Sources for Protein

Lula, indian cooking, like every cuisine, can go from very basic to very complex, and simple recipes don't have to compromise on flavor. Get yourself a spice rack and that's pretty much all you need to begin with :)

Im also a vegetarian and I use protein powders to help substitue the missing protein in my diet. The one I have been currently using is , not only does it take great by it is also low in fat and sugar.

I know what you mean about trying to find some low cal/fat protein options... i've seen some of the nutrition content of some of the protein bars they sell and i was like woahhhh no thanks!! :)

Obviously lean meats like turkey & chicken are a good choice. whether it be some slices on whole wheat bread for lunch or throwing some of those "purdue short cuts" they sell at the grocery store, and tossing them onto a salad... salmon and tuna are good too.

Also for breakfast i eat quaker weight control oatmeal which has 7g of protein and helps me to stay full for 4-5 hours..

If you want shakes, they have these cans they sell at trader joe's (if you have one near you)..the brand is called Worldwide and they sell it in both chocolate and vanilla.. 21g protein with only 100 calories and .5 g fat (they sell the 35g protein ones at gnc, etc but that one has higher cals)

good luck!

For a cheap snack with a lot of protein I usually have some beef jerky. It does have a lot of sodium but you can usually find some with only 15% of your daily allowance in a serving. I think it has 14 - 16g of protein in each serving.

If you are a vegetarian like me, eat all the kidney beans and nuts and depending on what kind of veggie u r, milk and cheese! Then ofcourse don't forget to exercise and burn off the extra calories! lol

I know what you mean about trying to find some low cal/fat protein options... i've seen some of the nutrition content of some of the protein bars they sell and i was like woahhhh no thanks!! :)

Obviously lean meats like turkey & chicken are a good choice. whether it be some slices on whole wheat bread for lunch or throwing some of those "purdue short cuts" they sell at the grocery store, and tossing them onto a salad... salmon and tuna are good too.

Also for breakfast i eat quaker weight control oatmeal which has 7g of protein and helps me to stay full for 4-5 hours..

If you want shakes, they have these cans they sell at trader joe's (if you have one near you)..the brand is called Worldwide and they sell it in both chocolate and vanilla.. 21g protein with only 100 calories and .5 g fat (they sell the 35g protein ones at gnc, etc but that one has higher cals)

good luck!

how r those shakes tastewise?

Hi everyone,

Im new but I wanted to add my 2 1/2 cents worth. If you do decide to add protien shakes to your diet, don't forget these have calories. Second, not only can protein be turned to muscle, it can also be turned to fat if you get more then you need. Another thing to think about is that to much protein is hard on the kidneys also.

The best Idea if your not body building is to eat a balence diet. you should get all you need. The recommended amount of protein is .8 grams of protein for every kg (2.2 lbs) of body weight.

Hope that helps

Second, not only can protein be turned to muscle, it can also be turned to fat if you get more then you need.

Too much protein won't turn into fat.

Too many calories will.

In the presence of a caloric deficit, no amount of protein in the world in the context of said deficit is going to add fat.

Another thing to think about is that to much protein is hard on the kidneys also.

High protein diets aren't shown to have a negative impact on kidney function without prior medical condition.

The best Idea if your not body building is to eat a balence diet. you should get all you need. The recommended amount of protein is .8 grams of protein for every kg (2.2 lbs) of body weight.

I don't agree with this.... directing this at the OP and anyone else who's reading this. This would be adequate for a fatter person. Leaner, not so much in most cases.

A pool of aminos in the bloodstream will always be used preferentially over existing muscle, so creating that pool while in an energetic deficit is in most cases, going to take more protein than your suggestion here.

Just a quick reply

according to the American College of sports medicine, the american dietetic association, the dietitions of canada, the average health person need only .8 grans per kg. and an endurance athlete may need as much as 1.2

According to the Department of ag, and the department od health and human services, the average healthy male at 174 lbs needs only 63 grams a day and they indicate this number is high.

According to the american college of sports medicine and the american heart assosiation, to much protien can be converted to fat. If you ad 2 protien shakes a day to get an additional 40 grams of protien and each shake has as much as 200 cals, there goes your calorie deficit.

I do agree that prtiein ia a great sup for athletes and exercisers. I was only cautioning him not to over do it. As I sure you are aware, so many people get something in there head that they heard somewhere and as far as they are concerned its law. I have seen it posted before that a prson may need as high as 3 grams per lbs.

As for protien being hard on the liver, ccording to the Department of ag, the department od health and human services, and the american college of sports medicine, it can be hard on it, cause diarrhea and dehydration.

one last thing, here is a exert from Dr Gary Farr "There is a large amount of protein turnover. In a human, approximately one pound of protein is degraded and resynthesized each day. Most of the amino acid liberated by protein degradation is used again in the resynthesis of new protein. But about 10% of the total amino acid is lost as it is converted to other important molecules involved in nervous system function, pigments, various hormones, and a variety of other essential activities. Amino acids are also used as fuel and, when present in excess in the diet, can be converted to fat for storage of excess calories."

