Ruthless Training Journal

I started powerlifting three and a half months ago. Being a 5ft2 petite, uncoordinated, accident-prone, clumsy girl, the training helped me a lot to improve my posture and strength. I am on my way to the fourth month. I still have a lot of things to learn, starting with correcting my stance and form, but i say the workouts are really changing my life not only physically but in terms of mental agility.

2013 fitness log was recorded and beginning the 2014 log by joining forums to get inspiration and reference to other people who are doing their own routines as well. :)

2.1.14 | Thursday

• Squat - 3x12x20kg
• Bench press - 3x10x15kg

• Shoulder press - 3x10x6kg
• One arm db row - 3x10x6kg

• Deadlift - 3x10x20kg barbell
• Stiff deadlift - 3x10x20kg barbell

• Adductor and abductor - 3x10x30kg
• Vertical row - 3x10x30kg
• Lat pull down - 3x10x30kg
• Assisted chin up - 3x10x43kg

New year, fresh start. Re-started again back to 20kg. Aiming to perfect and correct my form before i add more weights. I need to up my game. Goal is 50kg. But before i can trudge to that, i need to build a strong foundation.

6.2.13 | Monday

• Squat - 3x10x22.5kg

• Deadlift - 3x7x30kg
• Stiff deadlift - 3x7x30kg

• Vertical row - 3x10x30kg
• Lat pull down - 3x10x30kg
• 45 degree back raise - 3x12

9.2.13 | Thursday

• Squat - 3x10x22.5kg

• Deadlift - 3x10x30kg
• Stiff deadlift - 3x7x30kg

• 45 degree back raise - 3x12

- Didn't able to do much today cos i'm in a hurry for a quick travel itinerary. Will definitely make it up on Monday!

Your routine looks more like a bodybuilding and endurance routine than powerlifting at the moment, more emphasis on endurance.
This is not a criticism, it is better to start light and get form perfect than go massively heavy and injure yourself. It's just that what you are doing is more prep for powerlifting training than actual powerlifting training.
Ryan aka Goldfish is our resident powerlifter, got a nice shiny medal to prove it. I have done some and my wife was genetically gifted for it so between us we can give you plenty of assistance.

Powerlifting is first and foremost about precision of movement, a point many miss. The judges don't care how much you lift only how well you executed the movement. Someone else takes note of the weight.
At 5'2" you will have a distinct advantage us long limbed individuals will be very jealous of. With arch my wife could get the bench movement down to 5 or 6 inches, for me it was close to 2 feet. Powerlifting is not a tall persons sport. I competed once, and didn't come last in my weight class despite being taller than the next person by at least 2 inches, but the winner was some way ahead of me.
For additional co-ordination I did dance (ballet and contemporary) in fairness before the serious lifting. I still maintain that there is nothing to match it for body awareness and control, Pilates was good but real dance was better.

Welcome to the asylum.

Hi CrazyOldMan!

Thanks for the pointers! :) I'm really new to it so i'm still wading the waters. I am also new to this forum so i really appreciate helpful notes. I will definitely check out Ryan's journal.

Cheers!

He has a blog to with guidance on squat and deadlift technique too.
There are so many styles of training that work well with powerlifting. If you are new to it I would say just keep with what you are doing for a couple of months first. Then split out your workouts to focus on movements, I do squat, bench and deadlift sessions, Ryan's split is more combined. Maybe reduce reps and increase reps if you are confident on movement, if not stick with lower weight.
Styles I find work well
555s are the best thing I have ever done, and I look forward to having time to do it again. The principal is simple doing it needs time, commitment and absolute confidence with the movements. 5 exercises, 5 sets, 5 reps at 5 rep max. The catch is you have to be fresh enough each set to do the 5 rep max again. Most common mistake is setting the weight at a level below 5 rep max in anticipation of fatigue, which defeats the object. When doing this many, self included, need massive rests.
Pyramids start on high reps, low weight, work down the reps up the weight and back again. Firm favourite for many, can go all the way to 1 rep max if confident.
Simple sets or hells sets 3 sets of 6 at 6 rep max. Exercise volume optional. Really simple, similar idea to 555s and incredibly effective.

There are others these are my preferred.

Gotta make this quick. Just wanted to say good routine and welcome to the forum! I'll read more into everything when I have more than 10 seconds.

Thanks for the 555 suggestion and information! I learned something new! :)

I am currently doing 3 sets for big 3 (squat, deadlift, bench press) and other workouts (stiff leg deadlift, shoulder press, db row, vertical row, 45 degree back raise, etc). So far the basic that i've done is starting from the lowest/lightest weight (high reps) and increasing weights (lowering reps) in 3 sets. The heaviest i've done in squat and deadlift is 27.5 and 30kg. I seemed to be struggling in bench press though (22kg+). Someone commented that my form in squat and deadlift isn't good so i did some deload and re-do it back to lightest. I also resorted into taking videos whilst on workout (squat, deadlift) to review if i'm doing it correctly as i don't have a trainer or workout body to check on the spot.

