Ruthless Training Journal

Something I did recently when I thought my form was suffering was video myself, put the vids on you tube tagged private so they don't come up in searches then post them here to be shredded.
I don't do boastful videos, if I'm getting it right that's fine, I just log it. When I post a vid I want it critiqued to death because it's better than injuring myself. Justin and Ryan aka Goldfish did a great job at picking up every error and some great guidance.

I also find taking videos really helpful since i see myself fully, if my shoulders or dropping, i stand poorly, etc. I already posted the video link in this journal thread. :)

Upload them and post them here. You will get some very informative tips and critiques. I need to get a video up of my bench for critique. I'm wearing my shoulders out too quickly, but I'm not flaring my elbows. One of the guys here is always willing to help.

Thanks for the suggestion! I already uploaded the video link in this thread. :)

19.1.13: Running experiment

"Listening to music while running can boost performance by up to 15%." -

To test this interesting theory the other way around, i tuned in running a kilometre first. Halfway through it, thoughts of laying down on a hammock, cuddling a pillow, and napping flashed in my head.

After a kilometre of eye drooping, i changed the track to . I bolted like a rocket. >:p

Curious how is it going to be without any music but the sound of the surroundings. Going to try this next.

Ahhh 2014!

19.1.13: Running experiment

"Listening to music while running can boost performance by up to 15%." -

To test this interesting theory the other way around, i tuned in running a kilometre first. Halfway through it, thoughts of laying down on a hammock, cuddling a pillow, and napping flashed in my head.

After a kilometre of eye drooping, i changed the track to . I bolted like a rocket. >:p

Curious how is it going to be without any music but the sound of the surroundings. Going to try this next.

Music definitely helps with that extra burst of energy. I can't go lift without my mp3 player. I can't stand that poppy crap the play at the gym. I need some metal.

With the most recent uploaded video (which looks like you might have fudged the date on it), here are some things I noticed:

- Your shins are angled in at the bottom. I'd recommend having your knees either directly over your heels from this POV, or even further out. This suggests that you might want to narrow your stance or drive your knees further out. Foot alignment could also be a factor to consider here.
- Your torso dips forward at the beginning of the concentric. This suggests back or quadricep weakness/lack of control. I'd consider doing goblet squats/front squats (I'd start with goblet squats and progress to front squats), with an emphasis on keeping your chest and tailbone lifted at all points in the ROM, as an assistance exercise to help remedy this. An emphasis on core and back tightness throughout the movement might also be relevant.
- Depth is definitely below parallel. Kudos.
- I just looked at another of your squat videos from 2.1.14, and you actually look like you have a bit more control over the bar in that video. Notably, in that video, you aren't pausing at the bottom, so that could be a factor.

I just had a look at one of your SLDL videos (dated 6.1.14). The lighting really obscures a lot of what's going on, but it looks to me like you're bending your arms and not taking the slack out of the bar. Don't think about trying to get the bar as high as possible, instead, think of keeping it as far down your legs as possible; all the while contracting your lats, keeping your core rigid and tight, driving through the glutes and locking out your hips (and knees, if appropriate).

I'm looking at your shoulder press videos, and they're mislabeled. Those are actually DB bench presses. A shoulder press will have you either sitting up or standing, and lifting the weights up over your head. Despite that, on the most recent of those videos, your form looks pretty good. Only faults that stood out were your head not being evenly square on the bench (which suggests your torso might not have been either, which in turn could spell trouble for setup and scapular tightness), and your left arm tends to come up faster than your right arm (which is always going to happen as your fatigue, but still something to be mindful of and try to resist). Over all, the movement pattern looks pretty good, though, and your seem to have your chest raised and feet flat, no signs of your hips rising off the bench, which indicates that you're probably doing the right things from the floor to your shoulders.
Food, healthy diet concerns, etc.

:eating:

I feel like i gained unnecessary fat from the weekend's festivities. Attended cultural events, ate food that i couldn't remember the name and even if i could remember it, i won't be able to pronounce it either hahah! Ever since i started working out, i became mindful of what i should and should not eat. I'm still guilty of having a cheat day once in a while but i developed some discipline. So during the feast, i couldn't help but felt like i was being served the kiss of death hahah (mixed emotions from a happy tummy and a horrified dignity)!

