Rob's Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
5-12-19 lunch:
- 2 grilled chicken breasts
- very small amount leftover mediterranean salad trio bowl with chicken (Zoe's kitchen; pesto farro, quinoa, cauliflower rice,Greek tzatziki, Italian salsa verde, feta, cucumbers, dill)
- side quinoa (Zoe's kitchen; quinoa, carrots, cabbage, green onion, red peppers, tomatoes, celery, feta, lemon vinaigrette)
- serving pistachios
Total kilocalories: 669

5-12-19 dinner:
- 7oz grilled salmon with mixed vegetables (Outback)
- house salad with lite balsamic dressing (Outback)
Total kilocalories: 730

Total kilocalories consumed for 5-11-19: 1,790

5-12-19 exercise:
- 9 mile run (MapMyWalk says 1420 kilocalories burned)
Total steps: 19,258

5-12-19 Fitbit total calories burned: 3390
5-12-19 MFP calories burned: 3639
5-12-19 MFP calorie deficit: 1600

5-12-19 sleep: 5hr 52min

5-13-19 weight: 243.6 pounds

5-13-19 breakfast:
- 2 eggs
- bowl of muesli with kefir and blackberries
- multivitamin
Total calories: 473

Feel unmotivated and sluggish. Woke up in the early morning and couldn't fall back asleep for 3 hours. Got another hour. I think the melatonin is making me groggy and might be interfering with staying asleep. Will skip a day and see if that helps.

How long before going to bed do you take the melatonin? Maybe taking it earlier would make a difference.

I've been taking it about 30min to an hour before bed. It's supposed to help both with falling and staying asleep. Waking up is most likely because of the medication I was on. I've been struggling to get more sleep for the past 3 months or so. I felt groggy, tired, and unmotivated all day today. Based on my history and sensitivity, I'm going to try stopping it first to see what that does then may try changing the timing.

5-13-19 lunch:
- bison burger on sprouted bread with red onion, Swiss cheese, and mustard
Total kcal: 718

5-13-19 snacks:
- 2 dates
Total kcal: 140

5-13-19 dinner:
- 1/2 avocado on sprouted bread
- 1 cup yogurt with pistachios and almonds
Total kcal: 627

Total kcal consumed for 5-13-19: 1,958

5-13-19 exercise:
- 4 mile run (treadmill says 1172 kcal burned)
- 2 miles incline walking
Total steps: 20,124

5-13-19 Fitbit total kcal burned: 4310
5-13-19 MFP kcal burned: 3661
5-13-19 MFP kcal deficit: 1703

5-13-19 sleep: 6hr 53min

5-14-19 weight: 242.6 pounds

5-14-19 breakfast:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup yogurt with 2/3 cup blueberries
- 1/2 avocado on sprouted bread
- multivitamin
Total calories: 481

Felt better this morning. I still woke up in the morning but was able to get back to sleep faster. I'm still a little groggy. Potential concerns right now are the supplement and my weight loss rate. Perhaps I only needed the supplement for a couple of days because it upped my sleep a bit. I feel better that I didn't take it last night so I won't again tonight and probably not until it's apparent I'm still struggling too much with sleep. Re the weight loss rate, it's fast. I've lost 11.4 pounds in 13 days. Today is day 14. I haven't binged but have felt slightly depleted and this could also explain some sleep disturbances. I don't have major cravings and I was out on Mother's Day and last night I went to my niece's concert. The 11.4 pounds includes some water weight (about 7 pounds?) so if that's subtracted, it would mean I've lost about 2.4 pounds per week so far. I'm happy with that and I believe it's sustainable for me right now. I'm not concerned I'm not getting enough nutrients because my diet is pretty healthy. I could use more veggies and protein which I'll work on. I know I've got a lot more to lose so I'm going to try to get in the long-term mindset better because I've been pretty eager to just get the weight off as fast as possible.

All sounds sensible. See what happens in the upcoming week and evaluate further. So far you´re doing great!

Thanks LaMaria!

5-14-19 lunch:
- turkey burger on sprouted bread with red onion, Swiss cheese, and mustard
- 1.5 servings steamed broccoli
Total kcal: 753

5-14-19 snacks:
- 1/2 chocolate chip protein bar (RxBar)
Total kcal: 110

5-14-19 dinner:
- mediterranean salad trio bowl with chicken (Zoe's kitchen; chicken, pesto farro, quinoa, cauliflower rice,Greek tzatziki, Italian salsa verde, feta, cucumbers, dill)
- side quinoa (Zoe's kitchen; quinoa, carrots, cabbage, green onion, red peppers, tomatoes, celery, feta, lemon vinaigrette)
Total kcal: 860

Total kcal consumed for 5-14-19: 2,210

5-14-19 exercise:
- 5.5 mile run (treadmill says 1552 kcal burned)
- 2.5 miles incline walking
Total steps: 22,008

5-14-19 Fitbit total kcal burned: 4303
5-14-19 MFP kcal burned: 3753
5-14-19 MFP kcal deficit: 1543

Reactions: PLB
5-14-19 sleep: 5hr 26min

5-15-19 weight: 241.8 pounds

5-15-19 breakfast:
- 2 eggs
- bowl of muesli with kefir and 1/2 cup blueberries
- multivitamin
- 3 cups decaf coffee
Total calories: 447

Sleep went back down last night but I'm not feeling groggy. I will try the melatonin again tonight and I think that'll help determine whether it truly helps. It may be that I'm overly sensitive to the dose I took too and I might need to take it every other day. 12.2 pounds lost in 13 days is really darn good and I feel good overall. I think I have a lower mood because of the lower calories but it's very manageable and I think exercise plays a big roll in regulating my mood. I'm a little tired of the treadmill right now so will go for another long walk today. Weather is beautiful.

