Should I pay for a personal trainer or not?

crankspuls6

I just enrolled in a Gold's gym near my place and the gym manager told me they would be teaching me how to use machines for safety purposes bc I was a newbie. We were discussing about Personal Training, but he said that the PT package wasn't really necessary, but the trainer teaching me is making it seem otherwise.My day started with a free pt session where they'd measure me and take my stats from heart rates and push ups etc, and the coach started teaching me how to do use some of the equipment (bench press, chest press, etc) there were 5 and I did 3x15 for each machine and it was my actual first time performing all of them. During the end of each set my trainer would be talking to me about getting a PT package which costs about $60 per session for 10 sessions minimum but I found it quite expensive (and I don't really have that kind of money at the moment). He was saying stuff like he wouldn't be able to assist when I fail my reps, check my progress, or customize my program but if I get a PT package I'd be able to get more assistance. I told him I'd think about it but after reading so many threads here, which included stories of PTs half assing shit just to continue making $$$, giving cookie cutter programs, and how the free PT is just a sales trap or something, I felt more skeptical about the PT package he was offering. A lot of the threads mentioned following your own researched program and practicing form through YT videos. I'd love to do that but as a first timer I'm not sure if I can guarantee myself achieving those with proper form all by myself and be able to ensure my safety, yet if I get the PT I feel like I'm getting scammed.
He did tell me he was going to continue teaching me how to use the rest of the equipment (like the manager said) but I'm unsure if he's going to commit to teaching me because I'm not getting a PT package. But if I really do want to start doing things myself, it would be great to have someone teach me the basics of how to use the equipment at the very least.
Should I get the PT or should I rely on myself? I'm an actual newbie, zero experience. Thanks!

Back