Out of the abyss; My continuing journey of enlightenment, physically, emotionally mentally.

Workout
bench 5x5x120 (+5), actually a fail on the last rep, only made it 3/4 of the way up, so this is my new target for next push day.
Leg presses 5x5x340 (+10)
Overhead presses 5x5x60
pec flies 3x8x140 (+10)
Leg curls 3x8x160
Leg extensions 3x8x140

Today’s workout

Cable lat pull downs 5x5x150# (+20#) not sure how I managed that, but I did!
Cable rows 5x5x130# (+10#)
Delt flys (machine) 3x8x90#
DB hammer curls 3x8x30# each side.

Assorted core work; calf raises, crunches, Roman chair.

might go for a bicycle ride later for some cardio

So I did, I did, I did go for a bike ride. Once upon a time, this was my favorite form of cardio, but then I became a drunk. for a long time my favorite form of cardio was sitting in a recliner. Getting back on it today felt really good. Only did a short ride, just to see how the body responded, but more and longer will be in the future.

Great job! Getting back to a form of exercise my body has been missing makes me feel so alive, it's the best.

Haven't been realyl active here the last few days. My wife came back from Florida and brought with her... a cold! Which I am enjoying immensely. No gym yesterday and today because of it. I'm feeling much better tonight though, so tomorrow's workout is looking good.

Great job! Getting back to a form of exercise my body has been missing makes me feel so alive, it's the best.
Went to the grocery store in a diferent town today and saw people cycling on another bike path very close to me. Will have to check that one out too. I love cycling.

Well, my official weigh in was 284.6, which I'll gladly take, given the week I've had. That's only a 1.4lb loss, however, I was only able to do any appreciable exercise on 2 days. Also haven't tracked calories or content for most of the week because of this cold. Cardio or even weights would have resulted in a coughing fit and I've been having my own little pity party, because I don't feel good.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be feeling better enough to function at a higher level. I have to do a brake job on my wife's car, get her bike inspected, then walk around downtown with her and my daughter's family. It's a food truck festival, but there are some interesting and healthier options mixed in. There is a truck that does Thai/Mexican fusion tacos that are actually pretty healthy. I'll just have to stay away from the Cupcake truck...

One day at a time brother. You obviously have determination and a strong will to go through what you have so far. Keep going.

Hello, happy Monday.

Had a good weekend. Got the brakes done on the car, but it didn't solve the pulsation issue it was having, which I attributed to warped rotors. Apparently something else going on. Will have to get it serviced soon and find out. Also got her bike inspected and on Sunday, we rode around Massachusetts on country roads. Did about 110 miles. Stopped at the Bridge of flowers and Yankee candle. Got home before the rain fell, so it was all good.

Today I hit the gym for the first time since last Tuesday. Had to do a hybrid workout, since I won't be able to go tomorrow.

Bench 3x5x110, 2x5x120# Started at 110 since I had many days off due to sickness, so I didn't want to overdo. Pretty happy with it to be honest. Next workout will do all 5 sets with the 120#
Cable Lat pull downs 5x5x160# (+10)
Leg presses 5x5x350# (+10)
Leg curls 3x8x160#
Leg extensions 3x8x140#
BB overhead presses 3x8x60#

Weight at gym in shorts, t-shirt and running shoes was 270.8# so down around 3.5-4.0lbs from last Monday. I'll see how that translates into my official fully clothed weight later in the week with full clothing and steel toed shoes, but it is a definite loss.

I'm still in that weird and wonderful place where I started off so out of shape, that I'm gaining muscle whilst simultaneously losing weight in a calorie deficit. There will come a time in the not too distant future where the plateau will hit on both. I'll ride the wave until then.

Operational theory for current plan;
Fact, while in a reasonable calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Sometimes at the expense of lean mass (muscle).
Taking that into consideration, my focus is on taking in a protein surplus in my diet, while still eating at that deficit.
By focusing primarily on exercises that offer resistance and keeping that resistance as high as I can reasonably do (without damage), I should be able to gain, or at the very least preserve, lean mass.
A lb of fat at rest does not metabolize calories, whereas, a lb of muscle does.
Somehow in all this, the theory is that if I maintain of even increase lean mass, while in a calorie deficit, what I lose in weight, ultimately, should be primarily fat, although there will likely be some fluids, nutrients etc.

3.5-4 lbs in the last week? You're doing very well, TDT. It's good to see you & your wife getting out on a decent ride.

3.5-4 lbs in the last week? You're doing very well, TDT. It's good to see you & your wife getting out on a decent ride.
Riding a motorcycle is "wind therapy". It's honestly one of those things that makes my soul happy. I can be active, be a part of the world in a way that a car cannot possibly help with, and also be grounded with all of the tactile senses engaged. Scenery looks, smells and feels more real on a bike for me. My wife didn't want to learn how to ride a bike, but then Can Am came out with the 3 wheeled Ryker models and she loves hers.

As for the loss, I have two reference days for me. Monday afternoon when I work out (shorts t shirt etc.) and Friday night at work in khakis, shirt and steel toed work boots. I'm still losing weight on both weigh ins, but they are definitely separate numbers. Once the contest is over in October, I'll just be using the gym scale reference.

Hey TDT, congrats on the weight loss, you are doing great.

I am impressed by your workouts, you are lifting a lot more weight than I am!

While this may be true, you have to keep in mind that I am also six and a half feet tall. Just keeping this body moving has to account for a certain level of muscle. Even if its hiding under some fat and loose skin, lol.

Congrats on that too, no small accomplishment!

Keep up the good work.
Thank you brother. This is actually the bigger accomplishment for me. If you saw me passed out on my deck, nearing hypothermia, in the middle of the night in January with a broken rib, not knowing how I even got there, you would easily see how much of a big thing 90 days of continuous sobriety is for me. I appreciate the support.

I’m in a weight loss contest at work. We all have to wear steel toed boots at work, so for the sake of keeping an even playing field, we weigh in on Friday wearing full work gear.
Oh right, I forgot about that!

I add my congratulations for your 90 day sobriety mark: may the day come when, looking back, 90 days will feel like just the start of a lifetime.

Back