Rob's Reboot

Just reading through your reboot Rob--nice idea to start fresh :)

As for taking our time and working for our food--i could use more of that, I'm a gobble-it-down-quick sort! I've tried doing mindful eating but just don't do well with that! The worst though is when I am especially hungry--then a lot of food goes in fast!!

I'm not sleeping well at the moment, Rob & it's hard to feel full of energy. Hope we both get that sorted. Tomorrow will be a rest day for me, for sure. We have to be sensible about it all.

I weighed 205.0 this morning. After posting, I had about 500 more calories so the total for yesterday was 3349. That was probably a break even day. So far this week, the cumulative deficit total is 4281 which is a little more than a pound on the scale. These are all rough estimates mainly because exercise calories involve a lot of uncertainty. I've been tracking and trying to get an idea of the calories I burn for awhile now though and I think I'm in the general ballpark with most numbers. Maybe a 100-200 calorie margin of error.

Anyway, I feel so much better this morning because of that increase in calories. I was feeling awful yesterday. I knew my deficits on Sunday and Monday were too large and I compensated but I didn't overcompensate. Many many many times, days like yesterday would turn into 6k+ calorie overcompensation days. This is the advanced part of this. I just need to be diligent, keep things in perspective and deal with reality and what's actually happening and I'll get better over time. It's so hard to kick a mentality that my calories can't be over a certain mark but I do believe that kind of thinking can be harmful and unrealistic and helps no one.

Maybe not my nose but I do enjoy food that requires "work": shrimp with the shell on, pistachios, chicken wings... It gives me another level of interaction which is somehow satisfying. Of course my general diet is so high-fiber it takes me around 25 minutes of continuous chewing to get it all down properly :)

This is such a great point, LaMa. I wish I could get into this type of dynamic but sadly I get frustrated when I have to work for my food. I remember when I was a kid, I did enjoy cracking nuts or shells or nibbling on bones. I think it's possible to get there again but as an adult there is so much to stress about and feel threatened by and for me being able to wolf down my food is somehow protective against all of that.

I looked the bob-a-lot toy up, it does look like a good idea, but my dogs can tear any dog toy to shreds in minutes, how does it hold up to aggressive chewing?

Cam has chewed through the top and the company sent me a couple replacements. Now I just take it up when she's done so she doesn't destroy it.

It's great that you are feeling more energy, I think my living in a calorie deficit has raised my energy levels.

That seems really odd, Rob. I think it's not at all a typical experience for just about anyone trying to lose weight. Maybe you're energized by the success or because you're lighter rather than the deficit?

I'm not sleeping well at the moment, Rob & it's hard to feel full of energy. Hope we both get that sorted. Tomorrow will be a rest day for me, for sure. We have to be sensible about it all.

Sorry to hear you're not sleeping well, Cate. Agree about being sensible. On those days, I just have to try to stop or slow down and try to rest, get it where and when I can or the next day. I can't beat it another way and ignoring it makes things worse. Glad to hear you're taking time to rest.

Many many many times, days like yesterday would turn into 6k+ calorie overcompensation days. This is the advanced part of this. I just need to be diligent, keep things in perspective and deal with reality and what's actually happening and I'll get better over time. It's so hard to kick a mentality that my calories can't be over a certain mark but I do believe that kind of thinking can be harmful and unrealistic and helps no one.
:beating: Love that.

Sorry to hear you're not sleeping well, Cate. Agree about being sensible. On those days, I just have to try to stop or slow down and try to rest, get it where and when I can or the next day. I can't beat it another way and ignoring it makes things worse. Glad to hear you're taking time to rest.
Rob, I rubbed Magnesium oil into my feet when I went to bed last night after also making sure I didn't doze off during the evening & I slept like a log. I used to do this every night, but when I bought expensive organic cotton bedding a couple of years ago I stopped. This morning I feel like a new person. I had played golf yesterday & made sure I ate more last night as well. Here's to being sensible :)

Day 4

Food
Eggs over easy and smoothie (banana, mango, yogurt, almond milk, protein powder, psyllium husk) and fish oil and flax seed oil supplement
Lunch was salad with chicken and light zesty Italian dressing, Ezekiel bread, 2 servings 10 bean soup
Dinner was chicken tortilla soup
Snacks were pistachios, frozen mango, salad with Italian dressing, roasted seaweed
Total calories in were 3543.

