self-defense?

wing chun is a 300 year old chinese martial art. Legend says that a nun called Ng Mui developed it by watching a snake fight a crane. She then passed this on to a girl called Yim Wing Chun who refined it and named it after herself.

Its principles are the most important thing and will remain unchanged throughout its many different lineages, though the way it is tought, and the techniques will be different from class to class.

basically it revolves around protecting and attacking the centre line, relaxation and contact reflex, attacking and defending at the same time, and using opponents energy against them.

it is a fast, powerfull, close range, simple and effective art geared towards self defense. It is not flamboyant or flowery with big movements.

It can also be know as Ving Tsun, but is mostly called wing chun or wing chun kuen.

there are 3 empty hand forms, 2 weapon forms, and 1 wooden dummy form, which is unique among all martial arts.

try a class and see for yourself!!

-alex

i studied jeet kun do for about 5 months thats really good, derived partially from wing chun although i did a few martial arts ikedo was pretty good and i cant remeber who it was that said it but they were totally right the style is irrelevent (go on personal preference or size whatever) the trainer is the best i learnt muay thai for 5 weeks but the teacher was rubbish and i gave it up i hear its great but cause of his form i lost interest. I did ikedo not a particulluy (sorry cant spell) well known or practised (in the uk) martial art and thats what i'd use whenever i got into a fight. because the sensai made it real for us things to use in real life the others i learnt after that were for form and i had an interest. but again best thin g to do in a fight is run away it might sound girlie or sissy only fight if you have to. i would say i have been in about 3 real life fights and like chicker says its real scary and often painfull so three fights but i have run away from countless.(i'm not a trouble maker just live in a violent area) so remember the adage he who turns and runs away lives to fight another day!!!

Back