

Hi Steve

I've come down to a 176 from 240 in eight months and my target is 120 in another 8months or so. But am constantly worried about getting stuck at a certain point and then giving up!!

I am trying to consume 1600-1800 Cals per day but at times it goes more and then less.Its a very low fat n low carb diet. 2-3dayz I eat a lot (dunno why ), and then I start eating very less cos I get worried that I might gain.Also, am going to da gym 5 days a week for 90 mins or so plus half an hr walks in da evening.

I am seriously worried!! sum1 suggested me fat burnerz and whey pwd to lose more...pls can u temme what to do?

Right now da only goal ov my life is to lose weight!I dun wanna give up

First, tell me more about you.

Male or female? Considering your goal weight, I'd assume/hope female.

Height?

Health problems?

I've come down to a 176 from 240 in eight months and my target is 120 in another 8months or so.

Congrats on the weight loss so far.

I'm curious why 120 lbs if your goal?

But am constantly worried about getting stuck at a certain point and then giving up!!

Well that's illogical. This is a trap many fall into and it comes down to a lack of management of expectations. We know weight loss is not a linear process. We know that at times, even when everything is in check, weight will stall.

Knowing this, why would you give up when it happens?

It's simply part of the process.

I am trying to consume 1600-1800 Cals per day but at times it goes more and then less.Its a very low fat n low carb diet. 2-3dayz I eat a lot (dunno why ), and then I start eating very less cos I get worried that I might gain.

If I'm being frank, it seems you have an unhealthy relationship with food. If you're constantly bingeing than trying to make up for it... this is a very bad cycle to be in.

It would be best to find out why this cycle exists.

Maybe you're being too rigid with your diet and that sets off too much temptation and cravings so you end up bingeing and than getting very strict again, thus the cycle perpetuates. Could that be?

If so, why are you being so strict? Why very low fat and carbs?

How are you tracking calories and nutrients?

Also, am going to da gym 5 days a week for 90 mins or so plus half an hr walks in da evening.

What are you doing in the gym?

I am seriously worried!! sum1 suggested me fat burnerz and whey pwd to lose more...pls can u temme what to do?

You don't have grasp of the basics yet. Why turn to supplements. IF supplements are to be used, they only make sense if they're going to supplement an already dialed in "plan."

If you don't know enough and are emotionally all over the place right now... supplements are the last thing you need to be thinking about.

There are no quick fixes.

And even if you were to use supplements, their results, if any, are negligible.

Yes, I am a 5 feet 3 inches female. No clinical problems as such.

Umm wots wrong wid keepin 120 as a goal? I keep short term goals like by end ov Oct I wanna be 160 and on new yrz 150. It keeps me motivated and when I achieve it I feel confident and happy. I think its an achievable target..dun ya think so too?

I am not taking help of any experts hence am more anxious. I dunno wotz ryt n wots wrong but am following wotever I hear from others or read in articles,and have lost weight so far. But am constantly worried if am doing da correct things or not.

Yes you are right about my being strict at times but honestly I dont trust myself wid food lol

I have done a course in Nutrition hence I have some idea abt calories n blabla so I calculate roughly. I heard some seminars on you tube abt various diets n stuff and my conclusion was to follow a low fat low carb high protein diet. I have cut down all sugars and am eating lots of fruits n veggies. I tend to eat a lot at dinner and almost everyone tells me it aint ryt.

At gym, am doing treadmill, stepper and cycling for 10 mins each. Then some weights for lower body (my basic fat deposit area) and arms for 30 mins. Rest 30 mins I do floor excersices like squats, crunches, abs and little yoga.

Recently, my fat has become kinda lose and looks like some jelly hanging from arms...looks horrible I tell ya!! umm what shud I do for dat?

Thanks for all da help:)

Sowie to write in again, I juz read ur 'rant' in some other forum. Little little I understood lol

Could you please temme something abt how to increase my metabolism? I am a vegetarian . I eat 4 meals a day. But I tend to munch a lot in between like a biscuit here and there.