Exercise
Warm-up on the elliptical, 8min
Standing calf and quad stretches
Leg/hip swings
4 sets of 30 reps (2 sets with resistance), reverse hyper
1 mile incline walking, 3.9mph, 4% incline
8 mile tempo run, 5.6mph, 1% incline
Total calories out were around 1526.

Sleep
6 hours 16 minutes

I had a good day. I did a long run and it felt pretty good but I started losing my form toward the end. I didn't use the cream my doctor prescribed and I didn't use any ibuprofen. Both knees are feeling fine. My back hurts a little so I'm icing it. I'm in a small deficit, probably around 500. The run took a lot out of me. I will rest tomorrow.

205! So things are moving the way you're wanting them too - great! :) And that the compression socks make your legs feel good sounds like a good enough reason to use them to me! :)
I do enjoy food that requires "work": shrimp with the shell on, pistachios, chicken wings...
Yes - as per the sunflower seeds mentioned elsewhere, too. It's engaging with the food, and enjoying it on more levels than one - nuts especially, I think, because you get all the pleasure of a puzzle (walnuts! what were the nuts you cracked as a kid?) - and it slows down the rate of consumption.
But then, there's that wolfing down the food does give gives you pleasure, or a sense of being forearmed against stress ( or against deprivation?) which isn't lightly to be set aside. Still, if you once enjoyed eating differently, and if :
I think it's possible to get there again
then maybe that's something to be put down for future reference? I do really admire your analytical approach, Rob - and I'm pretty sure that what you set as a goal, you'll work out the way to get there.
As shown indeed, by the 205! :) Cheers and congrats again for that!

I'm down to 204.6 this morning. I feel OK, pretty good. I think my body is worn out because of the running. I'm at 26.6 miles so far this week. Last week I got in about 22.7 total. Today, I'll try to stay away from exercise except for walking. Tomorrow, it would be good to do some cross-training. We'll see how I feel.

Day 5

Food
Eggs over easy and smoothie (banana, mango, yogurt, almond milk, protein powder, psyllium husk) and fish oil and flax seed oil supplement
Lunch was chicken tortilla soup
Dinner was salad with chicken and light zesty Italian dressing and flax seed oil supplement
Snacks were frozen mango and salad with Italian dressing
Total calories in were 2661.

Exercise
4 mile walk with Cam, she loved it
Total calories out were around 504.

Sleep
6 hours 45 minutes

I had a busy work day. No running today, just a long walk outside. I'm probably pretty close to even or in a slight deficit today. I tried vegemite and it is not good. I barely got one bite down and I don't normally waste new things that I'm trying. I will give an earnest effort but this I could not. Maybe I spread it on too thick. Yuck! I'm sorry I can't get to others' diaries tonight. I try to get around to at least one or two once a day but some days like today, I can't make it. I don't know how you all do it.

I'm sorry I can't get to others' diaries tonight. I try to get around to at least one or two once a day but some days like today, I can't make it. I don't know how you all do it.
Don't be sorry, you should only do what helps you stay on track. My secret is fast typing, and not being too choosy about thinking what I am typing. And it does help me, reading what others are doing and saying reminds me of where I've been and hopefully am going. Posting on other's diaries forces me to read them.

I'm sorry I can't get to others' diaries tonight. I try to get around to at least one or two once a day but some days like today, I can't make it. I don't know how you all do it.
Yes there are a lot of diaries to keep up with--i like that it's an active site and I like spending a bit of time in the evening perusing them, but I don't keep up with all of them either as some do!

204.0 this morning. I feel pretty good, still a little fatigued. I could probably use another rest day but I'll probably end up running later. My back is bothering me, it's just uncomfortable. I had a long work day yesterday and my posture wasn't the best. I think I can continue on the same path with running and food. I don't feel like I have a ton of energy like I did while gaining weight but I also don't feel like I'm depleted. During the last run, my hands felt cold and it was a push. I'll have to be mindful of the balance I'm trying to achieve.

:iagree: with LaMa. Please be careful. Rob.

Back