Excercising outside is a lot more motivating to me than doing cardio inside. Especially in nice weather!

That is definitely some quick weightloss. I also know what you mean bout exercise regulating your mood. It's the best thing I've found to help control some of my issues with anxiety.

5-15-19 lunch:
- bison burger on sprouted bread with red onion, Swiss cheese, and mustard
- 3.5 servings steamed broccoli
- fiber supplement
Total kcal: 823

5-15-19 snacks:
- clementine
Total kcal: 40

5-15-19 dinner:
- caprese salad (Coolgreens; spring mix, baby arugula, grape tomatoes, mozzarella, red onion, croutons, balsamic vinaigrette)
- California bowl (Coolgreens; red quinoa, brown rice, roasted seasoned chicken, red peppers, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, spiced pecans)
Total kcal: 852

Total kcal consumed for 5-15-19: 2,164

5-15-19 exercise:
- none
Total steps: 5,351

5-15-19 Fitbit total kcal burned: 2803
5-15-19 MFP kcal burned: 2209
5-15-19 MFP kcal deficit: 45

Was going to go for a walk today but I was too tired so I took a nap. I haven't taken a nap in a long time and it felt like I needed it. I think all this exercising has caught up with me a little bit. The weight loss so far is obviously a huge factor. Perhaps the warning signs were grogginess during the day and uneven sleep when I thought it was the melatonin causing it. I also went out twice earlier this week or perhaps it's all of these things which is the more likely explanation. I do feel better after the nap and think I'll get right back to it tomorrow which is my birthday. I'll summarize week 2 progress soon. Overall, I'm happy with my progress so far and this journaling/logging/diary thing is great! It's holding me a little more accountable and I'm able to see patterns a little better and I feel like I have the space to work things out. People have been very supportive too. I feel like I have a good handle on things and my confidence in not failing/completing more weight loss has increased.

Last edited:
Reactions: PLB
I feel like I have a good handle on things and my confidence in not failing/completing more weight loss has increased.
That's a great place to be in! And I'm 100% certain that having a nap instead of working out once in ten days is more help than hindrance.

5-15-19 sleep: 5hr 41min

5-16-19 weight: 241.8 pounds

5-16-19 breakfast:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup yogurt with 0.4 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup yogurt with 1 serving pistachios
- 2 cups decaf coffee
Total calories: 447

I'm exhausted, groggy, and a little agitated this morning. I'm pretty sure the melatonin is causing the grogginess and I think I'm tired from resting yesterday. Sometimes, when I stop and take a break to rest, I can't get enough rest and it's hard to get motivated again. It's been like this since I got off the medication I was taking almost 9 months ago. I will probably try to take it easy again today with the hope that I can pick it back up tomorrow. Another day of rest would be good for me. We'll see how I feel later today.

Thanks guys! Yesterday was challenging. My birthday stirred up a lot and I really wanted to binge. Binging is definitely an emotional response for me. I was floundering a bit and realized I needed to get myself out of the funk so I went to the gym. Today I feel better. Completely different actually. It's difficult to tell how certain situations affect me sometimes. No need to go into it but I got lots I'm dealing with and thinking about and am not particularly happy about my 40th. Anyway, I ate a little more than usual and I noticed that the rest I had on Wednesday was restorative because I was able to run better. I'm still worn down a little and need to work on resting. I don't have any idea what that might look like for me honestly. Are there guidelines based on data about how to get adequate rest? When I see data, I can make it work better for me than following what works for others. I will investigate this because I need to start giving myself permission to relax more.

5-16-19 lunch:
- 2 grilled seasoned chicken breasts
- grilled salmon on sprouted bread with red onion, Swiss cheese, and mustard
- 1 serving pistachios
- 2 Medjool dates
Total kcal: 1,046

5-16-19 snacks:
- 1/2 cup yogurt with 1 serving pistachios and 1 serving almonds
- 1/2 chocolate chip protein bar (Rx Bar)
Total kcal: 480

5-16-19 dinner:
- 1/2 cup yogurt with 1 serving pistachios and 1 serving almonds
- slice sprouted bread with almond butter
Total kcal: 650

Total kcal consumed for 5-16-19: 2,622

5-16-19 exercise:
- 5.5 mile run (treadmill says 1,542)
- 2 miles incline walking
Total steps: 20,761

5-16-19 Fitbit total kcal burned: 4403
5-16-19 MFP kcal burned: 3513