seeking advice from those who know

Here's how you figure your protein requirements!

Research has shown that excess amounts of protein leaches calcium from your bones (which will make them brittle and susceptible to stress fractures) and it causes dehydration.

RDA for sedentary adult 0.8
PRO g/kg BW/day

Physically active adult 1.0
PRO g/kg BW/day

Endurance athlete 1.2 - 1.4
PRO g/kg BW/day

Strength athlete 1.4 - 1.8
PRO g/kg BW/day

Adolescent athlete 1.0 - 2.0
PRO g/kg BW/day

Maximum for adult athletes up to 2.0
PRO g/kg BW/day

Here's all you want to know about the fatigue/fitness curve.

***NOT on my web site... this is just good info if you're really interested.

1. Why in God's name are you providing me with a link pertaining to the dual-factor theory? Do you honestly think that I need help in this area?

2. I really want to call your a moronic parrot right now that just looks stuff up on the web, and acts like an expert, but I won't, since I might get in trouble. :rolleyes:

3. High protein with inadequate calcium, sure, can cause a net bone loss. High protein with adequate calcium actually causes net bone gain. Add resistance training into the mix and things become even more supportive for net bone maintenance or gain.

4. Almost forgot to comment on your parroted voice of reason pertaining to protein requirements from the RDA website, I presume. You can continue eating lower level protein intakes, while I sit here with my 1 gram per pound. However, I also took the time to educate myself back in the day and not leave every little thing I do be based on governmental studies. The research on athletes and protein needs are crap, equating to crap evidence, equating to no compelling evidence that extra is required. Show me evidence stating otherwise.

Last edited:
Back