Never felt so thankful that me and my friend had to set-up and pack-up photo equipments weighing more than a hundred kg all together.

Must work hard to burn it all this coming week. :action:

<< eating cereals (yes, in the evening) and cranberries whilst typing this log entry. >:p

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. These things happen. Once a week is no biggie unless you're a bodybuilder (including all sub-categories, eg physique, bikini etc) or fitness model.

OK I am typing this before reading Ryan's post which will likely have all of the critique and more. I watched the latest video of your squats and deadlift, lighting on deadlift means much of the critique on that is likely wrong as you were a white blur for a lot of it, your camera work is nearly as bad as mine.

As I said we critique hard here and this will likely look as though you are doing nothing right because I will be pointing out faults without praise below this point. What you are doing wrong are beginners errors seasoned pros can find themselves doing if they aren't careful. What you are doing right is finding out so you can sort it out early and avoid doing what many do, injuring themselves or doing the same stuff wrong for decades.

Squats
Biggest concerns because these are seriously dangerous and you could injure yourself not fixing them are the knees and body separation.
Knees first. Your legs need to be straight lines, when viewed from behind your feet, this can be || or /\ dependant on foot placement but the knees must follow the feet to ensure they are kept in line. To learn how this works best do some movements without weight to find out where your knees prefer to go and put your feet there. I have heard coaches try to get people to change the way their knees move but it is foot knee alignment that is important and changing foot angle is easier so go for that first for safety and adjust over time if you want to. If your legs become like () or )( during movements that is bad, it's what I did when starting to deadlift using fat grips so experience doesn't mean you will never do it, you always need to be aware of this. Unfortunately what you are doing is the worst case which is swinging from one to the other during the movement which is very dangerous, but easy to fix. Perfect movement would mean if you looked down at the bottom of your movement you wouldn't see your feet because your knees would have bent perfectly making your legs cover them, of course perfect movement means not looking down at the bottom of your movement too so only do this without weight or by setting the camera in line with your foot and recording to see if your legs are in line.
Body separation, using the body parts one at a time. You are doing the downward movement of your squats in one smooth motion with everything working together but the take off at the bottom is predominantly legs and then you are lifting your shoulders with your back, on occasions there is a wave like movement going through your back as you are getting into the upright position. On beginners weights you will get away with this, scaled up to competition style weights that is guaranteed future of back issues. Keep the back arched consistently, drive forward with your hips and up with your legs in one movement. The perfect squat is one of the most boring movements you can watch it looks like someone sitting and standing while the shoulders slide down in a perfect line, dull and uneventful. The excitement only comes when you realise this simple looking movement is being done with dramatic weight because the lifter has perfect alignment and is using their body as a single implement.
There were minor issues that I could pick on but these would disappear by remedying the big 2. I would also challenge the honesty of anyone here declaring they haven't done squats at that standard or below, if they were honest we'll all hate them as everyone does with the effortlessly perfect.

Deadlift
Not much I can say because of the halo but there was something there I was doing when I started using fat gripz so I think I will know why you are doing it and may be able to advise how to avoid it.
Lifting with the arms first causing bent elbows and too much pressure on the upper back and neck. When I was doing this last year it was because I had decided my grip needed to be strengthened so started using fat gripz, this in turn meant I was struggling to hold the bar and was focussed so much on this that I was pulling the bar off the floor before actually deadlifting it. Others here pointed that out and I concentrated again on using my arms as a connectors not lifting agents.
Hold the bar with your hands lift it with your body, your arms should be relatively relaxed and totally straight throughout.
I am not totally sure on this but it looks as if you may have had some of the issues with lifting legs then back here too, but I reserve the right to be wrong here, it was hard to tell.

Bench press safety.
I train at home alone, sympathy is always welcome of course, so use the squat rack to ensure my bench safety knowing there is no spotter.
Powerlifting doesn't require a straight back and when lifting heavy I use the arch as a way of increasing what I can lift by reducing the range of movement and a way of increasing safety.
Having an arched back like this ) means I can set the bar catcher to just below the level the bar comes down to but above where it would be with my back straight like this | When I fail a lift, which is not uncommon, I relax my back to straight and slide out sideways swearing at myself internally for being a wuss, then rerack ready to do it again.
I am currently doing some straight back bench in my routine, or at least I will be when I get back to doing some weights, but these are lighter because I know this safety is removed. the current training is slow movement for intensity so if I get stuck I will just jerk it up. Current stuff I am doing is hypertrophy work not power lifting.

