Raw Food Diet

melissa1780

Has anyone on this board seen the trailer for the documentary "Raw for 30 Days" You can watch the trailer at
()

It is about six individuals living with Diabetes on a diet consisting mainly of fast food and then switching to a 100% raw food diet.
What does everyone think of this idea? Is it someone anyone here has tried before? Most people in my family eventually develop diabetes and I’d like to prevent myself of doing the same.
The homepage for this film is:

Preventing diabetes is more than possible without resulting to a 100% raw food diet. Health benefits? Sure. But, not necessary to "prevent" diabetes.

Raw is a great idea!

I watched the video! It was great! I'm currently doing the Raw Detox program from the book by Natalia Rose. I love this book. I've read a few different raw food books now, and this is by far the best one. Instead of guilting you into it, or making you dive head-first into a 100% raw lifestyle, it focuses on gradually moving towards it from wherever you're at right now. For example I did the questionaire and I'm currently a level 3 on the 5 steps. 1 being totally raw. So from there it gives me a few straightforward things to work on. I feel like this is attainable, even if it takes me a few years. I think going raw or even just eating more uncooked foods is one of the best things you can do for yourself and the people around you.
ps Ani Phyo's recipe's rock! (she's on youtube too)

I'd like to go "more raw" I've been eating more fruits when i want to snack. it takes a change of pace, buying different foods, etc. keep us posted please.

Ive never gone raw in a diet, but I have eaten a lot of raw food on a regular basis. Obviously I didnt see any of the great benefits because it was mixed in with my regular diet, but the food is good if you prepare it correctly.

I have heard wonderful things about raw diets. I personally don't think I could handle it....just with how much I go out to eat with family and friends and trying to keep things interesting. My grandmother did a mostly raw diet and she drank a LOT of fresh juice she juiced herself. She felt absolutely wonderful when she was sticking to it (she has been going on and off it for the past 3 years or so).

If you are only looking to prevent diabetes, there are other, less drastic ways. One book that changed my life and taught me A LOT is Eat to Live. He is all about health and he talks a lot about his patients who have overcome their different health issues by changing what they eat. If you looked back on what sorts of foods your family members with diabetes used to eat, their diet was probably not the best.....or at least not the best it could be.

I'm at 50% raw right now. I'm trying to bring it up to 75% eventually. I'll see if I can find that video on youtube.

Check out this video
Paul Nison: Raw Life
It is over an hour, so watch it when you have time.

I did 100% raw

About 6 months ago I found the Raw diet. I jumped in pretty quick. Here are my expeirences on it:

Pros:
- skin and hair gorgeous!
- stress level down tremendously
- energy UP UP UP UP UP UP UP like a natural high or something lol (no ive never done drugs EVER)
- did lose some weight

Cons:
- serisouly 100% raw forever???? I dont think so. I have a family! My husband and two year old daughter couldnt eat this way.

Its something that you have to commit too forever not a diet a lifestyle change.

100% raw means nothing cooked over a certain temp no milk etc. I felt like yea it got rid of a couple pounds but it wasnt a forever thing for me.

Also you have to think about your surroundings are there enough health food stores around you to carry the food that you need? If there isnt you have to ship in things and thats $$$$$$$$$$

Heres my BEST suggestion make your lifestyle RAW as much as possible

when I grocery shop now I do a outer circle trip i call it. i get all my food from the outer areas which is produce and fresh meats. all the processed are in the middle I stay out of there! :)

i have a friend who does it and loves it. she has to eat a LOT to keep up her energy. she is married and has several children but i don't believe they eat raw too, just her. another friend of mine decided to try it, in the middle of winter, in maine. it didn't work out so well. i think she is going to try it again once it gets warm. she makes everything from scratch (uses a grain mill, all that sort of stuff) so i don't think it will be too difficult for her. her children and husband will not be doing it with her either.

It is harder to go raw if you live in a place where the seasons change, however, you can heat your food up to 118 degrees F. (some say 115 degrees F). 2 Good things that do this are a dehydrator and a Vitamix blender.

oh, yeah...the two i've mentioned both have a dehydrator and the vitmix blender. everyone i know who has the vitamix is completely in love with it. even if you aren't doing raw, both of these can be pretty handy.

