self-defense?

Hey everyone,

Because of some recent events of my life, I'm feeling very unsafe. :( I'm going to start taking some self-defense classes, but I was wondering if anyone recommends anything else, like some sort of martial art or something. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :)

I don't know what the laws in the great white north are, but is there a possibility for you to carry a concealed weapon? Ideally this would be a handgun in 9mm or larger, but mace/pepper spray is helpful as well. Just make sure to get the proper training for whatever path you take as your best weapon is the one between your ears. Stay alert!

About specific martial arts, well they work but only if you are in a hand to hand fight. There is a saying... never bring a knife to a gun fight. Be as prepared as you can, but try to stay out of the fight if you are able to at all. If Tukong Musool is available, that would be my preferred style of martial arts. It was designed by the Korean military with the expressed intent of disabling or killing the oponent and if you are in fear for your life that is the goal - not breaking a brick.

I have studied numerous martial arts ( I moved around a lot when I was in the service) and found that the instructor is much more important than the particular style. A good instructor can teach you a lot in a short period of time no matter what his style is. There are a lot of good instructors out there and a lot of bad ones as well.

Kalrog said:
I don't know what the laws in the great white north are, but is there a possibility for you to carry a concealed weapon? Ideally this would be a handgun in 9mm or larger, but mace/pepper spray is helpful as well. Just make sure to get the proper training for whatever path you take as your best weapon is the one between your ears. Stay alert!

Personally, I don't feel that a weapon would make me feel any safer. It would probably make me feel in even more danger.

I guess what I really want to know is names of various martial arts that I could look into. So I'll look into the ones mentioned, and I'll remember to find a good instructor. Thanks guys.

I agree with you, Heather. As much as a weapon can aid you, you have to be really careful, cause they can make an attacker more violent and/or turn the weapon against you.
Always remember that guys have a very, very sensitive spot ... ;)

AllCdnBoy said:
I agree with you, Heather. As much as a weapon can aid you, you have to be really careful, cause they can make an attacker more violent and/or turn the weapon against you.
Always remember that guys have a very, very sensitive spot ... ;)

Hehe, I'll remember that. Although, statistically speaking, hitting that sensitive spot hasn't been as effective as surprising your attacker by vomiting...but unfortunately, I'm not able to vomit on command. lol...

If you are not comfortable with carrying a weapon, then that would indeed be the wrong answer for you. Stay alert and use your head. The worst thing you can do is get flustered.

Good luck on the martial arts - I have no names or instructors for you since I am thousands of miles away.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier. There is safety in numbers. Can you make it a concerted effort to stay with a friend or two when in public more often? Especially if one of them is already competent at self defense...

Kalrog said:

One thing I forgot to mention earlier. There is safety in numbers. Can you make it a concerted effort to stay with a friend or two when in public more often? Especially if one of them is already competent at self defense...

I think that's my best option for now. Thanks. I get so worried about my dilemna that I forget that the basic defenses. :(

martial arts in the street

to stand a real chance in the world of street fighting, which u may get urself in2, is 2 learn a martial art that kan be used in a real life situation. for example if u learn karate, there is no way for you 2 perform those types of blocks or attacks because they will be 2 slow.. but if you learn jeet kune do you can apply that to your personal needs.
my best suggestion is 2 try asmany martial arts as you can that are avaliable 2 u... try reading some books on street defence.
keep looking till you kan find the perfect style.
if you r still un succesful den make your own style... which is what ive done. i teach the people on my street.. they have definatly become more confident in walking in the street at night or alone.

good luck

peace out:D

HI.

if you dont want to take a wepon then i think you have made the right choice because it could be used agaisnt you, i am 17 and have been a martial arts fan since i was about 12 or 13, jeet kune do is a really good martial art but for a person who is looking for a really good fighting style that puts aside all the fancy shit and goes straigt for the usful stuff then i would suggest you take up wing chun kung fu. reasearch into this fighting style and i garantee you will like it, afterall it was founded by a woman, and because of this you could even be the smallest person in the world and still kick the shit out of the biggest person known.

i did a little research for you on wing tsun (wing chun).