Music has to suit the person. As someone who hates profanity and virtually never uses it some are surprised to find out how much of my music is full of it. I am proudly arrogant so think no small beans of myself but I am also a hyperactive so when training I am venting surplus aggression I have held repressed and is generally aimed inward. I like what I can do but when training it is never enough and I hate myself for being so pathetically weak, slow etc. so music that is full of anger lie rage against the machine and Metallica or just plain abusive like Manson works well for me.
I trained with one guy who had music set up to cover timing etc. perfectly, all classical, mellower movements after each set, then build up just before next and furiously powerful crescendo during each set. It took him effort to set up but it worked brilliantly, people assuming classical is all fluffy and sweet don't know their stuff.

Good stuff. Keep it going. OI am going to read Goldie's post know and see how much repetition there is.

Oh yeah! Thanks for pointing that out! I tend to screw up writing when knackered. :p

Thank you very much for taking some time pointing out your observations and recommendations! These are a great help! A friend of mine had pointed this problem quite some time ago but i'm really having a hard time with driving my knees further out. I will try goblet/front squats (i have to google/youtube search those first though heheh).

Apologies for the overly lighted videos. The gym is using something similar to studio lights and directly shining over the squat racks causing extra brightness on cam.

--- SLDL, all along i thought i need to lift it up higher hahah! Okay will do that.

--- All noted! :)

Again, thanks for sparing a time reviewing my videos! Your insights are really helpful! :)

With the most recent uploaded video (which looks like you might have fudged the date on it), here are some things I noticed:

- Your shins are angled in at the bottom. I'd recommend having your knees either directly over your heels from this POV, or even further out. This suggests that you might want to narrow your stance or drive your knees further out. Foot alignment could also be a factor to consider here.
- Your torso dips forward at the beginning of the concentric. This suggests back or quadricep weakness/lack of control. I'd consider doing goblet squats/front squats (I'd start with goblet squats and progress to front squats), with an emphasis on keeping your chest and tailbone lifted at all points in the ROM, as an assistance exercise to help remedy this. An emphasis on core and back tightness throughout the movement might also be relevant.
- Depth is definitely below parallel. Kudos.
- I just looked at another of your squat videos from 2.1.14, and you actually look like you have a bit more control over the bar in that video. Notably, in that video, you aren't pausing at the bottom, so that could be a factor.

I just had a look at one of your SLDL videos (dated 6.1.14). The lighting really obscures a lot of what's going on, but it looks to me like you're bending your arms and not taking the slack out of the bar. Don't think about trying to get the bar as high as possible, instead, think of keeping it as far down your legs as possible; all the while contracting your lats, keeping your core rigid and tight, driving through the glutes and locking out your hips (and knees, if appropriate).

I'm looking at your shoulder press videos, and they're mislabeled. Those are actually DB bench presses. A shoulder press will have you either sitting up or standing, and lifting the weights up over your head. Despite that, on the most recent of those videos, your form looks pretty good. Only faults that stood out were your head not being evenly square on the bench (which suggests your torso might not have been either, which in turn could spell trouble for setup and scapular tightness), and your left arm tends to come up faster than your right arm (which is always going to happen as your fatigue, but still something to be mindful of and try to resist). Over all, the movement pattern looks pretty good, though, and your seem to have your chest raised and feet flat, no signs of your hips rising off the bench, which indicates that you're probably doing the right things from the floor to your shoulders.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. These things happen. Once a week is no biggie unless you're a bodybuilder (including all sub-categories, eg physique, bikini etc) or fitness model.

First, thanks for sparing your time to review my vids! Really appreciate it. Surely, I'm open to criticisms and pointers to correct my form.

Before i started lifting, i used to practice with a broomstick.

"Lifting with the arms first causing bent elbows and too much pressure on the upper back and neck." --- I realized that i'm putting so much pressure on my upper back and neck. I began to notice having slight pain on my neck after lifting.