I've really wanted to go raw for awhile now, but honestly i dont have hte time or money to buy and cook so many meals separate from my family. I'm already a vegan so i figure i'm like halfway there. I did buy Ani's raw food food kitchen....it seems good but i wasn't really into the sun burger nad flax "bread" that i made...

but it was probably just me...it tasted to healthy for me...ridiculous right??

(we do have raw olive oil now though and raw agave nectar : ) )

The vitamix is such a great product. I agree, anyone can enjoy it, not just veg*ns. It is high end though, but it lasts forever and works great.

I figured I'd chime in here. I've toyed with going fully raw (I'm probably 60-75% now, just by default.), but I can't rationalize it and it would be really hard for me to get my macro ratios right if I were raw. I could consume a lot of fat and a lot of carbs, but not quite enough protein. Or I wouldn't be able to achieve the right percentage of protien. I consume raw fruits and veggies and legumes and eat raw nut butters. But I also consume a fair amount of rice and/or soy protein powder, soymilk, and tofu. The only warm/cooked food I'm eating right now is brown rice. And on Saturdays I have a boca burger. I prefer raw foods for their respective tastes and nutrient values and I eat a 90-95% whole foods diet because, well, because I get to eat more. (I'm vegan and have been vegan for about half my life.)

Raw doesn't always mean healthy. I know a guy who made the most amazing raw banana coconut cream pie with an almond crust. The whole pie (served 10-12) had about 9000 calories in it. Do what? Yes, 9000 calories.

I love "Delights of the Garden" by Imar Hutchins. And "Vegetarian Soul Food" is also one of his recipe books, but half the recipes are raw and half aren't. It's all vegan though.

Man, there used to be a Delights of the Garden restaurant in DC, in Northwest, right across from Howard. And that place served the best carrot-tuna wrap I've ever had. This was years ago, before raw restaurants were popping up all over major metro areas.

-Tamara

About 6 months ago I found the Raw diet. I jumped in pretty quick. Here are my expeirences on it:

Pros:
- skin and hair gorgeous!
- stress level down tremendously
- energy UP UP UP UP UP UP UP like a natural high or something lol (no ive never done drugs EVER)
- did lose some weight

Cons:
- serisouly 100% raw forever???? I dont think so. I have a family! My husband and two year old daughter couldnt eat this way.

Its something that you have to commit too forever not a diet a lifestyle change.

100% raw means nothing cooked over a certain temp no milk etc. I felt like yea it got rid of a couple pounds but it wasnt a forever thing for me.

Also you have to think about your surroundings are there enough health food stores around you to carry the food that you need? If there isnt you have to ship in things and thats $$$$$$$$$$

Heres my BEST suggestion make your lifestyle RAW as much as possible

when I grocery shop now I do a outer circle trip i call it. i get all my food from the outer areas which is produce and fresh meats. all the processed are in the middle I stay out of there! :)

This :) Like I said in the other thread about this, it has changed my life. I not 100%, because I like my vegetables cooked sometimes and I still enjoy a bit of fish and lean meat sometimes, but even being 90-90% raw has made an impact on my life. My energy levels have sky rocketed, I feel so much better. I haven't felt this amazing in my whole life, even after losing 80 lbs. There are people who can do 100% easily, it works for them. I'm just not a nazi. I just know that putting these awesome, alive foods in my has made my body, mind and soul feel alive too. I feel like every cell in my body has just woken up :)

My mom was on the raw food diet... She felt really weak and tired most the time but she did lose weight, but the second she got off it she gained her weight back

m a newbie to bodybuilding, n a vegetarian too....

m not too sure abt what raw fruits and vegetables would help me gain some shape.!!...
please help me out, n send in some suggestion abt what and when to have raw fruits and vegetables..???...

That was an excellent video - thanks for posting!

hey srrsly...

a pretty good video...

every one should watch it..

thanks for he upload..

Back