One Step at a Time

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the pics and having the horses included in this journey :)

So I know I made a post about today already, but I did that in the morning. And after work today, I did a bit of a shopping to grab a few more things I needed (like measuring cup, a strainer, and such) and I'm honestly quite happy with myself. I walked by tons of junk food but didn't buy any of it despite how incredibly good it all looked haha. Though I was also hungry so that made it worse but I made it. Also looked at a bunch of foods I'd never seen before and found some weird types of noodles, tons of different types of peanut butter, some other diet type foods that sound really good but I can't have, and much more. Was kind of fun to read the nutrition label of all these different foods.

Anyway, the part I'm most excited about is the fact I found syrup that's really low in carbs! Like, it's at 7 or under for carb value and normally syrup is 25 - 53 for carbs. I know how to make keto pancakes and have been wanting those but didn't have the ingredients to make a syrup since some ingredients aren't easy to get a hold of in a small town. So I'm pretty happy I found this brand of syrup in the store so that I can indeed have my pancakes lol.

Oh, and generally, where I'm trying to be at for my fat, protein, and carb intake for each day is this:

30 g carbs - 96 g protein - 157 g fat

Or at least that's the goal to get to. I'm not going to be super strict on the numbers. If I'm over or under by a few, I don't mind. And i'm definitely not there yet, but it's a work in progress.

Plans for tomorrow, make some fat bombs after work. I find they honestly really help and once I get my fat intake higher like it's needed to be, all my cravings for sugary things goes away so that'll be nice. Plus there's even a keto cheesecake I can make and honestly, I absolutely love it and can't wait to make it again. It's awesome having desert foods that are actually healthy for you and don't make you want to binge eat it all in one go.

I may not be keto but I understand the joy of finding things that fit your plans and will still allow you to make/eat delicious food!

Another Update.

Today is officially day number 7. So it's been a week since I started this journey which is hard to believe. Feels like just yesterday that I started lol.

Anyway, I'm down another pound! So within a week, I went down 3.5 lbs. Pretty excited for that and yesterday I definitely felt it a bit. I look forward to continuing this and seeing where I'll be at the end of the month. I also realized that along with me going into keto, I've also been doing a bit of a calorie deficit as well so I'm sure that's also helping with the weight loss.
I've exercised two days in a row with the bike and going horse back riding, so today I'm going to give my body a bit of a rest since I am feeling a bit tired (mostly due to the fact I went to bed late last night). Then tomorrow I'll get back to riding and using the bike.

So ya, that's where I'm at right now. I'm pretty happy with the progress so far and look forward to this second week.

Another pic of me and Sam during one of our rides.
EL3PbN4U8AAfYWM

Keto in itself doesn't cause weightloss (except water weight at first), it just makes it easier for some/many people to not suffer while in a calorie deficit. That said: great work!

Lovely that you've had that great kick-start of losing 3.5 pounds - I'm with you, eager to see what the second week (and the first month) brings. :)
(I had to look up "fat bomb", by the way - it's much more approachable than it sounds to the unaware! )

Thanks everyone for the encouragement :)

(I had to look up "fat bomb", by the way - it's much more approachable than it sounds to the unaware! )
Haha, ya, it sounds pretty weird when you hear the word for the first time. But they're honestly very delicious little treats! And they're super filling, so I love having some around when on Keto.

- - - - - - - - - -- - - - -

Changes I've noticed in 1 Week:

Appitite is decreasing. I used to eat 4 eggs, 1/2 cup veggies, 4-5 sausages/weiners and sometimes a piece of cheese like babybell or something for breakfast. And normally would finish that off, or put a quarter of it away for lunch.
Now, I eat 2 eggs, 1/3 - 1/2 cup veggies, and 2-3 sausages/weiners. So my portion has basically decreased by half.

Even yesterday, I only ate about 4 sausages and nothing else but I was so full from it (they were homemade from my family butchering a pig last fall so they're also more healthy than store bought ones) and wasn't able to finish to my lunch. And all I packed was a salad and 3 pieces of sausage and a babybell. Yet all I could manage of, a little over half of that.
So I'm already starting to feel full longer and quicker and still have a decent amount of energy. I'm sure this'll vary a bit from day to day and what exactly I do in that day will affect it.