I'm thoroughly reading all your and Ryan's comments whilst re-watching my vids. Aiming to apply all new stuff i learned for next week's session. :)

About the music, yeah i do agree! I like listening to some metal and post-rock, it makes the adrenaline rush more aggressive. :)

"people assuming classical is all fluffy and sweet don't know their stuff." ---- LOL! Just for instance, can't really tag Rachmaninoff as sweet and fluffy. :p

OK I am typing this before reading Ryan's post which will likely have all of the critique and more. I watched the latest video of your squats and deadlift, lighting on deadlift means much of the critique on that is likely wrong as you were a white blur for a lot of it, your camera work is nearly as bad as mine.

As I said we critique hard here and this will likely look as though you are doing nothing right because I will be pointing out faults without praise below this point. What you are doing wrong are beginners errors seasoned pros can find themselves doing if they aren't careful. What you are doing right is finding out so you can sort it out early and avoid doing what many do, injuring themselves or doing the same stuff wrong for decades.

Squats
Biggest concerns because these are seriously dangerous and you could injure yourself not fixing them are the knees and body separation.
Knees first. Your legs need to be straight lines, when viewed from behind your feet, this can be || or /\ dependant on foot placement but the knees must follow the feet to ensure they are kept in line. To learn how this works best do some movements without weight to find out where your knees prefer to go and put your feet there. I have heard coaches try to get people to change the way their knees move but it is foot knee alignment that is important and changing foot angle is easier so go for that first for safety and adjust over time if you want to. If your legs become like () or )( during movements that is bad, it's what I did when starting to deadlift using fat grips so experience doesn't mean you will never do it, you always need to be aware of this. Unfortunately what you are doing is the worst case which is swinging from one to the other during the movement which is very dangerous, but easy to fix. Perfect movement would mean if you looked down at the bottom of your movement you wouldn't see your feet because your knees would have bent perfectly making your legs cover them, of course perfect movement means not looking down at the bottom of your movement too so only do this without weight or by setting the camera in line with your foot and recording to see if your legs are in line.
Body separation, using the body parts one at a time. You are doing the downward movement of your squats in one smooth motion with everything working together but the take off at the bottom is predominantly legs and then you are lifting your shoulders with your back, on occasions there is a wave like movement going through your back as you are getting into the upright position. On beginners weights you will get away with this, scaled up to competition style weights that is guaranteed future of back issues. Keep the back arched consistently, drive forward with your hips and up with your legs in one movement. The perfect squat is one of the most boring movements you can watch it looks like someone sitting and standing while the shoulders slide down in a perfect line, dull and uneventful. The excitement only comes when you realise this simple looking movement is being done with dramatic weight because the lifter has perfect alignment and is using their body as a single implement.
There were minor issues that I could pick on but these would disappear by remedying the big 2. I would also challenge the honesty of anyone here declaring they haven't done squats at that standard or below, if they were honest we'll all hate them as everyone does with the effortlessly perfect.

Deadlift
Not much I can say because of the halo but there was something there I was doing when I started using fat gripz so I think I will know why you are doing it and may be able to advise how to avoid it.
Lifting with the arms first causing bent elbows and too much pressure on the upper back and neck. When I was doing this last year it was because I had decided my grip needed to be strengthened so started using fat gripz, this in turn meant I was struggling to hold the bar and was focussed so much on this that I was pulling the bar off the floor before actually deadlifting it. Others here pointed that out and I concentrated again on using my arms as a connectors not lifting agents.
Hold the bar with your hands lift it with your body, your arms should be relatively relaxed and totally straight throughout.
I am not totally sure on this but it looks as if you may have had some of the issues with lifting legs then back here too, but I reserve the right to be wrong here, it was hard to tell.

Bench press safety.
I train at home alone, sympathy is always welcome of course, so use the squat rack to ensure my bench safety knowing there is no spotter.
Powerlifting doesn't require a straight back and when lifting heavy I use the arch as a way of increasing what I can lift by reducing the range of movement and a way of increasing safety.
Having an arched back like this ) means I can set the bar catcher to just below the level the bar comes down to but above where it would be with my back straight like this | When I fail a lift, which is not uncommon, I relax my back to straight and slide out sideways swearing at myself internally for being a wuss, then rerack ready to do it again.
I am currently doing some straight back bench in my routine, or at least I will be when I get back to doing some weights, but these are lighter because I know this safety is removed. the current training is slow movement for intensity so if I get stuck I will just jerk it up. Current stuff I am doing is hypertrophy work not power lifting.