The WT system is an ancient form of Kung Fu based on Taoist philosophy. It is designed to create a state of mental and physical excellence, allowing one to move in harmony with an opponents strength.

Adaptable -

Its principles being flexible and peaceful, WT has adapted to the modern environment and to the needs of its practitioners without losing the depth of knowledge which has been evolved over thousands of years.

Effective -

WT is so effective that it has been adopted by police forces in 56 countries around the world, including famous elite police units such as the FBI, RAID, NOKS, SEK and GSG9. The WT organisation of Great Britain is also an affiliated member of the police federation.

Scientific -

WT optimises the brain's decision making and information processing to allow fluid response in a crisis situation. This is combined with an advanced understanding of body geometry and dynamics, allowing the attackers force to be evaded.

Practical -

In resolving the issues of crisis response, WT teaches students to use their bodies and brains in completely different ways. The result of this is to promote a multitude of skills and strategies which are frequently used in normal life, not just in the rare occasions of actual combat.

Complete -

WT incorporates advanced learning theories, cognitive
analysis, ancient Chinese health strategies, and the latest developments in sports and medical science.
WT is therefore the most advanced system for developing body and mind together ever devised.

hope this has helped since i know u probley couldnt be arsed searching for it yourself lol. i am from manchester in the uk and i have a great teacher, lets hope u find one aswell.

later.

Thanks axe, that was REALLY helpful. I'm going to look into that, it sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully there will be somewhere that teaches it in my area.

:)

HI,

No problem, i dont mind wasting time for a fellow human being in need lol, if you can find wing chun then yeah go for it, or try bying some videos that teach you, but then again it could be hard learning from a video, tell u wot, if u want have a look around your area for all the differant fighting styles, once youve found a couple post the names on this forum, im sure myself or some1 else cud help you out into choosing the right 1.

I took Muay Thai years ago - b/c of some unsettling events that took place - it is AMAZING. I would recommend it to anyone, male or female. You can find the Thaiboxing Association - National - info online and find a local gym. Kicking and punching above and below the belt, so no matter who you're up against, no matter his/her training (i.e. martial arts training), you'll put an end to the altercation in seconds. It does take considerable coordination, and mental preparation ... but so worth the effort and time. I'm a female, 130 pounds, and took out 2 males in about 15 seconds, a couple of years ago. (at the risk of sounding like I'm tooting my own horn teehee) Try it out ... physicall and mentally ... you will be stronger.

hey,

that sounds interesting. did u say u could take out any1 studying any other martial art? lol dont think so. it cant be that good. i will do some research into it though. but i still think wing chun is perfect for me. my teacher went to practise with one of the top cheese wing chun guys. he punched my teacher with average power against the chest. he then asked my teacher wheater it hurted or not, my teacher lied and said it did hurt, when it didnt, 2 mintues later he had an asma attack lol.

Apparently they didn't offer grammar classes.

Axe, you sound like every other self important pompous ass who took a few classes and thinks he knows all about all. I never claimed to be able or willing to get in a ring with a 8th degree black belt such as yourself. I just take care of myself, and don't feel inclined to impose my beliefs or teachings on the girl who asked, or anyone else for that matter.

Offering opinion is just that ... opinion. She asked. I answered.

Oh, and for the record, they were attempting Karate.

LOL...that's what I thought.

Just about any style can be effective, it's more a matter of finding a good instructor. If you're feeling insecure now and need some immediate tips, try a generic self defense class taugh by someone with some real life experience, it should give you some basic techniques and tips to keep you safe. For the long term, try visiting some schools in your area and watching some classes. Ask about their instructor's training, experience and goals - also make sure that they teach street fighting (self defense) and not just tournament fighting. Good luck.

i have experience in Muay Thai, karate, ninjutsu, wu shu kwan and wing chun.

From my experience I would def. recommend wing chun to you. However, even if you choose that, there are many different lineages/instructors/clubs/philsophies etc etc. Ive seen wing chun performed very differently from mone person to another so i stongly recommend you go to at least 1 session of all the different martial arts classes in your area, and go with the one you feel best about.

I'd like to hear more about Wing Chun...never heard of it...can you give me a basic descpription?

Back