Ruby's Diary

ruby__stone

i've been doing some reading and a particular post regarding Atkins’ caught my attention...so i re-read the diet that I never attempted, to refresh my memory about the program…I had mentioned in another post that a friend of mine had been hospitalized from kidney problems while on the diet, however, for the record I called her and she said that it was because she had prior complications in childhood with her kidney’s and that the doctor said that Atkins’ didn’t cause the problems but excess protein in her case aggravated her situation…so…since I don’t have a history of any organ problems I am comfortable attempting the diet and today I decided I will try the induction phase for two weeks…I guess I feel like I have nothing to lose but weight…I need a program to follow (because I need routine) and my research tells me that Atkins does work and I think it will be the boost I need to start my weight loss…however I am accepting that I cannot simply fall back into old habits once I am able to re-introduce carbs and I feel that I am indeed ready to start accounting for my ‘emotional-overeating’ habits…

so my final decision is that I can personally see myself doing the induction phase for two weeks (and most likely longer if I see results) and I do believe that if I follow the program correctly I can eventually re-introduce certain foods in moderation which will allow me to appreciate what an appropriate daily carb intake should be…

i intend on exercising at least 4 days a week (cardio and weight training exercises) and I will keep my daily journal for two weeks…

as an aside…i am also reading the ‘Ultimate Weight Solution’ written by Dr. Phil and the self reflecting exercises he suggests you perform are mind boggling! I always considered myself an emotionally healthy person…but I’m now realizing that I am an emotional eater and that in the past six months food has not been consumed for nourishment but as emotional comfort….I definitely recommend the book as a good resource for guiding anyone through understanding why, where, when, what and how they eat… if they don’t already know…

my main concern now is that I don’t want to re-gain the weight I intend to lose…and I’m actually paranoid about gaining it back and I haven’t even lost it yet! am I being a nut?!

is it a fair statement to say that the main reason people gain back weight is not because they begin eating carbs again, but because they slack with their daily exercise routine and fall back into overall unhealthy overeating habits once they reach their goal?

anyone have suggestions, warnings, advice?

today’s diary entry:

breakfast:
1 small egg with 1/4C egg whites scrambled
1 high fiber toast
coffee with 1tsp coffee mate

snack:
4oz hard cheese

lunch/dinner:
8oz veal broiled
1 roasted red pepper
1C steamed broccoli with 1tsp olive oil

night snack:
black decaff earl grey tea

(for the record I stayed up really late doing homework and I slept into mid-afternoon so I didn’t get a chance to eat three meals...i know it doesn’t sound like much food but I actually felt pretty good today and since today isn’t a cardio day I wasn’t going to eat more if I wasn’t hungry for the sake of eating…)

breakfast:
1/2C egg whites
1C 1% milk with espresso

lunch:
1C broccoli steamed with 1/2 sweet pepper
4oz veal broiled
1tsp olive oil
coffee with 1tbsp non-dairy creamer

snack:
1/2C crabmeat

dinner:
1 1/2C minestrone
coffee with 1tbsp non-dairy creamer
diet gingerale

i think i'll need a late night snack...i'll be working well into the morning hours...

no time for exercise...not enough sleep...finals are here

Back