Music has to suit the person. As someone who hates profanity and virtually never uses it some are surprised to find out how much of my music is full of it. I am proudly arrogant so think no small beans of myself but I am also a hyperactive so when training I am venting surplus aggression I have held repressed and is generally aimed inward. I like what I can do but when training it is never enough and I hate myself for being so pathetically weak, slow etc. so music that is full of anger lie rage against the machine and Metallica or just plain abusive like Manson works well for me.
I trained with one guy who had music set up to cover timing etc. perfectly, all classical, mellower movements after each set, then build up just before next and furiously powerful crescendo during each set. It took him effort to set up but it worked brilliantly, people assuming classical is all fluffy and sweet don't know their stuff.

Good stuff. Keep it going. OI am going to read Goldie's post know and see how much repetition there is.

24.01.14 | Friday

Run: 3.24km in 27 minutes
Early morning, yawning during the first five minutes, feeling zombified. Terrified some birds along the way.

------------

I owe myself two days of workout log but my phone (which i use in note-taking, etc) is battery empty. Also crawling bit by bit to my bed, dragging laptop as i type this. Hella week at work. I'll resume the log tomorrow. Bouncing ball of sunshine sleep recharge. Signing off. Ciao!

:sleeping:

:) I diligently note it on my phone notepad right after gym time. I just need time to log in as i'm not online 24/7. Anyway, i guess i'm scoring poorly logging in on this site (like, you're right, what's the point in signing up here, if i am not to record on time), so i'll make it up from today onwards.

Showzzzzz a definite lack of commitmzzzzzzzzz!

Last edited:
20.1.14 | Monday

Squat - 3x7x25kg
Deadlift - 3x7x30kg
Stiff deadlift - 3x7x30kg
Bench press - 3x10x15kg

Dumbbell bench press - 3x10x5kg
One arm db row - 3x10x5kg *no pause*

Vertical row - 3x10x45kg
Lat pull down - 3x10x45kg
Abductor and adductor - 3x10x45kg

Assisted chin up - 3x10x43kg
45 degree back raise - 3x10x15

23.01.14 | Thursday

Bench press - 3x7x15kg
Dumbbell bench press - 3x10x5kg
One arm db row - 3x10x5kg

Vertical row - 3x10x45kg
Lat pull down - 3x10x30kg

Squat - 3x10x22.5kg
Deadlift - 3x5x30kg
Stiff deadlift - 3x5x30kg

- I feel that the week's hyperactive sched is taking its toll (plus the lack of sleep) so i have to slow it down a bit and get enough rest over the weekend to allow my body to recover.

- Also felt a little prick on my left wrist (had it injured ages ago from an accident). Will have it checked again to ensure safety.

I was kidding on the logging commitment. Doing the training is key, logging it on a public forum.
There is the classic joke of a trainer looking gutted as he realises he forgot to brag on Facebook so the workout was wasted.

Good stuff.

Hahah! Can imagine the trainer doing a classic screamo face.

Thanks!

I was kidding on the logging commitment. Doing the training is key, logging it on a public forum.
There is the classic joke of a trainer looking gutted as he realises he forgot to brag on Facebook so the workout was wasted.

Good stuff.

Bragging about your workout online within the first 45 minutes after your workout is when your body absorbs the most protein.

28.01.14 | Monday

20 mins of treadmill run (speed level 9-10 before cooldown)
Vertical row - 3x10x30kg
Lat pull down - 3x10x30kg

Db bench press - 3x10x5kg
One arm db row - 3x10x5kg

Abductor and adductor - 3x10x45kg
Assisted chin up - 3x10x43kg

Leg press - 3x10x45kg

Squat - 3x10x20kg

Bench press - 3x10x12.5kg

45 degree back raise - 3x15

- I didn't able to do much due to girl issues (monthly visit, tummy cramps, PMS crap). Heck, i didn't able to do any deadlift at all. This is the unfortunate week of the month whereas being a girl hurts and i feel like a walking jelly-O lol. I really don't want to miss gym so i just did lighter weights and had more breaks than usual in between workouts. Did a quick treadmill run too, for warm-up and effort to choo away the cramps.

Last edited:
Back