Another change is that high carb food/unhealthy food is starting to not sit right with anymore. I had a piece or two of popcorn one day and was fine. But when I had more than that, it made me feel a bit sick later. So I think my body is definitely going into ketosis or is working on it anyway.

A few tricks I've figured out to make this easier:
1 - when feeling snackish, chew gum and drink water instead. Flavor of the gum and the chewing tricks the body and puts off the cravings.
2 - Use a water bottle that's big enough it holds 4 cups of water at a time. I go through that thing pretty quick and it's the easiest way for me to get the 8 cups of water min in if not more.
3 - Don't weigh myself every day. This way it doesn't become an obession but a pleasant surprise whenever I do go to it and have lost a bit of weight.
4 - pre make meals a few days ahead of time.

Day 9

Current Weight: 213 lbs

Weight Lost so Far: 7.5 lbs

Today I actually remembered something I had a teacher tell me once (she was like a mentor to me and we had talked about weight loss once before as it was something she went through) and basically, the saying she used was "I'm so hungry I could eat a carrot".
Back then, I didn't get it. But now, I've decided to apply it. If I'm home and feeling snack-ish, I'll say that to myself. Usually by the time I get to the end of the sentence, I'll either feel like turning my nose up to the carrot (which means I'm not hungry at all) or I'll be like, "Ya, a carrot does actually pretty good". And it's actually been a pretty good guide to go by to know if I'm actually hungry, or just wanting sweets and such. Plus carrots are a much healthier food to snack on than sweets and goodies.

I also got today off and plan on spending it cooking. I'll finally make those keto pancakes, some fat bombs, and some other food for the weekend.
Fat bombs are going to be my best friend for weekends as I find once I get some days off, I snack A LOT when I'm just home doing other stuff. So I have my water bottle full and keeping it full and making sure I have nothing but healthy food around so even if I do slip and snack, at least I'll be eating healthy stuff.

"I'm so hungry I could eat a carrot".
Back then, I didn't get it. But now, I've decided to apply it. If I'm home and feeling snack-ish, I'll say that to myself. Usually by the time I get to the end of the sentence, I'll either feel like turning my nose up to the carrot (which means I'm not hungry at all) or I'll be like, "Ya, a carrot does actually pretty good". And it's actually been a pretty good guide to go by to know if I'm actually hungry, or just wanting sweets and such.
Very true. Although if I decide I´m truly hungry I´ll try to have something with a bit of protein and fat, like an egg or some nuts. Or those delicious fat bombs, of course!

My go to snack lately is yogurt and berries. Low-cal, yummy and filling! But yes good to find the snack that does us some good whatever that is!
You're off to such a great start.It's a pleasure reading through your diary. Such positivity!

Hey, carrots are pretty good! The saying "I'm so hungry I could eat a carrot"... (insert indignant spluttering here).
A nice fresh young carrot... just exactly right for a snack IMO. (I am not a rabbit. :p)

I'm so hungry I could eat a carrot
Like it, I'll have to remember that one.
I have my water bottle full and keeping it full and making sure I have nothing but healthy food around so even if I do slip and snack, at least I'll be eating healthy stuff.
Good for you, eating a healthy snack isn't really a slip. I guess it depends on how many, but you should be fine. Keep up the good work.

So this last weekend and couple of days didn't go to plan. Temperatures dropped (-37 C today) and I got snowed in one day, then had car trouble another day, and generally just bad luck as well personal life issues going on. So I wasn't able to keep on top of the eating plan I had and not doing too well, I'm fairly certain I gained some of the weight back. I haven't weighed myself really so I don't know how bad it really is.

But today I managed to go out and buy some groceries and I should once more be set to continue my plan. I'll probably do a weight update on Wednesday/Thursday as that will hit the 2 week mark. Crossing my fingers I didn't gain too much and/or I'll be able to lose this bit of extra weight I feel I've gained by then. Either way, this has been a minor set back but I'm still pushing on .

Temperatures dropped (-37 C today) and I got snowed in one day
-37! Yikes!

But today I managed to go out and buy some groceries and I should once more be set to continue my plan.
That's great. Yes things are bound to happen to throw off us off track here and there, but as long as we get back to it, it all works out!

Back