Responding to Trolls and Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Members:

We get hit frequently with spammers and occassionally with troll monkeys who are out to start trouble.

There's a Report Post function that is the only way to deal with these people.

By responding to the trolls or the spam you make the clean up work a lot harder than it should be. It doesn't help out anything when you respond -and you're just giving the troll what they are asking for-- attention.

Report the post and keep going.

Thanks

Hello Maleficient,

I was looking for the report post function yesterday as I did not want to reply or even rep them so that they could see my user name;), but I didn't see it. Can you please explain how to report a post?

Down with the trolls!!
NO:spam: NO:troll:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:

Ohhhhh I see it now, That little upside down yield sign with a black line in it :) Nevermind:blush5:

Last edited:
Hi Maleficent,

Really sorry if this is in the wrong place! (I can't PM you because I've not been a member long enough.)

I noticed my posts early this morning were deleted :-( I assume that's cos I linked to my website? I didn't mean them to come across as spam ... I was trying to help out the people I was replying to.

If there are guidelines about what's considered appropriate in the way of linking to other sites, could someone give me a quick pointer towards them? Cheers! (I did read the FAQ when I joined but that seemed to relate more to technical know-how than posting etiquette).

Again, sorry if I'm not supposed to post on the news forum! Couldn't figure out another way to contact you.

Ta,

Ali

thisis a community ali, not a means for which you to send traffic to your site. If you want to join the community and participate in discussions, that'd be great - but we don't allow people directly linking to their own sites... You can put your personal site in your profile, but not signature.

If a site is relavent to a discussion, then it can be included, as long as its not a blog type site that contains google ads or other advetising.

we don't allow people directly linking to their own sites

Ah, I wondered if that's where I'd gone wrong! Thanks :) And sorry for causing any aggro, it really wasn't intentional. I probably just jumped into discussions a bit too keenly.

Cheers,

Ali

Yeah, I definitely should have known better and will react differently in the future. Ignorance and cruelty just get my backhair up I guess. Especially when I'm not expecting them.

I don't know why Report Post didn't even occur to me (can you say doh?) but I'll know what to click in the future. :eek:

I apologize for making a difficult situation more difficult.

Last edited:
I reported but there was no one around.....I sat for a good long time watching that crap lol

Pink Clouds if you look at some ones post, on the right side right above the posters join date there is a little icon that looks like a triangle with a black mark (looks kinda like an exclamation mark) in it...click on that and that will take you to the page to report the post

Yea, it was one of those rare times when no mods were around. It's the weekend, lol, some of like to go out and leave the computer! :p

But they were definitely left with a lot of time to do damage.

Yeah, that's why I got so pissed. Those monkeys were posting on Newcomers introductory posts and everything. UGH. People like that drive me crazy.

Last night I definitely wished for mod power while I watched them bomb the forums...I woud have *blitzed* those guys. :D

Luckily, Steve came back! Good thing you were having a boring Saturday night. ;)

Maverick, I know what you mean....I run my own forums and to have to sit helplessly by and watch that crap when you know it would just take you 5 minutes to stop it all drives a person insane!!!

Yeah Mal, I was a bad girl. :eek: It a sudden sweeping bout of stupid. Must have been contagious, dragged in by those spammers. I definitely know better than to feed the trolls.

The posts didn't bother me personally so much, but I didn't want the newbies to see all that stuff. They come here for support, you know?

Last edited:
Yeah...rolls off my back, but some people it wont and they were getting really obnoxious in the photograph and diary threads...People that arent used to behaviour like that could really get offended

Meh, it's done with thankfully......

and Ty for the clean up,I hopped on ans was like WTF so I just PM'ED you and left it at that,I didn't even update my diary until they were all gone,didn't feel like stopping to their level,Thanks again

and Ty for the clean up,I hopped on ans was like WTF so I just PM'ED you and left it at that,I didn't even update my diary until they were all gone,didn't feel like stopping to their level,Thanks again

You are welcome.

I just joined up after a friend recommended that I take a look. My sig. was moderated before I even posted anything at all. You guys must really take a hammering from spammers. This is actually the first forum I've joined that does not even allow a personal website in the sig. Oh well, so be it, I certainly understand the need to keep the abusers at bay and applaud your efforts.

LTW

I just joined up after a friend recommended that I take a look. My sig. was moderated before I even posted anything at all. You guys must really take a hammering from spammers. This is actually the first forum I've joined that does not even allow a personal website in the sig. Oh well, so be it, I certainly understand the need to keep the abusers at bay and applaud your efforts.

LTW

Oh we allow personal websites.

What we don't allow are websites that make money by being posted in sigs here. So if your site had google ads or something like that..... it's moderated.

Welcome to the community.

Please don't delete me!

I just registered a few minutes ago and posted something in the Newbies section. I talked about my blog and how instrumental it's been in my weight loss this time around. Then I came over here and read all of this stuff about how this is wrong. I'm sorry. Now that I know I won't do it again. Plus from reading this it sounds like people who post links are the scum of the earth. I would like to think I am a decent person...clueless at times but decent. Sorry again!

I was also wondering why websites with Goolge ad were so bad? This website has tons of Google ads. Take care!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back