12.1.14 | Sunday

Cycle - 7km around the neighborhood, uphills and downhills
Happy with my progress, considering i just learned how to ride a bike only last year (LOL). :cheeky:

On cycle playlist includes

13.1.14 | Monday

Whilst waiting for my turn to use the squat rack:
• Vertical row - 3x10x27kg
• Lat pull down - 3x10x27kg

• Bench press - 3x10x20kg
• Shoulder press - 3x10x5kg

Tadaah, and finally, the squat rack got less crowded so...
• Squat - 3x10x22.5kg

• Deadlift - 3x7x30kg
• Stiff leg deadlift - 3x7x30kg

• 45 degree backraise - 3x15

:)

Extra-curricular:

• Ever since i moved to a new apartment nearby my workplace, i take 10-15 minutes walk daily to get to work. Sometimes, it takes me 20 when i walk at leisure with music beating on my ears. I can take a train ride (one station away) but i still prefer to walk to and fro. :sport:

• My job is both physically and mentally challenging. There are days that i'll just sit down and do design stuff. But plenty of days deal with lifting/moving/pushing artworks (maximum of 3-4 metres in size), including installation, running here and there. As much as i want to minimize movement on a gym day hahah but most of the time i couldn't help it. So it ends up in a really challenging workout evening. When this happens, i try to rest an hour or two before gym. The best thing about being stronger is i don't get canvasses bigger than me fall all over me helpless hahah. I've grown some resistance to falling objects. :cool:

I am currently doing 3 sets for big 3 (squat, deadlift, bench press) and other workouts (stiff leg deadlift, shoulder press, db row, vertical row, 45 degree back raise, etc). So far the basic that i've done is starting from the lowest/lightest weight (high reps) and increasing weights (lowering reps) in 3 sets. The heaviest i've done in squat and deadlift is 27.5 and 30kg. I seemed to be struggling in bench press though (22kg+). Someone commented that my form in squat and deadlift isn't good so i did some deload and re-do it back to lightest. I also resorted into taking videos whilst on workout (squat, deadlift) to review if i'm doing it correctly as i don't have a trainer or workout body to check on the spot.

Something I did recently when I thought my form was suffering was video myself, put the vids on you tube tagged private so they don't come up in searches then post them here to be shredded.
I don't do boastful videos, if I'm getting it right that's fine, I just log it. When I post a vid I want it critiqued to death because it's better than injuring myself. Justin and Ryan aka Goldfish did a great job at picking up every error and some great guidance.

Upload them and post them here. You will get some very informative tips and critiques. I need to get a video up of my bench for critique. I'm wearing my shoulders out too quickly, but I'm not flaring my elbows. One of the guys here is always willing to help.

16.1.14 | Thursday

• Shoulder press - 3x10x5kg
• One arm db row - 3x10x5kg

(I had a really scary mishap with the bench. I usually do 20kg but with a spotter. I'm not very sure if it's the absence of a spotter or i just felt a little off during the moment. Almost got the bar falling on my chest if not for the guy nearby, i dreaded what would have happened. Anyway, i went back doing 15kg. Perhaps i'm not really that strong doing 20kg? :costumed6: )

• Squat - 3x10x22.5kg
• Deadlift - 3x7x30kg
• Stiff leg deadlift - 3x7x30kg

• 45 degree backraise - 3x15

--- I had to cut off gym time cos i had to rush to another event. This is one of the cases i wish there's a decent gym in the neighborhood (current gym is 15-20mins train ride from my place).

Food, healthy diet concerns, etc.

:eating:

I feel like i gained unnecessary fat from the weekend's festivities. Attended cultural events, ate food that i couldn't remember the name and even if i could remember it, i won't be able to pronounce it either hahah! Ever since i started working out, i became mindful of what i should and should not eat. I'm still guilty of having a cheat day once in a while but i developed some discipline. So during the feast, i couldn't help but felt like i was being served the kiss of death hahah (mixed emotions from a happy tummy and a horrified dignity)!

Never felt so thankful that me and my friend had to set-up and pack-up photo equipments weighing more than a hundred kg all together.

Must work hard to burn it all this coming week. :action:

<< eating cereals (yes, in the evening) and cranberries whilst typing this log entry. >:p

Video link

Here are some videos i took during squats (few deadlifts as well) -->

Apologies for the bad angle on the most recent upload. I wasn't in my fave squat rack (where i usually set the phonecam in comfort for a better capture).

:)

Back