I have somehow lost weight(60lbs) but only little in inches. There are people in my gym who weigh much more than I do, but look thinner than me.

Losing weight now means a lot to me. Earlier I dunno why I had dis crazy attitude dat If sum1 accepts me , he has to accept me juz like dis..like da way I am. But now, I am not doing dis for any1 else but for myself. I really wanna lose weight and look gud . I owe it to myself

Thanku for listenin

First things first... what's your age?

I don't mean to sound rude, but from the looks of your writing (not spelling out the words, abbreviating everything, etc) you seem to be a minor.

Is this the case?

If not, can you please spell out your words. I'm young, but thankfully never fell into the trap where I'm using a bastardized version the English language stemming from technology and teenagers and if I'm being frank, that crap annoys the heck out of me.

Umm wots wrong wid keepin 120 as a goal? I keep short term goals like by end ov Oct I wanna be 160 and on new yrz 150. It keeps me motivated and when I achieve it I feel confident and happy. I think its an achievable target..dun ya think so too?

I never said there was something wrong with it.

I am not taking help of any experts hence am more anxious.

Most people lose weight without the help of experts.

Most experts are not expert in what they claim to be expert in.

I dunno wotz ryt n wots wrong but am following wotever I hear from others or read in articles,and have lost weight so far.

Losing weight is simply about eating less calories than your body needs. That's it.

That said, as long as the above is in place... anything will work.

However, you have to be careful how you define "work." Some people solely rely on the scale as a metric of progress and that's pretty inaccurate. The goal is to lose fat. Not weight. Weight is comprised of a lot more than fat.

It's losing the right things while maintaining the right things the leads to a) feeling better and b) looking better.

But am constantly worried if am doing da correct things or not.

Read all the stickies on this forum and my forum and you'll know more than most any dieter first starting out.

Seriously.

Yes you are right about my being strict at times but honestly I dont trust myself wid food lol

Here's a hint.

If what you're doing isn't working, try other things. There are no One Right Ways of going about this.

If you're bingeing, things most likely aren't structured right and even though you're losing weight... your relationship with food sucks so I'd say things aren't working.

Why not create a balanced diet that is calorically controlled and satiating to better avoid bingeing?

I have done a course in Nutrition hence I have some idea abt calories n blabla so I calculate roughly. I heard some seminars on you tube abt various diets n stuff and my conclusion was to follow a low fat low carb high protein diet. I have cut down all sugars and am eating lots of fruits n veggies.

Well that sounds healthy but it's hard to say.

Very simply... and I'd typically tell you to simply read the stickies on this forum and my own b/c this is all discussed in these places:

1. Set calorie goal
2. Set protein at 1 gram per pound of goal bodyweight
3. Set fat at approximately 25-30% of total calories
4. Fill the rest of your caloric goal with carbs and/or more fat.

That's my philosophy in a nutshell.

Protein sources include chicken breast, turkey breast, pork tenderloin, fish, lean ground beef, lean cuts of steak, eggs, low/no fat dairy, protein powder, etc

Fat sources include fish, fish oil supps, flax, avocados, nuts, natural peanut butter, olive oil, etc

Carb sources include plenty of fibrous veggies, fruits, whole wheat breads/pastas, rice, oats, yams, potatoes, etc

With regards to #4 above, how much of the remaining caloric allotment is comprised of carbs and/or fats is really an individual thing. Some people do well with more carbs, some do not.

There are no blanket right and wrongs that apply to everyone here.

I tend to eat a lot at dinner and almost everyone tells me it aint ryt

I'm not sure why that wouldn't be right.

At gym, am doing treadmill, stepper and cycling for 10 mins each. Then some weights for lower body (my basic fat deposit area) and arms for 30 mins. Rest 30 mins I do floor excersices like squats, crunches, abs and little yoga.

Here's a big hint:

You can't spot reduce fat using specific weight exercises. I'm not going to get into weight training specifics as the basics are covered in excruciating detail in the stickies of both forums.

Recently, my fat has become kinda lose and looks like some jelly hanging from arms...looks horrible I tell ya!! umm what shud I do for dat?

Nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back