Pro-Form a/c power supply adaptor

Hello All,

I recently bought a pro-form 500 ZLE elliptical, but I baulked at the price that Pro-Form want for a power supply/adaptor to allow you to replace batteries with a/c mains (wall power). I searched the internet and found a number of places willing to sell an equivalent power supply, but none nearby and nowhere was there a set of specifications that would let me buy a generic supply from a local shop.

By doing some tests and measurements, I now know the ProForm's power supply specifications. I Know this works for my Pro-Form 500 ZLE elliptical (electronics console with speakers and "coolaire" fan), it probably works for most other pro-form equipment with similar consoles designed to run from four 1.5 volt batteries.

Voltage output - 6 volts
Power output - 2 Amps (more is OK, less is not).
Connection plug - 5.5 X 2.1 (5.5mm outside, 2.1mm hole in the middle)
Plug needs to be wired "centre positive", i.e. the hole inside the plug is + and the outer sleeve of the plug is - (this is by far the most common way).
Pro-Form's documentation say that the supply should be "Regulated", so a "Regulated" or a "Switch Mode" unit will do nicely, but an "Unregulated" supply will not do.

Note: if your console does not have the fan, then you probably don't need the full 2 amps and could get away with less, but I cannot tell you how much less.

Many generic "multi-voltage" power supplies will do the job, I bought one that is switchable to give voltages between 5 and 12V with a power output of 2A, which included eight different power tips, one of which is the 5.5 X 2.1 needed by the pro-form (again its a common size). It cost me less than a third of what pro-form charge for their adaptor and the same as about seven sets of "D" cells.

Hope this helps others in future, it sure would have helped me!

Iain

Back