Smooth Agile DMT Elliptical???

I've been a treadmill user for over 15 years, but my knees are convincing me to look at elliptical machines. I learned my lesson about buying cheap equipment with my first treadmill, so I'm looking at high end machines that will give a great workout and last a long time (Precor, Life Fitness, Smooth, Sole, etc.). I was all set to lay down $4500 for the new Precor EFX 5.35 which has the upper body handles, adjustable incline, adjustable stride length, etc., when I saw the new Smooth Agile DMT ($4000). Adjustable stride length is a must for the elliptical, because I'm 6' 2" and my wife is 5'3".

The Smooth DMT is sort of a combined elliptical and arc trainer and offers a much wider range of motion over your standard elliptical. Problem with the Smooth is that it is so new, I can't find anyone that has actually used one to give me an honest review. I'm trying to find anyone with any actual use of either of these machines, particularly with the Smooth Agile DMT. Unfortunately Smooth primarily sells its machines online, and there are no stores in my area to look at one. I was able to try out the Precor in the store, and so I know what it can do.

Thanks for any info!

Hi I just picked up the Agile on Saturday and the installer came over today took 3 hours to uncrate carry down stairs and put together. Could not try it today father in-law is in the hospital we just got home 8 pm but will work out mon. am on it . If your close to Detroit Wate-Man in Livonia Mi. has them in stock . I was about to buy the life fitness x7 untill I tried the Agile on Friday. Very smooth and much more versitable. Wate-man sells them a lot less then on line

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm very interested in hearing about your experience with the Agile DMT. Let me know what you think after a few work outs. I have contacted Smooth to see if there are any dealers in my area where I could try one out. How much $$$ did you save buying at Wate-Man?

I also called smooth they told me they have no dealers then I checked there site and found a dealer locater put in my zip and 100 mile search. I will ask Wate-Man on Tuesday if they mind me telling the price I paid like I said it was a lot less then smooth did you try this link?

No Dealers So Far

I tried using the search tool and it could not find a dealer withing 100 miles of my location. Most of their dealers seem to be located in the N and NE, although they appear to be expanding into the SW. I'm in the SE. I've contacted Smooth via email, but have not gotten a response yet as to whether there is a dealer nearby or not.

Smooth Agile DMY Elliptical???

I did a lot of reseach on this machine. I too had no dealers near me. I drove to a dealer near NYC to see it and try it out. I would have bought it from them but the shipping would have been way too much so I purchased it directly from Smoth fitness. The guy even sweetened the deal by including a mat to put under the machine. The delivery and assemble is or was included in the price. The assembly company was busy and it would have taken another week for them to show up so I put it together myself. One person can do it but it would have been easier with two. Anyway I was running on a treadmill for 45 minutes a day with the incline set at 1 out of ten and at 4.7 mph. I've only had the DMT a week and the first day I could go any longer than 20 minutes. So far I'm very happy and impressed with this maching and am looking forward to using this for a long time. My knees are going to be very happy. Another big plus is how quiet it is. This is expensive but if you're commited and really going to use it for a long time, this is very well built so hopfully it will last.

My opinion on the agile DMT. After one week of use. Im sure glad I bought this machine. Over the Life Fittness X7. The DMT with the articulating foot pedals sure is a BIG plus, my feet have never gotton numb like on other elipticals. I train for 30-35 min. daily. With the stride and intensity level adjustments it will take years to out work this machine. Thumb controls are a great feture. The DMT is very smooth, quiet and solid. The only thing missing for me would be on the control panel if it read in MPH. Draw back EXPENSIVE.

Still Looking for One

Looks like a good machine. So far I've found it for significantly less buying through a dealer rather than ordering it directly through Smooth (one place has it for $3099 and another for $3200). Problem is that both places require you to buy it in the store and they won't ship. I may just have to take a drive one weekend and pick one up. The nearest store is 337 miles. I wonder if I could fit it in my SUV?

I brought mine home in a mini van took out both rows of seats. But I called first to get the size of boxes the biggest was 71 inches long and I think about 2 foot wide and no taller then 36 inches the second box is 37x35x13.
best cardio machine I've been on what a work out on your butt - legs - and lungs all this on a promo. price just under 3gs out the door

Range of Motion Question

First of all Sunrisets thanks for giving the box dimensions. That really helps. I think I would also need my wifes mini-van to get the big box in.

Could you guys elaborate on the "12 dynamic" motions that the elliptical is supposed to do. Some reviews have compared it to the Cybex arc trainer, so that makes me think that you can get more of an arc motion out of it, but I'm not sure how it could do that. Other ellipticals like the Precor use an incline to work different muscle groups. How does the Agile DMT compare?

Thanks!:yelrotflmao:

each time you increase the range it seems to take a little elliptical effect away through the range but its very nice and smooth through the ranges when you get #12 its like a arc stepper I haven't measured but the stride may be 30-35 inches and with with 20 levels on intensity it sure is tuff then try it backwards the changes in stride take place up front where the silver panal is watch how it moves on the web site if my computer allowed me to send vidio I would tape it for you hope this helps . Im out of town till 3-7 my father in-law passed away this am.

Good Workout - Poor Instrumentation

I purchased the Agile DMT about four months ago and have been using it about three times a week. Although personally I think the red accents and large amount of plastic make it look somewhat like a cheap toy, it feels very solid and smooth in use.