In your responce you said that protien cant be turned to fat, only calories can. Thats strange because I though protein has calories, 4 to be exact

In your responce you said that protien cant be turned to fat, only calories can. Thats strange because I though protein has calories, 4 to be exact

When you learn to reference peer-reviewed research and apply it to specific populations, I *might* consider responding directly to you.

And with regards to the above quote, don't insult me or my intelligence.

When you learn the difference between calories and nutrients and their application to thermodynamics, come play again. Until then, learn that calories and nutrients are not one in the same.

A car has an engine.

Does that mean a car is an engine?

Reread what I said above:

Too much protein won't turn into fat.

Too many calories will.

In the presence of a caloric deficit, no amount of protein in the world in the context of said deficit is going to add fat.

Now read your response and tell me how it has any logic whatsoever, please?

You might want to pay attention to the words in bold in my statement, hint hint.

Reading these recipe and dish posts is driving me nuts. Dear God, I miss Indian food. (Most of the food I eat is single ingredient food, thus I am able count calories more accurately.)

I really do miss Indian food, in fact, I miss it more than I miss soy ice cream. When I get down to goal, in addition to rewarding myself with tons of new clothes, I'm going to reward myself with a trip to one of our local Indian restaurants for a restricted trip to the buffet. I guess I should pencil something in for May or June. :)

I love lentils. So they have a lot of carbohydrate, but I find they work well if I eat them instead of other carbs like potatoes or pasta; gives a more satisfying meal. Leaving out the carbs completely just doesn't work for me.

Do you use tinned (canned) lentils, skinni? I find it handy to keep a few tins in the cupboard for emergencies. A really quick dinner is to fry up an onion and garlic in a little olive oil, then chuck in a tin of drained brown (continential) lentils, a tin of tomatoes, and whatever spices are handy (like Chinese 5 spice or mild curry powder). Eat one quarter and freeze the rest.

Fat_Girl_Slim, I agree about the carbs - leaving out anything entirely doesn't seem like a great idea. but yeah, if you can eat it instead of rice or pasta, it mught actually work.

your recipe sounds great - also try making a chili with lentils - use the same mix that you would for a regular chili - cayenne, cumin powder and what ever you like. use lentils instead of beans - should work well.

I dont buy canned lentils - although i buy my beans 9pinto, black, garbanzo) canned. i buy dry lentils and then just pressure cook a big batch once every 10 days, freeze the batch.

My favorite lentils are the small yellow "moong" variety. lends itself to very tasty cooking. try just cooking it water for a soupy texture, then add salt, pepper, lime juice. maybe a little cayenne. Wow... i get hungry just thinking about it!

That sounds yum with the the moong dal. I like to keep split red lentils handy for a quick dal. It's so easy and so gorgeous, I don't know why I don't make it more often.

My sources are beans, tofu, soy milk and veggies. People don't realize that many veggies are also sources of protien.

Hm. I've come around to consuming upto 8 ounces of fish a week (not the most oil rich fish, but i choose Tilapia or flounder because of all the toxin / mercury talk in some other varieties)

oter wise, my protein now comes from the usual lentils and beans, milk, a daily regimen of yogurt and cottage cheese, and occasional chicken breasts - i eat upto 3 filets a week.

over all, i seem to be doing well - I've been losing an average of 1 pound a week since I started. Yay!!

hey here is an improv recipe for brunch:

Drain and wash a can of plain baked Pinto beans (I like Bush)

spray your omelet pan with Pam/similar, add egg beaters (substitute with whites or eggs)

Fork around to scrable, add Pinto beans - about 2 tbspns to half a cup, depending upon how much you are making

add salt, chili powder and curry powder (I use a spice blend called channa masala mix)
scramble well

add 2 tbspns of low fat cottage cheese before taking off flame

Wrap the whole thing in a whole grain tortilla (try to find a high fiber one), if you like, over abed of lettuce, grated carrot etc.

This thing is delish, and wont run you beyond 300 - 400 calories (if you use a 150 cal tortilla, egg beaters and 1% fat cottage cheese.

High fiber, and high protein brunch that'll satisfy and keep you on track.

Just had lunch - wasn't too hungry, so had about 2 ounces of frozen blueberries with about 1/2 cup of 1% fat cottage cheese - I got my protein, and I loved it too!! For all you dessert cravers, Keep a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer at all times, about half a cup of yogurt or better still, cottage cheese with the berries makes a delicious snack / mini lunch, and you can feel righteous about all the protein you just consumed.

lentils!

I was reading some of the past posts on lentils as good sources for proteins. I love lentils, but I eat the canned ones, because Im a college student and they are only .25 cents a can, which can be a whole meal or meal and a half. But I eat a lot of lentils, usually everyday or every other day. I was wondering what the downsides of this are. So far I haven't read anything bad about lentils except for the carbs. Does anyone know if that is too many lentils? I don't have another source of protein that I am consuming right now. Also any suggestions on good sources of protein and iron that are also easy on the wallet? thanks!

Back