I bought mine direct from smooth fitness with the "white glove" service and they sub-contracted the delivery and installation to a local company who set it up in about three hours. I was a little disappointed that they would not take the packaging away (I ended up paying one of the delivery guys to do that on the side). There was an enormous amount of packaging materials including wood, plastic and a lot of messy styrofoam that took up a ton of space.

The thumb controls are excellent - extremely convenient for me as I tend to like to manually change both the motion and the resistance frequently to vary my workouts which are usually between 30 and 40 minutes.

I used to use a treadmill but began to have a pain in my knee from the impact which would not go away. This is why I began researching elliptical machines. Working out on the DMT eliminated my knee pain and I also found it to be just generally more comfortable and enjoyable than the treadmill and the time seems to go faster. Sometimes I workout up to 50 minutes just because it is so comfortable.

The motion control basically feels like increasing up and down motion rather than increasing stride length, so the experience is like moving from an almost treadmill-like motion to a stair climber. At the highest level, it is really quite difficult emphasizing the thigh muscles. Unfortunately for some reason, my unit has a mechanical vibration and noise at those highest settings (anything above 12) - perhaps due to faulty assembly - but I tend not to like the motion much at that high level anyway.

The console I find to be pretty useless and "full of itself" with a lot of worthless LEDs that seem to be there just for a "cool" factor. I don't need or want to see a cheesy bar graph of the last few seconds of motion settings which is meaningless. Since the main purpose of the machine for me is cardiovascular workout, what's important to me with instrumentation is time and heart rate. Occasionally I also like to see calories burned. However, incredibly, the design makes it impossible to simply see any combination of these basics at the same time. You have to use an annoying "scan" mode which cycles through a bunch of useless information like watts and rpm so you are forced to stare for several seconds just to see the most important information which needlessly distracts from the workout. For the money this thing costs, I would have liked the console to be designed more for function than appearance.

Nevertheless, the mechanics are very solid and the workout is very smooth indeed.

Is everyone who owns a Smooth Agile DMT still happy with the machine and with the Smooth company?
Thanks

I have had mine for 3 weeks and I can say without a doubt it is a well build machine and I completely happy with it. I was going to buy a life fitness until the DMT came along and just offered more versatility for both my wife (5'3") and me (5'11").

I have used Precor but really didn't like the ramp contruction, life fitness is excellent but lacked on the fly adjustable stride that DMT offers, albeit a stair arc like motion. The thumb controls are excellent.

I tend to disagree with TSO on the control panel I think it is just fine, very functional for my taste and it doesn't distract me from my excercise.

Overall, a very expensive machine, very stable, quiet and definately smooth; I would do it all over again given the current products out there.

nobogy

I've had my DMT for about two months. Only regret, is I wish I had this 20 years ago. This thing is so good I've given my treadmill away. The display does have a lot of information with some items more important than others but I guess for the money this thing costs the more the better. I will say I have no use or idea why there is a watt measurment. Anyone know what that is for?

I looked on Wate-man and the price is listed as $3,999.00. One of you said there was a much lower price, somewhere around $3,000.

Any help on this? If you do not want to post, please send me a private message. Thanks

Best Price

The best price I've found for the Smooth Agile DMT is $2899 at Berry's Barbell, which has 2 stores in Ohio (Columbus and Lewis Center). Only problem is that they will not ship it.

This means that you will have to pick it up and do the assembly yourself. If you happen to live close, this is a great deal.

I've also found it at a place in TN for around $3300, and a couple of places in PA for around the same price. I may break down and drive to Berry's Barbell one weekend and pick one up, but that is an 8 hour drive for me.:jump1:

New Lower Price From Smooth

In case anyone is interested: I just noticed that Smooth has lowered the price of the Aigle DMT to $3499 (down $500 from the previous price). This price includes shipping and assembly. :yelrotflmao:

Smooth Fitness price reduction

I found the Agile DMT for $2999 at a local dealer, but they wanted $200 to deliver it. I emailed SmoothFitness.com and asked them about the $500 discount the local dealer was offering and I received an email back offering to give me the same price, plus free shipping...plus it is tax free to my state. He also offered to throw in a free mat to go under the machine, if I purchased through them. I thought it was a great offer and took the deal.

Avoid it

Buying from Smooth Fitness has turned out to be a very expensive lesson for me. If you want to avoid throwing away money, then I would suggest that you look elsewhere for an elliptical or other fitness product.

I purchased the Agile DMT for $2900. The product arrives with some minor scratches on it that I decided I could live with since it is probably a bit destructive to ship something that big. It took about 2.5 hours to assemble which is reasonable.

However, upon powering it up, I discovered that the much vaunted “motion” feature did not work. After taking the thing apart I could see that the feature, which operates from a combination of wormscrew and motor, did not work. When you call tech support at Smooth Fitness, do not expect to speak to anyone for days. You cannot wait on hold. You have to leave a message with someone and they tell you that someone will call you back. I had to wait 48 hours for a phone call back on a new product just to be told that they would ship a part and a tech would contact me later.

Any phone calls you make to the company after placing in order will be either ignored or met with indifference. After realizing that I made a mistake in this purchase, I decided to send it back. They do not have any arrangements in place with their shipping companies to help you return something. You are on your own. I had to source my own shipping and the cheapest way I found was 458 dollars. Their return policy states that you need to have the packaging to return it but you are on your own to get it back to them. It should not cost 458 dollars to receive a defective product and then return it.

As I said, this has been an expensive lesson. If you are thinking of buying this, don’t! Get an Octane Q37e for the same price and you can buy it from a local company that will be there when you need help getting it fixed.

Back